LJWorld.com weblogs Culture Crumbs

K.C. culinary whiz to be on "Top Chef!"

topchefmastersgroup.png

topchefmastersgroup.png

So, you know we love our "Top Chef" here at Culture Crumbs, and now we have a reason to love it even more: A local chef is going to be on the Bravo show!

OK, so by local we mean Kansas City — the American Restaurant at Crown Center, no less — but that's cool, we'll take what we can get. (Note to the "Top Chef" folks — we have great chefs in Lawrence!)

Her name is Debbie Gold (that's her wielding the bread in the photo above) and she's the executive chef at the American, which if you know K.C., you know is a really fancy/drool-worthy restaurant downtown. She's one of 22 chefs appearing on this season of the show's spin-off "Top Chef Masters" which features famed chefs competing against each other in the kitchen.

The show's season debut is April 7. To learn more about Debbie, check out the report below from Kansas City's Fox 4.

Comments

amy_irenie 4 years, 2 months ago

so exciting! i love top chef!!

Agnostick 4 years, 2 months ago

While the original word sounded a bit sexist and condescending, I think "culinary whiz" is not only gender-neutral, but it makes me think of someone who has really distinguished themselves in their field... someone who has maybe colored outside the lines, or has had an unusually fast rise to the top.

Perfect!

Sarah Henning 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow, sorry to anyone who was insulted! It was totally innocent and I was just trying to avoid having "chef" and "chef" in the same headline — the last thing I wanted to call her was a "cook" — now that would be insulting! I don't mind changing it, but I do think we all should focus on Debbie and her talents rather than one word.

Thanks for reading, Sarah Henning

feeble 4 years, 2 months ago

One would think that terms used to describe professionals in our society (chef, doctor, professor) would be gender-neutral in the 21st century.

Agnostick 4 years, 2 months ago

Poor, poor word choice by the author of this blog.

I've tried to respectfully let her know my opinion on this. Some of you may also want to do this, as well. Just send her a PM as you would most any other user.

KansasPerson 4 years, 2 months ago

If anyone's interested, here's some more info on Debbie Gold:

Impressive!

supercowbellninja 4 years, 2 months ago

Bottom line is all you losers need to find something better to do on a Friday night than anonymously badger a blog headline of all things over a single dang word. We're talking about an entertainment blog here, people.

cfdxprt 4 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Alexander,

If you switch to most discussed, blogs will be denoted by Blog: title.

Sarah is an employee of the LJ-World. People who've been around here for a while know she has written idol, project runway and Top Chef blogs, if not more.

Also, anything discussing a reality tv program is probably not hard news.

Chef, Chefette, I initially read it as Chiefette and thought maybe a Chiefs Cheerleader or player wife way going to be on the show. That's just the font on my linux machine though and staring at a computer screen far too long today.

Dan Alexander 4 years, 2 months ago

Another point I've been wanting to make.

Blogs are not news, on the homepage, why wouldn't you try to make some distinction between what is written by reporters, and what is just fluff? I have asked Mr. Kealing in the past why the reporter's name is not listed on the "front" page, with no reply. I would like to add to this, why not clearly state what is blog and what is actual news? What you are left with is very little validity.

Steven Gaudreau 4 years, 2 months ago

Quick, burn your bra's in protest.

Hop2It 4 years, 2 months ago

Ms. Henning is, perhaps, a bloggette? Maybe she was just trying to draw attention to her blog..which apparently worked. I must admit I thought it was horrible headline.

Dan Alexander 4 years, 2 months ago

Never thought I would post again, but really ljworld? Really? Change your freaking headline, its a disgrace.

tessk 4 years, 2 months ago

There is no word in the dictionaries that I've checked spelled "chefette". I'm typically not politically correct because we've become so driven to be that way...but, I agree with the posters who are complaining about this strange headline. A chef is a chef is a chef--male or female.
–noun 1. the chief cook, esp. in a restaurant or hotel, usually responsible for planning menus, ordering foodstuffs, overseeing food preparation, and supervising the kitchen staff. 2. any cook.

rbwaa 4 years, 2 months ago

i also take offense to the term 'chefette' - i think it is demeaning and disrespectul to refer to an executive chef with that term and shows an extreme lack of insight on the part of the author of this blog. How about you edit that headline?

couranna1 4 years, 2 months ago

she is a great Chef The American is a top notch place to eat and yes crown center is close to downtown but not technically in it I guess

Vic 4 years, 2 months ago

I have to back KansasPerson here. I am sure that Debbie Gold did not go to culinary school to be a "chefette." It's like calling a female marine a "marionette." A chef is a respected title that one has to earn. Would the author like to be called a "reporterette" or a "writerette?"

KansasPerson 4 years, 2 months ago

Was I a dick? Grade A? If so, I'm sorry.

Was I showing a rude lack of support for Debbie Gold for this achievement? I may have been. Debbie Gold, if you're reading this, I congratulate you for your recognition as a "Top Chef."

But supercowbellninja, please look at it this way for a moment: How supportive is it to refer to an Executive Chef as a "chefette?"

That isn't a matter of grammar, and if you think it is, then there's no way I can explain it to you.

supercowbellninja 4 years, 2 months ago

Also a classy move by KansasPerson for being a grade-A dick but at least having the manners to apologize for it in advance.

Every time I come back to the LJW comment threads, I'm reminded why I left the last time and try my best to never read them.

supercowbellninja 4 years, 2 months ago

Jesus H Christ, people - remove the sticks from your collective rear ends and hand in your Grammar Police badges on the way out.

It's a blog about a local chef who is going to get the region some national exposure on a cool cooking show, which is awesome and I will watch it. The American is an awesome place to eat.

Take a deep breath and step away from the keyboards, people.

KansasPerson 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry to be so harsh, Sarah Henning. It's been a day of mayhem, near-disaster, and general WTFery, and your headline (or the editor's headline, or whoever) just tipped the balance.

Now, if she is a teeny tiny chef, like maybe two and a half inches tall, I'll take it all back.

Otherwise, either your or your editor might want to check a style guide or a dictionary.

Or maybe a calendar.

KansasPerson 4 years, 2 months ago

WTF is a "chefette?" Do you also call a female pilot an "aviatrix?" What the hell decade/century is this, anyway??

Pissed off.

ralphralph 4 years, 2 months ago

The American is not really downtown in KC, but is at Hall's at Crown Center ... isn't it?

lmb 4 years, 2 months ago

That's the most ridiculous headline I've seen in a long time. Which is quite a feat, considering the LJW's record of asinine headlines. What makes a chef a 'chefette'? Because she's a woman, she doesn't qualify as a 'real' chef?

Roland Gunslinger 4 years, 2 months ago

Cool beans. I've been trying to take the wife to the American Restaurant for a couple years now but everytime we make reservations something else comes up for us and we have to cancel them.

shleppy 4 years, 2 months ago