LJWorld.com weblogs BigPrune

Would you buy an American car?

Would it be safe to buy an American car these days with them on the brink of financial collapse? It is easy to surmise that if they go under the parts suppliers will as well. If you bought an American made car and the Big 3 went under, could you still get your car repaired in the future? Is it worth the gamble?I know this was a question for the street people a few weeks back but I wonder if things have changed in your opinion?I'm thinking about buying a Christmas present for my little lady.

Comments

sfjayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

No - not until they produce a safe, reliable and fuel efficient one.

Jennifer Forth 9 years, 5 months ago

My uncle is a Master mechanic with Ford. I drive a Honda per his advice.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 5 months ago

If the "Big Three" filed bankruptcy, their operations would not be affected. They'd still be in business. They'd be "protected" from their creditors, and would someday pay them back. This chicken little attitude about the U.S. car industry going under doesn't make sense. There is no "gamble", Big Prune.

TheStig 9 years, 5 months ago

I also am looking at cars. I was think new but now I am thinking of a used Volkswagon GTI or Audi hatch. There are a couple of Ford's available in the UK and built in Germany that I would buy today but they are not available in the US till 2010. If I had to buy a new car today owned by an American company I would probably go Mazda3 or MazdaSpeed3 (Ford. made in Japan) or Volvo C30 T5 (Ford, probably made in Sweden). I could easily pick one up with a pretty nice kit in the low $20,000's. In either case if Ford goes under some car company will pick up Mazda and Volvo.

Danimal 9 years, 5 months ago

Go out and get yourself a Cadillac CTS-V, you'll get about 16 MPGs but you'll be driving a BA car. Actually my roommates girlfriend just got a new TDI Beetle and, while I would never drive a Beetle, I would definitely buy a TDI because they get something crazy like 50MPG highway, and 40-something in town.

TheStig 9 years, 5 months ago

Danimal (Anonymous) says… "Actually my roommates girlfriend just got a new TDI Beetle and, while I would never drive a Beetle, I would definitely buy a TDI because they get something crazy like 50MPG highway, and 40-something in town."I'd never get a Beetle because I'm not gay.

Tom McCune 9 years, 5 months ago

Stig:Ford recently sold most of its stake in Mazda, and it is talking about selling Volvo to the government of Sweden.http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/18/business/mazda.php

TheStig 9 years, 5 months ago

Newell_Post (Anonymous) says… "Ford recently sold most of its stake in Mazda, and it is talking about selling Volvo to the government of Sweden."True, so if it were just a car currently "mostly owned" by an American car company, it would have to be the Volvo C30 T5. If Ford gets rid of Volvo I'll have to wait for the Ford Fiesta or Focus which have a Volvo engine in 2010, hopefully. Interesting that the Volvo C30 T5 and the Focus (UK version) are built on what Ford call the "C1" platform. In November 2007, the BBC reported Sheffield University survey data as showing that 40% of UK families owned two cars, and one was 'likely to be a Focus'. Still Ford own 13% of Mazda and I really like the Speed3 so for now I'll keep it in my short list.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7071611.stm

BigPrune 9 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for all your responses. I forgot I posted this until this evening. I have a nice 15 passenger van picked out and under negotiations. The dealer will lose money on it but at least they'll get some money coming in. My wife will be shocked at her new present. Now she can pick up the kids from school, goody for me. Me lady will look real sexy behind the wheel. Just kidding about the 15 passenger dear. I forgot you read what I write. Spoiled my surprise again. NOW is the time to buy! I have never seen car dealers so willing to wheel and deal for business.