LJWorld.com weblogs Sharpening My Pen

The Rise of the New "Nazism".

Facebook says, "What's on your mind?'
.Indeed, this is on my mind and it's worrisome. Not because I "want to see the Dems win (or lose)" or I "want to see the Republicans win (or lose)". This worries me because these people are outright crackpots that want to see our Constitution destroyed and used for toilet paper.
I keep being reassured by reasonable people that these people are harmless; that there is no way they can come to power. They reassure me that they are a minority BUT let me point a few things out.
Prior to the 1932 elections the Nazi party was a small, "third party" that was little regarded. Certainly, no one saw in them the fall of the Weimar Republic. However, because of severe economic depression and the disillusionment of the people with the standard German government (sound familiar?) the Nazi party managed to capture the majority of the parliament of the Weimar Republic in 1932. Their very first act was to DO AWAY WITH THE REPUBLIC. By 1934 Nazi Germany was a dictatorship.
The Tea Party has selected their spokesperson and it's a woman; Sarah Palin. She, as Hitler did, has left standard rank and file politics. Just as Hitler did she failed at standard politics. And, just as Hitler did, she is creating her power base outside of standard politics giving constant and relentless speeches and endorsing and funding her chosen candidates.
Very chillingly they have already selected their "Jew"; the illegal Mexican immigrant. People have said, "But they are here ILLEGALLY. Why should they be protected?" The problem is that LEGAL American citizens of Hispanic heritage are also being targeted. They are people that were born as "anchor babies" here in the US, children of illegal immigrants. In AZ legal American citizens are being harassed by law enforcement simply because they LOOK Hispanic.
There are a tremendous number of parallels between the rise of Nazism, as a political philosophy, and the rise of the Tea Party. And history shows that it will end badly. However what really scares me is that this isn't some European country. This is AMERICA we're talking about; my country...MY country.
Even Georges Santyana's famous quote, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it .", is no longer relevant. The Texas Board of Education made a mockery of that statement. If you don't like history, just change it.
It's up to us to remember it. If we don't, our country is undoubtedly in the cross hairs. And these people hold the gun.

Comments

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 3 months ago

I fully expected this to come from people with no intelligence, knowledge or interest in history. You need to actually read the definition of a Godwin. I made a valid historical comparison. You made the epic fail. In fact in terms of intent, if anybody made the Godwin. YOU did.

TreeBot 4 years, 3 months ago

Your comparisons: Palin is like a Nazi because she, A) "has left standard rank and file politics. Just as Hitler did " B) "Just as Hitler did she failed at standard politics." (really? she was a governor and VP candidate. I'd say that she has enjoyed more success than most politicians can hope for, but anyway...) C) "just as Hitler did, she is creating her power base outside of standard politics giving constant and relentless speeches and endorsing and funding her chosen candidates." D) And then supposedly Palin is to Mexicans what Hitler was to Jews. Can you point me to speeches given or books written by Palin in which Mexicans are declared racially incompatible with the people of the United States? Or where she contends that the very biological nature of the Mexican causes him to be destructive to our society? No? Fail.

What you obviously have a problem with is that these new forces are "outside of standard politics". Get used to it. Just because their was an element of populism in the National Socialist Party does not mean than any whiff of populism here and now supports comparisons to Nazis. It makes them more American, not more like Nazis. Your post is a classic Godwin's Law fail.

Majestic42 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm with ya, treebot. Incongruous analogy FTL.

Liberty275 4 years, 3 months ago

No, you failed. Your comparison was stupid.

mbulicz 4 years, 3 months ago

Insulting your readers is a surefire way to connect with your audience!

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 3 months ago

cait says: "I made a valid historical comparison." Yeti says: Um....not so much. Point #1- It's my understanding that the Tea Party folks have kind of hitched their wagons to a "Constitution loyal" philosophy, so I'm a little confused as to how you can claim they are out to use the Constitution for "toilet paper." Point#2- You assert that Sarah Palin at the fresh age (politically speaking) of 46 has failed at standard politics. I find this an odd claim as she was the governor of Alaska, a Vice Presidential candidate, and a serious threat to win her party's nomination for president before her fiftieth birthday. This doesn't strike me as the resume of a "failure". Point#3- Implying that because people don't like illegal immigrants in their country that they may wish to commit genocide is just a tiny bit ridiculous. Point#4- If I looked hard enough, I could find a "tremendous" number of parallels to the rise of the Nazi party and any society on the planet. Its kind of like the Political and Societal Kevin Bacon game.

Majestic42 4 years, 3 months ago

Political and Societal Kevin Bacon game. Best thing said on the LJWorld boards EVER.

cliff39843 4 years, 3 months ago

We have a country where it is illegal for an employer to hire an illegal resident, BUT, the illegal resident gets free housing, food, education medical etc. We welcome the illegal resident, but punish the legal ones. Then we call Sarah Palin a Nazi because she thinks illegal residents should not be here and legal immigrants should be here? What is this? ANYBODY who disagrees with the "intellectuals" is a racist, a Nazi, uneducated, an evil conspirator. I think Obama is a living disaster for our country, I travel overseas and see how other people live and therefore, go forth you raging "intellectuals" who have nothing better to call me than "racist", "Nazi", Uneducated, evil. I will repeat my comment, Obama is a disaster for our country and for the world! I hope this burns and if it burns into your mind enough, maybe you will come up with something new to call me. But please leave "racist" out of it (I live in Africa) and "Nazi" (I think legal immigrants should stay) out of your insults.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Free housing, food, education, medical, etc...! What lucky folks. Maybe if I tried to live off the grid, working for pennies that aren't even available in other countries, always concerned about when the hook will come to haul me away. Oh, to have it so free and easy! Sounds wonderful.

I'm just curious, how does one go about getting this free food and housing? Please explain.

Also, racists don't live in Africa? I see. I had no idea. Guess I must have dreamt that whole South African Apartheid thing.

Sorry, while I have no reason to suspect such a thing of you, I don't see how living in Africa can be a defense.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Tinfoil hats are now 3/$5.99 But wait! There's more!! With every purchase I will include a picture of Sarah Palin!

She's still pretty HOT!!

pffttt!!

independant1 4 years, 3 months ago

Pretty much a normal person that Palin gal.

I just don't get all the vitriol and hate coming from the left when Sarah Palin is the topic of discussion.

Jimo 4 years, 3 months ago

"There are a tremendous number of parallels between the rise of Nazism, as a political philosophy, and the rise of the Tea Party."

Hardly. While TPers increasingly reveal themselves to be ignorant hypocrites, that's a long way from Nazis. LOL

Interestingly, I was stuck at the airport last week and was soaking up some time in the bookshop and was looking at "The Defining Moment" Jonathan Adler's history of FDR first days in office. Adler recounts how many people in 1933 expected FDR to declare himself a dictator (the precise word on people's lips at the time and without some of the negative baggage soon to be attached to the term).

As Adler notes, the very weekend of Roosevelt's swearing in the NYSE suspended trading indefinitely, all the banks in the largest states had been closed by order of their respective state governors, unemployment in some locales such as Toledo, Ohio, reached 80 percent, and the outgoing Republican President, despite a life-time leaping from one success to another, was on his way home having completely failed to improve - or even understand - the economy's inability to self-correct.

Having survived all that, and much more in subsequent years, until Lord Keynes finally arrived at his explanation of and proscription for this capitalist failure - now termed 'Keynesianism' - and it's eventual adoption, first timidly then in full force to finally rescue the economy, I suspect that if democratic government can survive those pressures it can surely survive a moose-hunter from Alaska.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

A Godwin flag the size of a football field is indicated.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

The current regime depends on useful (insert vulgar term)s like cait48 to get their talking points spread around. http://biggovernment.com/sright/2010/09/17/dem-congresswomans-supporters-participate-in-palin-as-hitler-rally/ Shout Astro-turf!

booyalab 4 years, 3 months ago

"There are a tremendous number of parallels between the rise of Nazism, as a political philosophy, and the rise of the Tea Party. And history shows that it will end badly."

Like what? No wait, let me guess. 1. In Nazism (sic), people believe stuff. In the Tea Party, people believe stuff 2. Both are spelled with an "a" 3. They are meanies. 4. They are not cool.

Majestic42 4 years, 3 months ago

Bahaahaha! But seriously folks, you hit the nail on the head with Point 1, whether you meant to or not. The real thing liberals fear is people who actually believe in something, which the Tea Partiers do. People who really have something to stand for (besides their own wealth and comfort) are scary to those who are living to look out for number one.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

cait, probably best to remember that only the Nazis get to be called Nazis. Let us not trivialize the murder of 6 million Jews by calling or comparing any other group to Nazis, unless a genocide is actually part of their plan. Sarah Palin might not be the brightest star in the galaxy, but she is no Nazi.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 3 months ago

Raise your Godwin flags like it's a spaghetti restaurant, guys. Take a chill pill and go read some history. And be careful WHAT history you read. The world is full of "Texas Board of Ed textbooks" and holocaust deniers.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Yup . . . I think cait is on sumpin too . . .

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Which of Alinsky's rules will you be acting out next, cait?

BrianR 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, a Godwin applies only to online discussions, not content; the definition begins, "As an online discussion grows longer..."

Why is that so hard for people to understand?

hwarangdo 4 years, 3 months ago

Okay folks, let's go back to the history ... read Howard Zinn's "People's History of the United States" ... yes, read all of it, every page, every word. You'll see there's nothing new under the sun in the good ole US of A. The difference is we are not witnessing history being made. Likewise, WE are the ones who can do - or not do - anything about what happens from this point on.

Nazism at its heart (well, it really doesn't have one, but let's pretend) supports the premise that only the "supreme race" should exist. Period. If one isn't a member of the supreme race, one isn't fit to live. Period. Believe as we do or else. Period. Fight, murder, scream, kill - these are the weapons of the "Nazi's". Oh, but first comes the cool, persuasive propaganda ... the "holier than thou" screaming, the "our religion your religion" screaming, the "our beliefs your beliefs" screaming ... and it goes on and on until everyone has a Sarah Palin blow-up sex doll in their bedroom. Did someone say re-use tea-bags?

So it isn't as funny? Perhaps not. Yet the alternative is absolute destruction of the empire of the "united" states. Shall we write the history books yet? Shall we say a few loud-mouth idiots took over and held hostage the entire nation with their idiotic rhetoric? Shall we say the Constitution was trashed because they couldn't stop thumping their bibles long enough to practice what is in it? Shall we say how the masses were mesmerized and controlled by the subtle mind-altering propaganda broadcast continuously on tv and in the streets? Shall we say how one small group propagated themselves into a monster movement to conquer everyone and everything? Oops, am I talking Nazism here? Or is the the Taliban? One and the same kind of belief system. Think about it long enough and you'll see the similarities.

Hial Bag Hial Bag Hail Bag!!!

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 3 months ago

You are seriously citing Zinn? I thought people only cited him ironically. Wow.

hwarangdo 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, am citing Zinn - evidently more people need to read him because they're not paying attention. It bears repeating. It bears repeating.

devobrun 4 years, 3 months ago

I happen to think that Cal Thomas is often incorrect and always overwrought. This blog rivals Cal for being overwrought. Wringing of hands, sky is falling, shredding the constitution, oh boy. My prescription for all of you is Valium. The tea-party will go the way of Ross Perot and his group. However, in the mean time, maybe the country will return to a government of laws and not personalities (whether they are Obama or Palin).

So, cait, if the U.S. is to be defined by laws....and those laws are to be enforced within boundaries......and they are enforced uniformly, then how do we not define the people within those boundaries?

Are they citizens simply by entering the boundaries? Are they allowed in without any restriction? Should we know who they are? Can we deport them under any circumstances?

These questions beg an answer. If all people are welcome into the U.S. without restriction, then we are in for some seriously chaotic times. No identification, no information about them at all. They might be people who want to kill the Pope. They might want to overthrow our form of government entirely.

Or if we have laws against undocumented immigration, then the laws might be used to do the atrocities to which you refer. I think that the first amendment of the constitution will allow you to proclaim any atrocities loudly and without sanction. The public will not let Nazis take over the government.......relax.

I'll take my chances with the latter. Form a more perfect union and keep working towards freedom for all. Freedom in Mexico would be good. Right now, I challenge all who read this to stop taking drugs. Stop supporting Mexican drug lords. Help Mexico to become a lawful country. This is more important than illegal Mexicans in the U.S. or the threat of Tea-Party violence against them. Pales in comparison to the Zetas.

camper 4 years, 3 months ago

About a decade or so ago, I read a book called The Black Obelisk by Erich Remarque. The setting was 1930's Germany. Some of the scenes described the discontentment and rise of the brownshirt party which would become the Nazi's. I was struck because I understood that things as terrible as this can be repeated if conditions permit, and there is an element of this hatred within us and/or our society. I pray that it is kept in check forever, but I can see that some of our tendencies are not so admirable.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

The most important thing here is that cait has printed "willing to indulge paranoid fantasies" on his/her/its forehead. Have fun storming the castle.

overthemoon 4 years, 3 months ago

Paranoid fantasies are all the rage these days. Just listen to Limbaugh or watch Beck. They are deranged by fear or profits or both.

jaywalker 4 years, 3 months ago

That might just be the worst blog I've read on this site, this year. Hard to recall them all, but pee U!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

cait, what are your thoughts on reptoids? You will simply make my day if you also believe in reptoids.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, if Palin has anything to say about it, I'll bet the new Nazi uniforms will be made out of black, white or red leather. Like Eddie Murphy in the '80s, she seems to wear a lot of dyed leather.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 3 months ago

I have to think about cait's assertions,but I'm all for red leather.

overthemoon 4 years, 3 months ago

Cait, I think you error in making the connection to Nazi Germany. While there are some parallels that may apply, what's really going on is a political shift to the broader definition of fascism, not necessarily Nazism.

This is a very interesting article from last summer that outline the basic premises and development of fascist systems. I find the parallels shocking.

tunahelper 4 years, 3 months ago

nancy peloser and you cait48 have more in common with the nazis than Sarah Palin. The leftist libtards will do and say anything to defend omaba and his chicago cronies. I can't wait for November 2 when the moronic democrats will be defeated.

gccs14r 4 years, 3 months ago

You misspelled Mexico. I could totally see that happening "for the good of the Americas" if Palin et al. end up in charge.

Boosh 4 years, 3 months ago

Uhh...Last time I checked Mexico was a part of the North American continenmt thus making them...gasp...Americans...and double gasp...North Americans ta boot.

Boosh 4 years, 3 months ago

uhh continent...continent...dang incontinent fingers:0

Boosh 4 years, 3 months ago

Neither, as I work with a person who calls New Mexico Mexico and Mexico Old Mexico and wondered why when I pointed out the above to them "do they call us North Americans then" so I just was pointing out the fact as some others may hold the same misconception :)

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

"typifies the left"? How exactly? It is one person. I guess stupid thing Tom Shewmon or Lawrenceguy40 writes represents the right then, correct? Calling others Hitler because they called Palin Hitler -- yes, that is much better.

hwarangdo 4 years, 3 months ago

If you wish to compare one mosque in the population of many, then I can say every tea-bagger is a nazi. Fair enough? We won't mention dabbling in witchcraft though ... your Islam-phobia is showing. Same mentality that started the "war" invasion of Iraq - WMD? No. Terrorists there? maybe? $$$$$ to be made? Yes ... All hail haliburton.

Mike Ford 4 years, 3 months ago

Today, my father is going to speak in Emporia about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. My father is a Bonhoeffer scholar having been to conferences in Berlin, Amsterdam, Philadelphia, Rome, and Prague, since 1988. Bonhoeffer was a theologean who rose up against Hitler while the rest of the religious establishment kissed Hitler's behind and sanctified fascism and genocide. Bonhoeffer infiltrated the Nazis and became a double agent until he was exposed as a plot to kill Hitler was foiled. Bonhoeffer and four of his relatives were hung with piano wire in 1944. Bonhoeffer concluded the only way to deal with evil after much debate and conscious thinking was to kill Hitler.

My father attended the Berlin Conference in 2000 and a paper was put forth imperialism. This was as Dubya entered office.What has occurred since was moral imperialism. This is happening now. Agree with us or we'll discredit you. Agree with us or we'll call you a liberal even though we're not smart enough to know what that or socialist means. We're' just smart enough to use these words as slurs. It's amazing how much dumb is being championed right now. It's like a parallel universe... oh that's right... the Palin universe... the one where failed governor attacks aboriginal Alaskan hunting rights while her Inupiat Alaska Native grandson gets BIA care while his mom dances and his dad poses for playgirl and disses the family. For the dumblicans her husband todd is part Alaska Native. Her, the tealicans, the godlicans, the dumblicans they're full of so much contradiction they don't know up from down. Forget reality, the clowns want to win is spite of reality. oh well. Forget the whole jokerface nazi thing directed at a sitting president.... I see the real thing at these meetings with no clue being manipulated by retreads like ARMEY. Follow the piper and then say I was only following orders....

hwarangdo 4 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for these words. It is so true that those who oppose tyrants and their movements are silenced. Sad. Some only hear the piper.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

GW Bush said the constitution was nothing but a "god damned piece of paper".

GW Bush also said his job would have been much easier if he was a dictator.

The S&L scandal is by no means the only incident of questionable, and actually illegal, financial activity that the Bush family has been involved in. The line of questionable, illegal, and unethical businesses practices goes back at least to Prescott Bush Sr., George Bush Sr.’s father. Prescott Bush was a Senator from 1952 – 1963.

Previous to his time as a Senator Prescott was a banker and businessman. Prior to the American entry into WWII Prescott Bush was director of Union Banking Corporation. Union Banking Corporation helped to finance Hitler’s regime. The Concentration Camps of Nazi Germany were labor camps that the Nazis used to make products for their regime as well as for sale to raise money. Prescott profited directly from the Auschwitz labor camp.

In 1942, after Hitler declared war on America the United States government seized the Union Banking Corporation under the Trading with the Enemy Act as a front operation that was supporting the Nazis. Much of the profits from the operation were already pocketed by Prescott however, and $1.5 million was put in a trust fund for George Bush Sr.

For more on Prescott Bush's ties to the Nazis see:

Think twice before electing any republicans to office. The repubs of the past 30 years are a great deal different than previous republicans.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Meet the republican shadow government!

This appears to be Republican foreign policy which openly advocates for total global military domination and one that must be squashed.

The Project for the New American Century (PNAC) is a neo-conservative think tank with strong ties to the American Enterprise Institute. PNAC's web site says it was “established in the spring of 1997” as “a non-profit, educational organization whose goal is to promote American global leadership.”

PNAC's policy document, “Rebuilding America's Defences,” openly advocates for total global military domination by way of OUR USA military.

Many PNAC members held highest-level positions in the George W. Bush administration.

PNAC members in prominent government positions:

Dick Cheney Vice President

Donald Rumsfeld Former Secretary of Defense

Douglas J. Feith (former) Undersecretary of Defense

I. Lewis Libby Vice President Cheney’s former Chief of Staff and Assistant to the Vice President for National Security Affairs.

Aaron Friedberg Vice President Cheney’s deputy National Security advisor

Robert Zoelick US Deputy Secretary of State

Paula Dobriansky Undersecretary of State

Elliott Abrams Deputy National Security Adviser

Frank Gaffney Pentagon's Defense Policy Board

Fred C. Ikle Pentagon's Defense Policy Board

Eliot A. Cohen Pentagon's Defense Policy Board

Henry S. Rowen Pentagon's Defense Policy Board

William J. Bennett Presidential speech writer

Jeb Bush Former Governor of Florida

Paul Wolfowitz World Bank President

John Bolton Ambassador to the U.N.

Zalmay Khalilzad U.S. ambassador to Iraq

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

merrill, this thread was about Palin. Not that that matters to you when you're in a copy/paste frenzy.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Put down the stones snap pop and paste. You are sure to damage your glass house.

camper 4 years, 3 months ago

I think this is an interesting blog. My belief is that there are parllels worth noting, but right now, just parallels....nothing more.

One thing dawned on me early this morning to put things in context.....If you were to look at Japan and Germany today one might say "well now those are two fairly progressisve and Democratic countries".....and then think that it was only 70 years ago that these two societies were swayed by political demagoguery to commit perhaps the worst attrocities against humanity this world has ever seen.

To me, this is why it is important to never forget what happened and be vigilant in preventing it from happening again.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Palin if elected to president would be the puppet for the PNAC Nazi team among them the Bush family.

The new republican party is quite different and obsessed with the war machine. The repub war machine is not about peaceful coexisting it is about economic control of the world which is not necessarily acceptable foreign policy.

Palin/Beck is the party distraction with Newt Gingrich/Jeb Bush awaiting the right moment to step in.

Yes their is a lot of focus on Palin/Beck an the Tea party. What is the Tea Party? Just another arm of the repub party that which allows increased special interest spending. The National Rifle Association became such an arm under the bogus perception that democrats were going to take the right to own guns away in spite of the fact there has never been any hard evidence to back up such a notion. Now the NRA has become a right wing political action committee as a means for more right thinking special interest money.

The Bush family and their Nazi ways are a legitimate concern as they are a huge influence on the party politics as are the members of the repub shadow government. Let's not pretend.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 3 months ago

Lolz at old people. Too wet for mowing today?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

I totally forgot about the re-education camp song. I'll have to start posting it again. Just a couple of weeks ago Kathy (insert vulgar adverb) Sebelius was talking about the current regime needs to reeducation the folks who've not signed up for a cruise on the Obamatanic yet.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

dude, how long did it take you to find all those posts? I can has stalker? Can you tell me what I posted on March 7, 2008? There's a difference between light-hearted hyperbole and wild-eyed raving. My posts tend toward the former and cait48 toward the latter. Your time would have been better spent making pancakes. Have fun storming the castle.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

23 seconds. Too easy

"snap_pop_no_crackle (anonymous) says…

The flying monkeys. March 7, 2008 at 7:14 a.m."

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Light hearted? Going on a non-stop string of two years of whining and general sore loser behavior is more than just light-hearted jesting. It is borish and anti-American the vast majority of the time. Light hearted, however, it isn't.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Hi-diddly-dee-dee, re-education camp for me. Oh, I'll give up my evil ways.And I will sing the O'dude's praise. And I'll be out in 90 days. Hi-diddly-dee-dee,re-education camp for me.

Tricky Gnosis 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh good God. This is weapons grade stupid.

There is nothing racist or Nazi in pointing out that we have unsustainable levels of debt, an ever expanding central government, pensions that can not be paid, a ruling class that does not care about the wishes of the governed, or that our immigration system is broken. Being concerned about illegal immigration does not equal not wanting legal immigration.

booyalab 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh, you just know nothing about history. (That's all I have to say, my massive amount of supporting historical documentation is implied.)

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

The Obama Rule -- now that is funny, and highly accurate.

Lets not forget, when calling someone on the Obama Rule they will almost certainly bring up criticism of Bush during his time in office as their justification. Offenders of the Obama Rule believe two wrongs make a right.

Great post Agno.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

It isn't that Obama shouldn't be discussed. He is a public figure, so of course he should. Rather, the Obama Rule notes that grossly false claims (Muslim, Socialist, etc.) about Obama become just about guaranteed in any online discussion about him.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

It isn't just slinging mud, it is about spreading lies (Muslim, not born in the country, Socialist...).

What false statements always come up about Palin, Beck or Limbaugh? (I would just like to add that it is Interesting that you would mention all entertainment figures rather than actual politicians. Palin USE to be in politics, but she quit her political job to be another talking head.) So what is said about your three-headed monster that isn't true? Palin really isn't all that bright (has to write on her hand basic ideas), Beck really was an alcoholic who exaggerates, wraps his words in Christian ideology and preaches hyperbole, and Rush really is addicted to drugs and speaks nonsense that the Right must often step away from. So what false things always come up about them?

Obama, however, isn't a Socialist, nor does he "spread the wealth" as you claim. That is a simple falacy.

Paying for prescription drugs for the elderly could also be called a tenet of Socialism, so does this mean Bush was a Socialist too?

I'm not saying that people shouldn't question Obama's policies, just that his being a Socialist is a lie and it comes up again and again, even when discussing other issues. It is part of the Obama Rule.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Yep, you were just sayin'... and that don't make it so. Your Socialist comments are nonsense, and they prove the Obama Rule.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Small steps? Even if he is re-elected, based on what he has done thus far there isn't anywhere near enough time to put enough supposed small steps together to make us a Socialist nation.

Further, you are basing everything on two out of context statements. "Spreading the wealth" can be taken as a simple recognition that the poorest of the poor need help. Kind of like giving a massive break on prescription drugs through Medicaid, as Bush did. Would you call Bush a Socialist? Helping the poorest among us isn't Socialism. Likewise, getting people to speak in a civil manner would fundamentally change America, but it has nothing to do with Socialism. Electing someone of color is a fundamental change to America that has nothing to do with Socialism. Many things can fundamentally change our country and they have nothing to do with Socialism.

I know the Right has a lot invested in this whole Socialist theory, but it simply isn't true, and your argument is beyond weak.

tbaker 4 years, 3 months ago

Cait48: Comparing Sarah Palin to Hitler....nuff said. Nothing to see here. Move along.

hwarangdo 4 years, 3 months ago

Sarah Palin a Nazi? hmmm, perhaps not in the way some would say. However, unless you live in a bubble and aren't aware of the right-wing fascist mentalilty movement (RWFMM) (I just made that up) - there IS a large growing number of said culprits manipulating the media ... which in turn is being gobbled up by average elephants and others who like to blame everything on Obama and the dems. Enough said, this is all old news.

Paranoid? No. Realistic? Yes. Just spend a day browsing militant and fanatic right-wing websites. Those who shout the loudest will drown out those who just sit quietly assuming all will be well in the land of bread and roses.

Yet I forget myself. In case the anti-world anti-Obama anti-dems anti-liberals anti-human rights anti-peace anti-gays anti-abortions anti-Muslims anti-Jews anti-PTA anti-organic food anti-everything and anything still believe that "cleaning up Washington" will solve the nation's problems - keep this in mind: it is not elected officials who "run" the country! Didn't you know? My oh my. So listen up.

All of the banks in the world are basically run by a few individuals who don't even live in the US. Boards if directors have meetings in Switzerland to decide the future of the banking industry - and they answer to NO ONE. Secondly, the gov't industrial-military complex - the war machine - is run by a few individuals who answer to NO ONE. They control the WORLD economy which of course affects the US economy. YOU can't touch them. None of us can.

That being said, we know you'll keep believing what you want to believe, even though the people who run the world are beyond any political or individual state/country agenda. If it makes you feel better, by all means keep brewing tea.

I would quote Zinn but to some that would seem reduntant and I'm sure Zinn himself would wonder why, if people had read his books, that they still have their heads up their bums. There are vital lessons Zinn brought up but we fail to learn them; hence the encouragement to re-read.

My "vote" will go to Roadrunner ... because at least the little critter knows danger when he sees it. Meep Meep

SpeedRacer 4 years, 3 months ago

It is quite a push to compare what is happening today to the rise of Nazism. However, I do believe that any loss of liberty will come by the will (or apathy) of the people. The closest we have come to chucking the Bill of Rights was under the Bush/Cheney/Ashcroft triumvirate. Gratefully, there were still people in control of their senses after 9/11 to challenge them.

“The tax which will be paid for the purpose of education is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance” - Thomas Jefferson

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Good thing it is a "New" Nazi-ism, because the old one really sucked.

George Lippencott 4 years, 3 months ago

cait48

Help me. Exactly what is there in the platform of the "Tea Party" that compares to Hitler's Germany? I thought they (if there is a they) stood for smaller less intrusive government - hardly a Third Reich? Is the Tea Party for mistreatment of minorities (I might suggest that challenge is pretty broad) or for the rule of law (something discarded in Hitler's world)? Interesting if very inappropriate parallel!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

likening Sarah Palin to Hitler?
whoa, Cait, stop putting PCP on your Wheaties man!
second, note Hitler pushed for universal healthcare, and other far left agenda items. his party, the Z in NAZI refers to socialism. it is actually easier to draw paralels between Adolph Hitler and Barack Hussein Obama.
that is, if we're doing our stretches!

outside normal politics, outside the normal base. who is it that is ignorant of history? ever heard of american Populists? or, William Jennings ... oh never mind.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

"it is actually easier to draw paralels between Adolph Hitler and Barack Hussein Obama."

Yes bearded, when we think Hitler, I'm sure we all think ... healthcare.

Your statements are as ridiculous as is this blog.

whats_going_on 4 years, 3 months ago

you realize that you are denouncing comparing her to Hitler, and then in the next sentence comparing someone else to him, yes?

just wondering.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

In other news, it appears that Mao has displaced Stalin in the sweepstakes to see which Communist leader killed the most of his own countrymen.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

I (heart) ag when he/she/it gets all harsh and stuff.

whats_going_on 4 years, 3 months ago

I invite all of you Hitler conspiracy theorists to watch the segment of the Daily Show where Stewart announces his Rally to Restore Sanity. He has a nice little bit about all this absolute garbage. Chill out, people.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't think a single comment on this post has addressed it with any understanding. It's as if people saw the word "Nazi" and fireworks exploded in their brain blinding them to anything else. This post addresses the National Socialist Party prior to 1934 and compares it to the Tea Party of today. This is: 5 years before Kristallnacht 2 years before the Night of the Long Knives (not to say that the Tea Party can't/won't purge their own party but it hasn't happened to date.) 5 years before the invasion of Poland 9 years before the opening of Chelmno, the first Jewish death camp which opened, not in Germany, but in Poland. 1 year before the Nazi Party Day in Nuremberg (although the Glen Beck soiree in DC comes mighty close to comparison). 2 years before the Brown Shirts began being used by the National Socialist Party to create "street cred".

None, absolutely NONE of the comparisons I made to the Tea Party of today have any relevance to the events above. However, I said the word "Nazi" and people began running around screaming with their hands in the air and yelling at Martha to hide the kids from the crazy lady. Those comparisons I made in the post are REAL. And they must be made if for no other reason than to point out that this crackpot party is going down the same road. They're years from hitting any of the milestones listed above, if they ever do and I am not saying they will. In fact I really doubt they will. Despite the mass displays of total ignorance displayed by this board I trust there are enough intelligent people out there to protect us from ourselves and keep it from happening.

booyalab 4 years, 3 months ago

People go up in arms about Nazi comparisons because they were real people that committed real atrocities. You seem to think that you should be able to make the comparison on points that are true among almost every political group ever to achieve your desired reaction of unstated wonder at whether the tea party may, if left unchecked, someday compare with the Nazis on the other, less innocuous points, without pissing anyone off by the sheer intellectual and moral irresponsibility in doing so.

Mike Ford 4 years, 3 months ago

parallels between 1934 and now.... as my father said in his Bonhoeffer speech yesterday.. certain countries go through economic upheaval.. don't want to admit why.... find scapegoats whether they're illegal immigrants here or Roma in France or Jews in 1934, solve nothing blame them and elect intellectually deficient candidates... Hitler or Palin potentially... see the comparison now dumblicans?

camper 4 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, whatever was in the blood of many Germans in those terrible times is still gonna be found in our DNA today. And it might also be found in something intangible that we all still have and will always have. Something called Fear.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Comparison of events

The following chart compares the amazing coincidences in the deaths of Lincoln and Kennedy.

Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846 Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946

Lincoln was elected President in 1860 Kennedy was elected President in 1960

Lincoln's wife lost a child while living in the White House Kennedy's wife lost a child while living in the White House

Lincoln was directly concerned with Civil Rights Kennedy was directly concerned with Civil Rights

Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy who told him not to go to the theater Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln who told him not to go to Dallas

Lincoln was shot in the back of the head in the presence of his wife Kennedy was shot in the back of the head in the presence of his wife

Lincoln was shot in the Ford Theatre Kennedy was shot in a Lincoln, made by Ford

Lincoln was shot on a Friday Kennedy was shot on a Friday

The assassin, John Wilkes Booth, was known by three names, comprised of fifteen letters The assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, was known by three names, comprised of fifteen letters

Booth shot Lincoln in a theater and fled to a warehouse *3 Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and fled to a theater

Booth was killed before being brought to trial Oswald was killed before being brought to trial

There were theories that Booth was part of a greater conspiracy There were theories that Oswald was part of a greater conspiracy

Lincoln's successor was Andrew Johnson, born in 1808 Kennedy's successor was Lyndon Johnson, born in 1908

Due to the amazing similarities in these two events I have determined Boothe and Oswald to be Nazis. Or Communists. At the very least they gots to be cuzins. but i caint talk boutit.

Majestic42 4 years, 3 months ago

Was wondering where you were going with that. +1 Internets.

jhfickel 4 years, 3 months ago

You are so right. We have become blind in so many ways. The RIGHT has so much hate. Their JESUS would be so ashamed. SFC U.S. Army Retired.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 3 months ago

One of the only reasons I like Sarah Palin is because she's not a Washington Insider.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Funny, I like that Sarah Palin isn't a Washington insider as well.

missunderestimate 4 years, 3 months ago

Vote for Bristol and help her Take Back America.

I'll make sure she gives a dance to Snap.