LJWorld.com weblogs Yes, I did say that!

User Names (UserNames) - Why are you who you are?

Did I say that? I had to go back to the first post that I made using the screen name of "Did_I_say_that" in order to recall why I chose it as a user name. The first post was to David Lignell's blog, "A Winter Treasure Hunt". My congratulatory comment included the age old question, “If a man is standing in the forest and makes a statement, but there is no woman to hear it – Is he still wrong?” Knowing, my tendency to be a wise derriere, I used my routine and patented rejoinder to those that dare question any of my verbal volley, "Did I say that?" The underscores ( _ ) simply fulfill some technological requirement that user names cannot have a space as a character. Ergo, Did_I_say_that, without a question mark, because the same system did not allow the use of that "special" character - the question mark.

It is interesting, that even though the user name is somewhat of a nickname, that other users tend to assign nicknames. This is mostly a matter of economy; however, it does tend to personalize the discussions. Most common for Did_I_say_that are DIST and Did_I; they are both keepers. I am sure that I have been called other things; however, those comments were "disappeareded" before I had a chance to read them.

You have a story. Why did you pick the user name that you did? Have you been tagged with any nicknames? If you could, without losing “your place in line,” would you change your user name?

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Having made an email address change and initially not getting a response from powers that be regarding changing that addy, I simply signed up as what I was feeling like for being ignored. All worked out for the better... though... I think...

Now get called Roe, RoeD..

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

1. through 3. pretty much covers it......

ontheroadfitness 4 years, 10 months ago

I use ABCD as my username for my Douglas County Dental Clinic profile... it's the one I use to post comments when articles about the clinic come up or when people are discussing oral health. ABCD stands for Access to Baby and Child Dentistry and it's the only ABCD program left in the state of Kansas!

This username simply goes along with the new personal training business I'm starting up! It's just a part-time venture for now, because I really, REALLY love my job at the dental clinic, but if I can help just a few people get in shape it'll be worth it! :)

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

The first real story that I wrote in college as a freshman, a fifteen page crime story called The Runner, had a main character named Jonas Chaplain, who is fleeing his past deeds and their consequences. The story, of course, was horrible (though not necessarily for a freshman), but the name kind of stuck with me, and I used it for my ku email address, and later for my internet name. The opines is rather obvious, I suppose. I like it because it makes it a full name, and of course for its actual definitional context. I try and be honest when posting, as much as my factual base allows, but I like to remind myself, and others, that my interpretations are my personal opinions, which can be agreed or disagreed with freely. (Provided that there's legitimate reason!)

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Cereal has always been an important part of my life.

shopgirl 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine is perhaps obvious and the story not as fun as others above. "Shopgirl" was Meg Ryan's character's username in the movie "You've Got Mail." She owned a small book store and the movie showcases the unique contributions of small, locally owned retail shops. I've co-owned several small stores in downtown Lawrence and I thought the moniker "Shopgirl" would do a nice job of suggesting my worldview and biases -- which are very pro-Mom and Pops.

infidel 4 years, 10 months ago

I have had many over time, though I come and go from ljworld, I have forgotten log in passwords over the years. My current one is just what I was feeling like the day I logged in and forgot yet another user id's password. The LJ world's password, is not one I consider an important one to remember, like my banking, email, work etc passwords. I think it is better to create a new one from time to time.

in⋅fi⋅del   /ˈɪnfɪdl, -ˌdɛl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-fi-dl, -del] Show IPA –noun 1. Religion. a. a person who does not accept a particular faith, esp. Christianity. b. (in Christian use) an unbeliever, esp. a Muslim. c. (in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kaffir. 2. a person who has no religious faith; unbeliever. 3. (loosely) a person who disbelieves or doubts a particular theory, belief, creed, etc.; skeptic.

tubs_of_love 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine are a lyric from an old Red Hot Chili Pepper song called "The Brothers Cup". "We're the brothers cup, comin' to you're town, bringing tubs of love, we're gonna spread it around". I think he's actually saying tons of love, but I like tubs better, it give me a visual of an old cast iron tub, full of hearts. I must draw you.

My other user name is pony_cart, not sure how I came up with it, but I almost like it better than tubs_of_love.

staff04 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine was based on being irritated with the way certain memoranda were addressed within the office I worked in during the time. It was a pretty small office (less than 10 people), yet the boss insisted on addressing things that were not to be circulated by labeling individuals as staff, followed by a number...the number I picked that day was just for the year--2004.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

well DIST, often I am referred to as BG or just Gnome, a rather fine single sylable.

the gnome was an ancient noble mythological character, hider/guarder of treasure underground in remote places. short and not good looking.

in Zork [does anybody know that game at all???] gnomes show up to help, and to say necessarythings to the traveler in this early basic RPG. there is a banker gnome, a carpenter gnome, and a simple "gnome" who imparts some useful information early on.

my name is self-descriptive in some ways, not saying which.

I've been posting for five years, I'm very happy with this name. briefly before that I posted two comments under another user name, complaining about a Rockhill monstrocity. I then promptly lost the password! hahaha.

I can honestly say this is my only user name, I do not have two or three going.

compmd 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine goes back to the early days of the public interwebs. I came up with the name since I had a knack from a very early age of fixing anything electronic, usually computers, and people referred to me as a doctor for sick machines. Hence, compmd was born. The first use of it was on IRC, back when I hung around a channel on dalnet with some local unix and network admins. Those were the days.

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

Back in the 70's we'd take canoes & tents and go out on the Kaw river camping on the sand bars, fishing, hunting and harvesting ditch weed which we'd sell to the big-time pot dealers. We never knew who they were but they paid cash. They'd take it and blend it with the 'good' stuff from wherever that came from. We considered ourselves to be too young to be called Kaw valley hemp pickers and not all that into it all that much, so we called ourselves the Kaw river drifters. We'd put in above Perry & float down to Lake View. We'd set bank lines and catch flatheads, the best ones we'd steak out and grill over apple wood with butter and fresh lemons. Most of us in this old clique are dead now (one just passed recently) & the rest of us might as well be. We're not worth much!

rbwaa 4 years, 10 months ago

mine is an acronym for a phrase that describes me - rb 'with an attitude'

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd hoped mine was obvious, but for those who need a hint: gp = where I lived on campus hawk = obvious 89 = when I graduated

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

Besides the obvious similarity to 'jayhawker', "jay" is a homonym for my first initial. And since high school and my first creative writing class I've identified with the motto of one of my first characters who remarks , "I'm a walker searching for something to believe in - in order to believe in myself."

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

"in Zork [does anybody know that game at all???]"

Oh, yeah! Probably my favorite computer game of all time. Wasted hours and hours sitting in front of my little green Apple II screen playing that one. Better than any "modern" shoot-em-up game in my opinion because it was all text - the graphics were left up to your imagination.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

That's what the grandkids call me so as not to get me confused with the other grandmothers.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

How do I get one of them there cool avatars y'all got?

trinity 4 years, 10 months ago

trinity=matrix movies, carrie ann moss is cool. just had to throw my 2cent in to an ljw story after watching the matrix; couldn't think of a cooler name. and i remember all the bob variations from back when. good stuff.

schula 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine is a login I used at a previous job -- first four letters of my last name, the first initial of my first name and the first initial of my middle name. Not very original!

alm77 4 years, 10 months ago

You guys are all so creative!! I wish I was. Mine is just my initials and the year I was born. By the way, it's pronounced A L M seventy-seven. People have called me "alm" as in "alms for the poor" in the past, and I thought it was funny how I read it in my head one way and everyone else had it differently.

I'm still choosing my avatar. The one I have right now is a picture I took of the old stop light on Mass and 23rd Street. It sort of looks like a cross, which I think is cool, 'cause I do love Jesus, but I'm not sure I want to keep it as I may get a reputation for being a Bible thumper or something. Or worse, get called out when I say something not-so-Jesus-like. Oops. The other avatar I'm considering is just some paper flowers, and that's 'cause I get referred to as a 'he ' on here sometimes. I'm not a 'he'.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 10 months ago

Bible verses Dylan verses Pretty much all I contribute

kristyj 4 years, 10 months ago

high school nickname. and the avatar: friends frequently compared me to Strong Mad from Home Star Runner and so one of them added my hair to the Strong Mad cartoon. I must win!!!!

twinetowngirl 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine...born and raised in the city with the largest ball of twine.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

honeychild because honey is natural, durable and versatile. and we are all children-- that child in us never leaves-- the outer casing just grows up and gets older looking. lol

also, because "meli" means honey in spanish and in greek (and, of course, my name is melinda). so for both of those reasons, the name is honeychild (ms. briscoe if you're nasty!).

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

as for my avatar, its just a cute picture of a puppy dog w/ sneakers and a hat on. for now. i'll switch it up later. i have pictures of my cats and stuff i can post too.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

donnuts, i like your avatar. tres cute!

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

oh yeh? was he from salina-- if not, then i'm not related. long story short, unless the person is from salina OR they are from or have parents/grandparents from the minneapolis, minnesota (had to make sure folks knew i wasn't talking about mnpls, KS) area, then nope-- not related. oh, and if the person is white and named briscoe... nope. lol my briscoe side is the darker hued portion of my family tree. ;)

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

and i would like to say i'm related to desmond briscoe but i'm not. that dude is from texas.

gutenberg 4 years, 10 months ago

I am who I am, Johannes Gensfleich zur Laden zum Gutenberg, txtng since 1439!!

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

^^^ ain't you the cat who published that bible that's worth a trillion bucks today? (got any copies you wanna unload?)

Aisling 4 years, 10 months ago

Aisling is from a Shane MacGowan song and I love the imagery of the song. My avatar is also a reference to Ireland and the images and memories from my last trip make me smile.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't remember all the details, but I chose my handle because of a story to which a number of posters - who were obviously teens - were posting about how sex and drugs are so cool and harmless; so I chose "OldEnuf2BYurDad", expecting to use it one time. I'm not old enough to be the dad of very many of you.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

Did anyone notice: "Marion Disappearded - 1-23-2010" has disappeared as well.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

It's a movie character!

I love baseball and comedy in general. Can the two be any better combined than in the movie, Major League? I also used to pitch. Most people just shorten it to Ricky.

Poster randysavage got the reference once and referred to me as "The Wild Thing". Someone else quoted one of my favorite lines from the movie to me: "We wear caps and sleeves at this level, son!"

I'm pretty new to posting on LJW...I think my first post was in response to the news of Michael Jackson's death.

IMO, this is one of the most interesting threads I've ever read.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

ricky, okay, i knew that name sounded family! duh! lol

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

gphawk89 (anonymous) says...

"in Zork [does anybody know that game at all???]"

---GPHawk89, you rock!!!

Con1, that's okay. you're not the only one. here are some other things hurled at me. apparently I am a: racist; sexist who keeps his wife naked and pregnant in the kitchen; homophobe; oppressor of the poor; person who doesn't understand the needs of the blind; troll; neo-con [alt: Bushy]; evil right wing christian; wingnut [alt: "wingut" {sic}] and a rich republican.

now granted, there's about a dozen others but those are really the best ones I treasure!

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

twinetowngirl- "Mine...born and raised in the city with the largest ball of twine."

Hey, I think I was born and raised just a bit west of you. Drove by the big twine ball many times per year on the way to/from the lake. And to/from Lawrence, for that matter.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

mine is a mixed meaning. NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws), and the question Are U? meaning, are you into what I'm into?

It also asks the question; are you normal? who is? Either everyone is normal or nobody is normal.

KansasPerson 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine's pretty obvious, I guess! I've been a KansasPerson in real life since 1986 (I moved here on a hot thunderstormy August day) and on the internet since about 2000. I was actually surprised that the name wasn't taken yet. I've used it a few other places besides J-W, but (DISCLAIMER) not all KansasPersons out there are actually me. I also hope to not get confused with the J-W commenter named "KansasVoter" (actually haven't seen that one around for a while).

I get called KS, or KP, or sometimes Kansas.

I'm lucky in that I've mostly been able to steer clear of internet altercations, and if someone does attack me, I do my best to open up a can of civil discourse, with varying degrees of success.

Most recently I've been called a dick (although a well-mannered one).

No avatar yet. I think I'm kinda rockin' the monochrome, no-neck-no-arms look.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

aw, c'mon, KP! you can get more creative than that!!

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

I wanted a name that stated what I was and I wasn't feeling too creative that day. Sometimes I think like a mom, and sometimes I don't.
It gets shortened to "mom", which is fine, because most moms feel like everyone's moms now and then, and MO3, and the derivatives.
I don't mind.

paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

It is a pattern that I like. Pretty boring huh?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

I wish animated .gif files would work properly on this site.

Sheila Hooper White 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't have a cool story behind mine either. At the time I signed up two of my children were very involved in dance. I would probably pick something different today. Most of my screen names have to do with being a mom. I think it's just easier for me to remember.

I have been called many things dance, dancemom, and so on. Some names haven't been nice but everyone has their own opinion.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm a girl and like rodents? Actually, I have them as pets and have worked with them in the past. I'm glad they allow avatars because the girl on the left is so pretty! Multi shares my rodent joy! On these forums I'm usually called rodent, or ratgirl if people dislike my point of view. I have been described as sweet and naive, and just last night, as an idiot. I also enjoy cheese and rummaging through the garbage.

Romans832 4 years, 10 months ago

A favorite Bible passage: He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

notajayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

KansasPerson (anonymous) says...

"Mine's pretty obvious, I guess! I've been a KansasPerson in real life since 1986 (I moved here on a hot thunderstormy August day) and on the internet since about 2000. I was actually surprised that the name wasn't taken yet."

You'd better check with the athletics department before you get sued for copyright infringement. ;)

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

also not with him am I. and grateful for it.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

"Ah, Jesus...I like him very much. But he no help with curveball."

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

There are nine number in a SSN and you only have seven. My avatar is totally obvious. My Mom gave me my nickname when I was a very small girl, I was her little Mariposa, always flitting around. I remember running around Kew with my arms outstretched. I would bend over the flowers and pretend that I was a butterfly taking up pollen. My world was happy and secure in the way that is only possible to a child who knows that they are wanted and loved. I looked forward to each day and at the end fell into bed and into sleep. There are moments, fleeting though, when I can recapture some of that.

ferrislives 4 years, 10 months ago

John Hughes movies were big during my childhood, and along with the Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller was one of the first clever movies for juveniles that I had ever seen. It didn't talk down to kids, it talked to them.

Ferris represents freedom and independence, and that's what I wish more people would be like.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm a tramp and sometimes I feel super but then I remember I'm from Kansas.

Or maybe I just plagarized the moniker from a character in some book somewhere.

Who knows.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

My momma gave me some scissors and a bible. I tried to improve Topeka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_C...

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

K_verses,

Yeah, I've been meaning to applaud you on your username. Noticed your m.o. in two posts, clever, and I like the lines you select.

ilovelucy 4 years, 10 months ago

I think mine is pretty obvious. Lucille Ball was one of the greatest comedians of all time. Loved her "chocolate factory" episode, the grape stomping episode, and the episode where she got drunk from drinking the medicine. The woman was pure genius.

Can't wait to hear how Tom Shewmon got his name!! (tongue in cheek)

notajayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Mariposa (anonymous) says...

"There are nine number in a SSN and you only have seven."

He's very old.

Or maybe his keyboard has some numbers that don't work.

[What was that old line from Steven Wright - 'I can't call everyone I used to call, my phone has no nine.' 'Wow, that's weird - how long have you had it?' 'I don't know - my calendar has no sevens.']

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

The name of my Cav. King Charles Spaniel. Not too tricky. I think I had just gotten him when I signed up. Bye the bye, he is a beautiful Ruby male.

labmonkey 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine is pretty obvious....most of my jobs have involved some sort of lab work.

KansasPerson 4 years, 10 months ago

AreUNorml (anonymous) says...

"like AIDS, starvation, earthquakes, tsunamis, mosquitoes, rapists, congress, etc.?

"also not with him am I. and grateful for it."

Norml, if you are secure with this decision, then there's no need to bring it up at every opportunity. It's gratuitous and makes you look shaky and insecure and not that mature. Just sayin'.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 10 months ago

Mine came from a frustration of the far right trying to label everything that they did not like as unpatriotic, especially the war.

It was a McCarthy era tactic they were trying to revive and I thought it very important to remember that being patriotic means not only puting your hand over your heart for the flab, but to defend the protect the Constitution, even if you disagree with the situation....that it was realistic to support our troops without supporting the politics behind the war...the one can love this country will all my heart and soul, and still be critical of the things that I think are wrong without being called a traitor.

I turned the tables. I started questioning the commitment to what America stands for when people tried to censor speech in the name of patriotism....when people tried to skip over the Constitution in the name of safety, or disrespected our great military by not demanding that the administration be honest and just in their call for war.

I love my country deeply and will fight to protect from ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 10 months ago

lol, wow...huge typo....that would be flag..not flab..however, in my big-boned case, putting my hand over my flab could also be correct.

passionatelibra 4 years, 10 months ago

I had a professor tell me I was too passionate for my chosen field. He said it must be the Libra in me. I think back to that every time my blood gets boiling.

That and something an ex-boyfriend once said >;o}

notajayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe it was 'hand over the flab to protect your heart.'

Marty_McFly 4 years, 10 months ago

I only trust people that use there real names like myself.

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

passionatelibra, I was hoping you'd make an appearance.

H_lecter: You're a revered blogger here. Clean up them fava beans and come up out of that dry cistern & fess up. See.

passionatelibra 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm debating with myself... oh what the heck... Why is that riverdrifter? You miss me :oD

I'm slowly coming back to the land of the ljworld living again... not smoking and witchy as hades.

BTW - The picture you put up on 12/22.... beyond breathtaking!

classclown 4 years, 10 months ago

It was just the first thing that came to mind.

Jimbecile 4 years, 10 months ago

My name is Jim, and my comments are usually off beat and possibly idiotic. Plus, it's fun to say.

Tom Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

...tmkatt? Derivative of a derivitave...picked up the "Tom" moniker at home, at 16, for how my scuffed-up appearance resembled our old tomcat...then, in the late '80s and early '90s I did a late nite blues show on public radio and in the total absence of an on-air name, a buddy started to refer to the show as Tomcats' show...I then illiterated it into tomkatt51 (since I'm a 1951 year model...) when I first set up an e-mail address...and then another illiteration for this blog, tmkatt...there ya have it if anyone really was interested in the first darn place...LOL!

Tom Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

yeah, yeah, I know...WAY too much information...quietly laughing...at me....

cthulhu_4_president 4 years, 10 months ago

In an age where two party politics has been reduced to the choice of the lesser evil by political pundits armed with shock-headlines, opinion polls, and non-troversies, one politician is not afriad to ask: "Why choose the lesser evil?"

zbarf 4 years, 10 months ago

Zbarf Gutnik Because people might think I am from Buxoro Uzbekistan. But I aint.

Devon Kissinger 4 years, 10 months ago

I guess it's because Colt didn't make a 46

Linda Endicott 4 years, 10 months ago

Back in the olden days of the net, my first e-mail name was "crazyfks"...being naive about the net and everything, to me it simply stood for "crazy, female, Kansas"...of course, other users took it to mean something far, far, different, so I don't use that one much anymore...lol

My username here simply means I'm crazy and I l live in Kansas...was born here, as a matter of fact, so I've been crazy a long, long, time...enough said...

Devon Kissinger 4 years, 9 months ago

@Did_I_say_that - Never would I do such a thing, blasphemy.

scopi_guy 4 years, 8 months ago

Years ago I saw a Scopitone player at an antique mall in Iowa. I was in the area a few times a year after that, and there it stood (they're pretty big) visit after visit (maybe because it had an $8500 price tag on it). I took a few pictures of it, including the grill (my avatar picture) because I thought it was really cool. Last time I was up there, it was gone. But the big box of discs that went with it was still there. It's the only one I've ever seen in person.

If you do a quick search, there are a few neat sites that tells the story of them and many of the videos can be found on youtube. I'm a big fan of them and would love to own one someday.

cowboy 4 years, 8 months ago

grew up as a kid when cowboys and indians WAS the game we played , had farm grandparents and spent summers there playing cowboy on grandpa's cows and horse , had horses most of my life and as I have aged a bit and found that money and fame was fairly unimportant came to the realization that all I really ever wanted to be was a cowboy .