LJWorld.com weblogs Dangerous Ideas

Here we go again!

Looks like it's open season on science again. Michelle Bachmann has decided that schools should teach intelligent design, according to CNN.

She allegedly said, after professing her belief in intelligent design:

"What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide. I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt on both sides."

Now I am all for inquiry based science, and helping students develop scientific intuition but I wonder how you can do inquiry based science about intelligent design?

Comments

beatrice 3 years, 6 months ago

What?

You mean Michelle Bachmann holds extreme conservative views!

Who knew? She always seemed like such a rational individual before running for president.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 6 months ago

Not extreme...NUTTY.

It must have been a result of the trauma of her tail of getting abducted by a lesbian nun.

beatrice 3 years, 6 months ago

Lesbian nuns -- isn't that redundant?

Okay, I didn't just write that. Somebody must have hacked my account.

(Just a joke, folks. I didn't mean it. Take it easy.)

jafs 3 years, 6 months ago

"letting students decide"

That's an interesting version of teaching.

Should we apply this in all fields? If you think 2+3 should equal 7, fine?

scott3460 3 years, 6 months ago

Don't be ridiculous. My religion teaches 2+3 equals "coconut tofu." How dare the liberal mainstream teacher's unions and government Obama schools undermine my sacred beliefs. I demand that a coconut tofu centric view of the world be taught all elementary students. Some may have been brainwashed in to thinking that 2+3 equals 5, but I say instruct children on all of the possible interpretations of reality and then let them choose based on which version Faux "News" has decided gets the best ratings (which I am guessing will involve some sort of celebrity slut parade expounding on how for the very, very reasonable price of only $9.99, you too can share in the blessings of coconut tofu)

The revolution will not be televised.

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 6 months ago

I have no problem with her idea.. .as soon as Intelligent Design becomes a reviewed and accepted Applied Science.

(.. and applause to tange above, although I'm not fond of that particular cover/remix, your joke was classic)

devobrun 3 years, 6 months ago

Applied science, raerae? Very funny. Narrative is the word. Science that explains. Kinda like the Emperor and his clothes.

Intelligent design....Evolution. And all apelike creatures derive from a common apelike ancestor. Do that one for me, raerae, tomorrow will be OK.

What a bunch of hooey. All of it.

Politics and hubris and phlegm. And the economy continues to fall because evolution is so......fecund.

Kathy Getto 3 years, 6 months ago

Not to mention it is unconstitutional - oh, wait - she will fix that damnable constitution, too.

TheYetiSpeaks 3 years, 6 months ago

It's not unconstitutional. Intelligent design is not religion specific. It's vague.
P.S.- It's sort of humorous to see a conservative or a liberal making reference to their political rivals "fixing" the Constitution since both Republicans and Democrats are doing damage to it.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 6 months ago

The origins of the intelligent design myth was written wholly and uniquely by Christian Extremists to try and trick others...we ain't that stupid and it is NOT science in any way shape or form. It is mythology. Further, it does not even conform to many mainstream religions and is not accepted by many Christians, it is a narrow sect of Extreme Christian Supremacists.

Show me the day when real scientist or even a well balanced interfaith commission comes out in support of this, and you can take another step...but a word of caution...

I aint gonna happen.

TheYetiSpeaks 3 years, 6 months ago

I hear you....and of course it's not science....it's supernatural. However I know loved ones or acquaintances who claim to have experienced something we would most likely call supernatural. Did it really happen? Was it in their heads? Maybe, but it's at least worth mentioning with the lack of any other evidence to the contrary, nay?

Kathy Getto 3 years, 6 months ago

Oh, but it is, Yeti. For your reading pleasure: http://www.pamd.uscourts.gov/kitzmiller/kitzmiller_342.pdf

It is quite humorous that you purport I am a liberal based on my dislike for Bachmann and my love for the Establishment Clause. :-)

TheYetiSpeaks 3 years, 6 months ago

Okay, good....You're not a liberal (or conservative?) and we can both agree that our government representatives are destroying the freedoms set forth in the Constitution. As for the district court ruling, I no longer put too much stock in individual judgments by supposedly impartial appointed judges. I speak of my own opinion, and it is that ID is a vague THEORY and encompasses no specific religion and I would have no problem with it being presented along with the other theories to my children. I prefer my children have all the information and decide for themselves, separate of my preconceived ideology.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 6 months ago

I am less irked that she mucked it up than I am that her cult followers then were caught trying to change Wikipedia and other online sources to match her revisionist history. It demonstrates that the truth has no place in their crusade and worse, they do not want to accept honorable responsibility for their errors. A value of failure.

Jimo 3 years, 6 months ago

Zakaria: "Conservatism is true." That's what George Will told me when I interviewed him as an eager student many years ago. His formulation might have been a touch arrogant, but Will's basic point was intelligent. Conservatism, he explained, was rooted in reality. Unlike the abstract theories of Marxism and socialism, it started not from an imagined society but from the world as it actually exists. From Aristotle to Edmund Burke, the greatest conservative thinkers have said that to change societies, one must understand them, accept them as they are and help them evolve.

Watching this election campaign, one wonders what has happened to that tradition. Conservatives now espouse ideas drawn from abstract principles with little regard to the realities of America's present or past. This is a tragedy, because conservatism has an important role to play in modernizing the U.S.

Jimo 3 years, 6 months ago

Ever notice that you can't get Teapartiers to engage in an actual, fact-based discussion, even about their own issues of taxes, spending, and the deficit?

All we ever get from the peanut gallery is one distraction after another. Did you know Obama has implemented a 3.8% tax on all house sales? Did you hear about the sex scandal (that had no sex)? You know Revere did so too warn the British!! Etc., etc.

Anything to avoid basic facts: The gov't hasn't had so few employees for generations. Taxes make up the smallest share of GDP in living memory. There remains virtually no reform of Wall Street despite the fact that they almost took the world off the cliff 36 months ago. The half-stimulus was large enough to stop another depression but small enough to leave us with a meager recovery. Cutting taxes does not bring in more revenue (or is that supposed to be the point, that revenues fall and fall, forcing borrowing, and making us choose: Grandma or the Koch Bros.?)

tomatogrower 3 years, 6 months ago

As I always say, don't confuse people with facts and evidence. It messes with their own personal reality.

verity 3 years, 6 months ago

Ohhh---grilled coconut tofu. Can I come too?

You know what with tofu and all, it's going to be a grand liberal elitist party. I'll bring the arugula.

verity 3 years, 6 months ago

Oh, tange, you've been wandering far too long in the esoteric fields of free form wonderment and not paying attention to that which is really important.

Arugula is the iceberg lettuce of the eastern ivy league liberal elite. Obama eats it, therefore we must.

verity 3 years, 6 months ago

Could lala be one of the disappearededs reappearing? Where are our forensics experts?

Isn't lalalala what you say when you put your fingers in your ears and refuse to listen to what you don't want to hear?

verity 3 years, 6 months ago

Even if what she's been doing is not illegal (and that is questionable), it's still "pig at the trough."

deec 3 years, 6 months ago

I propose a celebrity death match between Palin and Bachmann, only instead of fighting they have to correctly answer factual questions. Whoever gets one right first, wins. They can't leave the arena until one of them wins. That ought to take them both out of commission for a while.