LJWorld.com weblogs Breakfast

Where is a good Breakfast place?

I'm hungry for some good eatin'

Comments

Linda Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

I hear the Linwood Cafe is now closed. But you are right about the smoke. It was awful!We will try Kelly's now! Thanks for the recommendation!

Jerry Elliott 6 years, 3 months ago

milton's ; wheatfields; the egg place onsouth iowa (first place??)--are all good

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 3 months ago

Salthawk must be thinking "First Watch," aka "The Egg and I."I'd tell you my favorite places, but then, you know, they'd get crowded, and they wouldn't be my favorites anymore...

hawklet21 6 years, 3 months ago

Don't EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER try the vegetarian biscuits and gravy at Milton's. They are so disgusting. My biscuits and gravy are another story...

blindrabbit 6 years, 3 months ago

Let's face it, Lawrence really needs a real cafe! Granted, previously mentioned are OK, but have no "class". The following have real cafe's: Baldwin, Eudora, Tongy, Topeka!! Can you imagine a diner, serving afterhours!! All other college towns I'm familiar with have em!If I was younger and more crazy than I am, I give it a go!

George_Braziller 6 years, 3 months ago

Kelly's at 19th and Haskell. Huge portions, reasonably priced, and really tasty. There are a lot a regulars who eat there. But, if you're expecting eggs benedict or an asparagus omlette forget it.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 3 months ago

The best vegetarian or meat biscuits and gravy in Lawrence is at Amee's coffeehouse, except my biscuits and gravy of course, but I don't feed the public, sorry.

schula 6 years, 3 months ago

I agree with everyone else who mentioned Paradise Cafe. They are greatly missed. I loved their cinnamon rolls and especially when they would make french toast out of the cinnamon rolls.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

Miltons. Miltons. Miltons. oh and did I mention Miltons? Their french toast matches no other.

George_Braziller 6 years, 3 months ago

Milton's has good coffee but for me it's in the "three strikes you're out category." Maybe I've just had bad luck there with the service and the food.

mick 6 years, 3 months ago

Johnny's Tavern=breakfast of champions.

blahblahblah 6 years, 3 months ago

Milton's is OK for coffee. Food for the price is sub-par. Hayes at 15th and Kasold actually has decent breakfast...

aginglady 6 years, 3 months ago

The Brick House..Amana Colonies, Iowa.Anything around here just can't compare.

aginglady 6 years, 3 months ago

I wondered if Hayes did, thanks blah :)I can name a lot of B&B's that don't have a good breakfast. Why is it so many people who open those, don't know how to cook? Maybe I need to head south.

staff04 6 years, 3 months ago

Diners...I agree wholeheartedly. My favorite is right here, luckily:http://www.bobandedithsdiner.com/

riverdrifter 6 years, 3 months ago

Cordoba's in Baldwin. I agree with Braziller on Kelly's, wherein he also aptly described Cordoba's.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 3 months ago

le, is the Grantville Cafe on Hwy 24? I would like to try it out!I'm still crying over no more Paradise Cafe! No more huevos rancheros, no more breakfast enchiladas. Ambiance, good food, terrific staff, great location, all gone. What a loss, and all because of horrible management. What a waste . . . .

yourworstnightmare 6 years, 3 months ago

Kelly's (formerly Clay's), on 19th and Haskell.

Godot 6 years, 3 months ago

The biker bar, Slow Ride, hands down best breakfast. Huevos Rancheros, mui bien.

riverdrifter 6 years, 3 months ago

The best breakfasts are, like, in the Roamer on Comb Ridge or at Buffalo Jump in October. Breakfast is always better when you're on safari. Everything is, come to think of it...

BrianR 6 years, 3 months ago

My fave used to be a place called The Kitchen on Wicomico St in Ocean City, Maryland. I don't even know if it's still there.

zettapixel 6 years, 3 months ago

If I started a little Tex-Mex taqueria that only served taquitos and pan dulce from 6am - 2pm, would they come?

amazonratz 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm still mourning the Blue Bird....remember the Blue Bird? What a great diner. Breakfast to dream about, and oh--the pies, the pies.......

aginglady 6 years, 3 months ago

This too has made me wonder what if I...Nest thought, it would be Kansas Alabama mix.Kansabama.Oh, no...that won't work.

bluedog 6 years, 3 months ago

Hanover Pancake House in Top City...yummm, pumpkin pancakes.

George_Braziller 6 years, 3 months ago

Blue Bird! That was the name of the place I was trying to think of earlier today! They were great until they started taking shortcuts like rehydrated dried potatoes. The doors closed shortly afterward.

Newcomb 6 years, 3 months ago

The cafe at Billtown was the best! I love my Grandma and her biscuits and gravy, but when it comes to B's and G's, Billtown was king. They also had delicious delicious pie. Rosie's cafe in Oskaloosa has (or had, it's been awhile since I've been there...) great breakfast as well.