LJWorld.com weblogs Sharpening My Pen

Pigs Are Flying

I looked out my window this morning and saw a pig fly by.

First FOX News fires Glenn Beck, then Bill O'Reilly comes out in defense of Obama. Now, for the first time since Murdoch took it over, the Wall Street Journal has won a Pulitzer Prize. What's next? FOX will finally be allowed to broadcast in Canada?
Seriously, I'd like to know what's up with Murdoch. Has the man developed a conscience and ethics in his old age? Or has he finally become old enough that someone else is making his decisions for him? (He is 80 years old, after all.)
No matter what the reason, I think it's signaling the close of an era in this country; the end of "hate TV" and pseudo "news". I also sincerely hope it signals something else; the growth of a citizenry with a collective conscience and a group brain. Hey, I can hope for it, can't I?

Comments

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

It's a little frosty in Hades too.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

For every rant against right wing media (FOX), there is an equally valid rant against left wing media (MSMBC). For every O'Reilly, there's a Rachel Maddow. Neither is news. Both are entertainment disguised as news/commentary. Speaking for myself, both can be very funny.

scott3460 3 years, 5 months ago

O'Reilly was an accessory to murder. Has Maddow ever cheered for the murder of a law abiding citizen?

How many left of center Presidential candidates does MSNBC give free air time to? As I recall there are several at Faux "News." MSNBC terminated Keith Olbermann when he donated money to candidates.

Has MSNBC been guilty of taking daily talking points from the current White House? Faux "News" was quite willing to take its agenda from the george bush White House.

Which network doctored pictures of political opponents? Which network doctored crowd shots to create inaccurate perceptions?

Which network's news commentators have labeled a sitting President a "racist?" Which claimed Osama bin Laden was rooting for John Kerry

Which network's anchor stated this regarding the george bush Presidential selection process: ""Is this a case where knowing the facts actually would be worse than not knowing? I mean, should we burn these ballots, preserve them in amber, or shred them?"

It is by no means so that there are equally valid complaints against either side.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

So I take it you disagree with me. O.K.
But just your first statement is so far off base that it taints all the rest. You say O'Reilly "was an accessory to murder". Was he convicted of that crime? Was he charged with that crime? Do people in your opinion enjoy a presumption of innocence? I don't even know who's murder you're referring to but if Mr. O'Reilly was involved in a murder, I think I might have heard of it. By the way, are you guilty of slander for making that remark? May I presume you guilty? You are certainly entitled to your unfounded opinion, as you are entitled to your unfounded rant. But through my eyes, I see them (FOX & MSMBC) as the same.

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

If you are so leveled headed, why do you have "insf" in your gamertag if you aren't in frisco (they hate it when you call it that)? If it turns out you are in frisco, why aren't you being looney? I expect nothing but lunacy from frisco (and berkley)

I genuinely confused.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 4 months ago

I've spent time in several places. Some were so far left (like S.F.), no centrist could be elected. Some were so far right, no centrist could get elected. Both resembled failed states while always blaming the other. Lawrence, with it's far left lean balanced by the state with it's far right lean is a balance I can live with.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Were any of those pigs wearing lipstick?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

No Roe. I think your crush on Sarah Palin is safe.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Dang cait! And I was just sorta kinda maybe a little bit but not sure almost undecided for sure okay somewhat starting to like you. oh well, there's always tomorrow . . .

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Aw Roe! Just makin' a joke! I sorta, kinda, maybe just a little bit, okay somewhat undecided but thinkin' about it like you too!

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

Sarah Palin wearing black lipstick would be so hot. Of course, red works too.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Oh yeah! I read about that this morning too! What is this world coming to? Is the devil covered in ice yet?

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Janet Napolitano, The Attorney General Of the USA (aka The Home of the Free failed to convince me it was really OK to "pat down" little lids if you have a badge.

I wonder how tolerant our liberal friends are of TSA agents touching children as long as the TSA agent has a badge.

Reta Cosby 3 years, 4 months ago

So, swine flew. Get a shot and a life.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Now see Ith, if you had stopped at "Get a shot" you would have been witty and made a point, but adding the ad hominem attack, "and a life." ruined it all. Tsktsktsk. We really need to start teaching this younger generation not raised on Usenet flame wars how to do things. You just had the opportunity for a truly elegant flame slip right through your fingers. Learn when "less is morrr"!

Reta Cosby 3 years, 4 months ago

So, swine flew. Get a shot and a life.