LJWorld.com weblogs bearded_gnome

The Funniest or Best Posting of 2010?

2010 was an eventful year for us posters on LJWorld's comment threads and blogs.

What do you remember as the funniest comment or blog of the year? What was the best overall?

---this year included the ejection of one poster at the end of January (He who shall never be named). Remember Macdonalds got double drive through lanes this year! And they're getting another set. Posters on opposite sides of national politics came together on local issues and humor. Sometimes we commenters help the newspaper with it's editing, too.

---And this year we have had Paul Hahn and Chelsea-Dianne join as active bloggers, contributing to our society. DIST has put up insightful provocative blogs. Then, of course there are the "cuzins" who emerge when a story calls for their presence.

---We also gained Whitney Matthews as our Hall Monitor. How often does she regret this job?

---and while some complain about the quality of comments here, complain about the complaining (LOL) etc., one look at other newspaper and news sites' comment spaces shows that we do pretty well here on LJWorld.

---So, what's your funniest or best for 2010?

Comments

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

LadyJ (anonymous) says…

That's why I'll have to bookmark this year's, at my age I have trouble remembering things. Of course that comes in handy when the only thing on tv is reruns, unless I've seen it 3 or 4 times, I don't remember how it ends.

January 6, 2011 at 9:13 a.m.

---oh you mean like this joke says: the best thing about alzheimer's is you meet new people every day, each day brings new stories, new music you've never heard before? [yes I admit that is a very bad joke]

bookmarked funny threads probablybeat most reruns anyway!

"shout memory!"

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah LadyJ, you have a particular favorite among the 2010 On the Streets?
because of my wacky schedule I very rarely get to look at it until it has died down later in the day.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

well you are welcome LadyJ [tips hat].
gee, could you hear that? lol.
yes I hope to post this again at the end of december. I think this canserve a useful purpose or three.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

New Year's resolution, to be ready if you do this again next year. Saving funny blogs to my favorites list so I'll have them. You guys posted a few blogs I had missed since my life got so hectic this last year, it was great to get to see them. Hopefully I will have more time to spend on the computer this year though probably not for a few months.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

---Whitney new on the job and taking charge. also some good humor.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

here's the link for the Marriage Therapist answers #1. hoping Paul continues this.
however, the thread was quite funny, as referenced above (wood chucks etc.) http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/relationships-matters/2010/nov/14/the-marriage-therapist-an/

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

DIST wrote: Or, they could all just meet at Johnny's and get hammered. : -)

---lol. then no drunk driving/biking. would have to arrange transportation for them all!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

and in May 2010 there was an "on the street" regarding what should happen to the Tanger Outlet Mall.
the thread sorta went way off the tracks, and in fact I think this was one reason we lost our dearly departed Spacehog.

note other classic players like Merrill with his redundant redundancies.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

surprised nobody nominated this thread. this is the deer visited Weaver's, through the window, lol!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

a little humor in this thread. also, legal system cynicism.
but I'm posting this link regarding the beginning of the trial in november. incident is from july '10.

comments posted sadly typify the epic struggle between drivers and bikers and even pedestrians.
this is an example, but last year there were literal dozens upon dozens of such comment threads.

maybe we need a truce tent at the kansas river bridge and bikers and drivers meet to hammer out a ceasefire?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

in this thread, a couple dozen ljworld crack posters, or at least posters on crack, distinguished themselves!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Py, thanks. yes Staff04 hit one out of the park there! very funny!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Oldy, that thread is pure LJW history man!
your posts cited are indeed worthy of recognition here. [tips hat].

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Paul_Hahn (Paul Hahn) replies …

I never introduced the "woodchucking" metaphor, but it was on my blog. I really cannot - and do not wish to - take credit for it.

---oh Paul you are too humble. you know that a good therapist acts with flexibility with his or her client(s) and is often willing to go where the client(s) interests lead.
thus, who can say just who is responsible for the wood chuck metaphor, you, the other posters, Jonathan Kealing, Dolph Simons, or the gestalt?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

link above didn't work right, sorry. here's the right one for the 71-year-old hutch woman who utilized an unregistered loaded weapon against her attacker and won:

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

it's its, or it's not. lol! caught me!

Pywacket 3 years, 3 months ago

Here's one of my recent favorites: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/dec/13/lawrence-classrooms-certain-student-names-ring-fam/#c1452534

Scroll down to Staff04's Dec. 13, 10:03 a.m. post---comedy gold! It also sends you to a very funny blog, which is a bonus.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

also from 2010: we had the nude gardner (of Boulder) thread: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/mar...

very funny. includes plenty of Merrill-related jabs.

whats_going_on (anonymous) says…

The posting a couple months ago from the marriage consultant came up with some pretty funny comments...lots of play on words with some kind of animal, I think. Can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember it being hilarious.

January 2, 2011 at 12:17 a.m.

very funny.---was Wood Chucks!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Ron, that poster you ref was ... DIST! yes, his work on that was classic, had me going too!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

OK, color me stupid, but on April 1 there was a blog about the roller coaster that was built about 1910 or so here in Lawrence.

A poster claimed to have found the remains of it in the woods in a park here in Lawrence, complete with pictures. I got all excited, and was all ready to put on old jeans and go for a hike until I realized - it was April Fool's Day!

whats_going_on 3 years, 3 months ago

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

chelseadiane (anonymous) replies …

That thread was rough. I still don't understand why everyone was picking on me, saying such mean things, and trying to hurt my feelings. But, it did toughen me up a bit.

And I'm still writing my blog, because it's fun.

Happy new year to all!

January 1, 2011 at 1:07 p.m.

---Chelsea, things we know for certain are: we can never predict where a thread will go, who will pop in, who will have a bad day, what will be misunderstood, etc.
just note my last post on here, LOL!

you are free to blog and keep it up!

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

I also get a kick out of the JW comment if you use a word they don't like== "Watch your mouth! The words "----" are not allowed here.

mom_of_three 3 years, 3 months ago

I have no examples per se, but it's always comical to read about how repubs or dems are doing one thing that is horrendous, but yet, the other party (and accusing party) does the same thing. And its postings by regular folks and the national folks. Politics is just stupid.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

I would like to nominate "this is my last post on this site" (or an variation off such statement) made by posters who later came back.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

and in the positive contribution side: my friend Ronda Miller posted more than one blog concerning Midge at the Shelter and her job situation, helping to rally support for Midge in the community.

Ronda also posted a creative blog to raise support for christmas adoption through local nonprofits.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

LadyJ (anonymous) replies …

iamtired's last link to a picture on that site was great. Roe's links to pictures are always a treat to view.

---indeed.

Autie, yea we cainttalkboutit! but wen we kin, lest do!

I believe last summer there was the case of the nude swimmers, too. I'll have to look that one up. postings funny.

and Don Nuts made it into a reference above. his writing is certainly original. once I posted on one of his blogs and tried to write in his style. it i not easy to write that way! lol!

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

I noed some two that wood make you laff some moe but I cain't taukboutit.

LadyJ:

---yes the whole "people of Walmart" was hilarious!!! and the cookie aisle.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

just to be thorough: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jul...

the article is from 2009 but there are good 2010 comments and the subject is relevant, LOL!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Py: Some of you have already referenced some of the classic threads: nude gardeners... dog racing.... But just as often, there would be some hidden gem on an obscure thread that very few seemed to be reading. I loved some of those... But I tend to forget most of them in short order, unfortunately.

Hope everybody's having fun this NYE. Stay safe! We're doing the at-home thing, with plenty of bubbly & not-necessarily healthy snacks. Cheers to all!

---Py you only live once. you can only die once, so fergetaboutit! don't need healthy snacks!

and please bring those funny postings here so others can find them.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

BearKans, yes we often do help the newspaper with their errors. for example, see yesterday RE the city's tour of nesting eagles.

Hi Jonathan, a very happy new year to you and your new bride.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2011 is great for all of you. Thanks for being part of the community here.

BearKans10 3 years, 3 months ago

commenters help the newspaper with it's editing?

Pywacket 3 years, 3 months ago

Yowza! There have been so many hilarious posts--both intentional and not so much--that I can't think of any offhand that stand out. Might be thinking clearer in about 15 hours or so...

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

I also almost never use the ljworld's searchbox.
google: site:ljworld.com "merrill" "nude gardening" you'll get it.

also from a couple years before try: google: site:ljworld.com "merrill" "naughty but nice" very funny.

try him for nude bicycling and nude hiking too.
some of these came up in this year! lol lol.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

welcome Dusty, glad you enjoy the banter.

and speaking of woof: there was the incident of someone speaking at the library, about a certain dog race that happens in or near Alaska.
woof!

but then we also had Zombies in Marriage and family therapy too!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Under cover plumber! that was really funny indeed. and of course we did see the rise and fall of Anna-undercover.

DIST, yes we are all neighbors, just some more than others.

DustyAcres 3 years, 3 months ago

I am pretty new on here and don't post often. But I love reading all the comments and the blogs. Usually get my laugh of the day on here. Keep up the good work! Also, liked the "cart complaint."

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Okay, here's the deal. Posting links to the old blogs/articles makes it very tempting to add new posts, thereby bringing them back to the current "Most Discussed" list. Not to mention the comments made by those who no longer choose to post are ripe for resurrecting. Since I'm not partaking of celebratory spirits this evening I may be able to resist that urge . . . . Time will tell . . .

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

It all kinda melts together, but YDP have been darned funny a lot this past year. Woof

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Can't find the one about the nude gardening, it was hilarious, where merrill revealed he thinks we should all do things in the nude for our health. He got a post removed for posting a link to nude bicyclists.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Now some of the weirdest blogs were by Donnuts, although a couple of times he posted a story that actually made sense, they rest were just really weird.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

" I suspect that we are almost neighbors. " could be a possibility.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

LadyJ, yes! and CC's reaction to the disappeareddeded blog, that was funny too! somehow I don't think the ljworld poobahs were very happy with the continued life of that blog! thanks for the compliment, I enjoy your posts too, and I suspect that we are almost neighbors.

now, for those reading along, this blog of mine is not just intended for old posting hands who even know who "the Cuzins" and "Skank4ever" were!

you have a favorite post or blog? please speak up and say so.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Roe: I also learned this year that if I try to get along with someone who changes the subject of her blogs almost as often as she changed her poster name I was wasting my time.

December 31, 2010

and Hi DIST!
you are a craftsman.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Roe and DIST always have great posts, you too gnome, love to read them. Remember when spacehog did the style scout blog which is now gone. Some posters get really annoyed when we try to have a little fun which is fun in itself. The best was the "disappeared" blog that took three tries for the JW to get disappeared. ♣

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 3 months ago

My "Fun Pictures of Recent Comment" blog has been the the most fun to create. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/did_i... (Click any picture on the blog to link to its story/comment.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah, that was great! The one that set the stage for me though was from '09, the infamous sank4ever Ford Escort caper! That's where I learned to never let anything said in these threads get me upset. I also learned this year that if I try to get along with someone who changes the subject of her blogs almost as often as she changed her poster name I was wasting my time.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh! that was funny! and he got away in a "station wagon" too! LOL LOL!

yes I remember the droid who went after you!

okay Roe, was the Cuzins' favorite thread the main/first thread about Scooter and meth and the families?

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/police-scanner-action-in-lawrence-kansas/2010/dec/14/masked-gunman-at-wal-mart/#comments "Masked Gunman At Wal-Mart"

Enjoyed this one also. One hot headed poster thought he/sh/it was getting me straightened out, only to get several of his/her/its posts removed for going over the line. Some are just so easy . . .

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Hi Roe! yeah,funny that! no actual posts by so-called "cyberknight" hmmm! lol.

and his "Barack Hussein Obama hates Polar Bears" blog was 2009 if I remember right. that was funny, at least 8 of his own posts yanked from off of his own blog!
besides Cyberknight I know he went through at least two other ID's during 2010.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

CyberKnight (anonymous) says… "I think that if you think the guy is gone, you are dreaming. I'd be keeping my head down." March 9, 2010 at 7:44 p.m."

Unfortunately I am unable to find any actual posts from the above poster.

Going today: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/dec...

the cart complaint thread is very funny and well worth mentioning here, especially the "cart wranglers" references.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

Please post a link to that comment or blog if you can to help your fellow readers see what you liked.