LJWorld.com weblogs Sharpening My Pen

Tiller Clinic Sold. Guess to Who?

In a move that will surely enrage Operation Rescue, Troy Newman, Cheryl Sullenger and Kansans for Life (it's probably not going to make the guv'nor too happy either), the former clinic of Dr. George Tiller has been sold to a non-profit foundation called Trust Women. The foundation is led by Julie Burkhart, a former employee of Dr. Tiller's. Jeanne Tiller, Dr. Tiller's widow, had retained possession of the property since his murder.
Trust Women has announced that they intend to reopen the clinic as a full service women's clinic. I don't think it takes a wink and a nudge to know what that means.
One hopes this foundation has deep pockets. They will need them for a number of reasons.
1. The bully boy anti-abortion groups in Kansas will try to do what they do best; tie this place up in court over and over again for years and force them to spend thousands of dollars on legal fees.
2. They will need security equal to that of of a Colombian drug lord. In the past, the clinic has been bombed and it's former owner non fatally shot. At one point, Dr. Tiller admitted he never took the same route twice to and from his clinic and, after he was shot in the arms, he began wearing body armor. All it took was one moment of laxness, something he thought he could do in a church, and it killed him.
3. They will have to fulfill, right down to the millimeter, all of Kansas' new TRAP laws; laws that were designed with only one purpose in mind, cost the clinics money and run them out of business.
Operation Rescue has already announced they are reforming the same protest unit to harass women and litter the street in front of the clinic that they had during the former owner's residence.
This entire thing follows closely on the heels of another bit of news that silently slid by most Lawrence residents. Riding high on their successful act of getting the license of Dr. Kristin Neuhaus revoked, on September 18th, Operation Rescue filed ethics complaints against AG Derek Schmidt and Johnson County DA Steve Howe in the wake of the failed criminal charges against Planned Parenthood.

Comments

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

"Trust Women has announced that they intend to reopen the clinic as a full service woman's clinic. I don't think it takes a wink and a nudge to know what that means." - I'm very surprised to hear you say that, Cait. You're inviting people to equate "woman's health clinic" with "abortion". Or am I misreading that?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 3 months ago

A "full service" women's clinic. Whether you wish to admit it or not, reproductive health care for women includes abortion.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree that a woman's full service clinic would include reproductive services including abortions. But your wink and a nudge comment made it seem like this was an abortion clinic, and oh by the way, they will include some other minimal services, but you know what this "really" is, an abortion mill. "wink and a nudge" sounds like support for some hidden agenda.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 3 months ago

I, for one, take offense to your suggestion that a woman would be so stupid as to think cait meant anything other than what she said. A full-service women's clinic means a safe place where women can get assistance taking care of their bodies. Notice I did not say you or anyone else can make those decisions for a woman, in any way, shape or form.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

I understand what a full service woman's clinic is. It's the use of "wink and a nudge", suggestive that it's something other than a full service woman's clinic. Or suggestive that there is a hidden agenda. A poor choice of words, in my opinion. Just say full service woman's clinic, and leave it at that.

Notice I also did not say I or anyone else can or should be making decisions for any woman, in any way, shape or form.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 3 months ago

Good to know. I think, if anyone garners a hidden agenda, it will be the anti-choice crowd. :-)

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

That is what I thought, seriously, "wink and a nudge"? To me it reads as though it is going to be an abortion clinic.

Kate Rogge 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm with you, frankie8. That's exactly what I thought she meant too (wink/nudge=abortion clinic).

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm . . . jhawkinsf may have a point there. If I were to go to a "full service", "wink and a nudge" massage therapist, what would the assumption be? (Not that I would . . . or ever have . . . or even considered . . . or . . )

Kathy Getto 2 years, 3 months ago

Twist and shout, buddy, works everytime.

Fossick 2 years, 3 months ago

Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, Squire.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse.

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

Two Monty Python lines in a row. That was a treat.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 3 months ago

Geez, people, what I said was it does NOT take a wink and a nudge to know what it means to be a full service clinic. But keep trying to make something of the way I worded it and not, you know, actually address the topic of the post. Stay classy.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 3 months ago

Unlike Paul Ryan who REALLY wants to institute death panels and get those people off of Medicare.