LJWorld.com weblogs Stop Me If You've Heard This One

Reasonable Gun Laws

Oh, I'm sorry. That title should read "Reasonable Gun Laws As Seen By Gun Control Advocates". Laws that would make "reasonable" restrictions on guns the "reasonable" population of the U.S. would "naturally" want. Laws against . . .

Black rifles - You know the ones I'm talking about. Those rifles (and some shotguns . . . and some handguns) known in their confused world as "Assault Weapons". Guns that operate in semi-auto mode only, just as do many of the beautiful guns with high end finishes on walnut stocks with hunting scenes carved into the wood and etched into the metal. Guns that have detachable magazines that hold (XX) number of rounds. Guns that have rails to add any number of attachments. Those "scary" guns.

Machine guns - Ah yes, the misaligned tag given to black rifles. Machine guns are classified as weapons that fire projectiles continuously with one pull of the trigger, until empty or pressure on the trigger is released. Machine guns are already heavily regulated and other than for military and law enforcement go mostly to well heeled collectors. Most machine guns sell for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars and are stored in safes when not being used in highly restricted events. Any illegal machine guns in the U.S. will bring heavy fines and prison time, so "reasonable" restrictions are already in place.

Cop - - Killer - - Bullets - Okay, Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) are as human as you and I. In my estimation that makes any bullet a cop killer, and ultimately banning all bullets is the goal. For now though let's assume any bullet that will penetrate police body armor (bullet proof vests) are the rounds spoken of. Ballistic vests come in at least six levels of protection, I, IIA, II, IIIA, III and IV.

Type I protects from .22 long rifle up to .380acp. Type I typically is minimal coverage so a bullet in the side or underarm can easily defeat it. Each type provides increasing levels of protection up to Type IV, which is capable of stopping one 30-06 armor piercing round and several lesser rounds. Many common Big game rounds exceed the power of the 30-06, again, rounds for guns criminals would not be carrying while committing crimes. Cop Killer Bullets? Yeah, they mean all bullets.

Excessive ammunition stockpiles - Gun control advocates see no reason for anyone to have in their possession more than 200 TOTAL rounds of ammo stocked for their gun hobby. Some "weapon enthusiasts" have dozens to hundreds of guns, locked in safes where they can be sure they will be there when the owner wants to hunt, target shoot or do whatever lawful activity he or she chooses. Imagine the collector with forty guns, including handguns, rifles, shotguns and maybe that WWII .30 caliber Browning machine gun he paid $95,000 for. Even if he limited 39 of those guns to 2 rounds each, the remaing 122 rounds would give him all of 8 seconds of shooting enjoyment from the old Browning.

Sniper rifles - A sniper rifle, up until recent years, consisted of nearly "off the shelf" bolt action, centerfire, scoped rifles made by Remington, Winchester and a few lesser known but equally accurate brands. Nearly every medium game to big game hunter has one or more rifles that fit that description in his collection in callibers ranging from .17 Remington to .458 Winchester. In the capable hands of an experienced hunter these firearms can be fired precisely at ranges of 200yds out to 1200yds depending on what the specific caliber can do.

GUN SHOWS - The evil Gun Show. Where gun dealers, individuals, drug dealers, terrorists and blind grandmas go to buy, sell and trade, unrestricted by State, Federal or local laws. . . . NO! . . . Gun dealers must conduct business the same as in their place of business. Detailed records of every transaction must be kept, identification must be shown and just like his business he is subject to BATF inspection at any time, no call necessary. With so many new faces looking at his inventory he dare not risk the one in front of him being an agent. Civilians are not subject to the same restrictions, but if they sell a gun traceable to them they better ask for ID to determine the buyer is from the same state as he or it can come back to haunt him. Anything else falls under "innocent until proven guilty", as it is NOT American citizens responsibility to prove the buyer's history or intent is less than stellar. If the sale seems shady it probably is. Might be a good time to call off the sale or pay a fee to run the transaction through a dealer.

I have touched on just a few of the "targets" of gun control advocates. Others such as serial numbered bullets, "loopholes" and high capacity magazines are still the tip of the iceberg of all the varying ways they chip away at the second of the Bill of Rights. With a lot of hard work it will always remain in the Constitution so their right to attack it is protected too.

(No, that's not my collection. Sure would look good in Mamma's basement though!)

Comments

tange 3 years ago

OMG. Roe has sprouted spurious, curiously conservative "quotation marks." What next?

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Hey tange, that was the picture I was looking for to use on this blog! Thanks! (Saved for future use)

labmonkey 3 years ago

Don't forget about banning all lead bullets. Extreme environmentalism and gun control advocates unite.

Fossick 3 years ago

You forgot about flash suppressors, which can make even the most innocuous rifle look scary. They need to be banned as well.

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Love it! "Broke into the wrong gol dern rec-room didn't you, you bas73rd!"

RoeDapple 3 years ago

"tange", I don't really use "quotation marks" all that much. Do "I"?

labmonkey, as I said, the points I've made here are just the tip of the iceberg regarding attacks on gun rights. Silencers are another example. Hunters in some European countries are required to have these devices.

Fossick, you are correct that no one needs an elephant gun, unless they are planning to hunt elephants. The second ammendment was never about hunting anyway. The point is our right to own an elephant gun is protected if we "want" one. (There goes those pesky quotation marks again!)

Leslie Swearingen 3 years ago

What character in a movie said, "I am out of ammo! I am never out of ammo." There are four movies in this series and I bought them all, occasionally I will watch them back to back.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Burt Gummer. Also has cannon fuse. For his cannon, of course.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Many people are under the impression that the use of gun silencers by private citizens is illegal. Apparently that's not true, here's a website that gives you instructions to buy them for your weapons:

But, you can save a lot of money buy putting a potato on the end of the gun barrel. Quite a while ago, I read somewhere that works quite well. Of course, you will need another potato for each shot.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

I'm glad Roe clarified the potato myth. I'm no expert, but it sounded like a half baked idea as I was reading it ..... Sweet potato fries anyone?

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

Don't forget that thousands of drive-by bayonetting were prevented by the Brady Bill.

Fossick 3 years ago

What goes "cloppity-cloppity-cloppity-bang?

An Amish drive-by.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Ron. Potatoes as silencers comes from a 1920's Dick Tracy cartoon and otherwise is an urban legend. Silencers fall under Class 2 weapons and require a $200 transfer fee and background check each time you purchase one. You cannot sell it, give it away or loan it out without being subject to a $250,000 fine, 10 year prison sentence or both.

In other words, "Potatoes don't work for Dick!"

snap. Always a good idea to walk at least 6' from the road to remain out of reach. Custom bayonets are another matter as they could be any length!

LadyJ 3 years ago

I'm thinking of a gun with silver bullets for werewolves, witches, or other monsters, and a wooden bayonet for vampires. Now zombies, that's would be another story. According to this website http://voices.yahoo.com/how-kill-zombie-ten-best-ways-kill-zombie-4740282.html your silver bullet would need to be a .308 Winchester to the head to ensure the brain is destroyed.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Hi LadyJ. After extensive research (47 seconds) I find the bullet doesn't have to be silver or .308 Winchester for zombies as long as it is a head shot to destroy the brain. Rifle calibers are recommended so "up close and personal" can be avoided, insuring they don't get within biting range. Silver is mainly for werewolves and witches which, unlike zombies, aren't real.

LadyJ 3 years ago

I see you didn't include vampires in the "not real" category, so I should keep the wooden bayonet?

Liberty275 3 years ago

"Black rifles - You know the ones I'm talking about."

People are afraid of them because they are black. Pretty sick way of thinking, really.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Well . . . . the alternative isn't too pretty, and it IS the same gun . . .

Liberty275 3 years ago

It's probably water based and would come off the next time you showered with it.

gphawk89 3 years ago

There's an ad in the latest issue of my AR magazine for pink grips and magazine covers for the ladies who want to do some customizing.

Liberty275 3 years ago

I have a niece-in-law that would probably cut you if you tried to get within reach of her with pink grips for her .45.

uncleandyt 3 years ago

Why would anyone worry about the number of guns floating around? What harm could possibly come from thousands of shootings per year? The safety freaks need to get over it. Where would we be if Yemen overtook the U.S. in guns-per-capita ranking ? Number 2?? No thanks ! Who's to say that guns don't keep imaginary threats from becoming real. Shop on, Sportsters! Statistics show that most people haven't been shot.

Ockhams_Razor 3 years ago

Let's do whatever we can to protect our constitutional right to have 100,000 Americans killed or injured by firearms annually.

Jim Phillips 3 years ago

Given your statement, I take it you are in favor of banning automobiles and medical doctors as well.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

uncleandyt and Ockhams_Razor

With an estimated 350,000,000 firearms owned legitimately by upwards of 90,000,000 US citizens exercising their constitutional right to keep and bear arms you choose to blame them for the activities of criminals?

See my previous blog . . .

(I do realize you are merely trolling and may or may not be hoplophobes . . .)

uncleandyt 3 years ago

I'm merely serious. I have not chosen to blame crimes on the innocent. Many shooters are never caught. Many are never criminally charged. Every shooter had, or will have, a first time for shooting a fellow human. Thanks for not shooting me and most of my friends and family, and continuing wishes of safety and security to all the responsible gun owners. It's not about you. We have 9 guns for every 10 people in the US. Should we have more? should there be 30, 50, 100, 1000-round clips? should they be easier to get? We have the same TV and Radio. My TV and Radio lies to me. Radio wants me to believe that the hippies are coming to take the guns away. They've been working on it for decades. Guns = 350million, hippies take-aways = 0

RoeDapple 3 years ago

? Well I don't know about the old hippies you know but I have a couple of old hippy friends I shoot with. One even fired three shots at me from inside the house we shared back in the '60's when he was strung out on hashish and Jack Daniels, all in the past and long forgiven now. How many guns per owner are enough in your estimation? One? Five? Twenty five? Doesn't matter, because whatever number you choose, the next anti-gunner will say it's too many. Zero is always the objective when it comes to taking rights away from law abiding citizens. If I have 5, 50 or 5000 I will remain the same, respectful of the law, the Constitution, the U.S. and all its citizens. Even the ones who would take away my rights due to their cowardice. Oh, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama? I think U.S. gun manufacturers and the NRA should be giving them sales awards! All they have to do is think about gun control and sales skyrocket!

Jim Phillips 3 years ago

The real problem with "reasonable gun laws" is that the definition of reasonable (in this context) changes yearly. Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, one could call up Sears and Roebuck or Montgomery Wards and tell the real live operator there was a handgun/shotgun/rifle, item number 12345, on page XX of the current catalog, give the operator a charge card number and the firearm would be on the next truck to be home delivered.

Then the anti-gun crowd wanted "reasonable gun laws" and we acquiesced. In 1969, the laws passed in 1968 were not good enough and we needed stricter gun laws. Same thing in 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 19........ , and 2012.

Anyone see a pattern here?

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Glad to see you still have a little fire in ya thuja!

verity 3 years ago

Then I'm a major troll.

But there's no point pi$$ing into the wind.

Willbill 3 years ago

Great article! It should also be noted that in 2010, Aks, ARs, Uzis and all other semi-auto “Assault Weapons” as well as all other rifles accounted for 358 murders nationwide. That is less than three percent of all homicides and comes to less than two per day. Not only does that mean that no one in you state will be murdered by an “Assault Weapon” or any other rifle this month but likely not next month, or even the month after that.

By contrast, over four times the number of murders, 1,704, were with knives or cutting instruments, over twice the numbers of murders, 745, were with hands, fists, feet, etc, and more murders, 540, were committed using blunt objects like clubs, hammers, baseball bats, etc.

Of course, citizen disarmament zealots and organizations ignore these inconvenient facts because they are trying to frighten the public into banning all firearms one class of weapon at a time.

Also, according to a Department of Justice study, of all the sources where criminals obtain firearms, they obtain firearms from gun shows the least often.

Source of gun:

Purchased from;

Street/Illegal Source: 40.8% Friends or family: 33.8% Retail Store: 14.7% Pawnshop: 4.2% Flea Market: 1.3% Gun Show: 0.6%