LJWorld.com weblogs bearded_gnome

Your Favorite comment thread of 2011 was ... ?

Hello--I did a blog like this last year, and people liked it so I thought I'd ask fellow posters again at the end of this year.

In 2011 we've lost some familiar posters, and others seem to be back with a new name or three.

Sven joined us, actually using his own name for a change, last spring. And ... he promptly got himself TOSsed off when he came in last place that April election day. (Sven Alstrom, city commission candidate and well known ljworld poster under a dozen or more names.)

Which thread was the funniest?

Which one was your favorite? Your funniest choice might be different from your favorite thread choice. Perhaps a thread moved you to tears or anger?

When you identify threads, please include links to them.

*and for those who have followed my postings for lo these nearly six years, I am soon posting a blog on 'how I spent my summer vacation' or, how I nearly died and some other stuff.' I'm especially looking forward to this 'best of 2011 threads,' because I missed many weeks online this year.

Enjoy ... oops, saying that, according to one very angry poster, means I'm an ITG (internet tough guy), though until she told me, I didn't know what ITG stood for, so I guess I'm thus disqualified from ITGship. lol

Comments

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

American, I also know a hemphill couple but they're near Wichita.

I'm glad my ref led you to this story. truly history is about real lives. and what a sad occasion there in the 100 years ago column.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

{slaps forhead] In reference to this story (I missed it the first time around) I once played little league baseball with Mike Hemphill and he lived on a farm south of Reno during the 60s with his parents. I am unsure of their first names, but I am betting these are the same Hemphills. I believe that Mike attended Lawrence High School and graduated in 1968.

---American, you mean "once" as "once upon a time" or "one time only?" if the latter, you got one heckuva memory dude!

where's Mike now I wonder. from your description I think he'd probably know that family history.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks American, I'll make sure that "old home town Sarah" sees this.

Sarah St. John 2 years, 11 months ago

threading away!

Thank you for this, Gnome! I am honored to be in your comments section. :-)

I would love to know if there are still any descendants of this particular Hemphill family and if they know about this story....

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

you're welcome Sarah and I would also like to know.

you have a favorite 'old hometown' of 2011?

Sarah St. John 2 years, 11 months ago

Ooooooooooo.... tough one. I have enjoyed a lot of them. I'll have to go back and look. I also enjoyed many comment threads on other stories this year, as usual.

I will tell you (since I missed your blog last year) what my fave OHT for 2010 was. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/aug...

It's a Gary Larson cartoon come to life!

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

Sarah, this is funny, though I haven't noted this behavior among the north lawrence chicks these days!

the comments section is pretty good under it too!

From the Lawrence Daily World for August 13, 1910:

“A chicken is a wise old bird. Perhaps that is the reason the fowls in North Lawrence have learned to meet the motor train on the Union Pacific. Sounds a little odd for chickens to meet the trains, doesn’t it? But that is exactly what happens daily. With the first shrill shriek of the whistle, every chicken in North Lawrence does a Chanticleer slide for the depot. What is the answer? Grasshoppers. For several weeks the broad scoop-like fender of the motor train had come into town literally wiggling with grasshoppers. A bushel or two could easily be brushed off the guards. They are of all varieties and form a delectable repast for the hungry fowls. There are the big T-bone kind, the juicy porter-house cuts and the sirloin cutlets. The chickens have learned this condition, and apparently are able to distinguish the motor train’s whistle. Depot employees who have watched the gradually developing intelligence of the chickens, assert that they begin to loaf around the railroad yards half an hour before train time. When the train is still around the curve, its first whistle is the signal for a great running and flying among the chicks.”

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

p.s. thanks for the link, I'd missed it the first time around, and it is on my brother's birthday too.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

LOL! turns out in today''s AP kansas is story of conviction of Steven Sullivan of lawrence for transport and sale of "bathsalts" and K2 (remember that one!).

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

During this year, we also learned you better watch out!

... because the blind now have conceal carry licenses available, too!

kinda gives a new meaning to "dead eye!"

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't have a link but some of the threads where a certain candidate for the City Commission got a mass spanking were pretty darned funny.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi Snappie, and happy new year to you, hope you and the other lemurs celebrated in fun and safety.

yes! that was quite funny indeed. I was amazed that he ran for the city commission at all!

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi gnome! How did I miss this? I tried to think of a favorite but none would come to mind. This one is fast becoming a favorite though and slipped in on the last day of the year!

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi Roe, looks like you didn't miss it.

thanks. will check it out.

happy new year to you and your bride.

and keep your chin up, the trolls just envy you your babe-magnet status, it's okay.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Dang! One little "indiscretion" and branded for life!

8-)

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

rotfl, yep. Jesse I also noted his ref to "tranny trouble" ...

Roe could have his own soap opera, "one roe's family?" "the days of Roe's life?"

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

Roe was a babe-magnet way before that one sad incident.

everybody makes a few mistakes.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

I liked the game show thread http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/dec/08/what-your-favorite-game-show/#c1873804

The world record thread was great fun. http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/nov/18/what-one-your-favorite-world-records/#c1842712

This thread made me hungry for ribs...and a smoke. http://www2.ljworld.com/polls/2011/nov/if-you-smoke-why-do-you-smoke/#c1839215

There are more, I'm sure, but that's a lotta work lookin' that stuff up, Gnomester. Happy New Year to you!

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm so glad you posted those RC! that's because I'd missed all of them the first time around! lol

I will enjoy reading and catching up.

happy new year to you and your main squeez.

Sigmund 2 years, 11 months ago

"Now we're under new management. Knology owns this space. We have lost Jonathan Kealing, and his sidekick Witney. As of now, Alex Parker is in control here (Alexander Haig ref)."

Really? I think the World Company still owns this space. While I had hoped that Jonathan's and Witney's departure's would lead to some balance reporting, those hopes were quickly dashed. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

thanks for catching that Sigmund! new management as in who's the warden(s), but you're right, same ownership.
was too focused on the Al Haig ref, again thanks for catching that.

lol!

you got a funniest/fave from 2011 bcman?

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe not the funniest, but you guys helping me choose a revolver was probably my favorite (btw... I got a Ruger GP100 4" barrel and love it).

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

very cool Monkey, what caring from your friends: love is a warm revolver, eh?

will check it out.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

hehehehe ... you said 4 inch barrel .... hehehehehe ... you got a little barrel .... hehehehe

sorry lab. Saw Beavis and Butthead on tv recently. Couldn't resist, given the typical comments leveled against gun owners. I thought it cool that it didn't devolve into a pro-gun / anti-gun string of comments. It remained on topic, was specific, and you found the information useful. Good for you.

okay Bea, besides worrying about Labmonkey's barrel size [hehehhehhh]

*you got a fave thread of 2011? I also thought it was nice that this didn't devolve into pro-anti-gun yelling. I appreciated that.

*happy new year, and I must compliment you on your sane stance expressed regarding the occu-whatevers.

I guess you're just not quite the raging crazy radical "progressive" femiNAZI I've always taken you to be! [hehehhehhheh] [smirk]

just remember this: all men are pigs.

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

It may not be big, but at least it's fast.

thanks Andini [blushing].

okay, then, how about your second most favorite thread then? lol.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey bearded. Thanks for the comments. I have tried to clean my act up this past year. Just trying not to be nasty to others. Far from perfect, I just need to keep working on it. As far as not being a "raging crazy radical 'progressive' femiNAZI," I would have to agree. I am not raging. ; )

I'm not sure what my favorite thread was. The Brownback tweet story was interesting, largely because of jaywalker's tenacious stand against the student. He really kept that story hopping.

There was also a Cal Thomas article that I questioned why the paper bothered printing, and jafs and (again) jaywalker game me a run for my money in arguing what qualifies as free speech. That one was a good argument. I guess I just prefer a strong argument without it turning into personal attacks and devolving into name calling. I've been there and done that. Don't need to do more.

I can't remember if woodchucks was this year or last.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

yes, free speech vs just stupidity, agreed.

but in that same way, I felt that Emma Sullivan (I was agreeing with Jaywalker I think) wasn't expressing some form of political speech, but instead she was just emitting two profanities, not the same. and she did bring shame on her school, that she did represent poorly.

according to her, Brownback either "sucks" or "blows" but I guess not at the same time, lol.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

Can't (and didn't) argue with your take on the content of the high schooler's message. It was dumb. I doubt it really brought shame on her school since high schoolers say far worse on a daily basis, but I agree it does reflect poorly on her. I wasn't championing her. She is just a kid amongst kids. It was more to do with her right to do it and the bigger weirdness of a governor's office tracking and responding to a high schooler's tweet that I found interesting. They are the ones who made it a story, not the tweet itself. That the governor had to apologize was classic. Not too often are governor's of any party put in the position of needing to apologize to a high schooler.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

well to be clear it was his staff being too zealous, not him himself.

but I thought Mr. Brownback was rather classy to apologize so quickly.
it was part of a school outing, and I think the principal's response was part of what applied the smelly stuff to the fan.
and then more of the crazies on the left were threatening the principal's life and family. sad that.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

okay then Bea, so " ... crazy radical "progressive" femiNAZI ... " describes you now, lol.
thanks for the clarification.

the woodchucks thread was 2010, and wa noted in the last episode of this annual favorites blog. very funny!

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

LibertyOne's blog against child labor laws was pretty far out there, as he tried to equate child labor with a kid helping mow the lawn. He really got wound up, even calling me a "monster" for expressing my opinion that we probably shouldn't do away with our child labor laws. I found the whole thing quite funny. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/liberty_one/2011/jul/2/no-one-is-against-child-labor/

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

thanks for the link Bea, I did miss that one too.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

I've received a communication from LadyJ as she's been missing for a time from our threads.

she says she's okay and will return soon.

Liberty275 2 years, 11 months ago

In general, my favorite threads involve Phred Phelps because it makes all the leftist hypocrites expose themselves.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, finally I have made my way back Lawrence this evening, but it was rough. As for favorite comment thread, all I can say is that 2011 just can't compare to 2010. For a recap http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/bearded_gnome/2010/dec/31/the-funniest-or-best-post/

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree LadyJ, for various reasons 2011 was a year of fewer posts overall. also fewer of the spontaneous crazy threads that used to suddenly emerge every couple weeks or so.

maybe we just need to stir things up better, eh? glad you made it back safe.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

This one was entertaining, got people worked up. Just a follow up note on the blog, I found an article about the (out of country, so nobody could picket it) wedding. Seems several Phelps members participated in the wedding. Tim Phelps read scriptures in the wedding. http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2011/j...

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

thanks Inmate, haven't seen so much of you lately.

thanks for stopping by.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

While not a specific comment comment thread, there was that bizarre episode when one of the commenters took offense to something some of the bloggers were joking about and went on a campaign on the internet making serious threats against them. Talk about someone in serious need of help.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Hmmm . . . seems I remember that one . . .

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

ah yes LadyJ, pretty crazy drunk dude there.

thanks for recalling that one.

good thing he's all just hot air and empty threats.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

Remember Whitney's last day when we all changed our avatar pictures to match her avatar. That was funny.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

and all the various replacement names for Witney, too!

Britney, et al! lol.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

By the way, no one laughs at my jokes as hard as I do. I think it's an inherited trait.

Way cool Ron!

I'm so glad you posted that one! very funny.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

Boy, I come back and gnome takes off.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

LadyJ, I'm back on in a limited fashion.

I am still not able to be at my computer very much.

something got worse last week.

I just cannot do certain things, probably for six months or more, which turned up my pain. yikes!