LJWorld.com weblogs haskellnews commentary

Free slave labor from Haskell Indian Nations University Students in Lawrence, KS.

Haskell Indian Nations University in Lawrence KS has a smorgasbord of problems, poor graduate rates, no more sports programs, few BA programs to choose from, no air in a lot of their dorm rooms until last week and still a few rooms without air! And now Haskell is asking its students for free slave labor!

Haskell students are being written up for messy rooms then given 10 hours of community service (free slave labor from the students) this is a school where students need to study and graduate. Haskell has one of the lowest retention and graduation rates in the U.S.

These are college age students living in the year 2012, but at Haskell they are still living in the good old boarding school days. Most college students have messy rooms and we know of no other college that does room checks. At the least they are probably a violation by Haskell of its students privacy. We checked with KU they only do safety checks of their rooms and no write ups if their students have messy rooms.

Haskell needs to be doing safety checks, not room checks. Safety checks are when with notice to all residential students, facilities are going to check the rooms for bad wiring, no air etc., it has nothing to do with messy rooms.

Haskell needs to do everything in its power to retain students ( except for changing their grades ) not making them sign legal documents without an attorney present stating their rooms according to someone else’s standards are messy and then giving them 10 hours of community service.

Haskell students if you are reading this blog NEVER sign a legal document without an attorney present. Room checks may be referred to in your handbooks... this does not mean they are legal.

Students are not even given handbooks until they arrive on campus.

Students should you need help there is a free legal service in Lawrence: Kansas Legal Services, Inc. (785) 838-3401 708 W 9th St # 103

President Redman please help your students and put an end to room checks that go back to Haskell's boarding school days. If you can’t get the room checks to end (a lot of your students are being written on this room check matter) then maybe you need to look at replacements for your heads of housing and the staff who are writing up the students.

haskellnews commentary 09/19/2012

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

This is horrifying. Is there no oversight at all as to what goes on concerning the president and department heads at Haskell? It sounds to me as though it is getting worse than when it was a boarding school. Despite my attempts at researching the subject I have not been able to find anything on the web about who is responsible for HINU and how one would go about making the much needed changes. The BIE site has nothing about this that I could find, and their mission statement is less than useless it is so utterly vague as to be meaningless. Does no one in authority have any specific ideas as to how to solve specific problems at Haskell, or does no one know or care?

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

It's a Federal Institution Headed by the BIA. The problems? That's easy, but very hard to get anyone to talk about. Which is why nothing gets fixed. The main thing is that the apathy at Haskell is beyond explanation.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Sorry, I just assumed the Bureau of Indian Education would have something to do with this.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

No you're right, BIE. Anxious writing tends to bring out the typos.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

Btw comparing it to the boarding school that it use to be is ludicrous. Think about it, it was a school where children were taken from their parents and held captive. Some were beaten for speaking their own language and practicing their own ceremonies. Not only that they had a prison cell right on campus where they often placed "problem children". Have you ever been to the cultural center on Haskell campus? I encourage you to go there and read a letter written by a Native father begging for the return of his daughter. He was only asking because her time was "up" (she was only to be there a predetermined amount of time, which wasn't honored) and that he was sick and was afraid he was about to die. He only wanted to see her one more time. So for you to make that comparison shows the lack of respect you have for the people of Haskell. Indian children and young men built the very buildings on that campus. So, I believe if should stay in their hands and not go to anyone else. "getting worse than when it was a boarding school." What a joke of a statement.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

I have been to the cultural center. You are quite right and I am aware of the differences between then and now. I was attempting to use hyperbole to make a point. Should have phrased it differently. I didn't realize it would come across that way as I was typing it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

I did a story over this last semester for Haskell news. There's a host of problems with Haskell. Retention rates have everything to do with the way the administration treats its students. It's almost as if they want us to fail. This years registration was a joke with NO punchline. Student advisers don't help the students graduate. All of the classes that are on the checklist to graduate either don't have the same name as what's on the schedule or is no longer offered. The student is forced to asked their adviser "what classes will work for this one that you don't offer?" Then the adviser act as if it's the students fault they can't figure it out. As for the room checks, they do check for safety. However, the process is a joke. There's no real standard of punishment. I mean it's up to the RA on duty as to what's too dirty and who gets written up. Even further than that they have no REAL idea who made the mess. Many of these dorm rooms have up to four people in them. I have an acquaintance that was cited and given community service for something he had nothing to do with. Now having said all that, some of the students at Haskell destroy their rooms. I've been in some rooms where I couldn't stand the smell. So much so that it made me gag and I had to leave the room. Others treat their rooms as if they own them and modify them by painting it or hanging tree branches from the ceiling, etc. Unfortunately, this is common in Roe Cloud. Measures had to be taken. Free slave labor? Seems a bit excessive, but in some sense hard to counter. I don't agree with the policies and it is ridiculous that Haskell can mishandle the most miniscule of task. You want a bigger story? Talk about how Haskell gave Chris Redman money to buy a house and instead of moving to Lawrence he bought one in Oklahoma and is rarely around. He stays in a one bedroom apt. when he is in town. Lovely. Can't wait to graduate and GTFO. I wish that I could get my masters and come back to Haskell and make it work, but I heard the politics is ridiculous and I'm liable to choke somebody out.

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

Great comment ! No wonder Haskell can't maintain retention rates ! You are right the administration does NOT care, The BIE does not care. There are people in the community who do. Your president got money too buy a house in Lawrence and bought one in Oklahoma, that say's everything !

valveoil 1 year, 11 months ago

Just to clear up some of the stuff you talked about - which is more or less rumors, the BIE gave Redman assistance to move to Lawrence, NOT Haskell. He got a house in Oklahoma because his wife is still in medical school in Oklahoma. I find it admirable that he made sure her wishes and endeavors weren't pushed aside just because he got a position here in Kansas. Now yes, she could've transferred here and all that but I'm sure they, Redman and his wife, figured that out themselves. I'm sure once she has completed medical school, they will find the proper means to move to Lawrence.

"Rarely around" The president has plenty of responsibilities that take him away from the University from time to time. One of them is representing us at many conferences and other BIE related functions. He leaves our campus to find ways to help it.

It is obvious that you care about Haskell. If you aren't already, find a way to get involved. Seems like you have plenty of questions, go through the right channels and seek out their answers. Not knowing something only creates speculation. And when is speculation ever positive?

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

Ok fair enough. But why didn't the BIE just spend money on a home here in Lawrence. As far as him rarely being around? That was the case, but now he has to answer to someone other than his good buddy Moore. I know more than I lead others to believe, but I don't think it's any of their business. But how the BIE spends Haskell's money is MY concern as a student. The honorable thing to do would be to spend that money on a house here in Lawrence so when Redman is longer around the next president could have stayed there. You know that money could have been spent more wisely. It tells me that he doesn't plan on sticking around for long. Get real and stop defending the indefensible.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

Listen most mortgages are for at least 30 years. You expect me to believe that he will simply pick up and sell the house in a couple of years after his wife is done with school? I mean I guess it's possible if the BIE gives him some more money so he can buy another house. It's hard to be positive when I can't even get my Pell grant money in a timely fashion. As it stands I don't even get 15% of my Pell money on first disbursement. Less after you take out tuition and I'm in the negative when you count all the books I purchased this semester. It looks like it going to take about 3 months to get full disbursement on my Pell. How is an off campus student with a family of five suppose to make it with no assistance for 3 months? But Mr. Redman got him a new house and a cozy apartment to stay in, all at the expense of the BIE. While the students get dumped on by Haskell Policy. Get real. I should have transferred a long time ago. It's attitudes like yours that has allowed Haskell to go steady downhill.

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

@ 3rdiopen Room checks need too be stopped and if you are saying Haskell students don't receive all of their Pell checks at once that needs too be stopped too. Haskell is treating their students like children. As far as a house for President Redman goes, a lot of colleges have a house for the president to stay in during their time as president but they are not given money by the BIE too buy one that is not even in the same state as their college! Are you sure that's right? If so we think that would be a major misuse of taxpayers money.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

No we do not receive our pell all at once. Yes, BIE gave Redman money or "assistance" as Valveoil so elegantly put it. Haskell use to give out 85% on first disbursement and then 15% of it well into the semester (numbers according to my Pell grant amount). Last semester they changed it to where you get 15% 1st and then the rest 2nd. Here's the kicker. They said it was better because although they switched it, you would get all your pell in 6 weeks rather than 8-10 weeks into the semester as it was prior to the policy change. Well, I went in to turn in my paperwork for this semester and they said it would be 3-4 weeks for 1st disbursement. That would put us at 2 months into the semester (8 weeks). I guess the 6 weeks went out with last semester. I don't even know the time frame for 2nd disbursement. Judging from past experience it takes a few weeks after 1st disbursement to get the 2nd. So we're talking at least 2 1/2-3 months before we get all our just dues. I use that money to pay my rent months in advance so we don't have to worry about it. Guess what though, I'm worried about it.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

I will grant you that it is NOT abnormal for companies to offer assistance. The question here is what sort of "assistance". Speculation is never positive? I don't know. It does serve it's purpose in that it seeks to root itself into finding the truth. Am I wrong?

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

@ frankie8 The Bureau of Indian Education is in charge of Haskell. They are in Washington D.C. and they don't care about Haskell. Haskell we believe is the only post high school they run for Natives and again they don't want too be bothered and they show it in every way possible. No funds, barely any classes, a president who seems not to care, a lackluster board of regents and lack of oversight for the entire school for starters no president ever stays long before they are pushed out by the employee campus bullies. What goes on at Haskell has went on for a long time, it's not a university it is a boarding school. People need too start going to their congressmen. The Bureau is done with Haskell. The Lawrence community needs too come together and help Haskell turned into a community college. Here is a link too the people who give Haskell their accreditation they should be contacted. Haskell should NOT be accredited : http://www.ncahlc.org/

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you for the link. Do you think that letters to Kansas congressmen such as Kevin Yoder are going to change anything? I feel so bad about the kids who have to live at Haskel who have no way out. I imagine that some are going there because it is the only post high school education they can afford. What do you think of the idea of the government giving vouchers to students for a local community college such as JoCo? In this day and age is it still necessary to have one government for the Indians and one for everyone else, because, that is the way it seems to be.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, this is how it is. We are considered to be Sui Generis.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Having never heard the term before, I had to look it up.

sui generis noun in its own category, in its own group, of its own character, of its own class, of its own classification, of its own denomination, of its own designation, of its own genre, of its own kind, of its own nature, of its own type, of its own variety, peculiar, special, the only one of its kind, unique Burton's Legal Thesaurus

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

@frankie8 It can't hurt because until it is bought to the attention of people like Kevin Yoder they no doubt have no idea what goes on at Haskell. We feel really bad for those students too. Some of them show up at Haskell with no more than two dimes to rub together and this is what they unknowingly walk into. Some like 3rdiopen will make it but most will leave. Vouchers are a great idea and we believe many Haskell students would take advantage of them if the government would give them the chance. We are still upset that the students were in all that heat and no air. That's how much Haskell cares about them.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

Sure let's just forget about all the disadvantage students. Not to mention much of Haskell's funding and existence is bound by treaties. It would take much more than just writing your congressmen. It would probably take some amendments. Good luck with that. I have a feeling Haskell will lose it's accreditation but your not helping anything by taking it away from those who need it most.

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

No one wants to make it worse, but someone has to look into the situation. Even you have too want better than this for your people.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

I absolutely want better for my people. It's even more frustrating as a student when you're catching hell from both side. Meaning Haskell and Lawrence community. So you understand why your comments are all the more upsetting. So, forgive me for throwing the race card.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

I am a Haskell Student. It is a University. It offers Indians the opportunity to earn a degree for next to nothing. It just sucks that we have other people thinking they have any business in our affairs. You can think what you want about Haskell. It says something totally different about you as a person when you seek to disenfranchise a whole group of people simply because you don't agree with how things are done. Which I agree it's not a good situation. Then you turn around and you want the property and the buildings and everything for yourself. As if you and the Lawrence community have "rights' to it. Lol. Don't fool yourself. Haskell isn't going anywhere soon. True it was a boarding school, but what makes you think it's okay to just take it away as you wish? There's no justification for it. Unless it has something to do with all the brown people over there. Does it?

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

We might be wrong about this but we think it has to have master programs before it can be called a university. No one wants too take it away from Native Americans just make it better. Nothing to do with skin color. We just see where having a community college could benefit both Haskell and the community the Haskell students could finally have what they deserve a real school. They are not being treated right nor are they getting the education they deserve. Haskell is a federal government school and the federal government clearly does not care about Haskell.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

You can get an education at Haskell. You just have to want it. I have taken many challenging classes. I for one think our school of business is pretty good. We are lacking in many areas (Masters Program being one of them). There are many professors at Haskell fighting for more programs. I don't know what to think anymore. Other than closing down Haskell isn't an option. Asking a Native from the reservation to simply accept a voucher and go to a predominantly white school just isn't going to work. It would be a far worse situation for them with a voucher. It won't pay for their food, it won't pay for the lodging, and it positively will not cover tuition at any Major University. Community colleges don't even offer BA degrees. So Haskell is better than any community college. Hands down.

Roh 1 year, 11 months ago

Wrong. To be considered a University, you only have to offer one degree at the baccalaureate level. Why Haskell was able to change their name from Haskell Indian Junior College to Haskell Indian Nations University when they first started offereing Teacher Education degrees.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

I think there are plenty of people who want that land and to get rid of the buildings. It will soon but up against the SLT, and will be prime real estate. Think of the strip malls and apartment complexes that could be built. There will continue to be more and more criticism of Haskell to try and get it shut down and sold off.

Roh 1 year, 11 months ago

Wrong! It does not take much to fact check. Go look up Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute or to http://www.sipi.edu/. This is Haskell sister school. They only offer two year degrees, but they are operated, just like Haskell, by BIA/BIE

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

@Roh Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute in New Mexico does not call itself a university only a institute, it appears that they offer many more 2 year degrees than Haskell does. The sad part is that back in 2010 they lost their accreditation and have not gotten it back yet. They are working on it though. You are correct they are operated just like Haskell by BIA/BIE which is a scary thing. Link: http://www.ncahlc.org/component/com_directory/Action,ShowBasic/Itemid,/instid,1508/

katatnite 1 year, 11 months ago

I have a male friend that lives at Roe Cloud he told me he regrets going too Haskell. He did not know they were going to lose their sports programs then he got written up for a messy room and had too go too the Roe Cloud office. They told him he needed to sign a paper stating his room was messy! He refused. He is a good student . He is not coming back too Haskell next semester. I think they lose a lot of students over ridiculous non-sense like this and a 100 other ridiculous things that go on at Haskell on a daily basis. He was in a room with no air and no one cared. Surprise !

Chicha 1 year, 11 months ago

I am a 1996 graduate of Haskell. I have a successful business due to my education at HINU. Why does Haskell have problems? Could it be because Haskell admits students that are not ready to leave home? (Students that do not want to clean their rooms).

Haskell should be the school that develops the Indian leaders for tomorrow and the Indian entrepreneurs to build the reservation economies. Haskell should raise the requirement level for admittance. The people that are not ready can stay home and attend a community college for their first two years. In our travels we meet so many people that regret not going to Haskell. The people that went to Haskell are grateful for their education. People that can claim a parent or grandparent or other relative that went to Haskell say it with a smile. ONWARD HASKELL!

bobandmywife 1 year, 11 months ago

@ Chicha Haskell has changed a lot since you attended. No sports, the students are treated poorly, they have a president that obviously does not care about them the list goes on. In an attempt to up their numbers Haskell probably does not have high admission standards at the moment. Just because a student has a messy room is no indicator that they are not ready for college. It could be just the opposite....it could mean are they studying so much that a messy room is not as important as their grades! For someone too walk into their rooms( which seems too be an invasion of their privacy) every week too see if they are clean or not and than asking them to sign a legal document stating that their room was messy is just wrong and possibly illegal and of a boarding school mentality which is where the practice stems from. Haskell students are 18 and over if they want to live in a messy room let them. I don't ever want to walk into a college and see every student room sparking clean...sounds very stepford wives to us and that's not a good thing.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

You are so right! First I think we would have to define messy because I bet it means something a little different to everyone. If you went into the dorms at KU, would they all pass the Martha Stewart test 24/7?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Found this in the Kansas City paper, it has to do with Native Americans and self-governance.

WASHINGTON — Growing up in rural Oklahoma on the reservation of the Chickasaw Nation, Kevin Washburn spent a lot of time at the local hospital, waiting hours with his mother and brother, who needed asthma treatments.

But he said something changed when his tribe started running the Carl Albert Indian Hospital under a tribal self-governance program: Customer service improved. His mother actually once got a call saying not to show up on time for an appointment because the doctors were running late.

“To my family, it was a clear recognition that it was a new day for the Chickasaw Nation,” said Washburn, who on Thursday won unanimous backing from the Senate Indian Affairs Committee to become the new head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Dean of the University of New Mexico School of Law, he told the committee that his “gritty personal experience” would help drive his push for more tribal self-governance.

The BIA is a division of the Interior Department, where Washburn, should he be confirmed by the full Senate, would become assistant secretary for Indian affairs. The agency serves nearly 2 million American Indians and Alaska natives. It works with 566 federally recognized tribes and manages more than 55 million acres of land held in trust for the tribes by the federal government.

At his confirmation hearing last week, Washburn said that in his writings as an academic, he has questioned the logic of federal agencies serving Indian people, saying, “The overall structure of having services provided by people hundreds of miles away is rarely effective.”

Indian self-governance has improved education, health care and other government services on reservations, he said, but converting immediately to a new strategy was “not the answer for every tribe.”

W. Ron Allen, chairman of the Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe in Sequim, Wash., said that Washburn possessed “a remarkable acumen in tribal affairs.”

His nomination drew letters of support from more than 40 tribes in 15 states and more than 20 other organizations, according to Democratic Sen. Daniel Akaka of Hawaii, chairman of the Indian Affairs panel.

The praise was bipartisan. Republican Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, noting that he and Washburn had attended the same high school, called him “a superb selection by the president.”

Washburn, a graduate of Yale Law School, is a former federal prosecutor and former general counsel for the National Indian Gaming Commission. He has also taught law at Harvard, the University of Minnesota and the University of Arizona.

He told the committee he was ready to run the BIA after spending most of his adult life “seeking to reform federal Indian policy so that it serves American Indians and tribes better.”

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/09/20/169187/indian-affairs-nominee-wins-backing.html#storylink=cpy

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

So are you saying that congress being hundreds of miles away from the majority of the states is rarely effective? Cause this is the federal government we're talking about. Listen, historically the federal government has at the very least attempted to protect Indian rights (as self-interested as they may be) against the encroachment of the state. If they took away they're "protection" over the Indian tribes then the states would just declare every treaty we've ever sign null and void. That cannot happen and you will see many people fight tooth and nail before we lose our status as Independent Nations. Domesticated or not. Indian preference has long since kept foreign interest from taking advantage of our people thru the BIA/BIE. I believe this is a good thing. We've been sold out one too many times. This is our biggest fear. I say why not groom natives to do the job? Even if it means having outsiders come in and "temporarily' fill the position while they train there Native predecessor. .

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

So, are you saying that reservations are in fact independent nations and are in fact receiving foreign aid from the U.S.? Would not that make Native Americans unqualified to vote because they are not citizens of the U.S.? This is not sarcasm but an honest question.
"Listen, historically the federal government has at the very least attempted to protect Indian rights (as self-interested as they may be) against the encroachment of the state." Would you please explain what you mean by this? I am puzzled as to what encroachment of the state means. Thank you.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

no we are not receiving foreign aid. We are receiving payment and retribution for lands ceded (stolen) from us by the settlers. As far as voting we were the last in the US to be able to vote. But we have dual citizenship. What I meant by my statement is this. When the settlers first started pouring in after the civil war that states and foreign entities started bartering and buying lands from the natives. The US federal government saw this as against their best wishes. So, basically they stripped Native from the ability to sell their lands. Although much of it was forcefully taken at gun point by the state not the feds. Courts made certain decisions sealing our fate as a people. Then we were put on reservations. When that wasn't enough they decided to go even further. In exchange for all the lands west of the Mississippi the federal government made treaties with Indian nations guaranteeing certain rights. Like the ability to self-govern, fishing and hunting rights, etc. We are Domestic Independent Nations. Under the protection of the federal government. States have no rights over Indian affairs. Only congress and nothing can be change without an amendment to the constitution.

Keith Buster 1 year, 11 months ago

Also, don't get the reservation confused with Tribal Nations. For instance my tribe doesn't live on a reservation. It consist of 10 counties spread over southeastern Oklahoma. White people live there too. lol. Although they live under Oklahoma law. The Choctaw Nation has it's own police force and courts. But if you commit a federal crime then the state courts still get you.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you! Did not know that and I am always glad to learn.