LJWorld.com weblogs bearded_gnome

Your Favorite comment thread of 2011 was ... ?

Hello--I did a blog like this last year, and people liked it so I thought I'd ask fellow posters again at the end of this year.

In 2011 we've lost some familiar posters, and others seem to be back with a new name or three.

Sven joined us, actually using his own name for a change, last spring. And ... he promptly got himself TOSsed off when he came in last place that April election day. (Sven Alstrom, city commission candidate and well known ljworld poster under a dozen or more names.)

Which thread was the funniest?

Which one was your favorite? Your funniest choice might be different from your favorite thread choice. Perhaps a thread moved you to tears or anger?

When you identify threads, please include links to them.

*and for those who have followed my postings for lo these nearly six years, I am soon posting a blog on 'how I spent my summer vacation' or, how I nearly died and some other stuff.' I'm especially looking forward to this 'best of 2011 threads,' because I missed many weeks online this year.

Enjoy ... oops, saying that, according to one very angry poster, means I'm an ITG (internet tough guy), though until she told me, I didn't know what ITG stood for, so I guess I'm thus disqualified from ITGship. lol

Comments

bearded_gnome 2 years, 3 months ago

LadyJ, I'm back on in a limited fashion.

I am still not able to be at my computer very much.

something got worse last week.

I just cannot do certain things, probably for six months or more, which turned up my pain. yikes!

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Boy, I come back and gnome takes off.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Remember Whitney's last day when we all changed our avatar pictures to match her avatar. That was funny.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

While not a specific comment comment thread, there was that bizarre episode when one of the commenters took offense to something some of the bloggers were joking about and went on a campaign on the internet making serious threats against them. Talk about someone in serious need of help.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

This one was entertaining, got people worked up. Just a follow up note on the blog, I found an article about the (out of country, so nobody could picket it) wedding. Seems several Phelps members participated in the wedding. Tim Phelps read scriptures in the wedding. http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2011/j...

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes, finally I have made my way back Lawrence this evening, but it was rough. As for favorite comment thread, all I can say is that 2011 just can't compare to 2010. For a recap http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/bearded_gnome/2010/dec/31/the-funniest-or-best-post/

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

In general, my favorite threads involve Phred Phelps because it makes all the leftist hypocrites expose themselves.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 3 months ago

I've received a communication from LadyJ as she's been missing for a time from our threads.

she says she's okay and will return soon.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

LibertyOne's blog against child labor laws was pretty far out there, as he tried to equate child labor with a kid helping mow the lawn. He really got wound up, even calling me a "monster" for expressing my opinion that we probably shouldn't do away with our child labor laws. I found the whole thing quite funny. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/liberty_one/2011/jul/2/no-one-is-against-child-labor/

bearded_gnome 2 years, 3 months ago

okay then Bea, so " ... crazy radical "progressive" femiNAZI ... " describes you now, lol.
thanks for the clarification.

the woodchucks thread was 2010, and wa noted in the last episode of this annual favorites blog. very funny!

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey bearded. Thanks for the comments. I have tried to clean my act up this past year. Just trying not to be nasty to others. Far from perfect, I just need to keep working on it. As far as not being a "raging crazy radical 'progressive' femiNAZI," I would have to agree. I am not raging. ; )

I'm not sure what my favorite thread was. The Brownback tweet story was interesting, largely because of jaywalker's tenacious stand against the student. He really kept that story hopping.

There was also a Cal Thomas article that I questioned why the paper bothered printing, and jafs and (again) jaywalker game me a run for my money in arguing what qualifies as free speech. That one was a good argument. I guess I just prefer a strong argument without it turning into personal attacks and devolving into name calling. I've been there and done that. Don't need to do more.

I can't remember if woodchucks was this year or last.

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe not the funniest, but you guys helping me choose a revolver was probably my favorite (btw... I got a Ruger GP100 4" barrel and love it).

Sigmund 2 years, 3 months ago

"Now we're under new management. Knology owns this space. We have lost Jonathan Kealing, and his sidekick Witney. As of now, Alex Parker is in control here (Alexander Haig ref)."

Really? I think the World Company still owns this space. While I had hoped that Jonathan's and Witney's departure's would lead to some balance reporting, those hopes were quickly dashed. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

I liked the game show thread http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/dec/08/what-your-favorite-game-show/#c1873804

The world record thread was great fun. http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/nov/18/what-one-your-favorite-world-records/#c1842712

This thread made me hungry for ribs...and a smoke. http://www2.ljworld.com/polls/2011/nov/if-you-smoke-why-do-you-smoke/#c1839215

There are more, I'm sure, but that's a lotta work lookin' that stuff up, Gnomester. Happy New Year to you!

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Hi gnome! How did I miss this? I tried to think of a favorite but none would come to mind. This one is fast becoming a favorite though and slipped in on the last day of the year!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't have a link but some of the threads where a certain candidate for the City Commission got a mass spanking were pretty darned funny.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 3 months ago

During this year, we also learned you better watch out!

... because the blind now have conceal carry licenses available, too!

kinda gives a new meaning to "dead eye!"