LJWorld.com weblogs bearded_gnome

Pothole Pageant

From the City of Lawrence:

Contact: Megan Gilliland, communications manager, (785) 832-3406

1) Citys pothole patching total up to 2,368

(Lawrence, Ks.) The City of Lawrence street division continued their assault on potholes this week. Since Monday, Jan. 11, a total of 594 potholes were reported through the citys online and telephone reporting systems. These notifications, and surveys by city crews, have resulted in a total of 2,368 potholes patched throughout the community over a two-week period. 85.5 tons of asphalt has been used to patch potholes throughout the community.

We have had three, four-person crews working each day to fill potholes,said Mark Thiel, assistant director of public works. At times, crews are patching the same potholes each day because of high traffic volumes.

One area that crews are patching on a daily basis is the area near the 2nd and Locust intersection. This area sees high traffic volumes daily and, due to construction, is the only access point into the city from north Lawrence. The roadway in this area is scheduled for maintenance in summer 2010.

From Gnome: 594 potholes reported.
2368 total potholes fixed!

Should we do something special for the 5000th pothole?

More snow is coming this winter. Should that winning pothole get a special decoration? Do the pothole patching crews sign their work?

In this blog, you can name your worst pothole of this season and tell why its the mother of all potholes.

public works reporting on the web is at: www.lawrenceks.org/public_works

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh, actually Maryon you make me smile! means I gotcha!

and thanks for getting the post count way up to start my new blog, one that's actually constructive instead of your attacking the library, of all things! LOL

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Potholes: maybe there's a pothole poet out there? a pavement sage? a chuckhole word roller?

the city is right, by the n. 2nd work zone, like under the rail bridge, there are huge potholes.

is one part of town worse than another?

how well is KU dealing with potholes?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Hi Blue, yes, I think his brain got rattled by potholes.

at least he managed to maybe get one post on topic.

I imagine these potholes are extra bad on bikers?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

blue73harley (Anonymous) says…

N1250 between Hiway 59 and Louisanna is falling apart. A lot of traffic including farm trucks and school buses take that shortcut since we still don't have a completed SLT! I've seen big chunks of asphalt laying in the road the last couple of days. In places near the edge of the roadway, it is down to mud. Be careful.

---wow, I know county road crew has been hard put because of the storm...but that sounds really bad Blue!

you might have the worst one there! that is county, or is it a township responsibility?

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 11 months ago

ROTFLMAO!!! So, there is someone out there who drives Marion as buggy as he seems to drive most of the other LJW posters! Gnome, you must have a lot of friends and fans around here.

Personally, I think Inverness from 15th to 23rd would be smoother driving if it were a gravel road.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Hi Jersey-girl, well I do my part for humanity [smirk].

Hey, Inverness there is a rather recent road construction, isn't it! seems like somebody should've built it better.
what makes it so bad? is it just potholes, or the attempts to fix them to?

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 11 months ago

Hey, Gnome.

Yeah, they should have built it better. I'd say it's a combination of both. The potholes are large and plentiful, but when they repair them, they seem to overfill them, creating mini speed bumps. I drive an old Jeep with no shocks and it's like 4-wheeling going along there.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 11 months ago

Trying to add me to the Marion Haters Club? Not gonna happen. All you rate in my book is an occasional eye roll.

headdoctor 4 years, 11 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… Well, Jersey, maybe you should get a part-time job so that you can afford new shocks instead of posting here and whining.

Don't pay any attention to Marion, Jersey_Girl. He likes the pot holes. He would rather be shaken not stirred.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 11 months ago

LOL!!! Marion doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not even sure why he drives as many people batty as he does.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 11 months ago

To report a pothole, contact the street division at (785) 832-3456

or fill out the city’s online pothole reporting form at http://www.lawrenceks.org/public_works/pothole_report_form.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 11 months ago

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

there is a nice crop of holes in the westbound left-lane on 6th st, right in front of the HYVEE.

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't know about filling pot holes in Lawrence, but I appreciate the LJWorld finally taking out the trash. Talk about long overdue!

Ding dong the witch is dead ...

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Jersey-girl: Yeah, they should have built it better. I'd say it's a combination of both. The potholes are large and plentiful, but when they repair them, they seem to overfill them, creating mini speed bumps. I drive an old Jeep with no shocks and it's like 4-wheeling going along there.

---so, do you play the musi from Deliverance, or some appropriate four-wheeling music then?

you know, Merrill tells us that broken streets are useful as passive traffic calming devices...so maybe he is the evil unseen hand behind them overfilling the potholes.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

puddleglum (Anonymous) says…

there is a nice crop of holes in the westbound left-lane on 6th st, right in front of the HYVEE.

---wow, probably does wonders for broken eggs and crumpled bread!

So, should we do something special for pothole 5000?

should we have a competition to identify which one will be pothole 5000?
maybe we need a pothole party?

the winner could win all kinds of pothole related prizes? and the ljworld could post a daily pothole counter.
even have a blog or two abut it from ljworld staff?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't know about filling pot holes in Lawrence, but I appreciate the LJWorld finally taking out the trash. Talk about long overdue!

---yes Bea, you and I rarely agree! however, this is a true statement!

kinda like Marion's comments were the potholes at the beginning of this blog, and LJWorld staff didn't just patch them, they completely removed them so the road is smooth, as if they were never there!

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

maybe we could put JK in charge of pothole repair in Lawrence? or maybe he will join me on my quest to be govenor? how bout it JK? we need you

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Jersey_Girl, I can't say he never bothered me as I am team Obama and he is not. Otherwise, no. Bea, that was just plain rude.