LJWorld.com weblogs bearded_gnome

A 2010 Lawrence baby boom? Keeping Warm in the Most Traditional of Ways

Just what was happening in Lawrence nine months ago, less one or two weeks?
[the first 100-characters makes a lousy summary for a blog so don't look here for it, please continue to read until admin fixes this]

I notice seven births announced in today's online edition of the LJWorld.

Nine months ago was Lawrence's Christmas Eve blizzard. Besides today's birth announcements, I have noticed the question of this blog discussed elsewhere. It is great to remember that blizzard from these hot days of August. Police and fire vehicles got badly stuck in the snow. Snow drifted to heights taller than many men. Snow in that depth stayed for weeks. Much of that snow refused to melt for many weeks.

Are we now in a local baby boom? Why am I connecting this to the blizzard?

For those who don't know, it takes nine months for baby to grow in mother's womb to the time of birth, for most babies. For an extended discussion of how the baby gets there, please refer to Wikipedia or Wikileaks or some place else 'cuz that's not where this blog is going.

It seems that perhaps nine months ago Lawrence residents were keeping warm in the most traditional of ways. Forced to stay inside at home. "so simple, a caveman could do it."

Anybody noticing this baby boom?

What do you remember from the Christmas Eve blizzard?

Will your memory have a name on him or her?

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

and of course, pictures of those memories would be welcome, too. whether those memories have a name on them or the memories are in another form.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

The sound of the snow plow outside your house sounded like the cavalry's bugle on an old fashioned western.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

Hi, gnome!

I remember thinking I wasn't going to make it to warmer weather! I loved the way the snow looked though as our little Maltese managed to be light enough to run on top of snow drifts. I would have been hard pressed digging them out if they'd fallen through!

I promised myself I wouldn't say this, but wouldn't snow be lovely today!

Where's your sciFi submission. :)

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Highest electric bills ever! (but no resulting offspring . . .)

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

I've been away from the site all day and will answer now. sorry for the delay.

the "I heard" was a bit more than a rumor, but not quite statistical. its source is medical. and my posting it here is not fantastical.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

Tange: Winter of (late) 2009, best winter ever. 'nuff said!

---Okay Tange! what made it the best winter ever? the outdoor sports? the snow drifts? or the keeping warm? you must elaborate man.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey Ronda! I'd sure go fer some snow today!!! wanna have a snowball fight?

you'd find me a surprisingly accurate hurler.

Sci/Fi entry? what? ..you mean this isn't Sci/Fi? lol.
I'm afraid that if I wrote a Sci/Fi entry today, ljworld would disappearrreeedddeddeddedededded me so far that actual garden gnomes in lawrence would lose their hats!

I'm so glad your little Maltese didn't fall in the snow!

my dog loved the snow. he doesn't like the ice. but snow is just fine for him. if I could, he'd walk for miles in it.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

Roe: Highest electric bills ever! (but no resulting offspring . . .)

---Roe, you end that comment sort of trailing off, like you're not sure or something??? lol.

if you had, what would you have named him/her?

"snow white?"

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

LadyJ: Were they trying to keep warm or snowed in and bored?If baby resulted, they won't be bored any more.

---LMAO! you got that right. I think the furnace would've been a cheaper lifetime choice?

btw, you wrote this line pretty cool too, LadyJ. it is fun to read.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

and finally for tonight: in the interests of ethics and full disclosure, I will admit that I posted this blog on my own birthday. yes, that means that I was apparently conceived at about Christmas time, too.
[now, you see what you can learn if you just read far enough?]

That conception did occur in a state neighboring Kansas.

Climate?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh yes Aggie,

you are right about that blackout. but the demonstrated fact that that blackout baby boom didn't happen does not mean that we are not having one now, and does not mean that we could not have one now. review your basic logic.

plus, I wonder about the differences between 1965-1970 statistical analyses and 2010 statistical analyses.

of course I don't have a link for the up-to-the-moment LMH birth stats. but see my kryptic reference to "I heard."

so to speak, those LMH birth stats are still being compiled. lol.

and, Aggie, what do you remember of the Christmas Eve blizzard?

Linda Hanney 4 years, 4 months ago

Forgive self link, but you asked for pictures, gnome. These are of the weather, the babies in our family would be grandchildren.

Romans832 4 years, 4 months ago

Christmas Eve has a wonderful memory for me. :-) A friend and I were going to attend his church service and then mine, with an early dinner before. His service got cancelled, mine was still on. But when he came to pick me up for dinner, he called back and said driving was impossible. However, he said there was still good traction for walking. We agreed to walk to the restaurant, which was about 1/2 mile from where I lived, but about 1.5 miles for him. He wore a ski mask, but the one memory I have when he arrived was the frost in his eyebrow. The hot tea warmed us up, as well as the laughter, which prepared us for our respective walks home.

Romans832 4 years, 4 months ago

As you said, Bearded_Gnome, "those LMH birth stats are still being compiled." And I think the ones associated with the blizzard are yet to come. Try as I might, I can only get eight months between December and August. Might this boom have some relation to the Thanksgiving holiday?

By the way, my mom says I was conceived sometime around Christmas. My parents had only been married about 2.5 months, but at 36, you don't have time to waste! ;-) Mom says they made a baby before he left for work. :-)