LJWorld.com weblogs honeychild's blog

Who Wants A White Christmas

Okay, first of all, let's get the innuendo out of the way... For those of you who I have had banter with in threads pertaining to race, this has NOTHING to do with the color of anyone's skin. Let's get that out in the open and get past it. So shut yer yapper if that's where you were planning on going with the question at hand.

I just looked at the forecast and it said that Salina is supposed to have flurries (with a high of 29) on Christmas day. I didn't look at Lawrence's forecast but you guys are only a buck and change away from Salina so if we get snow, it is a good chance that you will as well.

To answer my own question, I don't want a white Christmas? Why? I am already tired of winter. I told my 15 year old son the other day I am getting too old for this cold. It is starting to affect me alot worse than it used to when I was his age, or even in my 20s. It cuts through me like steel and is relentless... Laughing at me with an evil cackle everytime I have to venture outside my door. I don't like winter. I don't like 100 degree weather either but anymore, I'd take that over 10 degrees.

Do any of you actually welcome the white stuff?-- Snow, that is...

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

I think of it this way Mel... If I have to work outdoors in cold, snowy, sweaty when moving but cold when I stop, it takes a couple of hours indoors to really start feeling warm again. Or if it is 100 degrees out, high humidity, panting with every step, I can come in, take a quick cool shower, pop the top of a cold brew and feel great in 20 minutes.

I have learned to not hate, as hatred affects the hater more than anything or anyone else. But...

I dislike cold intensely..

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Okay, I will be the odd one out, and say that I love the snow. I feel sorry for the homeless because they are the ones who are most affected by it. Twilight, Twilight, Twilight!!!!!

somedude20 5 years, 4 months ago

my pops use to say "want in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills up first"

I will have a white xmas as I'm going to a place with snow......

maybe I'll take some desk knick knacks with me that I can take pictures of all over the city...hehehe

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

You're right Py! Since I am recovering from back surgery for the next 6 weeks, I vote for snow! Much prettier if I don't have to shovel it!

denak 5 years, 4 months ago

I want a white Christmas but since I have to drive to Raytown to see my folks, I would rather it snowed on Christmas Eve or Wednesday so everything would be clear and I can just enjoy how pretty it is.

Dena

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

somedude, my dad used to say the same thing! seriously! maybe we are half-siblings... is your dad a shrink who lives on the east coast? he is? wow-- dude-- we're family!! :D

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

roe, i intensely despise winter. is that worded nicely enough. ;P

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

py and mult, poor roe! it makes me think of that old "w/ friends like you he doesn't need enemies" adage. the visuals... tragic!!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

denak, i haven't been to raytown in AGES. i used to live in K.C., MO (down the street from UMKC) and occasionally would find the need to drive thru raytown or grandview. not that i needed you tell you any of this (you're probably thinking "okay... what's this chick's point anyway??")... lol

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

marion, lately you and i have been agreeing in different threads and it is starting to scare me.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

irish, you naughty naughty girl (re: "twilight twilight twilight"). just trying to drive me over the edge, aren't you? well you'll have to play paul mccartney's "simply having a wonderful christmas time" if you want to do that. if i hear that again i might end up choking whoever is in closest proximity to me at the time.

jacob.... ya think? hmm... well the rommulans don't celebrate christmas but on their planet i don't think jesus went by that name and had the same story/scenario he had on this planet.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

bob-- dude, i am going to hire jigsaw and have him set up an elaborate trap for you involving that mccartney song.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

i guess that cheesy synth is good for something! bwahahahhaha!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

queues up christina aguilera's techno-house version of the christmas song

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

moscow, autie? as in russia or kansas (isn't there a moscow, kansas-- seriously?)... i didn't know you were so well traveled.

i have been to minneapolis (ks), pittsburgh (ks), manhatten (ks), cuba (ks) and miami (ok). i'm a regular globetrotter i am. :)

oh, yeh, i've also been to little sweden (lindsborg). i can recognize a dala horse from 100 yards away.

this one's for jacob:

queues up anne murray's oh come all ye faithful

okay, jacob, just try and stay awake.... if you go to sleep the electrodes i've hooked to your temples will send lethal voltage through yer skull and will fry your frontal lobes like hashbrowns!

acg 5 years, 4 months ago

The Topeka channel 27 weather dude said last night that on Xmas Eve it was going to snow so hard that we may see thunder snow. Anyone else hear that? I hope it does. I generally don't care for snow, you know when I have to scrape it, shovel it or drive in it, but a good snow on Xmas will be nice. Got a four day weekend, as long as we have plenty of food and booze, it's all good.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

acg, yeh, i had looked at the weather channel's website and it said something about thunder, however, it didn't indicate that we (we as in salina) are supposed to get ALOT of snow like everyone is telling me. i am hoping the rumors of a mini blizzard are greatly exaggerated.

oh, and i agree about the food and booze. i'll have a 7&7 and a big ham and swiss sammich please. :)

trinity 5 years, 4 months ago

i do i do i do-want a white christmas that is! then off and be done with it! i'll be ready for spring.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

thanks, bob. i'm really going to crank up that mccartney song for that.

somedude20 5 years, 4 months ago

Honey, my father is Lothar of the hill people and as he is getting older, he is shrinking and so we could be (what is it that the rednecks call it...oh yes, kin.) we could be kin.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

is lothar of the hill people the same thing as a psychologist?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Honeychild, yes I want the snow, and yes I want a white christmas, with Bing Crosby, all the old traditional elements!

isn't there some song: "it never rains in southern Salina?" or is that California?

ACG, I saw the same thing ... "we're all gonna die!"
all I want is one or two inches of snow Christmas Eve night, that's all. just that.

Py has it right, the snow is so beautiful and it settles the land and all the sounds.

HC, just consider the snow little bits of sunshine, nnkay?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

i think they 90s R&B super group guy did make a song called it never rains in southern salina. i had forgotten all about that. these days i have the piped-in christmas music from my evening retail job running thru my brain 24/7. all i can hear is george michael's "this christmas" and eddie money's "everybody loves christmas" running in a loop along w/ that afformentioned mccartney favorite, anne murray, christina aguilera and celine dion singing ave maria.

now you know why i'm such a b*tchy mood.

staff04 5 years, 4 months ago

We got 2 feet on Saturday...think that if it is gone by Friday I'll be okay with it.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

^^^ staff04, where do you live? you got two feet of snow just a few days ago?

staff04 5 years, 4 months ago

Mel, I live outside Philly. We got nailed. Apparently this storm broke all the single day snowfall records. Luckily for us, the 23.5" was dry and powdery, so getting things shoveled out wasn't as bad as it could have been!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

oh okay, yeh-- i saw where the east coast got hit hard w/ the same stuff we got here in the midwest a week prior to... it started out really powdery here as well. there were lots of plastic sleds, gloves, snowboots and shovels purchased.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

mult, isn't it weird when you hear about someone on TV's social side from someone who knows them in "real life", perhaps even intimately?

my cousin told me about this friend of her's who dated an american gladiator-- i think the chick's name was "ice" on the show.

anyway, my cousin's friend said certain things about this gladiator that made me look at ALL of the folks on the show in a very slanted way. lol let's just say that steroid usage makes for a very interesting date. :/

KansasPerson 5 years, 4 months ago

Honeychild, I'm not sure, but I don't think that was the same storm system. The east coast got hit by wet stuff moving up from the south and cold stuff from the north. What we got wasn't a patch on what they got -- they are buried, but it sure is pretty to look at from a distance! :)

I could go for some snow on Christmas -- just hang around in the house with all the goodies and play some games and watch movies and so forth. But a family member has to work early on the morning of the 26th, so I'd better wish for moderate weather!

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

...Safe for me to come out now?....

Oh, and it's true about the steroids....

Not that I've seen....

I mean, uh...

anyway...

...That's what the big boys told me...

KansasPerson 5 years, 4 months ago

Here's a nice picture of the snowy aftermath of that nor'easter .... at least, here's what it looked like from a satellite.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 4 months ago

as much as i hate the cold and snow and ice i say yeah at least on christmas but i keep hearing ice in forcast so no to that.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

mommaeffort, i hear ya. i can deal w/ a little powder. i just can't deal w/ ice.

sounds like i'm talking about some hard core street drugs, doesn't it?...

anyway, kansasperson, salina got hit alot harder than larryville. we got almost a foot of snow. then it was subzero temps (minus 17 wind chill). then it was a very horror movie-like thick-as-pea-soup fog that lasted all day. so i say that atleast here in central kansas we deserve some decent weather. ;P

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

roe, in case you didn't read, your "friends" are planning on rolling you down a hill. i'd watch my back if i were you!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

mult, yes, i did see a little something about the big hubbub about the snowfall fight and the po-po pulling out his weapon of mass destruction.

them DC cops are on the ball.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

roe, this one's for you, cuzin:

12/22/2009

Salina police are investigating the theft of a pickup truck from outside the Rendezvous bar Monday. According to Deputy Chief Carson Mansfield, Salinan Joe Crist told police he stopped at the bar and left his 1994 Dodge 4x4 pickup unlocked but took his keys with him. When he came out later, the truck was gone. The truck has lettering on the back window, spelling “rednek.” Loss was estimated at $2,000.

KansasPerson 5 years, 4 months ago

Mel, I had forgotten that Salina got hit that hard! Yeah, larryville didn't get much at all.... maybe four inches at most.

Anyway, didn't mean to diss your snowstorm.... just making the obscure meteorological point that it wasn't the same system. No nor'easters in Kansas that I know of. What are some midwestern storm-pattern names? I've heard of Alberta clippers -- do they come down as far as Kansas?

At any rate, if we get thundersnow, I'll be happy!

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

2 grand is a lot of money for a rednek truck. musta had his beer cooler in the back...

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi, Did you see that even after he pulled his gun out someone nailed him right in the ear with a snowball? That took some..... well snowballs. The whole crowd was chanting, "don't bring a gun to a snowball fight." Looks like someone's going to enjoy some desk time!

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 4 months ago

I really hope it is not as bad as they say out west my 21 yr old ready to pop and do not want to have to drive in a mess out west.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

kansasperson, that's fine-- i just spoke w/ the snow storm and he said he doesn't feel dissed at all. ;P

the rest of the state has nothing on goodland tho. they start getting snow in october and stop getting it in april. sucks being them.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

roe, i was thinking the same thing. his beer cooler plus his weldin' torch plus his huntin' dog.

KansasPerson 5 years, 4 months ago

mommaeffortx2, maybe she'd better go in early!

True story: My grandmother was due to deliver her daughter (my mom) in January in far upstate New York. The doctor told her that she had the choice of getting admitted to the hospital a month or two early, or having the baby at home. She opted to have her at home, which worked out well because they were in fact snowed in.

Can't imagine having this happen these days.... either the doctor offering a home-birth option, or the possibility of being able to afford to check into the hospital weeks early!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

^^^ ksperson, those were the days, huh? my mom said that she was in the hospital for a full week w/ both me and my brother-- we were both born the natural way and not C-section. she said that was nice because it gave her time to recuperate a bit before going home w/ a newborn.

KansasPerson 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi, wonder if that was the December storm .... let me think.... might have been 1985 or 1987.... where Lawrence got about a foot of snow. I remember it well because I had to go to the airport and I barely made it.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

Honeychild, the backstory is: the real torture they used to make the Gitmo guests talk and ive up all there secrets was that they played Celine Dion over and over and over, backwards and frontwards, night and day. inmates were losing their hair, losing weight, their faces took on a bug-eyed look, skin pale, and they started chanting: "life to Amerika ... Life to Amerika ... please help us, we're dying!"

you haven't heard of this because Celine's managers slipped some large money deposits to hush-hush it

one of the reasons the Illinoians don't want to become Gitmo-north!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

gnome, dude, did they play that mccartney tune? that's enough to get folks to confess, sign their life savings away and open their veins w/ rusty spoon handles.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

pilgrim, i used to think that way too... but now i can't take that biting cold anymore. especially when there is snow and ice AND arctic temps all at once. that mess kicks my ass. seriously.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

honeychild (Mel Briscoe) says… roe, i intensely despise winter. is that worded nicely enough. ;P

tumble, i could get some thermals. maybe i will. i just have to wash them first and drown them in fabric softener so they won't be scratchy against my oh so delicate skin. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The solution to scratchy thermals....

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

gnome, dude, did they play that mccartney tune? that's enough to get folks to confess, sign their life savings away and open their veins w/ rusty spoon handles.

along with every version of 'the little drummerboy' except the one by Lou Rawls!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

pilgrim, i'm 42 and have lived 98% of my life here so there ain't much more "manning up" i can do! i think all of the "man up" just got up and went!

since you're so rugged and can take the cold and i can't, you can buy me some of those cuddleduds or snuggies. i can just feel the fuzziness! :D

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

gnome, little drummer boy was never one of my favorites simply because of the repetitive nature of the song. i used to reluctantly sing in back in grade school.

wynton marsalis has a good version of it on his album crescent city christmas. but then again, the man can do no wrong in my opinion.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

okay, so annaundercover can do it so i'm going to copy cat her....

the awards for this thread go to:

best long lost half sibling post: somedude

best assessment of a crime did to a rednek: roe

best person who has ears bleeding from horrible holiday music award (its a tie): gnome and honeychild (hey, i can nominate myself-- especially after the audio torture i've endured as of late)

best proposed intentions of bodily harm to a friend: multi and py