LJWorld.com weblogs Yes, I did say that!

Obama's Nation - How You Doin'?

Political discourse is filled with hypotheses, hyperbole, and hyper activity. The Radical Right Wingers, the Loony Left, and the Mediocre Moderates can't seem to agree on anything. President Barack Obama has been described as the Messiah, the Anti-Christ, and most everything in between. Citations proving a person's opinion can range from fact to fiction, from historical to hysterical.

This blog does not seek to do any of that. Rather, it is in the hunt for anecdotal evidence of the effects of the Obama administration and policies. In addition, for the purpose of this forum, any legislation, regulations, appointments, etc. that have occurred since the inauguration of President Obama is acceptable.

How has the election of President Obama, the 111th Congress, and the Senate affected you and yours? Specifically, what policy, activity, action, inaction, decision, decree, law, or regulation has had, or will have, an effect on you, your family, your relatives, or your friends. For the purpose of this discussion, let's limit claims to those with which you are personally connected.

I'll start.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also commonly know as ObamaCare, will have a negative effect on my income and ability to purchase medications. The act will eliminate over the counter drugs as a qualified expense of the Health Spending Account.

On the positive side, I know several gun dealers that tell me gun and ammunition sales have been way up. They attribute this to the public perception of the Administration's view on gun laws.

My income is down. A few months after Obama assumed office, one of the contracts that my part-time employer had was canceled; the business was cutting costs in anticipation of increased taxes and reduced profits.

The effect of economic policy has made a significant negative impact on my primary job. The stock market drop resulted in a 40% loss of equity in my employer's endowment fund. That, coupled with reduced income, resulted in a $5 million loss of income for 2010. The loss of income resulted in layoffs of 25% of our workforce.

It is your turn: How have you (or someone you have direct knowledge of) been affected? What is the net effect of the change of administration and congress on you?

godaddy web stats

Sending a Private Message to Did_I_say_that, regarding the content of this blog, provides consent to use the content of the message.

Did_I_say_that can be Emailed here.

Visit Did_I_say_that's Blog Entries.

*All images used under Copyright Law US Code Title 17, Section 107

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

Isn't his lovely wife resorting to resorts presently? Perhaps she's returned. It'd be grand if they at least spent the big bucks in our own fine country. Not very resourceful to resort to going elsewhere.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm dreaming of a gray resort. Lol. I don't think so.

What is the rough guestimate of money spent, I appreciate it was out of their personal funds, when airfare, accompanying staff, price of resort, meals is all tabulated? More than some of us earn in a lifetime?

I think it was nice for her to get away and have daughter/friend down time, but usually a couple of hours takes care of it. I mean, seriously.

verity 4 years, 4 months ago

You might check out why Mrs. Obama went on the trip to Spain instead of taking cheap potshots at her.

Did you take cheap potshots at the Bush twins for vacationing outside of this country?

Verdad 4 years, 4 months ago

Compare apples to apples. The Bush twins were not the First Lady and the economy was not imploding during their vacation.

The First Lady went to spend some time with friend whose father died in July. Why couldn't the trip be here in the U.S.? Why not Camp David. It is very nice and peaceful there.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

Exactly! Well stated. I have expectations from our first lady. Is that wrong? She's extremely bright; what was she thinking, or not, at the time? She surely realized the possible repercussions. Didn't care? Alarming in and of itself.

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 4 months ago

"The effect of economic policy...the stock market drop"

Nice revisionist history, bubs.

Whose economic policies led to the stock market drop? How could this be forgotten already, it only happened in 2008 while Bush was still in office; we established records for single-day drops in points and percent of the stock market. The losses in retirement and pension plans also started occurring while the stock market was crashing at the end of the Bush years, which means it was his economic policies that led us to that point.

"The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act...will eliminate over the counter drugs as a qualified expense of the Health Spending Account."

Where do you see this? Is it written in the same section that establishes the "Death Panels"?

arizonajh 4 years, 4 months ago

The Dow Jones was at 14,092+ in Oct 2007 by Oct 2008 (before the election) it was at 8,378 I think that's about a 41% drop. It continued to drop to 6600 in March of 2009 just over a month after Obama took office but now 16 months later is around 10,500. Now how this endowment was invested may have been poor but if it was in the market for the long term it should be fine now as the market is 2200 points over what it was at the time of the endowment.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years, 4 months ago

Did_I_say_that (anonymous) replies…

"Rewrite what you want, but the markets reacted very negatively to the election results."

Actually, don't you think the markets reacted to a collapse of the housing bubble and leveraging of imagined value? I sure do. Election results can affect the markets, but in the case of the 2008 elections, any effect was minor compared to failures of GS, AIG, Morgan Stanley, etc. I doubt you would find a single respected economist to agree with your assertion regarding the primary driver of the recession.

also...

"My income is down...the business was cutting costs in anticipation of increased taxes and reduced profits."

Anticipation of taxes? I'm not going to try to read their mind here, but I wouldn't think a business professional would be particularly wise to predict that taxes would increase significantly - to the point of dashing major initiatives - given that a recession was underway. If they know anything about economics, that wouldn't be an outcome they would expect in those circumstances. The "reduced profits" part of your assertion is much more likely the primary driver in the cost cutting.

Verdad 4 years, 4 months ago

The policies that led to the housing bubble collapse were championed by Barney Frank. Financial institutions were ordered to approve more low-income mortgages.

Olympics 4 years, 4 months ago

Where did the perception of gun rights being limited come from? Right-wingers/media. No significant policy changes on gun rights has occurred nor has there been any discussion of it....and yet, they were selling ammo off of pallets (not taking the time shelve them) at Walmarts around the country.

The fear is strong in many of you on the right.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually, it was a play by some of the Obama campaign staff that started it. It is described in the book Game Change.

whynaut 4 years, 4 months ago

Good article. Especially the part where it goes on to point out the asininity of the idea, and how G. W. Bush is a far more likely candidate for the Antichrist, given the biblical description thereof, and G. W.'s proclomations, among them: "The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. This confrontation is willed by God who wants this conflict to erase his people's enemies before a new age begins"

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

John McCain had a video on the homepage of his website calling Obama the Messiah. If anyone came anywhere close to doing such a thing on the left, I sure haven't seen it. It was -- and it remains -- primarily a tactic of the right to demean Obama. He truly was not anointed, he was elected. To say anything other than he was elected is a direct insult to Americans who cast their votes for him. People who elected him knew that there wasn't going to be able to miraculously fix the broken economy. Claiming he was anointed, as Tom does daily, completely discounts the voters and who they chose to elect. It is bashing American elections, and is the tactic of present day sore losers.

Honestly, if someone can't make an argument in opposition to the President and the actions of his administration without resorting to name-calling, why should anyone take those views and opinions seriously?

whynaut 4 years, 4 months ago

Calling Obama the Messiah is ridiculous. Repeating citations of such ridiculousness over and over again in an attempt to convince the public that the very loud voices of a few outspoken people represent the milder voices of the moderate majority is ridiculouser.

whynaut 4 years, 4 months ago

Right. Chris Matthews is outspoken, and at times, ridiculous. Your as sumption that I consent to his opinions, much less care at all what he has to say, is ridiculouser.

You and Chris Matthews can call Obama whatever you like Tom. But unlike Matthews, you, as always, will never be taken seriously. If only Matthews were so ignorable.

whynaut 4 years, 4 months ago

Unfortunately, the current administration has done very little in the area of gun control as pointed out by The Brady Campaign, a leading gun control group... http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/reports/fedleg/obama-1styear-report.pdf

Meanwhile, the ban on firearms in 372 out of the 392 national parks has been lifted by a law passed by a democratically controlled congress, and signed by Obama. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35484383/

AND... the same law lifts the ban of firearms on Amtrak trains that was instated in the wake of the 2004 Madrid bombings.

So yeah, where DID the perception of gun rights being limited come from?

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Fear. That is where the perception came from. Fear trumped up by the NRA, of course, because those lobbyists get more money that way, and it was espoused on the official Republican news channel, FoxNews. Democrats are in no way going to take on guns now or anytime in the foreseeable future. Liberals have lost that battle and Democrats are wise enough to realize this. Time to move on.

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

"The only people who have referred to Obama as "the messiah" and "the anti-christ" are right-wing media."

Never a good thing to start a post off with a line that's absolutely false.

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

Pardon, on re-read "anti-christ" probably doesn't fit the falsehood. "Messiah", however, and many variations thereof, was born from supporters, not detractors, when the President was running for the office.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

One or two dumb statements from people on the left doesn't equal the campaign run by John McCain and the right. There is no excusing McCain having a film ridiculing "the messiah" on his homepage when he should have been running on the issues. No, it is the right who has been ridiculing Obama by calling him the Messiah. Why do you think Tom still calls him the "Anointed One" every single day?

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

It was a heck of a lot more than "one or two", bea, but I'm not debating whether people on the right like Limbaugh, for example, didn't pick up and run with it AND use it derogatorily. The fact remains that the "Messiah" anointing WAS borne from the left and President Obama's supporters, not from the right, and that's all I was addressing with Olympics.

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the info and the source, iamtired.

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 4 months ago

That kinda stinks, although it does not have a HUGE affect one one's income as you were presumably going to purchase to the over-the-counter meds anyway.

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

Think again, Puggy. I have some friends with a special needs child who are scared to death of the FSA limits. The new healthcare legislation is a catastrophe waiting to happen, and just for starters EVERY policy got more expensive as soon as that monstrosity was signed, unless of course you don't mind having your benefits seriously curtailed.

whynaut 4 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps it's an attempt to discourage the use of FSAs. Why? Here's an article that I found both humorous and thought provoking that might shed some light as to why the government, in attempt to provide affordable health care to all, including the very poor, might not want to put a whole lot of money into FSAs

kansanbygrace 4 years, 4 months ago

The value of my investments is back on track. Job loss has been halted and several sectors are seeing upturns in hiring. Though large corporations and the biggest banks are hoarding cash, they are doing extremely well with profits, salaries and bonuses for their executives. Most economic indicators are showing positive trends. Of course it will take substantially more policy improvement to stem the extraction of cash and jobs by multi-nationals who are monetizing the skilled producer communities who have created their productive value. The Obama administration, however, does not seem disposed to attempt any real improvement in the Constitutionally mandated "regulation of commerce." Both parties seem to be absolutely owned by a handful of unimaginably rich people.

kansanbygrace 4 years, 4 months ago

I feel relief from the stress of 2-5 years ago, and see some promise for continued improvement. My family have no more income, but less expense and better security. We've retired all our debt but about 3 years of mortgage on one small house. I also feel disappointed in how completely the "new majority" has compromised most potential for change, and failed on their promise to change the nature of "business as usual" and "improve transparency." The opposition have said quite uniformly that their purpose is to cause American quality of life to fail, enabling them to regain control of legislature, which gives me even less hope that a change back to their failed policies will somehow have a different result.

kansanbygrace 4 years, 4 months ago

I refer to Eric Cantor, John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, the Senators and Reps. from So. Carolina, etal who've said in all their public statements that they would oppose everything to force "Obama's Waterloo", etc., ad nauseum. I feel confident you've seen those statements, too. See the talking face on any "news" outlet. I am Republican, and always have been, but do not appreciate the lassaiz-faire neo-liberalism that has become the national party's theme. Let me post one note of pessimism. I see no eminent return to the "United" States of America. I've never seen us more divided, including during the '60's and our struggle over Civil Rights, etc.

BigPrune 4 years, 4 months ago

We are on the brink of another Great Depression. The actual unemployment numbers are being mislead to the American people. It is far higher. The press doesn't question the numbers. Actual numbers are in the 20% range. 25% is a depression.

When Obamacare hits, the layoffs will only increase.

grammaddy 4 years, 4 months ago

I can't think of any reason ANYONE would become a Republican, either.

verity 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm with you, grammaddy.

I decided to read this for entertainment---and I got it. The same ol' same ol', trying to bash Obama any way they can and making themselves look desperate and childish.

My personal story---my retirement fund is back on track and I got an unexpected raise.

arizonajh 4 years, 4 months ago

Did Obama change the way the unemployment numbers are calculated? I think they are still arrived at the same as they were in the last administration and the admin before that etc. So the "misleading" is not something that this admin has done (and the point of this blog) it is just the way it has always been done. If we look back under Bush II if the offical unemployment rate was 5% it was probably more like 8-9% because the people who had used up their benefits were not counted then either. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but if O/R/P had not done so much to extend the benifits for the unemployed we would have an even lower "rate" as these people would be kicked off the roles, not collecting and therefore would not be counted as unemployed. The easiest thing for them to do would be allow the people to use up their benefits kick them off the count and claim victory with a declining unemployment rate. So by extending the benefits they are actually increasing the "rate". Seems counter-intuitive for those who say they are just doing what is good for themselves and to get re-elected.

BigPrune 4 years, 4 months ago

If the unemployment numbers were calculated the same way that Bill Clinton and all of the previous administrations calculated them, the unemployment numbers would be in the 20% range. Bush changed the way they were calculated, I think< after the September 11th attacks and economic downturn. The difference regards new business startups and business failures. The numbers are wrong as they are reported these days because there are hardly any new business startups. Certainly there are more businesses failing.

We are being mislead.

kansanbygrace 4 years, 4 months ago

Maybe we are accustomed to instant gratification and push-button "solutions" What other nasty situation of this scale has been reversed in less than two years?
None. Ever.

verity 4 years, 4 months ago

So this is a scientific survey? None of these anecdotes, including mine, mean anything. Absolutely nothing. This is just another not so thinly veiled attempt to bash Obama. Interesting, but very tired attempt. Did I say meaningless?

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Good to know the still is continuing to function. Last case scenario is for everyone to go to autie's to drown our sorrows. I always say, life is too short to drink bad alcohol. Guess I better add ... unless bad alcohol is all you got.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

My personal income is up 26.5 percent due to a recent promotion and raise. My retirment portfolio is also back on track after a couple of really bad years.

DIST, I do find it interesting that you would put in your blog about Obama the drop in the stock market. How in any way is this on Obama, since the big drop happened under Bush?

When Bush took office, the DOW was at 10,578. At one point in 2007 it reached 14,164, but when he left office, it had dropped to 8,281. That is a drop during his time in office of roughly 22%.

Yes, it continued to fall immediately after Obama took office, but it closed yesterday at 10,644, although it is losing some today, as daily fluctuations are inevitable. However, the market value is considerably higher now than when Obama took office. This is roughly 28% higher under Obama.

Why aren't you giving him credit for this?

Finally, John McCain sure hasn't done much to stop the economic downturn in his own state, and Palin quit on her's. I'm not sure getting all mavericky would have done much to help us out of the economic troubles we have been facing.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

I should note, that the drop of 22% under Bush was comparing beginning and end. If we look at the highest peak and where it was when he left office, then it is really a 42% drop. Since that peak was in 2007, the drop actually came pretty quickly. Can you imagine how bad Obama would look if the banks could have held off the bubble from bursting only a few months?

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually, blaming either President isn't fair since it's Congress that writes the legislation and the budget. It's also interesting that 'peak' started to drop as soon as Democrats got back control of the House.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

This is a blog specifically about Obama, and it claims, "The effect of economic policy has made a significant negative impact on my primary job. The stock market drop resulted in a 40% loss of equity in my employer's endowment fund."

This is indicating the stock market drop happened under Obama, when in fact it hadn't. I didn't write that Bush was responsible, I just corrected the error and pointed out when the crash actually happened.

I agree that blaming a President for the economy is in the end nonsense, unless their actions caused the crash. This can be found in Republicans pushing for deregulation and both parties loosening mortgage lending practices. Regarding the Democratic majority in Congress, is it "interesting," or more a coincidence that the economic fall started once the Dems had the majority? I just ask, did they pass laws in a short period that quickly caused the fall, or were they just named the stewards of the ship after it had begun sinking? We know this is the case of Obama coming into office. Nobody can pretend that the economy was wonderful when he took over.

jaywalker 4 years, 4 months ago

"This is indicating the stock market drop happened under Obama, when in fact it hadn't"

I don't know exactly 'the' stock market drop you're referring to, there've been several in the last few years and there's been some substantial drops since Obama took office, 'course that can and does happen just about every time a President - any President -talks on substantial issues. As to the Dems - coincidence? Who can really say for sure, we are talking about the economy and the stock market. But yes, there were some actions (and inactions) that Pelosi, Reid, et al. led the call on and certainly seem to have had a significant effect on the market. Considering the housing industry was doomed to implode no matter what, it was a foregone conclusion that there was going to be trouble. But I do find the whole sequence of events interesting.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

In other news, the current regime is bringing Falkor, the luckdragon, out of retirement to co-star in The Neverending Story, Bailout Edition.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

Yup, those pics were taken just before the annual shearing. Lemur wool futures are trending upwards again.

OzD 4 years, 4 months ago

During the 90-91 recession a close relative wanted to move from CA to GA to pursue new economic opportunities. As a cancer survivor though, they had to stay put in CA where they could continue their current health insurance policy, as they thought they'd otherwise be uninsurable elsewhere with a different insurance company.

Last year, a relative in his late 20's found himself with a "new" pre-existing condition. He was wanting to leave his employer and strike out on his own, but really had to struggle with how he'd be able to insure himself and his family.

So, I'm hopeful that the passed health care reform will help in some areas with our national economic competitiveness, as workers will be freer to move around the country, making for a more flexible workforce, and the entrepreneurs amongst us will be freer to pursue opportunities they wish to seize, hopefully employing a bunch of their fellow citizens in the process.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

Nice dream, but employ in which jobs. Where is growth coming from? What products are we making that anyone can afford?

Personally, I'm treading water. Earnings are down considerably lower than a couple of years ago, no expectation that that will change. In the process of downsizing and renting property which puts me in a more fortunate place than many.

I'm not one to know how much our continued presence in foreign countries is hurting us economically, but I know far too many young people are killing themselves as they're being forced to serve - that and the injured will continue to add economic drain and a very negative attitude about this continuation if the past administration

pizzapete 4 years, 4 months ago

My life is the same as always, the president doesn't have too much influence on my life. Although I'm not looking forward to the tax increases.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

What tax increases? Local or federal?

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 4 months ago

It is hard to guage what the net effect of Obama and the new administration has had on me because I am still struggling under the net effect of the Bush administration.

I would say that definitely I have much less respect for politics and politicians during this administration but that is not because of Obama. It started building somewhere during the beginning of the second Bush term. I think that is when I started to realize we had a bunch of idiots running the country.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 4 months ago

This President has been in office barely more than 1.5 years.

Not in my lifetime has any President been so attacked, even before he took the oath of office.

The people that the Republicans were so proud of to run for the highest office were John McCain and Sarah Palin.

America deserves better. My recommendation is to not join any political party and vote in some new people as soon as you get the opportunity. The current class has no class.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

I would say the attacks against Obama far exceed those against Bush at this stage in their presidencies. Remember, it was the process under which Bush took office that had people upset early on, not just the man himself. That came over time. There was a point after 9/11 when he was at 90% approval. 90%. His later low ratings and the hatred aimed at him (foolishly, I might add, because we shouldn't denegrate the office of the president as people do) was something he earned over time.

One thing for sure, there have been a lot more threats against Obama's life than Bush ever experienced. It is up something like 400% from Bush. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/5967942/Barack-Obama-faces-30-death-threats-a-day-stretching-US-Secret-Service.html

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Of course you would say the attacks on Obama exceed those of his predecessor. You still think the derogatory comments you yourself made about the former president weren't 'attacks'.

And, um, bea? How's the current president's approval running? I suppose he didn't earn those plummeting ratings, right?

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh, that is right, I called Bush a liar because I do believe he lied about WMDs. Oh the horror! And that is as bad as it got from me. If you think that compares at all to the non-stop nonsense happening here every day, then that is on you. You also probably believe calling someone a liar and calling them the anti-christ is the same thing. Further, since the question is regarding the president and his first year and a half in office, I absolutely believe the right has been in overdrive compared to the left in the same period of Bush's presidency. The 400% rise in threats supports this. Furhter, the attacks coming at Obama that started prior to his presidency weren't earned. Feel free to support such attacks however.

Obama's low ratings are partially earned and partially due to the fact that nobody would have been able to fix the economy he was given in such a short period of time, which is upsetting many. Knowing that he didn't start anywhere near 90% also means he won't possibly fall as far as Bush did.

Verdad 4 years, 4 months ago

I believe that the only reason the GW was not being attacked as much at this point in his presidency is because of the boost his popularity received after the 9/11 attacks. A similar boost happened to FDR after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Blessed4x 4 years, 4 months ago

Two years without raises. In fact, after about 20% of our workforce was laid off, we endured a 10% pay cut across the board. The money we usually count on from our tax return will probably end up being money owed in 2010 with the loss of Pres Bush's increased child tax credit that the Dems have not renewed. Right now the only positive thing I can say about the Obama presidency is that it has taught us to watch our pennies VERY closely. We've had to cut out youth sports for the kids and we spend a lot of time at home instead of going out. No vacations, no eating out, little to no money spent outside of bills. Oh to return to 2006-7 when we were getting bonuses, company paid trips, fat raises, the works. Life was good, life was fun. Now it just seems like we're spending all our efforts merely to stay in the black with the bank. Oh well, this too shall pass.

Mike Ford 4 years, 4 months ago

last summer, the extra stimulus money on my pay check made surviving the summer months possible. the tax credit allowed me to stabilize my finances in a year where my mother died in a car accident and I had to deal with taxes from her estate and I dealt with taxes from working two jobs to pay for healthcare and debt under Dumya in 2007 and 2008. I still don't trust the stock market and haven't had my 401lk invested since 2005 in the market. My father got the home buyer tax credit as retiring clergy and purchased the first home he's owned in his 65 years of life after a liver transplant. My spouse also benefitted from the tax credit and the stimulus money. If it wasn't for all of the loud pointless protestations from the dumblicans and tealicans and the absolute refusal of the dumblicans in the congress and senate to cooperate in fixing the mess their president created there wouldn't be a problem here, we would be united in trying to solve the mess that Dumya got us into, however the reality is we have tealicans blindly mad at the wrong party being pimped by the dumblicans to run campiagns of anger and little else. The air may blow up the balloon, but at the end of the day the wind will be left out and you all will be left with a deflated balloon on the ground.

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow, tucshie, Obama was a true Savior in your case, wasn't he.

Of course, it's kinda' hard to take your sob story seriously if that extra $5/week Obama put in your take-home pay bailed you out.

BTW, tusch: What would your mom's estate taxes have looked like if it wasn't for the Bush tax cuts you claim you didn't benefit from?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 4 months ago

says the government sponsored pee-tester.

whats_going_on 4 years, 4 months ago

The only thing I don't like is the pure HATRED people have towards one another. Maybe it has always been this bad and I'm just now getting into politics enough to realize it. However, I know I've lost friendships because people can't fathom being friendly to a non-Republican, etc etc. I'm sure it happens the other way around to. Everyone is just so angry and opinionated. People just automatically hate each other based on nothing more than a political pole. It really sucks.

As for the economy, I don't think anything has affected me too much. I'm young though, I don't have too many assets and therefore Im probably not going to see it as much yet. I feel like people are starting to blame the administration if they've been going through rough, or at least tight times lately, but I feel like I don't know if it would have mattered. We would probably still be in a recession no matter who was in office.

Mike Ford 4 years, 4 months ago

gee does a democrat who is no longer willing to put up with the obvious garbage that the GOP brings to the table scare you? I've put up with patriots, evangelicals, wafflers and the whole tent in my forty years of living around this country as a child of clergy. I didn't like Gerald Ford as a six year old, I didn't like Reagan between the ages of ten and eighteen, I had a hard time finding a job during father Bush, and I lost my hours at work and my savings account under son Bsuh. I didn't even mention having Nixon and Watergate interrupting my cartoons at four years of age. Hate? really? I've had hateful things said against me on here in the last three weeks. My anger lies in the fact that people have amnesia and run on the amnesia platform politically and as long as they do so I will call them out for who they are and what they stand for.

grammaddy 4 years, 4 months ago

Tell 'em tuschkahouma! Very well put!!

Mike Ford 4 years, 4 months ago

actually grudgeholder, I didn't pay taxes on her estate per se. I paid taxes on what was left of her pension after the dumblican investors with the State of Kansas ran her KPERS pension into the ground due to the dumblicans on Wall Street running the investments into the ground. I live within my means and I have lived on a specific budget for 18 years that has served well except when dumblicans have been in office and clobbered the economy with their useless tax cuts and unfunded mandates, which my late mother loved as a teacher.

notaubermime 4 years, 4 months ago

I entered the work force in 2008 from graduate school and first started to receive full benefits in late 2008. Needless to say, I lost practically every penny placed in my retirement that year and many people at my work lost immense sums out of their retirement accounts. My retirement investments made money in 2009 and have been pretty steady (gain a little, lose a little) in 2010, so that part has done better since Obama has been in office.

After a pay freeze in 2008, I received a raise in 2009. Due to the first-time home-buyer's credit and other housing incentives, I was able to afford my house. Over the past year, my property values have increased. I bank with Bank of America because it has locations all over the country for when I travel. The bail-out prevented rate hikes and/or the entire bank from failing. Nor did it cost the taxpayers anything as BOA paid the entire sum back plus interest. Lending money to BOA may not have been popular, but you would have a hard time convincing me that it was the wrong thing to do. I have often found that as an adult, there are times when you have to do things which you may find repugnant, but are nonetheless necessary. I also paid off my credit card debt, so things are going much better financially.

The healthcare initiatives have not yet taken effect, so it will be difficult to see what effect they have. My wife works at a hospital, so she sees first hand how much of a problem uninsured patients are causing to the healthcare system. The system just can't last much longer in the form it has been in as it bankrupts hospitals. My wife thinks that the healthcare measures will help, but not solve the problem. We'll see soon enough how good of a solution the healthcare reform was...

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 4 months ago

I did alright last year, but a lot of my friends did not. Many of them are right wingers and they are blaming Obama because that is what good right wingers do. They cannot accept the fact that it was not Obama that got us into this.

I am doing fairly well this year, but not because of economic policies by the President because as a student of economics, I have been taught that Presidential decisions have very little to do with real economic change. Real economic change occurs over a much longer period than a 4 year term.

So it is ludicrous to blame a President for your problems in the economy when he has been in office only 1.5 years. Yet that is what the Republicans are successfully doing with people clueless enough to believe it.

The surplus is gone. The housing boom busted. Wall Street crashed. We bailed out the banks to save our butts from worse.

The Republican Party had nothing until they launched their hate campaign against health care reform. The Republicans hate a lot of things. They hate social security. They hate FDR. They hate anything that does not agree with their strict conservative view which isn't even conservative. Conservative is just a word they use to make themselves feel good. They don't even know what it means.

Just ask Bush. He spent a trillion dollar surplus left over by Clinton, another guy they love to bash whenever they can. The Republicans have short term memory problem because they don't have to think much about anything. They just have to believe in their way or the highway.

Olympics 4 years, 4 months ago

I love me some demography statistics...

"According to a survey released by media analyst Steve Sternberg, Fox News' average viewer last season was aged 65, the oldest audience among fully distributed cable networks."

independant1 4 years, 4 months ago

This Admin? zip Last Admin? zip Admin before that? zip I'm a lucky guy, got lots of luck, hope my luck holds. Was lucky (not smart) and took profit out of 401k before .com bubble burst. Took profit again (lucky, not smart) before market tanked this century. The profit paid for Univ. for two of my kids, paid of debt, paid down pmt for mortgage for handsome % on retirement home in country w/11acres. Cheap but it's what I want. If my luck holds will work 4-10 more years to pad savings and help the kids.

When I retire, won't have to eat Old Pal dogfood, Alpo is the worst case scenario pour moi.

Gov't is the problem, not the solution.

The problems the gov't is creating is a massive debt. The two party's are equally responsible for creating the deficit. A bunch of spendthrifts. If projections run true, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are funded by tax revenue through '40-'50. Everything else funded on credit by the Chinese et al if they keep buying our bonds.

We don’t have to worry about anything. No nation in the history of the world was ever sitting as pretty. If we want anything, all we have to do is go and buy it on credit. (Will Rogers 9/32 Cherokee)

Stuart Evans 4 years, 4 months ago

"The act will eliminate over the counter drugs as a qualified expense of the Health Spending Account."

I thought this was only affecting Flexible Spending Accounts (Cafeteria Plans). Is it both?

ivalueamerica 4 years, 4 months ago

Plain, simple and very clear.

I am doing MUCH better than I was the 8 years before he was elected.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

“It’s been a long, frustrating summer for employment-starved teens. And most unemployed adolescents will struggle to find work at least until the holiday season, the latest data suggests. The employment picture has been bleak across the board, but it’s been particularly tough on teens. The U.S. unemployment rate was 9.5 percent last month, but for teens it hit 26.1 percent — and July is typically the peak of the summer employment season for teens. It marked the worst summer hiring season for teens since 1949, according to an analysis by Challenger, Gray & Christmas, an outplacement firm…” http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38666248/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

jimmyjms 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow. This is kinda stupid. Firstly, you're blaming the current administration (which deserves all kinds of blame for all kinds of things) for a number of very complex issues that - guess what - were years in the making. This POTUS has been in office just under two years, and he's done a number of really good things, a number of questionable things, and had some failures. But to be specific:

Your reference to "ObamaCare:" How? Where are your sources? Or do you have a magic 8ball that you're not telling us about?

Please name a single instance of this admin restricting gun rights.

So your PT employer cut a contract because of "the anticipation of increased taxes." Being that this admin hasn't increased taxes, and in fact taxes are at they're lowest since 1996 (lower than anytime when Reagan was in office), how is this Obama's fault? Isn't it..ahem..your employers fault? And is it really anyones "fault?" Isn't the freedom/responsibility to react to real and perceived changes in the economy kinda part and parcel of a free-market system?

And finally (and most ridiculously) - you're not going to blame the drop in the stock market on the president, are you? Because that's a fool's errand, and in this specific instance, just wrong. Unless you're absolutely blinded by partisanship, we would all have to believe that the policies of a GOP government from 2000-2006, and a Republican admin from 2006-2008 absolutely destroyed the economy of this country. The jury is still out on how Obama and the Dems will do in the long run, but a majority of economists say that the ARRA prevented a second great depression and in fact wasn't large enough.

But don't let reality get in the way of a good rant.

whats_going_on 4 years, 4 months ago

I think gas has actually gone down, or at least stayed "steady" We had a huge increase in 2008, then a huge dip, and it has gone up very slowly but not anything major.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

DIST, at different points you discuss the market and the effects on business in 2009-2010. Yes, many businesses have seen declines and faced difficulties in the time Obama has been in office, but it is largely if not entirely related to the previous fall in the economy that happened prior to his presidency.

The way you are describing the economy is like someone who falls off a ladder, but only blames the ground for his broken arm. You wouldn't have the end result without the initial action. You are ignoring the initial action.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

In other news: "“Thirty thousand people turned out in East Point on Wednesday seeking applications for government-subsidized housing, and their confusion and frustration, combined with the summer heat, led to a chaotic mob scene that left 62 people injured. At the Tri-Cities Plaza Shopping Center, emergency vehicles passed each other, transporting 20 people to hospitals. Medical and police command posts were set up on scene. East Point police wore riot gear. Officers from four other agencies supported them. Yet no arrests were made. All of this resulted from people attempting to obtain Section 8 housing applications and, against long odds, later securing vouchers for affordable residences. Some waited in line for two days for the applications…” http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/housing-crisis-reaches-full-589653.html Too bad these people couldn't get sweet, high-paying gigs like the Democrats that were running Bell, CA.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

In other news -- snap still has nothing worthwhile to add.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

They will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

Now I just wish I knew what "it" was.

What in my statement don't you care for Aiko? Would you like to attempt a reasoned argument against anything I wrote, or are you really just that surprised someone might have a viewpoint that isn't your own?

Thanks verity.

Mike Ford 4 years, 4 months ago

I've seen an underlying theme from the dumblicans, tealicans, godlicans, and gunlicans. The dumblicans have no new ideas so the tealicans have acted like a virus and taken over the picking of canddates for the dumblicans. The godlicans cling to their god and act like the world is ending and blame it on the successor to their annoited family the bushes and silently repeat all of their racist interpretations of bible verses like my ex-grandfather used to state to themselves and feign victomhood over gay mairrage and abortion in the health care bill ( listening to the crazies on 92.3 FM on the weekends gives one a lot of insight on crazies with these subjects) while the gunlicans wave the flag buy all the guns and ammo and act if Mr. Obama is seriously going to take their guns all the while the assault weapons ban has passed and every gun in Cabela's circulars looks like it's made for paramilitary use and Jayhawk Pawn looks like assault weapon central on the back wall. Just because you lost the 2008 elections doesn't mean you have to act like a bunch of crazies but you have. so much for substance. All of this whining about the stimulus and the bailouts is the perfect example. Do you honestly think that all of Bush's messes were instantly going to go away? are you part of the instant gratification generation? The stocks have stayed between 9200 and 11000 for some time now. Four months before Bush left office the stocks went into a freefall from market collapse of car companies, banks, mortgage companies excedera. There has to be a building point before there is sustained growth. All of this finger pointing at Obama is like watching a patient with both legs broken trying to walk in therapy for the first time and a bunch of idiots claiming failure when this patient known as the U.S. Economy doesn't go into a full sprint immediately. I love how all four groups of these people had total amnesia as their president was like Julius Caesar playing away in the tower as the city burned and when the next person came to fix things they blamed all of the destruction on the successor. Next time don't trust or vote for a Bush and we won't be in a mess that the following president has to clean up with a bunch of impatient haters with amnesia ranting illogically at make believe fears.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 4 months ago

There is some refreshing insight from David Stockman, former budget director for the Reagan Adminstration in the news today.

Apparently, he is blaming BOTH political parties for the mess we are in but mostly the Republican mythology about tax cuts and overspending on the military. He says the Republicans should file bankruptcy for the dumb moves they have made.

I think any common sense American that is not brainwashed poltically already knows this but now we have someone that has been there and done that and he is saying the same thing.

Here is a link but there are plenty of news outlets telling the story.

The Blackberrys and Droids to the Republican propaganda chiefs are probably vibrating in pockets around the world today.