LJWorld.com weblogs Stop Me If You've Heard This One

How Many Guns Does One Man Need?

Need - noun 1. General: A motivating force that compels action for its satisfaction. Needs range from basic survival needs (common to all human beings) satisfied by necessities, to cultural, intellectual, and social needs (varying from place to place and age group to age group) satisfied by necessaries. Needs are finite but, in contrast, wants (which spring from desires or wishes) are boundless.
(BusinessDictionary.com)

A police officer acquaintance once told me no one ever needs a gun until he or she NEEDS one. From that I am left to assume we as individuals need to determine for ourselves what our needs are.

Using myself as an example I will determine my need for a gun.

Plinking - Definitely need one gun (minimum) for plinking. My first choice for a plinker would be a .22 rifle, scoped and in semi-automatic. Plinking can be done alone but for safety concerns and entertainment value is best in groups of two to five. Targets of opportunity, as I refer to them range from hedge balls, green walnuts, empty shotgun shell and of course . . . . golfballs. So I guess I need one. Always leave your plinking site cleaner than when you arrived.

WAIT!

Clay pigeons - Every Thanksgiving the whole Fam Damnly gets together for mountains of great food, old family recipes and new ones too, a chance for five generations of Dapples and the in-laws to get together. After the meal most of the male family (and some of the ladies) load up the four-wheelers and head for the hill overlooking the big pasture. Cases of bluerock, dove and quail loads and shotguns, mostly 12 gauge. My preferred smokepole for this task is a pump shotgun, 12 gauge of course. Guess that means I NEED at least two guns.

THERE'S MORE!

Target shooting - Yup, as in long range. Best way to do that is with a bolt action center fire rifle. The old eyes aren't quite what they used to be at ranges past about 80 yards so I have opted for variable power scope(s) in top magnifaction range of 12x to 16x. The count continues . . . looks like now I'm at minimum, three guns.

Three Gun Competition - 3-gun involves timed competition among shooters in Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun, mostly high capacity semi-automatic firearms. Although I've never competed in 3-gun, older gents than I still do so I really should have the correct guns in case I get the urge to try. Suddenly I'm at six guns I need!

Self Defense - Taking the Concealed Carry course five years ago was an unregretted personal choice. Deciding not to follow through and apply for the CCW permit was also a personal choice, however after a recent phone call I was assured there was no time limit placed on the paperwork and I still could turn it in. I'm a big guy, 6'3, 240, so would have no problem carrying any reasonably size hand gun. Or guns. The second one is always a surprise. The count stands at eight.

Hunting - Over the years I have hunted game from squirrel size to white tail deer. The guns mentioned so far will suffice for anything hunted thus far but . . . I've never hunted elephant. Or any of Africa's Big Five. For that I would need a large caliber, say .458 Winchester, That would help assure me coming back of my own power and not a mauled mess in a box.

That brings us to nine. Minimum. Firearms are mechanical devices and as such are prone to failure. With that in mind maybe there should be a back-up for each, and variations in manufacturer, caliber, finish . . . there's no limit to the different ways you can add to your NEEDED collection.

I know a collector who has over 150 Winchester 1894 lever action rifles. His goal is to own one of every variation ever manufactured based on caliber, barrel length, finish, limited production runs, etc. I think he is very close but he continues to scour every source trying to find one or two he may have missed.

My own collection is nowhere near as varied as others (I will admit to more than one but less than 1000). I once commented to a friend, "The secret to a large gun collection is never let the wife see all of them at once." Turns out she overheard me so the collection numbers took an immediate nosedive. Working (slowly) on changing that.

Now I know I haven't listed all the perfectly good reasons to exercise my right as guaranteed by our Constitution but I have much faith in the readers here. Y'all tell me now, another good reason to add to the vault!

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Another old quote - Beware the man with one old, well worn gun. He knows how to use it.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Probably the most uncommon firearm I own is a Columbian Madsen M-47 rifle. Found it looking sad and lonely on a pawnshop shelf wearing its sling and a bayonet still in the cosmoline. Lucky me.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 6 months ago

Mine is an Arisaka Type 99, with bayonet, my g-pa brought back from Okinawa after WWII--still has the mum intact. Not as uncommon as the Columbian M-47, or maybe it is (with the chrysanthemum).

imastinker 2 years, 6 months ago

The makers marks were only removed from the guns that were collected after the war. The Japanese ground the mark off to protect their honor. None of the guns confiscated during the war had the mark removed, and any that the GI's collected would likely have the mark.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

You do have a treasure there snap. 30-06?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Blue I dabbled in black powder for a few years then opted out. The only muzzle loader I own now is a modern Savage capable of using smokeless powder. .50 cal with sabots for shooting jacketed .45's. Have had it nine years and it still has the tags hanging from the trigger guard. Gotta get that bad boy out and shoot it some day . . .

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Roe, yup, it's a 30-06. I'm thinking I should get a Garand or an 03 Springfield to keep it company.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 6 months ago

You seem up to speed on your firearms, so this may not be news to you. Have you heard of the Civilian Marksmanship Program? It's a good place to buy a Garand from. http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Well alcoholbliss, it's never a good idea to assume others would do the same as you. The CCW holders I know would never want to be percieved as menacing or threatening. Happy maybe, but there's much more to being happy than playing with your . . . whatever.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Let me know if you do snap. Just might have a can of 30-06 in Garand 8 round clips I don't need.

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

I think your picture is of the next governor of Arizona.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Can be expensive, thuja. Not much in the market to buy now that I'm retired. Plenty of time now to enjoy shooting them though.

"tange" - "It" wasn't easy but "I" tried to "minimize" my use of "quotation" marks this time. How did I "do"?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Really bea? Have you met him? Looks like a porcupine in this pic, huh?

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

Four .22 rifles, one .410 pump shotgun (the goodie) , 7 other shotguns from the sublime to the rediculous and 5 rifles, the same. Got no use for a handgun.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

A Colt Buntline with a holster and gunbelt in case they approve open carry. Think Tombstone with Kurt Russel, Sam Elliott and others. Uzi to show you are pro-Israel Kalashnikov to show you recognize that the US and Russia are now allies -sort of.

gravitykills 2 years, 6 months ago

It's a proven fact that a .410 shotgun builds character. But, you gotta have an M4 to protect the house.

irvan moore 2 years, 6 months ago

it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it

puddleglum 2 years, 6 months ago

whoa whoa whoa,

you haven't seen unforgiven?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

I was just being facetious with my earlier remark to see if I could come up with a few. One simply cannot have too many books.

Blowin In The Wind Bob Dylan

How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man? How many seas must a white dove fly, before she sleeps in the sand? And how many times must a cannon ball fly, before they're forever banned?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist, before it is washed to the sea? How many years can some people exist, before they're allowed to be free? And how many times can a man turn his head, and pretend that he just doesn't see?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

How many times must a man look up, before he sees the sky? And how many ears must one man have, before he can hear people cry ? And how many deaths will it take till we know, that too many people have died?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 6 months ago

Just one gun Makes for self induced fun A shot heard round the world Whether shot against tin Or your own damn skin The thrill is in the triggering

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

frankie8, facetious? I liked your first response, definitely three to go on the list! And just as Fossick says, you can't have too many (books). But books in your possession left closed lead to a closed mind. Use it or lose it?

tuschie, I don't believe I've ever seen you post a two word post, but "over 100"? Wow, I'm gonna need a bigger vault!

blue73, when the kids were small we would shoot grasshoppers from the deck with our pellet rifles. Great for teaching aiming technique. I too like single action firearms but do not have one at this time. Need to work on that.

Ag, I'm hoping you have at least six then!

Ronda, Ronda, Ronda . . . I'd like to think you missed the point of the question . . . but Ima thinkin' you makes your own points! ;-)

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

There's a few dozen rifles around the house, don't know what they are. Some were inherited, know there's one from the civil war. One from WWII, taken from the enemy, that one is mine. A few handguns around, don't know what they are, but I do know they shoot. I guess that's all that counts. I got tired of having guns stashed under the bed and stuffed other places and cleaned out a closet with a door and let him put a lock on the door and stash most them there. Well except for the ten on the family room wall and above all the windows. You just have to pretend they're not there when you are planning the decor in the room and hope they blend in enough.

John Kyle 2 years, 6 months ago

I apparently don't NEED one. I've lived over 50 years without one and I'm doing just fine.

mom_of_three 2 years, 6 months ago

equating owning a gun to home owners insurance is like comparing apples to kumquats. completely different.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 6 months ago

Would've been better to compare with a fire extinguisher instead of insurance. A fire extinguisher is similar to a firearm in that they're both tools used to protect yourself.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

better yet I'm a Democrat that thinks the nra is full of it and a political pawn used by the GOP to deceive people away from real issues with non issues. There is noooo way all of the guns in this country could be taken away by law. automatic guns exist now in spite of the laws in criminal hands.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

I always loved when The A Team (TV show) use to fire off 10,000 rounds and never hit a person but the BEST movie scene involving mass firing has to be the original Predator movie when they deforest about 5 miles of jungle after Blaine croaked

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 6 months ago

The A-Team usually shot with the old Ruger Mini-14's, which are notoriously inaccurate. Ruger retooled their Mini-14 gun works back in 2003 and are now marketing the rifle as the new and improved Ruger Ranch Rifle. They're much more accurate today. I have an old school Mini and it actually shoots pretty good out to 250 yards (with iron sights). Definitely combat accurate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk84K...

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

Spray and pray, in Predator they didn't even see anything to shoot at. I kept thinking, dudes you are wasting ammo, you may need that and not have it.

Topple 2 years, 6 months ago

Who didn't have the strong urge to go mow down a square mile of jungle after that scene? I'd gladly wield the mini-gun, if I could lift it.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Lifting it would be half the battle. Managing the recoil is the other half. Even a weapon as heavy as the M-134 won't keep the recoil from pushing you backwards. Thankfully(?) in the movies they can do anything.

labmonkey 2 years, 6 months ago

Jesse's answer is about the same as mine. I am "allowed" to buy one per year, so that is usually a good one. I still end up picking one or two more cheap ones on the side. Next on my official list are a Siaga shotgun, a Ruger 1911, an actual WWII Gerrand (not a reproduction), an actual antique German Lugar. The last two have shown me that I have about all I want for shooting and I will start collecting.

Of all the guns I do own, my favorite to shoot is still the cheapest, an old Soviet Nagant 91/30 (year 1931, hex chambered, Tula Arms, open sites).

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Now there's the tuschie I've learned to know and like! Do you actually read anything from the NRA? I admit I don't buy into all of what they say, but neither do I buy into most of the other side's BS. Thanksr for stopping by!

queequeg - I have six fire extinguishers placed around the house and out building. Don't know why, never needed one. I also have a generator in case the power goes off for extended periods. I HAVE used it a few times over the years, but probably could have gotten by without it. I have LTC insurance and life insurance. Lot of good the last one will do me . . .

LadyJ - I once had a set of antlers I wanted to hang over the fireplace. The Mrs said dead animals have no place in "her" house. I think the coyotes finally drug them off . . .

vertigo . . . offer's still good, give me a call!

riverdrifter 2 years, 6 months ago

When I was in my 20's I became a life member of the NRA. I have long since abandoned it. As the years went by, I figured out that a common hunter such as myself gets a lot more bang for the buck from such groups as Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever and Quail Unlimited. A right-wing group, NRA doesn't really give a damn about ordinary foot hunters and does little (if anything) in the way of habitat conservation.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

You can't really blame the NRA for that. That's like signing up for the NAACP and complaining they aren't doing enough for white Americans.

I have my problems with the NRA, I'm far from a right wing conservative and get tired of their constant Obama bashing and fear tactics. But, I take the good with the bad, with all their faults, I do believe they are one of the strongest forces protecting the second amendment.

Fossick 2 years, 6 months ago

Au contraire, you just need to know where to look. NRA has a program called Friends of NRA, which raises money and gives 100% of it to shooting programs, range improvements, kids' gun safety and the like. In fact, this year it provided money to 19 different 4-H programs in Kansas, as well as giving a grant to Kansas Wildlife and Parks for their Women on Target and Becoming an Outdoors Woman programs.

The Lawrence fundraiser is coming up in August. Take your significant other on a date and you just might have a really great time: https://www.friendsofnra.org/EventDetails.aspx?eid=9635&sid=17

tbaker 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm happy with a dozen or so, but I have friends who own hundreds. We're Americans. Our constitution says we can own guns. It therefore doesn't matter how many guns someone has. No one is forcing anyone to own one or keep one in their home.

P.S. Roe - save your typing fingers. Some people you just can't reach.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

somedude - The M-134 is on my dream list. Surprisingly they can be found for under $60,000 and transferable (pre 1984 models). That would be the cheap part! At 4,000 rounds per minute an afternoon of shooting could cost that much or more!

lab - One of the plus sides of retirement . . . TIME. and plenty of it! (Well except for the visits to the doctor, grandchildren (no complaints there), sleeping in (when I can't sleep at night), trips to the vet for the other old dog . . . but you're right, sometimes the rusty, pitted,old, inherited, hard to find ammo for guns are the most fun. Maybe it's the memories attached to them . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

tbaker - Hell YEAH! . . . and make that typing "finger"

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Dang autie, the ammo is still available! $30/box of 20 but if yours is vintage it could go for a bit more. Now them old Marlin 32/40 rifles at 5 grand a pop . . . might have to wait

jonas_opines 2 years, 6 months ago

"cultural, intellectual, and social needs (varying from place to place and age group to age group) satisfied by necessaries."

I think the bleed between "need" and "want" there is as boundless or infinite as your listed definition of "wants".

The same could probably be said about most needs, depending on who you ask. A teenager in a suburb would probably give you a rather different definition of "need" than, say, a Buddhist monk, or perhaps a child in Somalia.

So I'll grant you a need, so to speak, for one gun, for self-defense. Of course, its just as likely that you wouldn't actually need this gun, so let's just say 0-1 and call it a day. I'd say the rest, including the "needs" that you listed, are just "wants". If you can define necessity from those luxuries that you listed, then by all means feel free.

Of course, I see nothing wrong with wanting to own guns.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

But, but, but . . . . I needs all teh gunz!

jonas_opines 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, those for me are more rubber-band pistols right now.

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh wait, I have a marshmallow gun, does that count?

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and then there's that other thingy, but I cain't talk bout it. We justus shootz it off on the 4th of July.

innerpeace 2 years, 6 months ago

Henry .22, lever action, octagon barrel. Just for plinking, and the occasional varmit.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Well now innerpeace, I'm very honored you would sign up 2 months ago and save your first post for a blog of mine! Is your Henry one of the new ones or an older model?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Oops, never mind! Just realized you wrote it is a .22. Not too many early Henry's that weren't .44's

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

When I was a girl I had a complete Annie Oakley outfit with a cap gun. I loved that gun, I was forever shooting it. Mom bought rolls and rolls of caps. I was the faster draw in the fifth grade. That was a time and place where you could wear your gun to school and have shootouts in the playground. Wyatt Earp was on TV and all the kids made jokes out of his name.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

Extra points if you know what U.N.C.L.E. stood for, and what was the Russian dude doing working with the American dude? He was cute though.

innerpeace 2 years, 6 months ago

It's a new one. I enjoyed the article, I'll try to visit more often.

labmonkey 2 years, 6 months ago

Roe, does it make you a little angry that three ranting posts by eel kicked you off the front page? This is not right.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Nah, ice water in my veins. I can stare down an oncoming train armed with little more than a flyswatter, juggle grapefruits in a buffalo stampede, cut donuts on the highway at 90 mph in a truck with three trailers behind and never break a sweat.

I do gets a little emotional 'bout the kids and the grandkids though . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm that way with ammo Jesse. I call the older ammo "stales". Gotta use 'em up before they go sour. Rotate the stock, oldest to the front of the . . . pile.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 6 months ago

Squirrel season begins today. I'll be NEEDing the CZ 452 American .22 with the Leupold scope. The squirrels and I have unfinished business. The dog agrees...and so does the pot.

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

One of each of the 8 old Winchester lever actions types

Model 60 (Henry) 44 Caliber Rim Fire, 1868 Model 66 Yellow Boy 44 Caliber, Center Fire, 1876 Model 73 Gun That Won the West 32-20 Caliber, 1907 Model 76 Teddy's Big Stick 50-95 Caliber, 1893 Model 86 Brownings Improvment 40-65 Caliber, 1897 Model 92 Caliber 38-40, 1896 Model 94 Caliber 30-30, 1896 Model 95 Caliber 30-40 Krag, 1907

Just those, who needs any more! Gathered many years ago, before the collectors set in

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

One needs food, water and shelter. Everything else is a want.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Ah, but bea, if one "wants" to protect his source of food , water and shelter he "needs" a means to do so.

(There I go with those pesky quotation marks again!)

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

And if I "want" to take some of your food, water and shelter out of my "need" for these things, and you insist on "protecting" them, then I "need" an even bigger weapon than your's ... which, of course, leads to atomic weapons that ends with the ultimate annihilation of the planet.

Now that the planet has been destroyed -- which is all your fault, by the way -- aren't you sorry your first instinct was to try and protect your food, water and shelter instead of figuring out a way to share our resources with those in "need"?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 6 months ago

Guns cannot be blamed for atomic destruction. They are wimpy, in comparison to atomic bombs. Your position is absurd. Guns are personal tools. Atomic weapons are the tools of the "tools" who wish to control EVERYthing. Atomic bombs are the tools of governments, which you apparently cannot control, and which are bothered by the mosquito...the gun. Guns are a form of protest and control that bothers the power mongers more than verbal protest, because the people in power are people! they can KNOW death if they step to far out of line. There are radical elements out there. Reducing radical elements may appear easy to the power mongers but reducing guns seems easier. Creating a world in which EVERYone is a criminal is the best way to control EVERYthing. The meek shall not inherit the earth until the angry all die...and then only until the angry voices among the "meek" rise again. If we did not see anger in your voice

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

Absurd? I went from RoeD protecting his own to his personally being responsible for the destruction of the world ... and you call that absurd?

I'm shocked, I tell you.

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

Writing in a convincing manner makes it no less absurd.

You should know that I would never blame you for destroying the planet. I blame your father (see below).

: )

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

I share what I choose to share bea, which, if you check the stats, we who lean a little right of center are a bit more generous than those who lean the other way. But if you try to take it all, if it results in whoever wields the sharper sword keeps his cookies, then so be it. I think the destruction of this planet is out of your and my hands. I also think mankind will be long forgotten when it happen.

If you haven't stocked up on tinfoil hats I have a plentiful supply of those too!

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

True tinfoil hats, or the cheap aluminum foil knock offs? Tinfoil hats work, while aluminum foil hats won't block any of the government's brain-wave machines. You aren't trying to peddle knock offs, are you?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Of course not! At least not to someone as knowledgeable about them as you!

;-)

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Hows come nodody wants my 30-06 in garand 8 round clips? Heck, the way I hears it the clips are worth more than the ammo!

labmonkey 2 years, 6 months ago

That is long after the oceans boil off in 1 billion years and the solar system's habitable zone move out to the Kuiper belt.

Topple 2 years, 6 months ago

Actually, space is a roomy place. Chances are, relatively little will "smash" into anything else when we meet our neighbor.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Haven't looked at that close R_I. Picked it up at an estate auction 20 some years ago and had the idea then it was WWII or Korean era. Now you got me curious, gotta run out to the bunker and dig it out!

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

RoeDapple: No one wants those clips because of the way they give you away when your battling them Nazis; that clip rings like a small bell when it hits the ground.

Still see the effects of M-1 Garand on my thumb! Ouch!

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Now my old daddy said the secret was to fire 2 rounds, toss an empty clip so it bounced against his helmet so it rings, then when the Japanese soldiers charged his position he had 6 rounds of 30-06 surprise for 'em. I don't know how he handled the extra weight but sometimes he carried the Garand AND a Thompson submachinegun. For a couple of months in the Philippines after the BAR became "available" he used that gun. It was his favorite until he was wounded and sent to Australia to recover. About 2 weeks before he was to go back the US dropped a couple of A-bombs and that got him sent home instead.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks bea! I'm sure my father would like being given at least partial credit for ending WWII!

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

And he would deserve that credit.

Mine too. All of the soldiers deserve partial credit (and for once I am being serious on this blog).

puddleglum 2 years, 6 months ago

the small bell sound you hear after you fire your last shot is the elevator kicking the clip out the top of the receiver.

gun i need; MP40 i am also very pretty.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Good choice puddlegum! a great firearm with lots of history but not so pretty as to detract from you!

Eugehne Normandin 2 years, 6 months ago

I am drowning in a sea of comments save the small talk. Why is nescessary to brag about gun ownership or dare I comment about other shortcomings our posters may have' I have guns for hunting , protection and recreaction but have no need to one up anyone over it.P.S. my dog is not bigger than your dog

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to stop by swampyankee! I don't see anyone bragging but everyone's perception on this could be different. Careful of that doorknob on your way out. ;-)

Charlie Bannister 2 years, 6 months ago

Guns. When seconds count and the police are only minutes away. Got one in every room of the house, loaded and ready. Wife shoots as good as I do or better. Plenty of extra ammo. God I love this country!! The Second Amendment makes all of the others possible.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 6 months ago

How many guns should a man have? The answer is the same as if you'd asked how many wives should a man have...As many as he can afford. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c...

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Gotta get me one of those before the season opens Jesse!

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

"Man repeatedly stabs himself and throws his own intestines at officers"? And is being treated at local hospital? I think you're onto something here Jesse! Where do I sign up for the Zombie Hunting Permit?

ssteve1 2 years, 6 months ago

This is THE formula for determining how many guns a man needs (remember the headline?????)

n=n+1

Where n equals the current number of guns the man owns.

Lonestar1 2 years, 6 months ago

You bet it does LarryNative! I'm a Democrat, Life Member of the NRA and never have enough guns! I think tuschkahouma hit it on the head with the comment about the GOP. My favorite firearm is the last one I purchased! Shinny steel and polished wood, in every caliber please.

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

Have one that is too big and scary for me to fire. (I've seen the bruises it left on my husband's hand!) Need to get one a little more small and cute for me...how about a derringer? Always wanted a muff gun!

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Well axisbury I for one wouldn't want to face even a two shot derringer, regardless of caliber. when a gun is needed any gun is better than no gun and if you are comfortable with it that's what matters. I've even seen derringers in .44 magnum, something I wouldn't wabt to shoot.

By the wat, it's been many years since I heard the term "muff gun". Had to look it up to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding your comment.

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

Lol...I used that term for that reason. Creates a double-take!

unite2revolt 2 years, 6 months ago

I have 4 .22 rifles, 1 .22 pistol, 1 .38 pistol, 1 12 ga. shotgun, and 1 7.62mm rifle. I parted with one .40 S&W pistol that I regret parting with, I feel like it needs replacing. Afterwards I decided not to part with one agian if i could help it. I'd pick up more .22's without batting an eyelash, and I always thought I might like to have a 9mm pistol. I still don't have a decent center-fire hunting rifle or a CCW. So I am more than a few short of the number I "need" but for now it feels like enough. I need a new car worse than I need new guns.