LJWorld.com weblogs Sharpening My Pen

Political Double Speak at it's Best

If this wasn't so serious for the women of Texas it would be funny. Unfortunately, it's not.

See, Rick Perry wants to defund Planned Parenthood. The Federal government has told him he can't do that and since 90% of funding for women's healthcare in Texas comes from the Fed, it's put Perry in the position of either shutting up about it or having the state fund it themselves. So, Perry says, "We'll go ahead and fund it ourselves. It'll only be temporary because after the ACA goes live, all of those women will be eligible for expanded medicaid coverage."

There's just one problem with that.

Perry has already said that, since SCOTUS said that states could REJECT expanded Medicaid coverage, Texas will be telling the US Government to take its money (and the strings attached to it) and shove it where the sun don't shine.

So where does that leave approximately 300,000 women in Texas? Up a creek without a paddle, apparently.

Excuse me while I go stuff my brains back in my skull from where my head exploded.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

You know what? I think some people are just mean and say what gets them by in the short term, never mind what's coming down the road. I don't think there is a reason for this, it is reality and we have to accept it.

Katara 2 years ago

No, we don't have to accept it. People can call out those being mean and point out their actions. Present the facts and point out what short-term thinking will do to us.

fiddleback 2 years ago

Use "its" for the possessive. It's = it has or it was.

Cait McKnelly 2 years ago

Yes ma'am/sir. I edited it. Do I get an A now?

Ken Lassman 2 years ago

fiddleback was talking about your title. It should read: "Political Doublespeak at its Best"

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Voter turnout for 2010 in Texas was the highest in 20 years, 2.1 million or 16.5%. So 83.5% chose to stay home and let the cards fall where they may. Maybe if those 300,000 women had paddled up that creek and voted, (I'm sure some did. 16.5%?) the election would have come out differently.

Katara 2 years ago

Perhaps that 83.5% didn't think that the state would screw them over?

But way to blame the victims of Perry's decisions!

Even if all 300,000 of those women voted, the turnout would only have been 18.9% (still a fairly poor voter turnout) and still would not have been enough to hand Perry a defeat even if all 300,000 had voted for Bill White. Perry would still have won by 331,178 votes.

Katara 2 years ago

Oh certainly. Because moving costs absolutely nothing.

Liberty275 2 years ago

Why can't women go to their regular doctor?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

Because poor women can't afford to go to a doctor and they don't have health insurance, which would not be helpful in getting gyn problems taken care of. You would need a referral to a Gyn for that. Planned Parenthood steps in and gives services to these women to fill the health care gap, and they do a whole lot more than provide abortions.

Abortion
Birth Control
Body Image
General Health Care
Men's Sexual Health
Morning-After Pill (Emergency Contraception)
Pregnancy
Relationships
Sex & Sexuality
Sexual Orientation & Gender
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Women's Health