LJWorld.com weblogs Yes, I did say that!

Guess That Online Editor's Nickname

Join in the fun as online users attempt to guess the embarrassing nickname of the new online editor, Whitney Mathews. Read the history of how this blog transitioned to such a high calling.

"UPDATE: July 8, 2010" Blog renamed from "Name That Online Editor" to "Guess That Online Editor's Nickname." This blog started out chronicling the various names that users were, in jest, giving to Whitney. However, somewhere along the line it was discovered that Whitney's mother has a pet nickname for Whitney. A nickname that she once used in front of our new online editor's friends. Whitney stated that, "You will never know that name." Thus, the challenge is on and the game has changed. When asked if she would admit to it when it is discovered, Whitney replied, "Of course I will." Ergo - Game On!

Be sure to read Whitney's Ode To Lenexa in the comment section below.

Whitney Mathews was recently named as the new online editor of LJWorld, replacing Jonathan Kealing. Kealing has become the assistant director of media strategy. This past week Mathews found out why she is should be paid the big bucks.

Sometimes blogs and comments can take on a life of their own. That was the case with the TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) - Un-Disappeardeded Blog. Whitney played the good sport as several users assigned her new names. This is one of those things that will stick to you, Whitney. Below is a summary of all of the names that Whitney was given on that blog. Actually, it is a list of all of the names that did not violate the Terms of Service and get removed.

Whitney was the target of a lot of teasing; teasing that was manifested by giving her a new name every time she was referenced in a comment. Whitney's good nature might have been put to the test. According to Ben Smith, the World Company Social Media Manager, Whitney took him to task for misspelling her last name. Smith writes about this in the blog entry, Way to go Whitney! "I survived her wrath after inadvertently misspelling her name," the wordsmith, Smith wrote. "Believe me, I will never forget, 'one t in Mathews,''' he lamented. Now, in all fairness, these words were most likely meant in jest since they were firmly nested in a blog entry lauding and praising Ms. Mathews (with one "T"). In truth, the teasing was the result of a user inadvertently referring to Whitney as Lindsey. From there, it was all downhill.

Name That New Online Editor Entries:

20. Brianna
  21. Winnie
  22. Leslie
  23. Sally
  24. Rachel
  25. Allison

Whitney has had quite an initiation into her new role. One could say that it was "Trial By Fire."

Congratulations on the new job and surviving this group, Ashley.

tumblr visitor stats

Sending a Private Message to Did_I_say_that, regarding the content of this blog, provides consent to use the content of the message.

Did_I_say_that can be Emailed here.

Visit Did_I_say_that's Blog Entries

*All images used under Copyright Law US Code Title 17, Section 107

Comments

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

Thumper Bambi Stinky Gertie Grace Puddin

Think I'm done now! LOL!

meggers 3 years, 9 months ago

Houston?

Winnie?

Nee Nee?

Witty?

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 9 months ago

I think Whitney is avoiding the guesses.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 9 months ago

My mom used to call me Fat Baby and I hated that nickname..... she even put it on a flower she sent to the school for Valentines Day when I was in 6th grade. That was so embarrassing at the time. Is it fat baby?

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm. How about: Tinkerbell Tippie Princess BoomBoom Bud YaYa Halfpint Kitten Missy Daffy Goofy Your Highness Red Pigpen Pippy

Okay, that does it for friends & relatives nicknames.

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sticking with Calamity Jane until Whitney says that's not it.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

Whittie-bittie

Her Mom may have used y's.

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

wmathews (Whitney Mathews) replies… "Not Whimsy."

"Well, that's not what your mother said last night, Trebek."

With a nickname like "Whimsy," I fully appreciate your denial. It's ok, I'll play along...

WInnie Pooh? Witty Poo? ( yeah, like you're going to own up to either of those )

Pascal?

Hmm... if this is not an exercise, could it be, uh...

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

I nickname her "Tuesday". That's my favorite girl's name.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

beatrice (anonymous) says…

HAL

There is a certain techi aspect to her role that is a bit scary, as she can close the cyber door on others and leave them floating out in deep space without a way back in.

---LMAO!

okay here's a few: "bootsy?"

"crumbcruncher?"

"electron smasher?"

"crusher?"

"queenie?"

sorry DIST, that song is boring, but maybe it is supposed to be...sorta kinda a droll thingy going on?

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 9 months ago

The Nickname Song tune can be addictive.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

HAL

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 9 months ago

Updated and renamed. Sorry, Multi - I forgot.

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

So, there's a competition, now? Nickname given by a mother?

Gotta be... Whimsey.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

so, is Whitney ignoring us, or has she left the building?

... or maybe ... just maybe ...

one of us got ... too close to that pet name

bwhahahahahahahahaha!

either that, or the servers are controling her mind again! somebody please help her! she's fallen and she can't get up!

Iam Tired 3 years, 9 months ago

"Sometimes spinach ..."

Olive Oyl?

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm going with Bill.

You all are forgetting Internet Rule #16: There are no females on the internet.

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 9 months ago

Laureate seems like a good name (Poet Laureate, that is):

"Town that drives the beating of my heart. Sometimes spinach makes me fart. With you my soul will never part. I even love the 87th St. K-Mart."

"My mom once used her pet nickname for me in front of a bunch of friends and I have yet to live it down. You will never know that name."

I love a challenge.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

and remember Witney [Whipney] according to one poster, since Jonathan is a man, he is likely a pig.

so who knows what you'll find in the desk drawers as you take over his cubical.

of course I imagine you there, with at least six different computer screens going at once, some monitoring the servers, some monitoring threads live, some on breaking news stories.
then you have two or three other videos like 6 live, tower cam etc., CNN/Fox news going, and maybe CNBC.
so I guess your cubical is probably pretty large now.

when you work, do you have to wear a green eyeshade with all that video?

or is your office now posted just outside the room where ljworld.com servers are located. that way, you hear it when there is a creeking, a groaning, or an explosion?

one day, you lean back in your cubical on a typical day, put your feet up on your desk, your head rests against the wall and through that wall you feel a steady hum of the servers? you doze off ... and the servers start controling your dreams?
the servers start directly downloading to your mind?
you see images ... a nine fingered monster, a guy named for a cereal jingle. you see mythical characters. you see all of douglas county as if you were an eagle looking down.

[knock knock knock] "oh!" you jump to your feet whiping at your eyes.
Jonathan has just paid you a visit and you don't want him to see you sleeping on the job, your wingtips resting on one of several keyboards in your cubical.
"whew" you say to yourself "that was a close one!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

I jes wanna kno how Skank4ever and hubby r doin in thir bait werm bidness in wIchta?

nd, weres the couch?

BorderRuffian 3 years, 9 months ago

Are we really sure, and I mean absolutely sure, that this JK getting kicked upstairs is genuine? It's highly possible JK is trying to "go under cover" here with a different screen personality. I mean, a lot of people here have sort of disappeared here (or been disappearedededed) and have shown up as someone else.

Just my thoughts................

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Multi, had a great time reading it.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Well Roe, thanks to you I spent an hour reading the sank4ever saga plus related stuff. Then to top it all off, JK put the fork in it. Now I'm sitting here wondering whatever came of all that.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

I was never teased for my name. My mom once used her pet nickname for me in front of a bunch of friends and I have yet to live it down. You will never know that name.

---"boomer?"

---"little princess?"

pigtails?

riiiiiiiiiiiiight! hey in private to you bub it's: "whipney and that's in leather with bronze studded boots, and if you don't call her "whipney" you'll regret it!

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

This digital age calls for a digital handle...

( Pi, for short )

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

What was the good witch's name in the Wizard of Oz, Glenda?

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 9 months ago

Maryann, Mariann, Mary Ann, Marion.

Nahhhhh..... She is far too nice.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 9 months ago

Thomasa Greek: twin. Thomasina: Greek A twin. The feminine form of Thomas. Also see Tamsin.

Comments?

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

Okay Whitney, can I nickname you "Hottie"? And you may just call me anytime !

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

It must be Shirley, just so she can say, "and don't call me Shirley."

Or how about Joanathen?

Boosh 3 years, 9 months ago

I vote Natasha.

Moose and Squirrel quote was great!

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

No, wait, Pandora was mortal... Persephone!

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

For this Greek community, I propose... Pandora.

BorderRuffian 3 years, 9 months ago

OK, Whitfield, maybe you can make this easier for all of us. Was there a name that the kids used to call you, that you really, really, hated? (That we would all be sure to avoid and never, (wink) ever, use).

Everyone - how about that - if she reveals the name she hates the most, we'll never, ever use it, right?

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

Is this the internet equivalent to pulling Lindwhitney's pig tails?

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

I got kind of stuck on LIndsey. You know, that first impression thing.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Darn, can't think, neighbors partied almost all night. But I'll give it some thought at work since nobody will be there except me. If Whitney could change her name, I wonder what it would be.

rbwaa 3 years, 9 months ago

i don't know, i'm kind of in favor of She Who Must Be Obeyed [SWMBO]

btw Whitney, thanks for being such a good sport...and your sense of humor...

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Whitney? i thought her name was olga . . . i gots a cuzin name of erline she shur is purty. olga that is. erline is purty i guess cept for her buck teeth an her adams apple kinda turns off the guys well most of them. but whitney is nice two. i jest hope she aint annaundercover. or sank4ever.