LJWorld.com weblogs fitness

Howard Stern vs. Gabourey Sidibe

Creative Commons Attribution: Silent K

Oh Howard Stern... how some love you and a great many loathe you! On Monday, Howard Stern was recapping the Oscars when he started making comments about Gabourey Sidibe from the movie Precious. As we all know, Gabourey is very overweight and Howard's comments are stirring up a frenzy on the Internet because of quotes such as, "You feel bad because everyone pretends that she’s part of show business and she’s never going to be in another movie... What movie is she going to be in? ‘Blind Side 2,’ she could be the football player.”

Creative Commons Attribution: gdcgraphics

While Howard's comments are his usual "shock jock" shtick, he also went on to say, "You just want to say to her, listen, honey, now that you’ve got a little money in the bank go get yourself thin, because you’re going to die in three years." This is where I personally think Howard went from asinine commentary to telling the truth, even though it hurts.

I have personally battled weight problems on and off for years. I've weighed as much as 285 pounds and know what it's like to suffer the consequences of being overweight. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, I've been through it all. It wasn't until my own little "shock jock," in this case my 5-year old son, told me the hurtful truth about my weight that I decided to do something about it. I hope that Howard Stern's hurtful truth will make Gabourey Sidibe realize that she's jeopardizing her health by being morbidly obese and that she will finally do something about it, if not for her own sake, then for the sake of those who love her!

What do you think about Howard Stern's comments? Should morbidly obese people be called out in hopes that they will change their lifestyle to help their health? Or is this just mean and cruel?

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't think it works. You can say whatever you want about the fact that I am overweight and it simply won't register. I don't think it is mean or cruel. If someone is fat, then they are fat. That is simply an objective fact. If you go further in making jokes at their expense, then it becomes questionable. My knees and back are now giving me pain, serious pain, and that is motivating me to lose the weight. Physical pain will take precedence over words any time.

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

First, who says that a person who is obese is unhealthy. There is more than weight that determines a person's overall health. I know quite a few people who are "thin" who have serious, serious health problems and who are more likely to die than some of my overweight friends. I have one friend who is obese and yet, she doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't have unprotected sex, works out and her stats are unbelievable. (Blood sugar in the 80's, cholestoral level is 100)

The point is is that, how does someone know how healthy someone is. Who is to judge that? Who is to "call out" that individual? Do you really think obese people don't know that they are obese? I don't think it is anyone's business to "call out" an obese person unless that person is a doctor (who I think a lot of them are too cowardly to do it) or a close family member.

The general public should just keep their mouth shut.

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

The general public should just keep their mouth shut.

whats_going_on 4 years, 9 months ago

Obese people are unhealthy because of their high BMI's, etc.

OVERWEIGHT people can actually be healthy and still carry a little extra weight. There's a difference.

whats_going_on 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyway, I'm sure she knows she is obese and I imagine she knows, and has been told, that she needs to lose weight.

His comments were pretty rude and he had no place saying anything (seeing as he promotes whores and all), although he's right to an extent...she's not healthy. Queen Latifah seems healthy, albeit overweight. She is clearly not and hopefully she realizes if she wants to save her life she's going to have to do something about it.

My hope is that people won't make her believe that being morbidly obese is okay and that she should "love her body" the way it is. Its the other extreme of telling girls they aren't skinny enough...people are also starting to tell girls that its okay to be obese. If she exercises and eats healthy, then she should love her body for what it is, but if she's trashing it, its a really really skewed and sad, false belief.

georgiahawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I think we should be able to make fun of anybody that does not look like me!

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 9 months ago

yep, being obese is a health concern, no doubt. no one disputes that.

howard stern is slime. i cannot stand the man. he is 2 steps away from being as big an a**hole as rush limbaugh, ann coulter and glenn beck and the guy isn't even political the majority of the time! i just get so tired of him deliberately being as insulting as possible. not just at that particular actress, at EVERYONE. he is sickening.

simm1 4 years, 9 months ago

howard, despite all of the money you are making, you are a COMPLETE looser. Further, as an African American woman, I say with all confidence, that greased face black NEGROID, that sits along side you is also a COMPLETE looser. The comments that both of you made about Gabriel are unforgiving. Who do either of you think you are. And trust me, I am not a follower of you, your black token or this garbage that you dish out daily; however, I could not resist responding to this crap when I read it on another, newsworthy site. Take this----I just spit on you from a distance.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 9 months ago

It's not a secret that many people who are obese are also emotional eaters. Therefore, I don't think it does any good to call someone out for being obese. They know they're obese, but conquering it requires a lifestyle change that is way beyond food. It has to do with being realistic, surrounding oneself with supportive peers and family, and deciding that it is something that they really want. She's obviously a bright girl and this break may give her the motivation she needs to get healthy, no thanks to him.

Who does Howard Stern think he is anyways? He's like a child that no one thinks is cute anymore, so he's desperately trying to get attention. "Look at me! Oooh, look at me!" He was bagging on Ellen Degeneres a few weeks ago saying that she wasn't pretty enough to be a CoverGirl spokeswoman. I mean, has he seen the woman's eyes and complexion? She has some of the best skin in Hollywood. He's no prize, for the record.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 9 months ago

oh hell no, this fool looks like a cross between big bird, big foot and a meth addict.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 9 months ago

Mel- Ha! He really does look like Big Bird. Awesome!

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 9 months ago

that's the whole thing-- do you ever see anyone who looks like denzel washington, george clooney, johnny depp, taye diggs, etc talking trash and saying rude, horrible things about other people's appearances? nope.

jaywalker 4 years, 9 months ago

"First, who says that a person who is obese is unhealthy. "

You have to be kidding....

jbiegs 4 years, 9 months ago

How many really old obese people does anyone know? End of discussion. Stern may be a slime ball but he speaks truth in this case.

Vic 4 years, 9 months ago

There is a big disparity between the thoughts of overweight vs obese. I consider myself a little overweight, but I am certainly not obese. This girl needs to do something about her weight if she not only plans to continue to work in Hollywood, but to continue to live. Stern was right about one thing. How many roles are there out there for someone of her size? I think most of us can agree with Stern's message, just not how he delivered it.

parrothead8 4 years, 9 months ago

Gabourey Sidibe can lose weight, but Howard Stern will always be ugly.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh share the same birthday -- coincidence? I think not, since they both are the stuff that lives underneath slime.

So Stern called the big girl out, like she didn't know she was big. Oh gee, how meaningful. Just a clue for Stern, if Gabourey had been a petite size 4 she never would have gotten the part! We know who she is because she is a big girl, just as we know who he is just because he is a horse's ass. How anyone listens to him is truly beyond me. Just goes to prove how simple minded people really are.

Sadly, if she loses weight now that she is famous, Stern will try to take credit. Pathetic.