LJWorld.com weblogs Yes, I did say that!

Obama's Nation - How You Doin'?

Political discourse is filled with hypotheses, hyperbole, and hyper activity. The Radical Right Wingers, the Loony Left, and the Mediocre Moderates can't seem to agree on anything. President Barack Obama has been described as the Messiah, the Anti-Christ, and most everything in between. Citations proving a person's opinion can range from fact to fiction, from historical to hysterical.

This blog does not seek to do any of that. Rather, it is in the hunt for anecdotal evidence of the effects of the Obama administration and policies. In addition, for the purpose of this forum, any legislation, regulations, appointments, etc. that have occurred since the inauguration of President Obama is acceptable.

How has the election of President Obama, the 111th Congress, and the Senate affected you and yours? Specifically, what policy, activity, action, inaction, decision, decree, law, or regulation has had, or will have, an effect on you, your family, your relatives, or your friends. For the purpose of this discussion, let's limit claims to those with which you are personally connected.

I'll start.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also commonly know as ObamaCare, will have a negative effect on my income and ability to purchase medications. The act will eliminate over the counter drugs as a qualified expense of the Health Spending Account.

On the positive side, I know several gun dealers that tell me gun and ammunition sales have been way up. They attribute this to the public perception of the Administration's view on gun laws.

My income is down. A few months after Obama assumed office, one of the contracts that my part-time employer had was canceled; the business was cutting costs in anticipation of increased taxes and reduced profits.

The effect of economic policy has made a significant negative impact on my primary job. The stock market drop resulted in a 40% loss of equity in my employer's endowment fund. That, coupled with reduced income, resulted in a $5 million loss of income for 2010. The loss of income resulted in layoffs of 25% of our workforce.

It is your turn: How have you (or someone you have direct knowledge of) been affected? What is the net effect of the change of administration and congress on you?

godaddy web stats

Sending a Private Message to Did_I_say_that, regarding the content of this blog, provides consent to use the content of the message.

Did_I_say_that can be Emailed here.

Visit Did_I_say_that's Blog Entries.

*All images used under Copyright Law US Code Title 17, Section 107

Comments

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 8 months ago

There is some refreshing insight from David Stockman, former budget director for the Reagan Adminstration in the news today.

Apparently, he is blaming BOTH political parties for the mess we are in but mostly the Republican mythology about tax cuts and overspending on the military. He says the Republicans should file bankruptcy for the dumb moves they have made.

I think any common sense American that is not brainwashed poltically already knows this but now we have someone that has been there and done that and he is saying the same thing.

Here is a link but there are plenty of news outlets telling the story.

The Blackberrys and Droids to the Republican propaganda chiefs are probably vibrating in pockets around the world today.

Healthcare_Moocher 3 years, 8 months ago

I cashed out my 401K's when the market started to drop. It was cheaper for me to pay the penalty than it was to take it in the shorts. Invested in gold coins for the short run, caught the upswing, and then converted to property when it looked like the property values had bottomed out. Yes, I am much better off now and continue to climb. I will be fine if property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes and the such dont eat me up.

Has nothing to do with Bush or Obama, has everything to do with keeping my eyes open and taking advantage of trends.

Mike Ford 3 years, 8 months ago

I've seen an underlying theme from the dumblicans, tealicans, godlicans, and gunlicans. The dumblicans have no new ideas so the tealicans have acted like a virus and taken over the picking of canddates for the dumblicans. The godlicans cling to their god and act like the world is ending and blame it on the successor to their annoited family the bushes and silently repeat all of their racist interpretations of bible verses like my ex-grandfather used to state to themselves and feign victomhood over gay mairrage and abortion in the health care bill ( listening to the crazies on 92.3 FM on the weekends gives one a lot of insight on crazies with these subjects) while the gunlicans wave the flag buy all the guns and ammo and act if Mr. Obama is seriously going to take their guns all the while the assault weapons ban has passed and every gun in Cabela's circulars looks like it's made for paramilitary use and Jayhawk Pawn looks like assault weapon central on the back wall. Just because you lost the 2008 elections doesn't mean you have to act like a bunch of crazies but you have. so much for substance. All of this whining about the stimulus and the bailouts is the perfect example. Do you honestly think that all of Bush's messes were instantly going to go away? are you part of the instant gratification generation? The stocks have stayed between 9200 and 11000 for some time now. Four months before Bush left office the stocks went into a freefall from market collapse of car companies, banks, mortgage companies excedera. There has to be a building point before there is sustained growth. All of this finger pointing at Obama is like watching a patient with both legs broken trying to walk in therapy for the first time and a bunch of idiots claiming failure when this patient known as the U.S. Economy doesn't go into a full sprint immediately. I love how all four groups of these people had total amnesia as their president was like Julius Caesar playing away in the tower as the city burned and when the next person came to fix things they blamed all of the destruction on the successor. Next time don't trust or vote for a Bush and we won't be in a mess that the following president has to clean up with a bunch of impatient haters with amnesia ranting illogically at make believe fears.

bobberboy 3 years, 8 months ago

if you're stupid, if you over spent on housing or trucks cars etc. Or buy too many things you can't afford etc. etc. etc. - then it's always the governments fault right ?

bobberboy 3 years, 8 months ago

stop blaming all your problems on Obama or anyone else in the govt. Your real problem is that you're too frigen stupid to even make any sense !

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

In other news: "“Thirty thousand people turned out in East Point on Wednesday seeking applications for government-subsidized housing, and their confusion and frustration, combined with the summer heat, led to a chaotic mob scene that left 62 people injured. At the Tri-Cities Plaza Shopping Center, emergency vehicles passed each other, transporting 20 people to hospitals. Medical and police command posts were set up on scene. East Point police wore riot gear. Officers from four other agencies supported them. Yet no arrests were made. All of this resulted from people attempting to obtain Section 8 housing applications and, against long odds, later securing vouchers for affordable residences. Some waited in line for two days for the applications…” http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/housing-crisis-reaches-full-589653.html Too bad these people couldn't get sweet, high-paying gigs like the Democrats that were running Bell, CA.

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

DIST, at different points you discuss the market and the effects on business in 2009-2010. Yes, many businesses have seen declines and faced difficulties in the time Obama has been in office, but it is largely if not entirely related to the previous fall in the economy that happened prior to his presidency.

The way you are describing the economy is like someone who falls off a ladder, but only blames the ground for his broken arm. You wouldn't have the end result without the initial action. You are ignoring the initial action.

jimmyjms 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow. This is kinda stupid. Firstly, you're blaming the current administration (which deserves all kinds of blame for all kinds of things) for a number of very complex issues that - guess what - were years in the making. This POTUS has been in office just under two years, and he's done a number of really good things, a number of questionable things, and had some failures. But to be specific:

Your reference to "ObamaCare:" How? Where are your sources? Or do you have a magic 8ball that you're not telling us about?

Please name a single instance of this admin restricting gun rights.

So your PT employer cut a contract because of "the anticipation of increased taxes." Being that this admin hasn't increased taxes, and in fact taxes are at they're lowest since 1996 (lower than anytime when Reagan was in office), how is this Obama's fault? Isn't it..ahem..your employers fault? And is it really anyones "fault?" Isn't the freedom/responsibility to react to real and perceived changes in the economy kinda part and parcel of a free-market system?

And finally (and most ridiculously) - you're not going to blame the drop in the stock market on the president, are you? Because that's a fool's errand, and in this specific instance, just wrong. Unless you're absolutely blinded by partisanship, we would all have to believe that the policies of a GOP government from 2000-2006, and a Republican admin from 2006-2008 absolutely destroyed the economy of this country. The jury is still out on how Obama and the Dems will do in the long run, but a majority of economists say that the ARRA prevented a second great depression and in fact wasn't large enough.

But don't let reality get in the way of a good rant.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

“It’s been a long, frustrating summer for employment-starved teens. And most unemployed adolescents will struggle to find work at least until the holiday season, the latest data suggests. The employment picture has been bleak across the board, but it’s been particularly tough on teens. The U.S. unemployment rate was 9.5 percent last month, but for teens it hit 26.1 percent — and July is typically the peak of the summer employment season for teens. It marked the worst summer hiring season for teens since 1949, according to an analysis by Challenger, Gray & Christmas, an outplacement firm…” http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38666248/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

ivalueamerica 3 years, 8 months ago

Plain, simple and very clear.

I am doing MUCH better than I was the 8 years before he was elected.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 8 months ago

"The act will eliminate over the counter drugs as a qualified expense of the Health Spending Account."

I thought this was only affecting Flexible Spending Accounts (Cafeteria Plans). Is it both?

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

This Admin? zip Last Admin? zip Admin before that? zip I'm a lucky guy, got lots of luck, hope my luck holds. Was lucky (not smart) and took profit out of 401k before .com bubble burst. Took profit again (lucky, not smart) before market tanked this century. The profit paid for Univ. for two of my kids, paid of debt, paid down pmt for mortgage for handsome % on retirement home in country w/11acres. Cheap but it's what I want. If my luck holds will work 4-10 more years to pad savings and help the kids.

When I retire, won't have to eat Old Pal dogfood, Alpo is the worst case scenario pour moi.

Gov't is the problem, not the solution.

The problems the gov't is creating is a massive debt. The two party's are equally responsible for creating the deficit. A bunch of spendthrifts. If projections run true, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are funded by tax revenue through '40-'50. Everything else funded on credit by the Chinese et al if they keep buying our bonds.

We don’t have to worry about anything. No nation in the history of the world was ever sitting as pretty. If we want anything, all we have to do is go and buy it on credit. (Will Rogers 9/32 Cherokee)

Olympics 3 years, 8 months ago

I love me some demography statistics...

"According to a survey released by media analyst Steve Sternberg, Fox News' average viewer last season was aged 65, the oldest audience among fully distributed cable networks."

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 8 months ago

I did alright last year, but a lot of my friends did not. Many of them are right wingers and they are blaming Obama because that is what good right wingers do. They cannot accept the fact that it was not Obama that got us into this.

I am doing fairly well this year, but not because of economic policies by the President because as a student of economics, I have been taught that Presidential decisions have very little to do with real economic change. Real economic change occurs over a much longer period than a 4 year term.

So it is ludicrous to blame a President for your problems in the economy when he has been in office only 1.5 years. Yet that is what the Republicans are successfully doing with people clueless enough to believe it.

The surplus is gone. The housing boom busted. Wall Street crashed. We bailed out the banks to save our butts from worse.

The Republican Party had nothing until they launched their hate campaign against health care reform. The Republicans hate a lot of things. They hate social security. They hate FDR. They hate anything that does not agree with their strict conservative view which isn't even conservative. Conservative is just a word they use to make themselves feel good. They don't even know what it means.

Just ask Bush. He spent a trillion dollar surplus left over by Clinton, another guy they love to bash whenever they can. The Republicans have short term memory problem because they don't have to think much about anything. They just have to believe in their way or the highway.

notaubermime 3 years, 8 months ago

I entered the work force in 2008 from graduate school and first started to receive full benefits in late 2008. Needless to say, I lost practically every penny placed in my retirement that year and many people at my work lost immense sums out of their retirement accounts. My retirement investments made money in 2009 and have been pretty steady (gain a little, lose a little) in 2010, so that part has done better since Obama has been in office.

After a pay freeze in 2008, I received a raise in 2009. Due to the first-time home-buyer's credit and other housing incentives, I was able to afford my house. Over the past year, my property values have increased. I bank with Bank of America because it has locations all over the country for when I travel. The bail-out prevented rate hikes and/or the entire bank from failing. Nor did it cost the taxpayers anything as BOA paid the entire sum back plus interest. Lending money to BOA may not have been popular, but you would have a hard time convincing me that it was the wrong thing to do. I have often found that as an adult, there are times when you have to do things which you may find repugnant, but are nonetheless necessary. I also paid off my credit card debt, so things are going much better financially.

The healthcare initiatives have not yet taken effect, so it will be difficult to see what effect they have. My wife works at a hospital, so she sees first hand how much of a problem uninsured patients are causing to the healthcare system. The system just can't last much longer in the form it has been in as it bankrupts hospitals. My wife thinks that the healthcare measures will help, but not solve the problem. We'll see soon enough how good of a solution the healthcare reform was...

Mike Ford 3 years, 8 months ago

actually grudgeholder, I didn't pay taxes on her estate per se. I paid taxes on what was left of her pension after the dumblican investors with the State of Kansas ran her KPERS pension into the ground due to the dumblicans on Wall Street running the investments into the ground. I live within my means and I have lived on a specific budget for 18 years that has served well except when dumblicans have been in office and clobbered the economy with their useless tax cuts and unfunded mandates, which my late mother loved as a teacher.

Mike Ford 3 years, 8 months ago

gee does a democrat who is no longer willing to put up with the obvious garbage that the GOP brings to the table scare you? I've put up with patriots, evangelicals, wafflers and the whole tent in my forty years of living around this country as a child of clergy. I didn't like Gerald Ford as a six year old, I didn't like Reagan between the ages of ten and eighteen, I had a hard time finding a job during father Bush, and I lost my hours at work and my savings account under son Bsuh. I didn't even mention having Nixon and Watergate interrupting my cartoons at four years of age. Hate? really? I've had hateful things said against me on here in the last three weeks. My anger lies in the fact that people have amnesia and run on the amnesia platform politically and as long as they do so I will call them out for who they are and what they stand for.

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

The only thing I don't like is the pure HATRED people have towards one another. Maybe it has always been this bad and I'm just now getting into politics enough to realize it. However, I know I've lost friendships because people can't fathom being friendly to a non-Republican, etc etc. I'm sure it happens the other way around to. Everyone is just so angry and opinionated. People just automatically hate each other based on nothing more than a political pole. It really sucks.

As for the economy, I don't think anything has affected me too much. I'm young though, I don't have too many assets and therefore Im probably not going to see it as much yet. I feel like people are starting to blame the administration if they've been going through rough, or at least tight times lately, but I feel like I don't know if it would have mattered. We would probably still be in a recession no matter who was in office.

Mike Ford 3 years, 8 months ago

last summer, the extra stimulus money on my pay check made surviving the summer months possible. the tax credit allowed me to stabilize my finances in a year where my mother died in a car accident and I had to deal with taxes from her estate and I dealt with taxes from working two jobs to pay for healthcare and debt under Dumya in 2007 and 2008. I still don't trust the stock market and haven't had my 401lk invested since 2005 in the market. My father got the home buyer tax credit as retiring clergy and purchased the first home he's owned in his 65 years of life after a liver transplant. My spouse also benefitted from the tax credit and the stimulus money. If it wasn't for all of the loud pointless protestations from the dumblicans and tealicans and the absolute refusal of the dumblicans in the congress and senate to cooperate in fixing the mess their president created there wouldn't be a problem here, we would be united in trying to solve the mess that Dumya got us into, however the reality is we have tealicans blindly mad at the wrong party being pimped by the dumblicans to run campiagns of anger and little else. The air may blow up the balloon, but at the end of the day the wind will be left out and you all will be left with a deflated balloon on the ground.

tange 3 years, 8 months ago

DIST: "Tripe, tange? Tripe: something poor, worthless, or offensive. It is sad that you would think the real effects of government action is tripe.

oh. 'sad.' you forgot the frowny. ,:-(

tripe noun 2 informal - nonsense; rubbish : 'you do talk tripe sometimes.'

Unlike the tripe to which many of us frequenting these forums sometimes are given, this particular brand of tripe purports to actually be "about something," which certainly it cannot.

WIthout wasting too much time on the matter, there are problems, here, with circumstance, (coincidence,) and attribution, at the very least.

And, there is the problem of the N, which, in these forums is always less than the commenter count for any topic.

My (perceived) immediate experience is irrelevant to the sweeping effects of broad legislation (and regulation, or lack thereof) over time. Like many who have posted above, I have fared well this first decade of the 21st century. Far from validating or negating the experiences of others, my experience doesn't even speak to the experiences of many who've suffered significant losses during the same timeframe.

TrooGrit 3 years, 8 months ago

As much as I personally am no fan of BHO, I can't say he and his policies have made a lot of difference to me, and my finances....yet!

I know that next year will be different, however. The Bush tax cuts are coming off, the lowered graduation of income tax rates is coming off, the marriage penalty tax reverts to the first dollar earned, capital gains tax goes from 15 to 20% in 2011, and several other tax hikes. You can read the full detail here: http://www.atr.org/six-months-untilbr-largest-tax-hikes-a5171#%23ixzz0sY8waPq1

As others have noted, most of these effects would be more from Congress from the President, but this particular President has set the tone for legislation, and seems to support higher taxes and spending.

So while all of this has not helped nor hurt me yet, I know it will...BIG TIME...next year!

Blessed4x 3 years, 8 months ago

Two years without raises. In fact, after about 20% of our workforce was laid off, we endured a 10% pay cut across the board. The money we usually count on from our tax return will probably end up being money owed in 2010 with the loss of Pres Bush's increased child tax credit that the Dems have not renewed. Right now the only positive thing I can say about the Obama presidency is that it has taught us to watch our pennies VERY closely. We've had to cut out youth sports for the kids and we spend a lot of time at home instead of going out. No vacations, no eating out, little to no money spent outside of bills. Oh to return to 2006-7 when we were getting bonuses, company paid trips, fat raises, the works. Life was good, life was fun. Now it just seems like we're spending all our efforts merely to stay in the black with the bank. Oh well, this too shall pass.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 8 months ago

This President has been in office barely more than 1.5 years.

Not in my lifetime has any President been so attacked, even before he took the oath of office.

The people that the Republicans were so proud of to run for the highest office were John McCain and Sarah Palin.

America deserves better. My recommendation is to not join any political party and vote in some new people as soon as you get the opportunity. The current class has no class.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 8 months ago

It is hard to guage what the net effect of Obama and the new administration has had on me because I am still struggling under the net effect of the Bush administration.

I would say that definitely I have much less respect for politics and politicians during this administration but that is not because of Obama. It started building somewhere during the beginning of the second Bush term. I think that is when I started to realize we had a bunch of idiots running the country.

pizzapete 3 years, 8 months ago

My life is the same as always, the president doesn't have too much influence on my life. Although I'm not looking forward to the tax increases.

whatthehell 3 years, 8 months ago

I supply materials in the construction field, residential and commercial. The Housing crash brought on by previous administrations (dem and rep) has been devastating. New construction is up from last year in the residential market, but not markedly so. Commercial development is pretty dismal also, but at the very least, some of the stimulus programs have definitely worked. I hate to hear the stories about waste and pork projects and so forth because I am CERTAIN that many construction jobs locally and nationally have been saved. Concrete guys are working replacing streets and sidewalks. Remodel companies are doing well with window and door replacements that are energy efficient. There are MANY instances where policies have worked, and also where they haven't worked but my issue is mostly with the "bashers", like you, who misquote stats or can't be bothered with the whole story. Our company isn't exactly thriving in this environment but no one is losing their jobs either.

DIST.... how come no comments to the folks refuting your comments about the stock market? Did I miss something... isn't the stock market up quite a bit from when Bush left office?

Is there a single, remotely similar situation where the country was on the brink of collapse and bounced back quicker than we are now? Really? Why don't you try this blog again at the 4 year mark....

Ronda Miller 3 years, 8 months ago

Nice dream, but employ in which jobs. Where is growth coming from? What products are we making that anyone can afford?

Personally, I'm treading water. Earnings are down considerably lower than a couple of years ago, no expectation that that will change. In the process of downsizing and renting property which puts me in a more fortunate place than many.

I'm not one to know how much our continued presence in foreign countries is hurting us economically, but I know far too many young people are killing themselves as they're being forced to serve - that and the injured will continue to add economic drain and a very negative attitude about this continuation if the past administration

OzD 3 years, 8 months ago

During the 90-91 recession a close relative wanted to move from CA to GA to pursue new economic opportunities. As a cancer survivor though, they had to stay put in CA where they could continue their current health insurance policy, as they thought they'd otherwise be uninsurable elsewhere with a different insurance company.

Last year, a relative in his late 20's found himself with a "new" pre-existing condition. He was wanting to leave his employer and strike out on his own, but really had to struggle with how he'd be able to insure himself and his family.

So, I'm hopeful that the passed health care reform will help in some areas with our national economic competitiveness, as workers will be freer to move around the country, making for a more flexible workforce, and the entrepreneurs amongst us will be freer to pursue opportunities they wish to seize, hopefully employing a bunch of their fellow citizens in the process.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

In other news, the current regime is bringing Falkor, the luckdragon, out of retirement to co-star in The Neverending Story, Bailout Edition.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

I've been kinda of wondering....when all the gloom and doom predicted by some in regard to the Pelosi/Ried/Obama faction....socialism, taking over America, economies crashing, dog barking....when all that doesn't happen. Is that sort of analogous to HWMNBN predicting we would all die of the flu or be killed in the subsequent decline of civilization?

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

My personal income is up 26.5 percent due to a recent promotion and raise. My retirment portfolio is also back on track after a couple of really bad years.

DIST, I do find it interesting that you would put in your blog about Obama the drop in the stock market. How in any way is this on Obama, since the big drop happened under Bush?

When Bush took office, the DOW was at 10,578. At one point in 2007 it reached 14,164, but when he left office, it had dropped to 8,281. That is a drop during his time in office of roughly 22%.

Yes, it continued to fall immediately after Obama took office, but it closed yesterday at 10,644, although it is losing some today, as daily fluctuations are inevitable. However, the market value is considerably higher now than when Obama took office. This is roughly 28% higher under Obama.

Why aren't you giving him credit for this?

Finally, John McCain sure hasn't done much to stop the economic downturn in his own state, and Palin quit on her's. I'm not sure getting all mavericky would have done much to help us out of the economic troubles we have been facing.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

I got the extra $25/week when I had to furlough from my job. I got a tax reduction. My 401K has done much better. I still have no raise in two years. My health insurance premium did not increase on renewal this year. I have a president that knows that "pick and roll" does not refer to ones olfactory senses. Overall not bad considering the state of affairs. I still ain't got it figured how we all went socialist though......federal govbernment isn't telling me nothing new I gots to do or not do. The still is still working.

Iam Tired 3 years, 8 months ago

18 comments. Two of which are positive personal stories. And, one of them is from Tom!

My employer has moved half of the expense of medical insurance to employees and no longer covers dependents. That is a reduction in my pay of over $350 per month. No pay raise this year. This recovering economy really sucks.

jstthefacts 3 years, 8 months ago

tange says "Why engage in this tripe, DIST?"

couldn't agree more

BigPrune 3 years, 8 months ago

We are on the brink of another Great Depression. The actual unemployment numbers are being mislead to the American people. It is far higher. The press doesn't question the numbers. Actual numbers are in the 20% range. 25% is a depression.

When Obamacare hits, the layoffs will only increase.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 8 months ago

The value of my investments is back on track. Job loss has been halted and several sectors are seeing upturns in hiring. Though large corporations and the biggest banks are hoarding cash, they are doing extremely well with profits, salaries and bonuses for their executives. Most economic indicators are showing positive trends. Of course it will take substantially more policy improvement to stem the extraction of cash and jobs by multi-nationals who are monetizing the skilled producer communities who have created their productive value. The Obama administration, however, does not seem disposed to attempt any real improvement in the Constitutionally mandated "regulation of commerce." Both parties seem to be absolutely owned by a handful of unimaginably rich people.

Iam Tired 3 years, 8 months ago

Puggy (anonymous) says... "'The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act...will eliminate over the counter drugs as a qualified expense of the Health Spending Account.'

"Where do you see this? Is it written in the same section that establishes the "Death Panels"?"

The U.S, Treasury (anything but anonymous) says... "Effective January 1, 2011 over-the-counter drugs will no longer be reimbursable under the health flexible spending account (FSA), unless the drugs are prescribed by a physician.

Effective January 1, 2013 FSA contributions will be limited to $2,500. Future limits will be tied to increases in the Consumer Price Index (CPI)." http://treasury.tn.gov/flex/index.html

Olympics 3 years, 8 months ago

The only people who have referred to Obama as "the messiah" and "the anti-christ" are right-wing media.

Where did the perception of gun rights being limited come from? Right-wingers/media. No significant policy changes on gun rights has occurred nor has there been any discussion of it....and yet, they were selling ammo off of pallets (not taking the time shelve them) at Walmarts around the country.

The fear is strong in many of you on the right.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 8 months ago

"The effect of economic policy...the stock market drop"

Nice revisionist history, bubs.

Whose economic policies led to the stock market drop? How could this be forgotten already, it only happened in 2008 while Bush was still in office; we established records for single-day drops in points and percent of the stock market. The losses in retirement and pension plans also started occurring while the stock market was crashing at the end of the Bush years, which means it was his economic policies that led us to that point.

"The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act...will eliminate over the counter drugs as a qualified expense of the Health Spending Account."

tange 3 years, 8 months ago

Why engage in this tripe, DIST?

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 8 months ago

For now, Obama and Pelosi and Reid have caused us to be more vigilant with our money, investments etc. This is a good thing obviously. Next year and the years following, is when we'll see the hammer drop. In effect, we are practicing today for tomorrow. We are going over every single dime that comes in or goes out with our Edward Jones portfolio manager. Wait until the nebulous Alternative Minimum Tax sucks in another 20-25 million. Wait until they get their tax bill. This is when an all out war will be declared on O/P/R. Now there are about 4-5 million under this taxation scheme.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 8 months ago

Isn't his lovely wife resorting to resorts presently? Perhaps she's returned. It'd be grand if they at least spent the big bucks in our own fine country. Not very resourceful to resort to going elsewhere.

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 8 months ago

President Obama, on several occasions, has criticized resorts - specifically business meetings at resorts. That criticism has resulted in a loss of customers for resorts and resort areas. A friend's primary employer provides educational and technical supports to one of the resort industries. He states that the direct result of Obama criticizing Las Vegas and other resort communities has been devastating to the industry. Closures of some resorts, and reduced income for others, has reduced his Company's income. That has resulted in eight days of unpaid furlough for all of their employees; that is the equivalent of a 3% cut in pay. Additionally, he said, there were no pay increases last year, or this year.