LJWorld.com weblogs Culture Crumbs

"Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" — Who's your pick?

If you happen to follow me on Twitter, you probably already know that on Monday I got a call from a producer from "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" the Food Network hit starring bleach-blond foodie Guy Fieri, who is always on the look out for top-quality, unique food made from scratch in America's greasy spoons.

I decided to ask the Twitter-verse what Lawrence restaurants they would love to see on the show. To say the response I got was huge would be an understatement — the Tweets and e-mails have been coming fast and furious ever since. The local joints people have suggested that fit the show's focus:

The Basil Leaf Cafe
The Burger Stand at Dempsey's
Local Burger
Biemer's BBQ
A.B.'s Coffee and Crepes
La Familia
Gran-Daddy's BBQ
The Wheel
Rudy's
Johnny's Tavern
Bigg's BBQ
Cielito Lindo

So, I've decided to open up the question to all you non-Tweeting folks: What restaurant do you think the show should visit in Lawrence?

Let us know in the comments section below or Tweet us at @LJWPulse, @lcom or @shhenning.

Also, just so you know, the show's producers are just doing research for a POSSIBLE trip to the Kansas City area. Don't expect to see Guy Fieri's spiky head on Mass. Street anytime this week or anything.

Comments

designdiva 5 years, 3 months ago

There are no Diners, Drive-in, or Dives worthy in Lawrence. There are some great places to eat here, but none qualify as a diner, drive-in, or dive. Step it up, Lawrence!

ontheroadfitness 5 years, 3 months ago

Guy should hit up Jasmin Restaurant in Eudora, KS. Mexican AND Chinese food, that can't be beat, from a little mom and pop shop!

hail2oldku 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with designdiva to an extent.

I would include the original Johnny's and Border Bandido both in the dives category, though Johnny's has been a little too preppy the last 5-10 years to qualify as a dive really.

Who are the top three or four that you've been tweeted Sarah?

Mike George 5 years, 3 months ago

I would completely agree with diva and hail, especially the thought of including Biggs. What??? Do we need to introduce you to decent BBQ? There are some eccentric places, but the food ain't that great.

Mike George 5 years, 3 months ago

I just remembered Biemers if you want a really good quality BBQ suggestion.

somedude20 5 years, 3 months ago

you want nasty gassy go to burrito king... that goop is so gross that I am not sure if the fat man will eat it.

kugrad 5 years, 3 months ago

The only place mentioned worth considering is the great El Matador Cafe, where I have dined regularly for over 20 years. Still, since I watch the show, I don't think it is the sort of place they typically profile. None of the others really come even close, except maybe Grandaddy's, and are simply not the right type of place to profile on the show. They'd be better off at Arthur Bryants in downtown KC on Brooklyn than anywhere in Lawrence.

feetup 5 years, 3 months ago

El Matador!!! dr. reed special please!

schula 5 years, 3 months ago

Rudy's Pizza would be my choice.

I agree with everyone else that has said we don't really have the kind of place he is looking for. Too bad the Paradise Cafe is closed. I could see him in there.

William Pike 5 years, 3 months ago

Local burger... or La Familia (spinach & home-style ench!) this show isn't really about "triple D" its more about finding unique food in odd places.. I also hear that "new" burger joint at 6th and Vermont is really awesome

AimsMc 5 years, 3 months ago

What about Local Burger? Unique, Original to the area and a great place to eat!

mommy1 5 years, 3 months ago

I know this may not be consider either "triple D"...but how about Miltons? Good food, fun place!

meggers 5 years, 3 months ago

Of the restaurants listed, I have to go with Rudy's.

Free State might work pretty well if he wants to examine beer and it's infusion with food. Guy could hammer back a few Oatmeal Stouts and get down with some beer-battered onion rings.

dncinnanc 5 years, 3 months ago

Definitely the Bleu Tomato in De Soto... it's in an old pizza place (I think??) but the food is WONDERFUL. It's a seasonal menu that's fairly "upscale" for the cheap price you pay!

5 years, 3 months ago

I'm with Informed. That new place in the gas station sounds just like something Guy would love. Looks like a dive but makes some good grub.

irussell 5 years, 3 months ago

Hands down - El Matador. Joe is an awesome cook!

d_prowess 5 years, 3 months ago

I WISH Gran-Daddy's was still located next to the strip club because then the location would be perfect. However, I like the suggestion of the Italian Place located in the gas station.
The other places mentioned are all good, but I am not sure they qualify as a Diner, a Drive-In, or a Dive!

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

Local Burger is unique and original to the area, but the last few times I ate there, it was like a hardee's burger. Nothing that special. Granddaddy's is pretty good, but not so good that you want to melt when you take a bite. I can't imagine there's a spot around here that would give Guy "the money" food he's looking for.

Brad Barker 5 years, 3 months ago

Terrebonne - Handmade food, mom-n-pop type place, awesome po' boys and desserts.

Or Dempsey's - Unique burgers and awesome fries, seems to fit the type of places DD&Ds would visit.

miberend 5 years, 3 months ago

Free State is awesome. But please, it isn't a diner, drive in or dive by any stretch. On the pizza front Papa Kinos or Rudys. On the Mexician front El Matadoror or Tortas Jalisco would be great. Angel even started out in the gas station.

conservativepunker 5 years, 3 months ago

All the good one's have closed in Lawrence. Larry is just becoming another McTown....

helter_skelter 5 years, 3 months ago

Dempsey's. Not sure if it qualifies as a diner, definitely not a dive. But still has the best burgers in the area.

Graczyk 5 years, 3 months ago

I think Milton's would work well on the show.

flamingoroad 5 years, 3 months ago

I would say Dempsey's. There really isn't any other place where they should go. Maybe Johnny's North. The BBQ places here are not that good.

Tammie Bryant 5 years, 3 months ago

Dempsey's and Ixtapa.
Parubsky's in Topeka, mmmmm!

always4ever 5 years, 3 months ago

The diner in Grantville is awesome. Their breakfast is better than anywhere in Lawrence.

lilyanne 5 years, 3 months ago

Definitely The Basil Leaf Cafe inside the Phillips 66 Gas Station just east of 6th & Kasold!!!!

always_correct 5 years, 3 months ago

Dempsey's, Basil Leaf Cafe, Free State, Terrabonne (tiny po'boy restaurant), Biemer's.

FredGarvin_MP 5 years, 3 months ago

Leroy's in Pomona, great smoked ribs. The owner smoked the meat at Guy & Mae's in Williamsburg for years before starting his own place in Pomona.

braverthanu 5 years, 3 months ago

Gran-Daddy's hands down. If you haven't been there you have never had real BBQ.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

i agree w/ design diva. especially local burger. i appreciate their intentions but their stuff is too highly priced and the portions are too small (if they were on TV, tho, they'd probably up the portions to make it look better) to be on triple D.

cozy inn here in salina would be a good food network place but i don't even think it would be a good fit for triple D because they don't have a diverse menu. they only serve burgers, chips and pop.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

i'm still waiting for triple D to do a special on K.C. bbq. they've done memphis and texas-- why not K.C.?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

papa kenos would have to clean their place up first before they could have cameras in there!

AimsMc 5 years, 3 months ago

Sylas and Maddy's Homemade Ice Cream

I have seen a lot of Ice Cream places featured on Triple D...so why not? The best ice cream, made locally and all those flavors!

jlb2283 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure that some of the commenters actually watch the show. There are a couple of great places in Lawrence that would fit the show wonderfully. I would suggest: Buffalo Bob's, Rudy's, and Munchers. Three local places that have been in this town forever. People drive to eat at Bob's and Rudy's and Munchers has some of the best baked goods around.

I would agree with some of the commenters that suggest there are some really great places in Topeka (in addition to Bobo's Drive-In which the show has already stopped at).

jlb2283 5 years, 3 months ago

AimsMc I agree with Sylas and Mady's too - that place is amazing!!!

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

Ug, munchers, that grosses me out. The last two times I went to munchers I found what looked suspiciously like a pube in my cinnamon roll. The first time I was willing to overlook it, throw it away and give them another try a different time. Then it happened the next time I went in. Never again! Always4ever mentioned the diner in Grantville. I had forgotten about that place and you're right, they are awesome. There's also a rib place called Guy and Mae's somewhere? I had ribs there once that were out of this world.

Grump 5 years, 3 months ago

Almost Home Cafe in Grantville. Porubsky's in Topeka. Perry Bar & Grill.

foodcritic 5 years, 3 months ago

It has to be Dempsey's. I watch that show, and in my opinion, Dempsey's is the only one that fits the bill. The burgers and fries they serve are amazing, and a surprise because they are served in a dark bar. Dempsey's would do Lawrence proud on the show.

ohgeeze 5 years, 3 months ago

Dempsey's...Dempsey's...Dempsey's! It fits the show...the Kobe and the Black and Blue burger? And the fries and the variety of dipping sauces?? yum.

I think Dempsey's would be perfect! (and now I really want it for dinner...)

meggers 5 years, 3 months ago

Another place not in Lawrence that might be good is Beto Junction in Lebo, KS. I haven't been there in years, but they used to have gigantic cinnamon rolls and much better than average "greasy spoon" fare.

There is also a very good german restaurant in Paola called Beethoven's.

schula 5 years, 3 months ago

ACG -- the rib place you are referring to is in Williamsburg, KS and it would be a great place for Triple D to visit.

rlmtyco 5 years, 3 months ago

I love that show and even own the cookbooks from that show that he came out with a few years back. Alot of people are right, NO PLACE in this town is worth being on that show. I am disappointed that they have resorted to methods like this to attain places to show on their show. Lawrence has some good food, I like some of the places on the list but come on now, none of them are what I consider tourist attractions that are must eats like many of the places shown on the tv show.

Anyone that disagrees must not watch the show on a regular basis

djrandym 5 years, 3 months ago

I vote for Biggs Bar B Q! It's the only place with that much character in Lawrence! Plus, the owner is the funniest guy in town that could go head to head with Guy!

rlmtyco 5 years, 3 months ago

OMG i just noticed Biggs was on the list, was that a joke? I pray we dont select a place like that if we do, I would feel embarassed knowing he has to go there and act like he likes the food.

Rex Russell 5 years, 3 months ago

I wish it was still open but the little diner in Billtown. Next to the Hamms quarry trucks. best pie and diner food ever.

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, Rex, Sharon's Billtown Cafe. They had a meatloaf plate that would knock your socks off. It was weird, one day it was there and the next it was gone, completely, even the building. Too sad!

promitida 5 years, 3 months ago

I think that Freestate is a great idea because of its location and the associated history. It also has a great atmoshere; I can imagine them panning the front porch when it's overflowing with people (and their dogs). The food is pretty delicious too.

mom_of_three 5 years, 3 months ago

As far as barbecue, I went to Hickory Creek Bar and Barbecue in Baldwin, and it was great. I have frequented grandaddys, but the last time we had it, not so great... I don't think Bigg's falls under diner, drive in or dive. I would think about La Familia, but not sure it is a diner, drive in, although being next to a bar....may fit in there somewhere.

hail2oldku 5 years, 3 months ago

jibs lost all credibility as soon as he/she put Buffalo Bobs on this thread.

That place hasn't been good in over 20 years, if ever.

HOMETOWNBOY 5 years, 3 months ago

Try a Burger at Puckett's in Baldwin! Beats everyplace in Lawrence hands down.

always4ever 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree Sharon's Billtown Cafe was soooo good, but I think I might like the diner in Grantville even better. Yes, the food at Perry Bar and Grill is incredibly good too. Does anyone remember Trude's Drive Inn in Perry? Could you imagine Guy having a conversation with Maxine? Bananas!

grannyd 5 years, 3 months ago

What about Aimee's? Definitely a mom & pop place with some surprisingly good food and generous portions at reasonable prices. The only place in downtown Lawrence that you can get breakfast at night. Also, the people who run this place have got to be the friendliest and most tolerant in town.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

they need to go to the anchor room in hutchinson.

alchemist 5 years, 3 months ago

Dempsey's is the only place I would suggest.

imagainstit 5 years, 3 months ago

Watch the show faithfully, lived in Lawrence since 1968. While I have numerous favorite local eateries, I think The El Matador and Gran-daddys are our best local matches for the shows forum.

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 3 months ago

El Matador. Cooked fresh, to order, and with the pride of 50+ years in operation by one family. I recommend the pork burrito special. Fridays they have one of the best lunch buffets in town.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

hillbilly, i'm going to remember that place in winfield, if i'm ever down that way again! (what a name!)

Outsidelookingin 5 years, 3 months ago

Diner, Drive-in or Dive.....Let me think????? Does the Bird still serve lunch?

flux 5 years, 3 months ago

Buffalo Bobs is hands down the worst BBQ I have ever had, so that reccomendation must of come from an employee. Also, we cant spend our entire lives at Free State brewery people! I love thier beer as well but everytime I go there I see that the exact same revolving group of people are still hanging out on the porch that were there 15 years ago........ go do something!

rossignol686 5 years, 3 months ago

I think that The Basil Leaf Cafe, would be perefect for DDD. The Basil Leaf is a place that Guy would love simply because it's in a gas station. And to everyone saying there is nothing that qualifies to be put on DDD you need to check out the Basil Leaf on 6th St.

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 3 months ago

I went to Milton's for breakfast with my son, who had never been there, and was embarrassed when we were served toast that was so hard and stale it couldn't even be used for crouton material. My husband and I went to La Familia. He ordered queso dip and they used imitation cheese that was so lumpy and rubbery it made me think of a kid's science experiment.

bwebcorp 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree Lawrence lacks anything worthy of DD&D but some places that could possibly work:

Dempsey's Alladin Cafe (might not qualify due to multiple locations) Miltons The Mirth The Basil Leaf Cafe (might be to new)

hitime - It's called Kobe Beef. It's supposed to be rare or medium rare. Well done burgers are available at BK or MkD's.

LA_Ex 5 years, 3 months ago

The Basil Leaf!!! How often do you find high quality Italian food in a gas station? It just seems like the obvious choice. Some of the other are really good food but they just don't fit the DDD bill. The burger place in Dempsey's comes in at a 2nd place, but The Basil Leaf is by far my top choice.

silentilproven 5 years, 3 months ago

Almost Home Cafe in Grantville would be a GREAT fit for the show. I have been going there for years, great food and great time sitting around listening to the farmers talk.

Beth Bird 5 years, 3 months ago

I can't think of one place in Lawrence that is worthy of Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives - However - There are a couple of "local" places that would be good .... 1. Guy and Mae's BBQ in Williamsburg, KS (West of Ottawa) (They also won one of the 8 wonders of Kansas awards) 2. Chicken Annie's in Bronson, KS (between Iola and Ft. Scott)

Thanks!

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

I had forgotten The Bird, too. They do still serve lunch and it's pretty good food. Even though Chris Rock says u should never eat anything at a strip joint. :)

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

LOL @ flux

has anyone eaten at the BBQ shack in paola? that was featured on triple D a few years ago. looks fabuloso! i was actually thinking of taking a road trip just to eat there!

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 5 years, 3 months ago

Dempsey's for sure! Honorable mention to the always-dependable hot dog vendor parked outside Third Planet.

I was surprised to see A.B.s Crepes on the list. Every time I drive by that place it is dark and closed. I figured it went out of business.

5 years, 3 months ago

Having never been there and wanting some fried oysters, I tried Terrebonne today. Since a coworker picked up for me (thank you Cyndi!) I didn't end up with fries, but wanted them!

Anyway, I can just see Guy there with his sunglasses on backwards. The sauce is spicy and matched the other layers well without overpowering everything. Guy would LOVE it!

lgreen17 5 years, 3 months ago

Free state, El Mezcal & El Madator are restaurants, not diners, dives or drive ins.

Dempsey's is the only place that would be appropriate for the show IMO.

mommydearest 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm going to go w/ La Familia. That's my fave.

OwlHead 5 years, 3 months ago

The problem is that there isn't any outstanding bbq or mexican food in Lawrence, so while they may be dives, the quality of the food doesn't deserve to be on the show. I can't think of any place in Lawrence that deserves the show.Perhaps a "dive" could make it, but once again, is the food worth pimping, or is it a bad dive? Been wanting to try Dempsey's

A.B. Crepes might be a good candidate, however, I have never eaten there.

overall not looking good for L town.

pooh_ray 5 years, 3 months ago

Border Banditos

oh.. if only Potatoe Mountian was still around..

or Jesters..

PIZZA SHUTTLE!!!

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

Poohray, the only time pizza shuttle is any good is when it's 4:00 a.m., you've been drinking whiskey for 6 hours, you need a massive input of grease, salt and cardboard, you don't want to/or can't drive to go get it and you only have like $7.00 to your name. And then it's still pretty bad.

heybluekc 5 years, 3 months ago

Free State Brewery is the only one worthy of Triple D in Lawrence. Hands down. Ok. Goodbye.

shepdog 5 years, 3 months ago

Not in Lawrence but for D.D.D. I think "Strouds". The one by the bridge but they moved out of that one. The one in North K.C. where you walk downhill in the restaurant. Not down stairs, down hill!!!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

acg, and even then, after the 3rd piece you're like "what the hell??....."

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

i have heard of strouds. what kind of food is it?

i used to like waids. the one on southwest trafficway. the best pigs in the blanket. mmmmm

okay... now i'm hungry.

shepdog 5 years, 3 months ago

Not healthy but fried chicken. Just like mom use to make. Family style. Cinnamon rolls to die for!!!

Greatgal 5 years, 3 months ago

To us Bigg's BBQ is a great addition to the Lawrence restaurant scene. The food is great, the atmosphere is such fun, and it is such a hard-working group of people. You need to try it if you haven't. It's south of 23rd St. on Iowa in the Kief's center.

always4ever 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Greatgal. If you haven't tried Bigg's in awhile, try it again. We hadn't eaten there in a long time and ate there recently. It was very good. We are planning to return again soon.

handsome 5 years, 3 months ago

Personally, my wife and I travel all the way from K.C. to eat Bar-B-Q at Biggs Ribs. It's the best Bar-B-Q in the State!! I really hope this gets the Food Network's attention. The public needs to know about this place.

flux 5 years, 3 months ago

Handsome definitely works at Biggs

Hop2It 5 years, 3 months ago

We actually rented a big van a drove group of people to Guy and Mays in Williamsburg. Ribs wrapped in foil and newspaper for the "tourists" from Lawrence. As with the show, its not just food, its the whole vibe.

katjok 5 years, 3 months ago

There is better barbeque in Pomona, Ks than in Lawrence. But Guy & Mae's is great too. I agree - no triple D's here.

bretherite 5 years, 3 months ago

Sorry I can't see anywhere in Lawrence worthy of DDD. I still question BoBo's in Topeka getting on there. Yes, I grew up inTopeka and lived many years in Lawrence. I now live in Sacramento where Guy claims has the best Burger in the Country THE SQUEEZE INN. People lined up around the block BEFORE DDD brought them to national attention and now it is insane. You wait 45 minutes OUTSIDE just to get into order.There is NOWHERE in Lawrence I would wait 10 minutes to get into. I would have to say Oklahoma Joe's in KC gets my vote.

fearsadness14 5 years, 3 months ago

Burger Stand at Dempsey's without a doubt

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 3 months ago

Oklahoma Joe's got Anthony Bourdain's vote too. One of the top 13 places to eat before you die.

MIke Mallory 5 years, 3 months ago

GUY AND MAES TAVERN, BEST BARBEQUE. ITS WORTH THE DRIVE. HANDS DOWN!! EL MADADORE IS A GOOD CALL ALSO.

JustNoticed 5 years, 3 months ago

Johnny's? Johnny's is on that list? Are you kidding? I hadn't been there in years so I thought I'd check it out again. I went for the regular burger. Now, I don't really mind that style - thin patty, crispy on the edges - I even kind of like it in a way. But it has to be done right and this thing I was served was wrong in every way possible. Worthless, flavorless bun, overcooked meat and nothing else worth the trouble of chewing. VERY disappointing

jhawks1234 5 years, 3 months ago

Do the Brookville hotel, located just off I70 in Abilene...Great history and great food!!!

IAwildrose 5 years, 3 months ago

They aren't in Lawrence but some of the best grease around is the original Fritz's on 18th. or Town Topic on Broadway in KC.

George_Braziller 5 years, 3 months ago

I can't believe Rudy's was on the list. I've picked up a slice there half a dozen times just because it was convenient. Yuck.

Rubber cheese and a really strange crust that is somewhere between a stale saltine cracker and a raw flour tortilla.

Marcia Epstein 5 years, 3 months ago

Terrebonne!!! Carl's cajun and Carol's desserts - it doesn't get any more special than that!

redwombat 5 years, 3 months ago

Dempsy's. Most definitely Dempsy's. I had the Mushroom Burger Friday night and my spouse had the Smoke Burger. Both were so wonderful we shared the whole meal. The place was packed with all sorts of people, young, old, little kids with moms and dads, college students, people on dates. Great place, locally owned and a true Lawrence Original.

castarke25 5 years, 3 months ago

to bad The Cheeseshop isn't around, that would have been perfect!!!! Or Joes bakery, that would have been a great one too!!!! And who ever said Jeffersons earlier, really? Majority of their food is frozen and then fried!!!

Angie Dick 5 years, 3 months ago

I vote la familia. Everthing is home made!! Jenny taught all her kids how to cook her famous recipes....... YUMMY!!!

Kris Craven 5 years, 3 months ago

Papa Kenos, Rudys, Wheat Fields or Free State...

George_Braziller 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope you do realize there isn't any "history" there. It's a steel building sitting next to a four-lane highway with a sad facade on the front trying to pass as the original.

Brookville Hotel is actually IN Brookville which is miles and miles from Abilene.

jhawks1234 (Anonymous) says… Do the Brookville hotel, located just off I70 in Abilene…Great history and great food!!!

nm84 5 years, 3 months ago

While Lawrence has plenty of wonderful eateries, I've wondered for years why Guy & Mae's Tavern in Williamsburg, KS hasn't been featured on the show!

nm84 5 years, 3 months ago

always4ever:

Ahhh! I remember my parents ordering Trude's Mushrooms as a 'special snack' when I was a kid!

Thanks for the memory!

Graczyk 5 years, 3 months ago

I think people assume that just because a place is featured on DDD that the food is outstanding. That's the magic of TV folks. For example, the Silver Skillet in Atlanta (in episode 508 I believe) is a neat place, but the food isn't all that special. It's just a diner. Milton's has better food. Granted, Milton's does not have the 60 something year old Southern waitress, but it's still a diner.

Episode list - http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/guys-diners-drive-ins-and-dives/index.html

unhilarious 5 years, 3 months ago

dempsy's for sure! crappy bar turned perfect, delicious, fresh, gourmet burgers?! done deal.

pfunk81 5 years, 3 months ago

Anyone suggesting Johnnys', Papa Kenos' or Buffalo Bobs' should be restricted from eating out, ever. Those are three of the worst places in town to eat. Johnnys' and Kenos' maybe 5 years ago, they are both horrible now.

Nikki May 5 years, 3 months ago

Too bad Buckys isn't an option. I'd vote for Buckys (when Duane still owned it)! Also, I love Bobo's in Topeka. I might have to look into seeing that episode. I haven't see it. You could go to Quinton's and have bread bowl soup, nothing original, but I still love to eat there.

kscybermom 5 years, 3 months ago

I've wanted to call the producers of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives to let them know about Jasmin's in Eudora for awhile. It's awesome food. If you haven't been to downtown Eudora to try this wonderful food, you're missing out.

classof75 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh, too long for the good old days of The Red Lion, Vista, and Aztec Inn.

AnnaUndercover 5 years, 3 months ago

It appears I'm with a lot of other people on this one! The Burger Stand @ Dempsey's. Had a really nice Black and Blue burger there the other day. :) Mmmm.

skybound 5 years, 3 months ago

We Be Smokin at the Paola Ks. Airport. Everytime my son comes back we fly in for the best BBQ ever! Plus the owners are awesome! Friendly and funny! Nothing better than a slab of ribs and with several sides to choose from and watching planes landing and taking off. And if you're lucky, there will be baby back ribs if we don't beat you first! They sell out fast!

rockchalker52 5 years, 3 months ago

El Matador! Best Mexican food on the Planet.

rkjmdew 5 years, 3 months ago

It has to be The Basil Leaf Cafe no doubt, perfect fit for the triple D. The food is very good all day long!

Clickker 5 years, 3 months ago

"El Matador! Best Mexican food on the Planet."

Clickker 5 years, 3 months ago

Biggs is Terrible.

And Guy & Maes is ok, but you will die of Lung cancer just walking in the place

gramob 5 years, 3 months ago

guy and maes would work also the little bbq place in wellsville but for lawrence my vote goes to the basil leaf cafe its new but the two young men there do a excellent job of making food for a good price with good service.

ltljim64 5 years, 3 months ago

Have seen Jasmine's in Eudora a couple times here, but have to mention them again! Is truly a family operation, and is some of the best Mexican AND Chinese around! Nothing fancy, just good food!

butterflylvr 5 years, 3 months ago

I think Jasmin in Eudora is a good pick!!

pfunk81 5 years, 3 months ago

Sorry papakeno but after you guys had closed, I was one of the first customers you had after re-opening. Guess what, my pizza was a burnt hunk of cardboard. You'd think you'd try to get your customers back with quality 'za...and what do sports have to do with this again?

errita 5 years, 3 months ago

So sorry to say it but Lawrence doesn't have anything that belongs on that show anymore. Paradise Cafe,Tin Pan Alley,Cornicopia would have all been great but there is just nothing like that anymore. El Matador is a great place I've only had the chance to eat there once but the food was wonderful and definitely will be going back soon. Terrebonne might actually fit with Triple D. Something unique. Have never caught it while it's open but have heard awesome things about it and the unique menu. BIGGS? Seriously? Not even going into that.

shotgun 5 years, 3 months ago

Come on people! there is no good BBQ or pizza in Lawrence! Pasta at a gas station? Triple D is about good food, character, and atmosphere. I honestly think everything in town falls short.

9070811 5 years, 3 months ago

I vote for Local Burger. Original and unique for Lawrence.

bisky1 5 years, 3 months ago

connie's in wichita. best mexican food ever

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 3 months ago

Now THIS should be on DDD! http://www.busterssaloon.com/ The place is the only business in a ghost town where half the houses are empty and falling down. The building it's in was built in the 1880's. The cafe part is in a building next door with a connecting doorway to the bar. The tables in the cafe are standard lightweights with tablecloths and stackable chairs. On Friday and Saturday nights after the kitchen closes at 10:00 they move the tables and stack the chairs to create a dance floor. Karaoke is on Friday night and live bands on Saturday. The decor is awesome; mounted heads of "t'irty point bucks", ancient rodeo photos and antiques are everywhere in a way that makes Cracker Barrel look like the corporate plastic they are. The food is good; bbq ribs smoked on the premises, prime rib and a hamburger to die for. Their fries are fresh cut from whole potatoes and made up per order. The woman who owns the place hand makes all of her pies and desserts. If DDD goes anywhere in Kansas they should go there.

Kris_H 5 years, 3 months ago

Places all over the NE KS map here...

I haven't tried the Basil Leaf, but to me most all the Lawrence places that have been mentioned just don't fit as a DDD-type place. I know they aren't looking for any chain places, for sure. They want something small but mighty, with unexpected food for the place.

Johnny's is a good place to hang out, drink, and listen to music, but I don't think the food there is all that good.

I don't know why they did Bobo's in Topeka (I live there). The best thing there is the pie. If I had picked a unique place in Topeka, it would have been Porubsky's (they should still do them!)

I sure would like to try Guy & Mae's in Williamsburg now, though...

BorderRuffian 5 years, 3 months ago

First of all, Don't no one ever mention Oklahoma Joe's ever again - it is about the most pitiful BBQ short of the McRib sandwich served at you-know-where.

Second, Tortas Jaliscos is about the perfect place, with the best food, and wonderful daily specials. I only wish I could make a chicken burrito as good as theirs.

Local Burger is more trendy than exceptional. Nothing really incredible. For an incredible burger go to Famous Dave's and get that huge burger topped with a big pile of pulled pork. Of course, Famous does not fit into the category of DDD.

I will say I am thrilled to see everyone's views here - there are a number of places I am going to try, including El Matador - you'll prolly see me there today.

Lastly, I gotta say, I tried Bobo's in Topeka - one of the places featured favorably in DDD and found it to be ho hum at best. Nothing special. Heck, about the best place I've tried in that section of Topeka is the St. Frances Hosp. food court. They're actually really good.

I really wish Larryville had some really great DDD's - but I also have to say, some of the little restaurants around the Mass. corridor are pretty good - especially Zen Zero

BorderRuffian 5 years, 3 months ago

O boy, o boy, o boy! After reading with extreme delight all about El Matador's - especially about their Friday buffet, I raced out of my casa, drove a considerable distance to North Larryville, and was thrilled to see that I would be able to get a table. I gotta tell you, though, boy was I disappointed.

First, their buffet bar was very small and limited. There were three enchilada selections, a pork dish, a pork and nopales dish, beans, rice, and maybe one or two others. For a buffet price of $8.00 (King's excellent Chinese buffet cost for lunch is a little over $6.00) you'd think there would be rather more.

I'd have been OK with that if the food was really good. However.....

The food was over all, rather bland and taste not particularly distinctive. The three different kinds of enchiladas I tried all tasted about the same, and all three left a rather greasy aftertaste. I have nothing against grease, either - I love good greasy ribs, and good, cheesy mexican quesos. But there was a pervasive, greasy after taste I didn't particularly enjoy. The pork dishes were little more than chunks of too long cooked pork swimming in a broth of various things that left their offerings down, leaving no distinctive taste, just a kinda poor representation. Even the fried potatoes (the best of the dishes) had the same greasy after-taste that the other dishes imparted.

While I have no regrets about trying this place out, it certainly did NOT measure up to the compliments doled out by other commenters here today.

I agree with Clickker who said, "Then you havent been to any Mexican restaraunts outside of Lawrence. It is simply some of the worst , most bland, Mexican food I have ever tasted. Go to one of the lowest rated joints in San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas, and you will see that it is 100 times better."

For a while there I thought I'd find my favorite - a Mexican buffet in or near Larryville. My past fav was Jaliscos in KCK, but I have not as of yet, found a suitable replacement buffet near here. Sigh.....

But I will still continue to highly recommend Tortas Jaliscos - not a buffet, but simply incredibly delicious authentic Mexican food.

BMI 5 years, 3 months ago

Applause.I can't help but wonder if El Mat's reputation was built simply on the fact it was one of two, family owned, simple, unadorned,semi-dive, put people's names on the menu to bring them back in, no frills, across the river restaurants from long ago. The fact you can sit and perhaps be only one of the few customers on their at the time, should be a clue. Seldom have I been in there when there were more than I few others present. Unfortunately I have a friend who likes to meet there, he likes to go because if they leave the jukebox off, we can discuss business better than other places. A sad reason to eat poor food, when with some effort they could serve enjoyable food such as at La Tropicana a few doors down.