LJWorld.com weblogs Yes, I did say that!

The Clouse-Mandell Summit

Lawrence-Douglas County Firefighter Daniel Clouse has been cited for battery after an argument with Lawrence resident Bob Mandell.

In short, Daniel Clouse was offended that Bob Mandell did not remove his hat during the band's playing of the National Anthem. Clouse told Mandell of the offense and informed him of protocol. Mandell agreed and stated that he had simply forgot. A bystander told Clouse that "now is not the time or place," and Clouse went back to his seat.

The rub comes in the rub. There is a discrepency in the accounts of how Clouse obtained the attention of Mandell. Clouse claims that he touched Mandell on the shoulder. Mandell claims that Clouse applied excessive force to Mandell's neck; thus, the charge of battery.

Now the County will suffer the cost. This has a good chance of going to trial. Clouse will present several witnesses stating that there was no battery; simply a touch to get attention. Mandell will present witnesses buttressing his claim of painful pressure. Regardless of who wins in court; all participants will be losers - and will appear as such.

Daniel Clouse, in this action you come off as a bully. Bob Mandell, you come off as a tattle-tale.

Mr. Mandell and Mr. Clouse, please save the City and County the cost of a frivolous trial. This is a moment for a Beer Summit. Both of you, please, man-up and work this out - outside of the courtroom.

Original Photo: Souza/White House; Editing: Did I Say That

tumblr page counter

Sending a Private Message to Did_I_say_that, regarding the content of this blog, provides consent to use the content of the message.

Did_I_say_that can be Emailed here.

Visit Did_I_say_that's Blog Entries.

*All images used under Copyright Law US Code Title 17, Section 107

Comments

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

DIST, what part of "We are broke" don't you get? We can't just go buying every more-patriotic-than-thou fireman a beer just because he gets into an argument! No more beer unless we first make cuts elsewhere!

I do have a dilemma: Is it okay if I just stand the first time the video plays, or do I have to each time I come back to your blog? I've removed my hat, so can I type with my left hand during the song if my right is still over my heart?

(Good job on the pic!)

Alceste 4 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to know where all these patriots were when I came back from Viet Nam back in 1972....were they amongst the ever so grand that failed to realize I never asked to go to Viet Nam....I got drafted? NOPE....they still spat at and about me.....I remember it well....VERY well...Right here in Lawrence, Kansas and at the ever so esteemed "university". I do NOT want to forget it, either as it compelled me to understand even more better the horror I had just returned from.

Daniel Clouse....is no patriot in my book and Bob Mandell did no wrong to me in that very same book....to the contrary....Clouse needs to sit down, shut up, and perhaps try to understand the perspective those of us who lived through each night to see that piece of cloth (that flag)....and know Charles was sent home yet another night....only to come out and try to get me the next.....

All this patriotic stuff and blather.....what nonsense....and I grow weary at "...being thanked for my service...." whenever it comes up I was sent to that the fine place once known as French Indo China......it's too late for the thanking at this point......why are we sending guys to do the same thing again...only this time in SW Asia instead of SE Asia???? To make HE MEN like Clouse think they're something....wearing a shoulder patch flag sideways "...to demonstrate it's flying in the breeze...."?????? PIFFLE....

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

Did I see hats on heads in that video? I thought I did but not sure.

Mr_B9 4 years, 4 months ago

I love the photo....I was thinking on the same line....Good job.

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I wonder which one of them is going to have to take the most ribbing at school over this.

commuter 4 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Mandal was asking for an apology from the other guy. Is that too much too ask?

There are times when I am at different events and the national anthem is played and I forget to take off my hat. So far, I haven't been battered for doing so.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 4 months ago

Clouse: I'm sorry for grabbing your neck too hard

Mandal: I'm sorry for being a pu**y and calling the police

...and everyone lives happily ever after.

hail2oldku 4 years, 4 months ago

Kind of ironic that Clouse is the one wearing a hat in the picture.

"Did_I_say_that (anonymous) replies… I find it hard to resist those Cactus Cuties. They kind of make you want to take off your hat and stand-up."

perv - :-)

HaRDNoK9 4 years, 4 months ago

...Does anyone remember this? What's good for The Commander in Chief, I guess.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, we remember. Some in the audience had their hats on, too! Why, those Democrats just hate America! And in the video, did you see John Edwards? Not only did he have his hand on his heart, he was actually looking at the flag, not the crowd like all the others. We must conclude then that John Edwards is the most patriotic of the bunch and it is he who should be our President now!

Or not.

HaRDNoK9 4 years, 4 months ago

Lol. I think the President deserves a good, firm neck rub!

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Maybe Obama wrote notes on his hand like Palin does, and he didn't want to soil his shirt? This was, after all, before they invented the teleprompter contacts that we all know he wears now.

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

Man, all the rogue blogs have been disappeareded. Waiting for the midnight hour, that is if I can stay awake that long. We'll see what the witching hour brings.

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

But probably not for long, Whitney is fast on their tails.

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

So I'll tell you about my encounter with a patriotic zealot. More to follow.

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

My sons and I were cleaning out the basement which had all sorts of stuff, some not ours. So they find a British flag and for some reason hung it out on the porch. A man living across the street in a run down rental start screaming and yelling, complete with plenty of cuss words, that that flag had better come down. He said he was a veteran and there was no way he was going to allow that flag to stay up. Now since he was not being at all nice about it, we decided to ignore him, after all I couldn't think of any beef the USA has had with England since the Revolutionary war. So this guy calls the Housing Authority and demands they make us take it down. Maybe they have some say over what he is allowed to do, but none over what I can do. He continues his tirade and threats which evidently concerned somebody and so the police show up. They talk to him then come over to talk to us. They said we were breaking no laws but would we take it down to calm him down. We told them how he had behaved and if he wanted to come over and apologize and ask nicely, then maybe. He refused, we refused, and the flag stayed up for a month till we decided to take it down. Now flags from other countries are displayed in schools all over town, but then I don't think he saw the inside of a school past 6th grade.

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

Well, that was fun (Marion letting the JW know he caught on). We got to see a new picture of Marion.

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

Wait Until………………………. ....the Inidans and the Russians wake up!

And "Hey!", LJW Award Winning Journalists! Don't bother trying to ban by IP! I've got a couple of nice little apps that let my proxies run circles around you!

Ya just gotta love it though, don'tcha?

You know Marion, they could probably just shut down new blogs and then what fun would that be?