LJWorld.com weblogs deec

Amazingly Convenient Timing; Koch Lobbyists Set up Shop in Madison

How much freaking money do you need? These cats are worth a combined 43 billion dollars. Once they own the world, what do they plan to do with it? When will Americans finally wake up to what is happening? Will we enjoy being yet another third-world starvation nation? Do I have more overwrought rhetorical questions? Absolutely! I'm auditioning to write the Saturday column. Seriously, I don't understand having this kind of greed as your god. I guess that's why I'm not a conservative republican. http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_7e8aa25a-3ec0-11e0-9923-001cc4c03286.html

Comments

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

Relax and have a popsicle, deec. It's a cool and fruity to treat for you to enjoy during your hysterics.

deec 3 years, 9 months ago

No thanks, I don't like popsicles.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

Who are going to need cooling are the naive simplistic teas when they find the puppet strings are strangling them.

QuinnSutore 3 years, 9 months ago

I love how libs picture the Koch brothers sitting inside the Legion of Doom plotting their next step toward world domination.

It's called jealousy. You'd have money, libs, if you got off of the teat and earned your own keep.

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

Why do I always get the nagging impression that I'm actually better off financially than you or half the people who make this claim? Sure, I'm not rich to the point that I can buy a small island or my own network of John Birch Society astroturf campaigns, but neither are you.

deec 3 years, 9 months ago

How do you equate buying politicians with "earning money"? The Koch brothers are wealthy due to the labor of the lumberjacks, truck drivers, oil riggers and others who do the actual work to make the products. The bros buy politicians. I say again, how much money do these people need? The Bible, which many greed-driven people claim to believe, specifically addresses greed as a bad thing. http://www.christinyou.net/pages/greed.html

QuinnSutore 3 years, 9 months ago

So we should give all our possessions to the poor?

You first. Starting with your computer.

meggers 3 years, 9 months ago

And then there's this:

<<<<<<<<<During the some-20-minute phone call, the prankster asked if there was anything he could do to help — such as "planting some troublemakers" among the protesters.

Walker paused, then said, "We thought about that."

The governor added, "My only fear would be that is if there was a ruckus was caused, is that that would scare the public into thinking maybe the governor has got to settle to avoid all these problems.

...continued...

Toward the end of the call, the prankster tells Walker, "Once you crush these bastards, I'll fly you out to Cali and really show you a good time."

Walker replies on the recording: "All right, that would be outstanding."

The governor then thanks "Koch" for his support, chats a bit and ends the call by saying, "Thanks a million. Bye now.">>>>>>>>>>>

Terry Jacobsen 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow. That was a whole lot of nothing. If that's all you've got in your whine bag you'd better stay on the porch. The big dogs will eat you alive.

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

"How much freaking money do you need?"

Why is that any of your business? Are you the new you-only-need-this-much-money czar?

Also, all of it.

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

"I don't understand having this kind of greed as your god"

I don't understand having your kind of covetousness as your god.

Fangorn 3 years, 9 months ago

"The Koch brothers are wealthy due to the labor of the lumberjacks, truck drivers, oil riggers and others who do the actual work to make the products." And those lumberjacks, truck drivers, oil riggers and other all have jobs because the Koch brothers created the businesses that employ them. Is that so difficult to understand? Apparently for many on the Left it is. If any of those workers felt they would be better off with a different employer, they are free to seek employment elsewhere. Many alternatives exist. But obviously many of those workers choose to continue to work for the Koch brothers, otherwise their businesses would fail. The process works when people are free to make or to continue associations (like employment) that both parties find beneficial. And to end that association when it is no longer beneficial for one or both. It is arrogant to believe that a third-party has the requisite knowledge and understanding to decide that the arrangement is bad because one party benefits on a greater scale than they believe is proper.

"The bros buy politicians." You presume a cause-effect relationship here without even bothering to make a case for it. It is certainly possible that money given to politicians could "buy" their votes on issues. New Jersey, New Orleans and Chicago - the home of a certain very highly placed member of the Executive Branch - are famous for this type of corruption. But it is also possible that money is given to support politicians because they (already) support particular issues important to the givers. If you can show that Koch brothers' money directly changed a politicians vote on an issue, then you may be able to make the case for political corruption. But you don't make that case. You don't even try. You merely imply it and expect us to accept it as fact.

My words are unlikely to persuade you. Your beliefs are deeply set that the involvement of the wealthy in political matters constitutes corruption and damages our political system. That being the case, I look forward to reading your diatribe about all the money George Soros has poured into the system over the years.

Richard Payton 3 years, 9 months ago

Gadhafi blames al-Qaida for unrest so did George Bush.

ksriver2010 3 years, 9 months ago

And they make the lumberjacks, truck drivers, oil riggers and others who do the actual work wealthy too, as well as the towns like Wichita, Green Bay WI, and Atlanta.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 9 months ago

I, for one, would like to know about Merrill's international ties to the Koch family.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 9 months ago