LJWorld.com weblogs Yes, I did say that!

President Obama - Still Not Saluting?

Candidate Barack Obama failed to salute, or place his hand over his heart, during the National Anthem at a September 2007 political gathering in Iowa.

An ABC News video shows that everyone else felt that placing their right hand over their heart was the correct thing to do.

A photograph that is usually tagged with a November 2009 date, stated to have been taken at a Memorial Observance at Ft. Hood, shows President Obama once again with his hands folded over his crotch while every one else is saluting.

It just seemed that someone would have told President Obama about flag and anthem protocol at some point after he was elected. Perhaps the picture was faked? Photo shopped? No, the picture is real. The President was standing with his hands folded while everyone else was saluting. What was faked was the description of the picture. The picture was actually taken on Memorial Day, May 25, 2009. It was taken just after the President was announced and had joined the others on the platform. Those on the platform were saluting the Commander in Chief as Hail To The Chief was played.

C-Span has the full video of the Veteran's Day Event - November 11, 2009. The President enters at about 11minutes into the video.

It was wrong of Candidate Obama to not salute (hand over heart) the flag. It is just as wrong to perpetuate a hoax in the same vein about President Obama.

Sending a Private Message or email to Did_I_say_that, regarding the content of this blog, provides consent to use the content of the message.

Did_I_say_that can be Emailed here.

Visit Did_I_say_that's Blog Entries.

*All images used under Copyright Law US Code Title 17, Section 107

usmcvet 5 years, 1 month ago

We have a local fireman that I'm sure we could send to Washington to teach BO a thing or to about respecting our flag!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

As soon as he is back in his mob-financed Chicago mansion, he can do whatever he likes.

CreatureComforts 5 years, 1 month ago

That would depend on if they are military (current, veteran, etc.) or civilian, genius...

ivalueamerica 5 years, 1 month ago

One thing I can say for sure, Obama is a more patriotic American than you will ever be.

Scott Drummond 5 years, 1 month ago

This is the same President Obama that is supposedly a Muslim, right?

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

It is all about the symbols of patriotism for some people. I'm sure the most qualified person to be President is the one with the biggest flag lapel pin. Nothing else matters. This is why, in the original video, we see that John Edwards appropriately has his hand on heart and is looking at the flag. This means Edwards should have become President, because he understands the symbolism of patriotism more than others.

Oh, and Obama doesn't put his hand on his heart because he isn't an actual citizen. He was born in Kenya. Don't you people remember your own ranting points?

And he is a Muslim.

gogoplata 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't care that he doesn't salute or put his hand over his heart.

I don't buy into all this superpatriotism crap.

bad_dog 5 years, 1 month ago

"Letterman just earned back a little bit of my respect. "

You should e-mail him the good news. I'm sure Letterman will savor your endorsement. Heck that's so newsworthy Fox News Channel might even pick it up.

Danimal 5 years, 1 month ago

I think that it's important our President salute the flag or put his hand over his heart. This doesn't have anything to do with some pseudo-superpatriotism, it's about respecting our flag, our nation, and those who have given their lives to keep us free over the last 234 years.

This is the man that we elected to be the executive and head of state of our government, if he can't muster a little respect for our national colors why should anyone else be expected to?

Kirk Larson 5 years, 1 month ago

The President of the United States doesn't salute the flag: he's a civilian, not in the military like some third-world, tin pot, generalisimo.

Daniel Speicher 5 years, 1 month ago

Actually, he is our nation's highest ranking military officer, Commander in Chief. Not saying he should or should not have to salute the flag... Kinda think it's a bit antiquated, personally. Furthermore, as a Christian, I find it interesting that the vast majority of my brothers and sisters have no problem pledging an allegiance to anything or anyone but Christ. But, that's another argument for another day, I suppose.

--Danny Speicher

Kirk Larson 5 years, 1 month ago

No, the office of Commander in Chief is civilian, not military. Eisenhower took off the uniform to become President. Bush (W) even made this point to some South American military president he met with. And when the Pledge of Allegiance was originally written, there was no mention of christ nor god. That was inserted later by commie-fearing conservatives in the '50's.

gogoplata 5 years, 1 month ago

I'd rather our elected officials, judges, military, law enforcement, and citizens showed some respect for the constitution.

If you don't give a crap about the constitution you're no patriot. I don't care how many flags you are waving, or if you cry like a baby every time you hear the national anthem.

Freedom of speech, religion, and press even from people you don't like or hate. How often do we hear self proclaimed patriots wanting to take away freedoms from people they disagree with.

It goes something like this. I believe in the freedom of speech, religion, or press, but......

Jim Phillips 5 years, 1 month ago

As as been stated, placing the hand over the heart is a show of respect for the flag and what it stands for. That's all that needs to be said about or illustrious leader, Alfred E. Newman.

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

Okay, it is a sign of respect for what the flag represents (not the flag itself, because it is just a piece of stitched cloth). Does this then mean that not placing a hand over the heart must then be a sign of disrespect? Unless the intent was to show disrespect, I don't think you can make that claim. You will never convince most people that his intention was to disrespect the flag. He was polite, but he didn't follow widely accepted protocol.

Calling Obama names on the other hand ... is that a sign of respect for the office of the President of the United States of America? I don't mean the man, but the office and what it represents.

Which is worst, standing politely during the playing of the anthem, or denegrating the office of the President by calling someone names?

Glass houses anyone?

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

But, but ... Bush!

In Tom's world, two wrongs make a right-winger.

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

Translation: When someone I don't like is called names, it's okay. When someone I like is called names, it's not okay.

Talk about third graders on a playground...yeesh.

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

No, I didn't sum up anything. I spoke specifically about one instance that happened before he was President.

The rest might make a lick of sense in your world, but I really don't see how not putting a hand over a heart has anything to do with politicians thinking they know science well enough to argue with scientists.

You rarely make sense, but you just took it up a notch.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 1 month ago

Actually, it is the same thing. I wonder if you know who Alfred E. Newman is. Newman is the icon for Mad Magazine who has the motto, "What? Me worry?". And there, bea, is the likeness. The President obviously does not worry about the Constitution or his dwindling rock star status. He doesn't worry that the economy is in the tank while he takes vacation after vacation. He doesn't worry that his wife takes forty people to one of the most expensive resorts in the world while there is double-digit unemployment. He doesn't worry that his cronies are abondoning him at every turn or that more and more of the public is turning on him daily, including David Letterman, one of his most staunch supporters. Yeah! WHat? Me worry? about sums up this administration.

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

Please. Of course I know who Alfred E. Newman is.

Who are you to say Obama isn't worried? Is he suppose to go through Glenn Beck type blubberings to demonstrate how worried he is? I believe strongly that had he not taken the actions he had, we would be in far worse shape right now. Many economists agree.

What you failed to realize is that in a post about showing respect for national symbols, you belittle the President of the United States of America by calling him a name. Try showing a tad bit of respect for the office of the President, at the least.

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

It is the office, not the individual. Doesn't matter who is in the office, it is respect for the position. After the ugliness we saw under Bush, can you imagine if Republicans had taken the higher road and actually acted like the patriots they pretend to be by showing respect for the office of the President? But they didn't, and many point to Bush as their excuse for their lack of civility. Someday when a Republican becomes president again, people on the left will likewise use the name calling levied against Obama to excuse their actions, as they have already done with Clinton. It is a never ending cycle.

Or, you can argue with the policies (if you know what it is exactly you are opposed to) but not act like a seven year old by calling the president names. I wonder which would be better for our country in the long run?

hartk678 5 years, 1 month ago

Are we still talking about the original picture? Some seem to be commenting on the second picture.

As the blogger pointed out, in the second picture, there is no reason for him to have his hand on his heart.

The flag was not being presented. The anthem was not being played. The pledge wasn't being said. "Hail to the Chief was being played and HE was being presented. The president does not put his hand over his heart for himself.

I'm not sure why the other dignitary on the stand has his hand on his heart. The proper protocol for the the president's entrance is simply to stand if you're a civilian and salute if you are military and wearing your uniform.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 5 years, 1 month ago

The National Anthem doesn't care if I salute or put my hand on my heart and I'm not inclined to do it so for my neighbors. You know why? Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLizz... Me and Obama are similar in being rebels...and we have our heart in the right place...NOT on the left side of our CHEST!~) http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2007/harkin_steak_fry/harkin_steak_fry_08.jpg Sorry, but it's JOKEY FRIDAY! YAY!~)

BorderRuffian 5 years, 1 month ago

The bottom line is this. POTUS (President of the United States) is EMBLEMIC of all the principles, freedoms, and rights of the United States of America. He is supposed to be our primary exemplar of all the things we hold to be good and true of America. To see him refuse to honor the flag during our National Anthem or the Pledge of Allegiance is an insult to all Americans. It is as if he was told by Reid and Pelosi that he (and they) are above all that, that refusing to honor the flag implies that he is the one being honored.

I read somewhere that a real leader SERVES the people, not vice versa.

But then, B.O. never WAS a US citizen, was he?

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

He didn't stand with his hand over his heart once that we know of, although probably more, and he wasn't President then. He did not "refuse" to honor the flag as you say. That is just a fat out LIE! He is standing respectfully, just not following the protocol many see as appropriate. That isn't the same as intentionally "refusing" to honor anything or anyone. Also, the national anthem is not even close to being the same thing as the Pledge of Allegiance, so why go there? Well, actually, we know why.

Your last line proves you are more interested in telling lies than anything else. Sad.

pizzapete 5 years, 1 month ago

MyName 5 years, 1 month ago

Wait, so you're saying this is something we should give two figs about?

I'm sure you can find plenty of cases where he has, and somehow I don't think a person's respect for this country is measured by how well they react to a ceremony that's almost meaningless it gets repeated often enough.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

What does he do when Indonesia's national anthem is played?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't have thought the current regime would acknowledge the existence of a right wing.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 1 month ago

Ooooo, I'm just itching to read the comment of a certain Dem I know. Come on, let's have ur take on this, pleezzee.

Mike Ford 5 years, 1 month ago

firstly, Andrew Breightbart didn't edit this video did he? you know these gotcha types really don't care about facts because their constituency doesn't worry about more than three of more subjects. They've been playing in an alternate universe of gotcha while Mr. Obama has passed about 15 to 20 pieces of legislation. I'll get howls of denial on this subject but don't these genuises elect kansas politicans to do nothing in D.C. except occupy desks, get perks in return for religion on C Street, and support financially suicidal plans like wars and tax cuts. Like any of the history stealing morons meeting tomorrow to disgrace a turning point in this country 47 years ago who know nothing about history, people like Did I say that probably weren't alive when Bedtime for Bonzo wrecked this country with deficits from tax cuts when I was a teenager and considered ketchup a vegtable. If the dumblicans get in office they'll do what they've always done...nothing....

Matt Torres 5 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe people take garbage blog posts like this one seriously.

Sylvie Rueff 5 years, 1 month ago

When I was in school we learned the proper way to show respect for our National Anthem was to stand straight, at attention, facing the flag. It was disrespectful to those in uniform to salute if one is not in uniform. I learned, it is undignified and maudlin, to say nothing of incorrect, to put a hand over one's heart.

yankeevet 5 years, 1 month ago

Looks like he is covering up his package..................................

Larry McGlinn 5 years, 1 month ago

Too bad Obama wasn't taught proper flag and anthem protocol/respect by a Marine drill sergeant. I'm quite sure this discussion would never have come up!