LJWorld.com weblogs Stop Me If You've Heard This One

How Many Guns Does One Man Need?

Need - noun 1. General: A motivating force that compels action for its satisfaction. Needs range from basic survival needs (common to all human beings) satisfied by necessities, to cultural, intellectual, and social needs (varying from place to place and age group to age group) satisfied by necessaries. Needs are finite but, in contrast, wants (which spring from desires or wishes) are boundless.
(BusinessDictionary.com)

A police officer acquaintance once told me no one ever needs a gun until he or she NEEDS one. From that I am left to assume we as individuals need to determine for ourselves what our needs are.

Using myself as an example I will determine my need for a gun.

Plinking - Definitely need one gun (minimum) for plinking. My first choice for a plinker would be a .22 rifle, scoped and in semi-automatic. Plinking can be done alone but for safety concerns and entertainment value is best in groups of two to five. Targets of opportunity, as I refer to them range from hedge balls, green walnuts, empty shotgun shell and of course . . . . golfballs. So I guess I need one. Always leave your plinking site cleaner than when you arrived.

WAIT!

Clay pigeons - Every Thanksgiving the whole Fam Damnly gets together for mountains of great food, old family recipes and new ones too, a chance for five generations of Dapples and the in-laws to get together. After the meal most of the male family (and some of the ladies) load up the four-wheelers and head for the hill overlooking the big pasture. Cases of bluerock, dove and quail loads and shotguns, mostly 12 gauge. My preferred smokepole for this task is a pump shotgun, 12 gauge of course. Guess that means I NEED at least two guns.

THERE'S MORE!

Target shooting - Yup, as in long range. Best way to do that is with a bolt action center fire rifle. The old eyes aren't quite what they used to be at ranges past about 80 yards so I have opted for variable power scope(s) in top magnifaction range of 12x to 16x. The count continues . . . looks like now I'm at minimum, three guns.

Three Gun Competition - 3-gun involves timed competition among shooters in Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun, mostly high capacity semi-automatic firearms. Although I've never competed in 3-gun, older gents than I still do so I really should have the correct guns in case I get the urge to try. Suddenly I'm at six guns I need!

Self Defense - Taking the Concealed Carry course five years ago was an unregretted personal choice. Deciding not to follow through and apply for the CCW permit was also a personal choice, however after a recent phone call I was assured there was no time limit placed on the paperwork and I still could turn it in. I'm a big guy, 6'3, 240, so would have no problem carrying any reasonably size hand gun. Or guns. The second one is always a surprise. The count stands at eight.

Hunting - Over the years I have hunted game from squirrel size to white tail deer. The guns mentioned so far will suffice for anything hunted thus far but . . . I've never hunted elephant. Or any of Africa's Big Five. For that I would need a large caliber, say .458 Winchester, That would help assure me coming back of my own power and not a mauled mess in a box.

That brings us to nine. Minimum. Firearms are mechanical devices and as such are prone to failure. With that in mind maybe there should be a back-up for each, and variations in manufacturer, caliber, finish . . . there's no limit to the different ways you can add to your NEEDED collection.

I know a collector who has over 150 Winchester 1894 lever action rifles. His goal is to own one of every variation ever manufactured based on caliber, barrel length, finish, limited production runs, etc. I think he is very close but he continues to scour every source trying to find one or two he may have missed.

My own collection is nowhere near as varied as others (I will admit to more than one but less than 1000). I once commented to a friend, "The secret to a large gun collection is never let the wife see all of them at once." Turns out she overheard me so the collection numbers took an immediate nosedive. Working (slowly) on changing that.

Now I know I haven't listed all the perfectly good reasons to exercise my right as guaranteed by our Constitution but I have much faith in the readers here. Y'all tell me now, another good reason to add to the vault!

Comments

mrchips 1 year, 10 months ago

Benelli Super Black Eagle for waterfowl Old-ass Coast to Coast 12 gauge pump gun (made by Mossberg) for home defense and shooting clay Smith and Wesson model 1500 30-06 with a Leupold Scope for killing big mammals Browning Buck Mark 22 pistol for fun Funky little Jennings 22 pistol ( kind of a piece of crap) Sweet little Savage 22-410 over-under for the kids (a gift from Grandpa) Remington 870 Express Magnum 20 gauge youth pump gun for the kids (also a fine Turkey gun for the adults)

unite2revolt 1 year, 10 months ago

I have 4 .22 rifles, 1 .22 pistol, 1 .38 pistol, 1 12 ga. shotgun, and 1 7.62mm rifle. I parted with one .40 S&W pistol that I regret parting with, I feel like it needs replacing. Afterwards I decided not to part with one agian if i could help it. I'd pick up more .22's without batting an eyelash, and I always thought I might like to have a 9mm pistol. I still don't have a decent center-fire hunting rifle or a CCW. So I am more than a few short of the number I "need" but for now it feels like enough. I need a new car worse than I need new guns.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Well axisbury I for one wouldn't want to face even a two shot derringer, regardless of caliber. when a gun is needed any gun is better than no gun and if you are comfortable with it that's what matters. I've even seen derringers in .44 magnum, something I wouldn't wabt to shoot.

By the wat, it's been many years since I heard the term "muff gun". Had to look it up to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding your comment.

asixbury 1 year, 10 months ago

Have one that is too big and scary for me to fire. (I've seen the bruises it left on my husband's hand!) Need to get one a little more small and cute for me...how about a derringer? Always wanted a muff gun!

Lonestar1 1 year, 10 months ago

You bet it does LarryNative! I'm a Democrat, Life Member of the NRA and never have enough guns! I think tuschkahouma hit it on the head with the comment about the GOP. My favorite firearm is the last one I purchased! Shinny steel and polished wood, in every caliber please.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 10 months ago

lawrence ks has to have most gun toting liberals per capita in the world.

ssteve1 1 year, 10 months ago

This is THE formula for determining how many guns a man needs (remember the headline?????)

n=n+1

Where n equals the current number of guns the man owns.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Gotta get me one of those before the season opens Jesse!

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 10 months ago

How many guns should a man have? The answer is the same as if you'd asked how many wives should a man have...As many as he can afford. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c...

Charlie Bannister 1 year, 10 months ago

Guns. When seconds count and the police are only minutes away. Got one in every room of the house, loaded and ready. Wife shoots as good as I do or better. Plenty of extra ammo. God I love this country!! The Second Amendment makes all of the others possible.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to stop by swampyankee! I don't see anyone bragging but everyone's perception on this could be different. Careful of that doorknob on your way out. ;-)

swampyankee 1 year, 10 months ago

I am drowning in a sea of comments save the small talk. Why is nescessary to brag about gun ownership or dare I comment about other shortcomings our posters may have' I have guns for hunting , protection and recreaction but have no need to one up anyone over it.P.S. my dog is not bigger than your dog

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

The gun I need comes with inertial dampeners and doesn't make a sound.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Good choice puddlegum! a great firearm with lots of history but not so pretty as to detract from you!

puddleglum 1 year, 10 months ago

the small bell sound you hear after you fire your last shot is the elevator kicking the clip out the top of the receiver.

gun i need; MP40 i am also very pretty.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Now my old daddy said the secret was to fire 2 rounds, toss an empty clip so it bounced against his helmet so it rings, then when the Japanese soldiers charged his position he had 6 rounds of 30-06 surprise for 'em. I don't know how he handled the extra weight but sometimes he carried the Garand AND a Thompson submachinegun. For a couple of months in the Philippines after the BAR became "available" he used that gun. It was his favorite until he was wounded and sent to Australia to recover. About 2 weeks before he was to go back the US dropped a couple of A-bombs and that got him sent home instead.

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

RoeDapple: No one wants those clips because of the way they give you away when your battling them Nazis; that clip rings like a small bell when it hits the ground.

Still see the effects of M-1 Garand on my thumb! Ouch!

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

Them Garands..it would be pretty cool to have one. Kind of xspensive for just cap busting though..it ain't like I got Uncle Ted dollars to blow rounds off. Like when Anthony Bourdain was down at the ranch whompin the woods with an M-60.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

The one great thing about buying a rifle from the Government Civilian Marksmanship Program is the amount of red tape you do not have to jump through.
No form 4473. No background check. Just go in with cash give your money to the Government and walk out with a high powered semi-automatic rifle and ammunition in battle pack bandoleers stuffed with the 8 rd enbloc clips.

Damn I love government programs!

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Haven't looked at that close R_I. Picked it up at an estate auction 20 some years ago and had the idea then it was WWII or Korean era. Now you got me curious, gotta run out to the bunker and dig it out!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Roe, hang on to them. Those 87,000 M1 Garand rifles we gave the Koreans back in the '50s are due back on our shores any day now, through private dealers, not the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Then you can bust up your thumb all you want. Was that the Greek stuff?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Four billion years from now, the Milky Way galaxy we live in will be smashed to oblivion by the Andromeda galaxy. Live it up while you can.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Hows come nodody wants my 30-06 in garand 8 round clips? Heck, the way I hears it the clips are worth more than the ammo!

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

I share what I choose to share bea, which, if you check the stats, we who lean a little right of center are a bit more generous than those who lean the other way. But if you try to take it all, if it results in whoever wields the sharper sword keeps his cookies, then so be it. I think the destruction of this planet is out of your and my hands. I also think mankind will be long forgotten when it happen.

If you haven't stocked up on tinfoil hats I have a plentiful supply of those too!

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

hey rabbit, I've got a bunch of 30/40 Krag rounds and no rifle.

and somebody....32/40 Marlin Ballard target rifle? I have three boxes of black powder cartridges.

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

And if I "want" to take some of your food, water and shelter out of my "need" for these things, and you insist on "protecting" them, then I "need" an even bigger weapon than your's ... which, of course, leads to atomic weapons that ends with the ultimate annihilation of the planet.

Now that the planet has been destroyed -- which is all your fault, by the way -- aren't you sorry your first instinct was to try and protect your food, water and shelter instead of figuring out a way to share our resources with those in "need"?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Ah, but bea, if one "wants" to protect his source of food , water and shelter he "needs" a means to do so.

(There I go with those pesky quotation marks again!)

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

One needs food, water and shelter. Everything else is a want.

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

One of each of the 8 old Winchester lever actions types

Model 60 (Henry) 44 Caliber Rim Fire, 1868 Model 66 Yellow Boy 44 Caliber, Center Fire, 1876 Model 73 Gun That Won the West 32-20 Caliber, 1907 Model 76 Teddy's Big Stick 50-95 Caliber, 1893 Model 86 Brownings Improvment 40-65 Caliber, 1897 Model 92 Caliber 38-40, 1896 Model 94 Caliber 30-30, 1896 Model 95 Caliber 30-40 Krag, 1907

Just those, who needs any more! Gathered many years ago, before the collectors set in

JJE007 1 year, 10 months ago

Squirrel season begins today. I'll be NEEDing the CZ 452 American .22 with the Leupold scope. The squirrels and I have unfinished business. The dog agrees...and so does the pot.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't help it if I have to buy a new gun every three days... they just keep going bad.

gl0ck0wn3r 1 year, 10 months ago

More than I need, fewer than I want.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Nah, ice water in my veins. I can stare down an oncoming train armed with little more than a flyswatter, juggle grapefruits in a buffalo stampede, cut donuts on the highway at 90 mph in a truck with three trailers behind and never break a sweat.

I do gets a little emotional 'bout the kids and the grandkids though . . .

labmonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Roe, does it make you a little angry that three ranting posts by eel kicked you off the front page? This is not right.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Well now innerpeace, I'm very honored you would sign up 2 months ago and save your first post for a blog of mine! Is your Henry one of the new ones or an older model?

innerpeace 1 year, 10 months ago

Henry .22, lever action, octagon barrel. Just for plinking, and the occasional varmit.

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh, and then there's that other thingy, but I cain't talk bout it. We justus shootz it off on the 4th of July.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

I may just go out and buy a gun, after all. But then I'm gonna have to shoot somethin'.

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh wait, I have a marshmallow gun, does that count?

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, those for me are more rubber-band pistols right now.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

I only need two guns.

/Flexes biceps //Kisses right bicep ///Kisses left bicep

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

But, but, but . . . . I needs all teh gunz!

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

"cultural, intellectual, and social needs (varying from place to place and age group to age group) satisfied by necessaries."

I think the bleed between "need" and "want" there is as boundless or infinite as your listed definition of "wants".

The same could probably be said about most needs, depending on who you ask. A teenager in a suburb would probably give you a rather different definition of "need" than, say, a Buddhist monk, or perhaps a child in Somalia.

So I'll grant you a need, so to speak, for one gun, for self-defense. Of course, its just as likely that you wouldn't actually need this gun, so let's just say 0-1 and call it a day. I'd say the rest, including the "needs" that you listed, are just "wants". If you can define necessity from those luxuries that you listed, then by all means feel free.

Of course, I see nothing wrong with wanting to own guns.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Dang autie, the ammo is still available! $30/box of 20 but if yours is vintage it could go for a bit more. Now them old Marlin 32/40 rifles at 5 grand a pop . . . might have to wait

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I gots bullets with no gun. Anybody know anybody that has a .32/40 Ballard?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

tbaker - Hell YEAH! . . . and make that typing "finger"

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

somedude - The M-134 is on my dream list. Surprisingly they can be found for under $60,000 and transferable (pre 1984 models). That would be the cheap part! At 4,000 rounds per minute an afternoon of shooting could cost that much or more!

lab - One of the plus sides of retirement . . . TIME. and plenty of it! (Well except for the visits to the doctor, grandchildren (no complaints there), sleeping in (when I can't sleep at night), trips to the vet for the other old dog . . . but you're right, sometimes the rusty, pitted,old, inherited, hard to find ammo for guns are the most fun. Maybe it's the memories attached to them . . .

tbaker 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm happy with a dozen or so, but I have friends who own hundreds. We're Americans. Our constitution says we can own guns. It therefore doesn't matter how many guns someone has. No one is forcing anyone to own one or keep one in their home.

P.S. Roe - save your typing fingers. Some people you just can't reach.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Now there's the tuschie I've learned to know and like! Do you actually read anything from the NRA? I admit I don't buy into all of what they say, but neither do I buy into most of the other side's BS. Thanksr for stopping by!

queequeg - I have six fire extinguishers placed around the house and out building. Don't know why, never needed one. I also have a generator in case the power goes off for extended periods. I HAVE used it a few times over the years, but probably could have gotten by without it. I have LTC insurance and life insurance. Lot of good the last one will do me . . .

LadyJ - I once had a set of antlers I wanted to hang over the fireplace. The Mrs said dead animals have no place in "her" house. I think the coyotes finally drug them off . . .

vertigo . . . offer's still good, give me a call!

labmonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Jesse's answer is about the same as mine. I am "allowed" to buy one per year, so that is usually a good one. I still end up picking one or two more cheap ones on the side. Next on my official list are a Siaga shotgun, a Ruger 1911, an actual WWII Gerrand (not a reproduction), an actual antique German Lugar. The last two have shown me that I have about all I want for shooting and I will start collecting.

Of all the guns I do own, my favorite to shoot is still the cheapest, an old Soviet Nagant 91/30 (year 1931, hex chambered, Tula Arms, open sites).

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

I always loved when The A Team (TV show) use to fire off 10,000 rounds and never hit a person but the BEST movie scene involving mass firing has to be the original Predator movie when they deforest about 5 miles of jungle after Blaine croaked

Mike Ford 1 year, 10 months ago

better yet I'm a Democrat that thinks the nra is full of it and a political pawn used by the GOP to deceive people away from real issues with non issues. There is noooo way all of the guns in this country could be taken away by law. automatic guns exist now in spite of the laws in criminal hands.

John Kyle 1 year, 10 months ago

I apparently don't NEED one. I've lived over 50 years without one and I'm doing just fine.

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

There's a few dozen rifles around the house, don't know what they are. Some were inherited, know there's one from the civil war. One from WWII, taken from the enemy, that one is mine. A few handguns around, don't know what they are, but I do know they shoot. I guess that's all that counts. I got tired of having guns stashed under the bed and stuffed other places and cleaned out a closet with a door and let him put a lock on the door and stash most them there. Well except for the ten on the family room wall and above all the windows. You just have to pretend they're not there when you are planning the decor in the room and hope they blend in enough.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 10 months ago

A lot less than I'd like to have but more than I can find the time to shoot.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

How many guns does one man need? It really doesn't matter because there is always ...one more...the next one you see that strikes your fancy. you must have it.

4 rifles 4 shotguns 3 pistols a long bow, a sling shot and a mean wife.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

frankie8, facetious? I liked your first response, definitely three to go on the list! And just as Fossick says, you can't have too many (books). But books in your possession left closed lead to a closed mind. Use it or lose it?

tuschie, I don't believe I've ever seen you post a two word post, but "over 100"? Wow, I'm gonna need a bigger vault!

blue73, when the kids were small we would shoot grasshoppers from the deck with our pellet rifles. Great for teaching aiming technique. I too like single action firearms but do not have one at this time. Need to work on that.

Ag, I'm hoping you have at least six then!

Ronda, Ronda, Ronda . . . I'd like to think you missed the point of the question . . . but Ima thinkin' you makes your own points! ;-)

Ronda Miller 1 year, 10 months ago

Just one gun Makes for self induced fun A shot heard round the world Whether shot against tin Or your own damn skin The thrill is in the triggering

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

I was just being facetious with my earlier remark to see if I could come up with a few. One simply cannot have too many books.

Blowin In The Wind Bob Dylan

How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man? How many seas must a white dove fly, before she sleeps in the sand? And how many times must a cannon ball fly, before they're forever banned?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist, before it is washed to the sea? How many years can some people exist, before they're allowed to be free? And how many times can a man turn his head, and pretend that he just doesn't see?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

How many times must a man look up, before he sees the sky? And how many ears must one man have, before he can hear people cry ? And how many deaths will it take till we know, that too many people have died?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

Fossick 1 year, 10 months ago

How many books does one man need?

blue73harley 1 year, 10 months ago

BB and pellet guns are fun. Both my kids had Red Ryders. Like any good father, I supplied the empty beer cans for targets.

I also like single action six shooters. I have a .22 and a .45 LC. I have made time to go plinking with them. Frankie's "Tombstone" reference reminded me. Best movie...ever.

irvan moore 1 year, 10 months ago

it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it

gravitykills 1 year, 10 months ago

It's a proven fact that a .410 shotgun builds character. But, you gotta have an M4 to protect the house.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

A Colt Buntline with a holster and gunbelt in case they approve open carry. Think Tombstone with Kurt Russel, Sam Elliott and others. Uzi to show you are pro-Israel Kalashnikov to show you recognize that the US and Russia are now allies -sort of.

riverdrifter 1 year, 10 months ago

Four .22 rifles, one .410 pump shotgun (the goodie) , 7 other shotguns from the sublime to the rediculous and 5 rifles, the same. Got no use for a handgun.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Really bea? Have you met him? Looks like a porcupine in this pic, huh?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Can be expensive, thuja. Not much in the market to buy now that I'm retired. Plenty of time now to enjoy shooting them though.

"tange" - "It" wasn't easy but "I" tried to "minimize" my use of "quotation" marks this time. How did I "do"?

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

I think your picture is of the next governor of Arizona.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

"... In my coat of many carbines My momma made for me...."

/ snug guns

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Let me know if you do snap. Just might have a can of 30-06 in Garand 8 round clips I don't need.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Missed you bea, glad you're okay!

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Well alcoholbliss, it's never a good idea to assume others would do the same as you. The CCW holders I know would never want to be percieved as menacing or threatening. Happy maybe, but there's much more to being happy than playing with your . . . whatever.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

Roe, yup, it's a 30-06. I'm thinking I should get a Garand or an 03 Springfield to keep it company.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 10 months ago

I guess I don't get the point of carrying one around concealed if you still can't pull it out and play with it while looking menacing, threatening or just overly happy?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Blue I dabbled in black powder for a few years then opted out. The only muzzle loader I own now is a modern Savage capable of using smokeless powder. .50 cal with sabots for shooting jacketed .45's. Have had it nine years and it still has the tags hanging from the trigger guard. Gotta get that bad boy out and shoot it some day . . .

blue73harley 1 year, 10 months ago

I've got several black powder weapons that I bought just because I want to learn how to shoot them. One is a revolving carbine (reproduction of course!). The way things are going, it won't be until after I retire...

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

You do have a treasure there snap. 30-06?

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

Probably the most uncommon firearm I own is a Columbian Madsen M-47 rifle. Found it looking sad and lonely on a pawnshop shelf wearing its sling and a bayonet still in the cosmoline. Lucky me.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Another old quote - Beware the man with one old, well worn gun. He knows how to use it.