LJWorld.com weblogs Stop Me If You've Heard This One

Song Blog: Heaven . . . . or Hell?

Today's blog is about non-religious music that mentions Heaven. Or Hell. Or both, in the title, the lyrics or even the performers name! Please limit your posts to one song each including the title, the artist and a link or lyrics if possible.

(images and video from web sources)

Comments

bndairdundat 2 years, 11 months ago

gosh. multi did I ever tell you about the first time I went deer hunting? oh never mind. I've been thru hell ever since.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

David Allen Coe - "Ain't Worth The Powder"

"Ain't worth the powder, To blow me to hell without you"

gphawk89 2 years, 11 months ago

Metallica - Green Hell Dream Theater - Deep in Heaven Pat Benatar - Hell is for Children

Liberty275 2 years, 11 months ago

Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam. -The Vaselines

wmathews 2 years, 11 months ago

I'll contribute one of each:

"Gives you Hell" - The All-American Rejects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUATk...

"Heaven is a Place on Earth" - Belinda Carlisle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyB...

somedude20 2 years, 11 months ago

Warrent: "Heaven www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSdXtFJG20

Acca Dacca "Hells Bells"

The Cure: "Just Like Heaven"

John Lennon: "Imagine"

Tesla: "Heaven's Trail (no way out)" www.youtube.com/watch?v=4994186umUU

Talking Heads: "Heaven"

notaubermime 2 years, 11 months ago

"Heaven Beside You" by Alice In Chains for references to both heaven and hell

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Good mix of songs, good mix of posters! Thanks for all the variety folks and keep 'em coming!

Frank Sinatra - "Cheek to Cheek"

"Heaven I'm in heaven And my heart beats So that I can hardly speak And I seem to find The happiness I seek When we're out together Dancing cheek to cheek "

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 11 months ago

Py, I can't hear either version of that without changine stations. Cruel and unusual punishment for some of us.

Here ya go Roe, (sorry, I got tied up tonight) Iris - Goo Goo Dolls. (more of a song than most understand) http://youtu.be/NdYWuo9OFAw

blue73harley 2 years, 11 months ago

Hell in a Bucket - Grateful Dead

Pywacket 2 years, 11 months ago

Here's a tearjerker for ya-- Ebony Eyes, by the Everly Brothers.

I remember my mom playing the 45 when I was 3! At the time, the image of a plane crashing scared the bejebus outta me.

Here are the "heaven" lyrics~

Then I felt a burning break deep inside And I knew the heavenly ebony skies Had taken my life's most wonderful prize My beautiful ebony eyes

If I ever get to heaven I'll bet The first angel I'll recognize She'll smile at me and I know she will be My beautiful ebony eyes

This one even has a corny spoken midsection. Can't believe William Shatner has never covered it--it would be right up his alley! ;-)

sickofdummies 2 years, 11 months ago

Cant believe no one has said-

Heaven- by Bryan Adams

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 11 months ago

Heavens to Betsy - This is one hell of a blog, Roe.

Jay_lo 2 years, 11 months ago

Take it home riverdrifter it's all yours

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

Glad I got those two out of the way before Jay_lo buries the blog...

blue73harley 2 years, 11 months ago

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers, ZZ Top.

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

Saint of Me - Rolling Stones

And could you stand the torture And could you stand the pain Could you put your faith in Jesus When you're burning in the flames

And I do believe in miracles And I want to save my soul And I know that I'm a sinner I'm gonna die here in the cold I said yes, I said yeah

I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah You'll never make a saint of me Oh yeah, oh yeah You'll never make a saint of me

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Mercy, you all been busy in my absence!

"If We Never Meet Again This Side Of Heaven" - Johnny Cash

blue73harley 2 years, 11 months ago

Robert Earl Keen - Goin' Down in Style.

Yeah when you cross the border you ain't ever coming back And there ain't no redemption when the cops are on your tail The closest thing to heaven, is the great big Cadillac The city lights of Houston, or the fiery gates of hell They nabbed me on the hill that overlooks the Rio Grande

blue73harley 2 years, 11 months ago

Another John Prine tune - Jesus, The Missing Years.

The years went by like sweet little days With babies crying pork chops and beaujolais When he woke up he was seventeen The world was angry. The world was mean. Why the man down the street and the kid on the stoop All agreed that life stank. All the world smelled like poop Baby poop that is ..the worst kind So he grew his hair long and threw away his comb And headed back to Jerusalem to find Mom, Dad and home But when he got there the cupboard was bare Except for an old black man with a fishing rod He said "Whatcha gonna be when you grow up?" Jesus said "God" Oh my God, what have I gotten myself into? I'm a human corkscrew and all my wine is blood They're gonna kill me Mama. They don't like me Bud. So Jesus went to Heaven and he went there awful quick All them people killed him and he wasn't even sick So come and gather around me my contemporary peers And I'll tell you all the story of Jesus...The Missing Years

blue73harley 2 years, 11 months ago

He Was In Heaven Before He Died by John Prine

And I smiled on the Wabash The last time I passed it Yes I gave her a wink From the passenger side And my foot fell asleep As I swallowed my candy Knowing he was in heaven Before he died

blue73harley 2 years, 11 months ago

Devil Went Down to Georgia by the Charlie Daniels Band.

Johnny you rosin up your bow and play your fiddle hard. 'Cos hells broke loose in Georgia and the devil deals the cards. And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold. But if you lose, the devil gets your soul.

orangechubb 2 years, 11 months ago

Say hello to heaven- Temple of the Dog

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Highway to Hell -- AC / DC

webmocker 2 years, 11 months ago

"Heaven and Hell" Black Sabbath (Ronnie James Dio years)

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

This one suggested by Mrs Roe . . .

Glenn Yarbrough - "Baby The Rain Must Fall"

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 11 months ago

If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie I don't wanna go If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie I'd just as soon stay home

"If Heaven Ain't a Lot Like Dixie" Hank Williams, Jr.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi, Dave, Dist and Lab!

Some nice selections.

Dave - you need to join us again soon at a backyard event. It's been awhile. I hope all is well in your own personal heaven and hell. :)

Dist and monkey, you're included too.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 11 months ago

Of course this one was used in your last song blog.

Heaven help us, "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On" (Mel McDaniel)

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

No lyrics.... just a great metal instrumental:

Into the Lungs of Hell by Megadeth.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 11 months ago

Let me be the first to stretch the boundaries with a song that mentions the occupants of heaven and hell.

Charlie Pride, "Kiss An Angel Good Morning"

Whenever I chance to meet some old friends on the street They wonder how does a man get to be this way I've always got a smiling face Anytime and any place And everytime they ask me why I just smile and say

You've got to Kiss an angel good morning and let you know you think about her when you're gone Kiss an angel good morning and love her like the devil when you get back home

Well people may try to guess The secret of a happiness but some of them never learn it's a simple thing

The secret i'm speaking of Is a woman and a man in love and the answer is in this song that i always sing

David Lignell 2 years, 11 months ago

Pennies From Heaven – 1956– Frank Sinatra

David Lignell 2 years, 11 months ago

My Blue Heaven - 1956 - Fats Domino

David Lignell 2 years, 11 months ago

Knockin' On Heaven's Door (knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door) - 1973 - Bob Dylan

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Good ones Ronda! Maybe this one will bring in the usual suspects!

Dr. Demonto - "In Heaven There is no Beer"

Ronda Miller 2 years, 11 months ago

Yo, Roe

'Bat Out of Hell' comes to mind.

I think animal rights activists were after Meatloaf about biting the head off the bat too. Lol. Of course he now has rabies.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago