LJWorld.com weblogs bearded_gnome

What do you want for the Christmas [holiday] season?

What do you most wish for in this Christmas [holiday] season?

It’s been a particularly hard year for me and mine, 2009. I find myself looking forward with eager anticipation to an event. Anticipation is helping me cope. I think many of us have had a hard year.

What are you looking for this Christmas season? No, not the vague, unattainable, “world peace,” or that drop-dead gorgeous girl in the other cubical at work. What is it you really want to see happen, or do this season for Christmas? What will bring the joy of the season to you in this tough time? When I think of my coming event, I catch myself smiling.

For me, it is Christmas Eve service at my church; old fashioned, I know. Sweet, cozy, comforting. Jesus’ birth celebrated in the traditional way. I hope just one or two inches of snow glazes the ground. I hope the temperature won’t be 10F like this moment as I type. Yet, the candles bring light and heat. The Christmas carols’ music rings in ancient celebration. And the love of God is made manifest.

It’s nine days to Christmas. How about you? What do you find your heart anticipating for this Christmas, Kwanza, or Hanukah? Please share it here.

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

Eid (pronounced EED, also spelled Ied though not the explosive) occurred a couple weeks ago for Muslims, so I'm to late for you. and yes I know Hanukah is about over.

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 10 months ago

I want my sister to find peace. She lost her 16-month-old in a water accident earlier this year and it broke her heart. It is agonizing to see her so distraught. I want her to let herself heal.

I want my close friends and of course my family to make more time in their schedules for their health. Teeth cleanings, physicals, and other regular check-ins are important--not just for you, but for me to keep enjoying and having you! A former East Lawrence Ballet dancer just died of mouth cancer at 26--a month after her diagnosis. I never knew her, but it hurt me to see her friends--who are also my friends--in so much pain. We all need to take care of ourselves so we can be there for each other.

I want everyone to remember that forgiving people who have hurt us in the past will feel better than continuing to fight with ourselves and each other.

I want everyone to put some money in their savings account.

We all need to exercise. Sign up for a 5k! You can be ready for it in a month. Keep that ticker healthy.

I want my girlfriends to quit smoking.

Most of all, I want hugs from my family and friends and promises that we'll continue to spend time together for years and years to come.

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 10 months ago

And I want this horrendous rib injury to finally go away. I am in so much pain right now I could cry. :(

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

First I want the last item in Donnuts 4:06 burned out of my brain with a red hot tire iron..

Then I would like good health and happiness for all the good friends I have made here on the ljw online. I would like to live long enough to become friends with all my future grandchildren, and maybe see a few of them retire. I want to keep my promises to gnome and Irish, and everyone else for that matter.

I want to win the lottery, the Nobel Peace prize and season tickets for KU basketball. After all, I have as good of a chance as anyone..

I want Donnuts to get enough socks that he doesn't have to wear the same pair all year. I want Anna to get a job she isn't embarrassed to tell her parents about.

Oh, and whirled peas.

nbnozzy 4 years, 10 months ago

annaundercover, when my brother and I had NBN, that dancer was one of our regular customers. She had a bit of a wild side, but she was still sweet and a very nice girl. I was saddened to hear of her dying so young. Too bad you didn't get a chance to know her. I think you and her would have been great friends.

My Christmas wish is that this stupid health care proposed by Obama doesn't pass. I cannot afford to take the cuts in service and the eventual rise in costs. I was diaganosed with esophagus, liver, and brain cancer almost a year ago. My current health care policy makes it so I can afford the treatments I am receiving. Under Barracks plan, I will not have this. My deductable will be so high that chemo therapy treatments may be stopped. And then the cancer will spread and death, imminent. It's a very real possibility.

Other than that, I wish for my fiance, family, friends, YOU who read this, and my lil daschund, long happy lives. God Bless.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

i want an uneventful christmas/holiday season. nothing bad or dramatic happening. just chilling, relaxing and enjoying the company of my family.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

anna, i will say a prayer for your sister and your coworkers that they will find peace and are able to heal. i'm sorry for the loss of your sister's child. that is beyond tragic. i'll pray for your peace of mind as well. prayers are good... whatever belief system you subscribe to, they are positive energy and that is why they bring forth more positivity.

donnuts, dude, you are nasty. yuk to the 9th power. you come across as a super lonesome dude and, if that assessment bears any truth, there is probably really good reason for your loneliness.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

I am praying that the health reform bill passes. I would like to have a thousand dollar gift card at Borders. I thank God that I have finally been able to get a cat again after all this time. Deion is a great companion and I do love him. I thank God that I live in a wonderful place. My granddaughter says that it is like a dorm for old people. I want to give thanks for all those who help at this time of year doing all the work necessary to get out the gift baskets from the churches and the Holiday Bureau. Thanks to Bert Nash and Independence, Inc.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

^^^ i have cats too, irish and they are great. :)

acg 4 years, 10 months ago

denak 4 years, 10 months ago

That and winning the lottery.:)

Dena

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Wouldn't it be perfect to get your son on or before Christmas Eve and then you two could go to the Midnight Mass together to celebrate the birth of your new family as well as the baby Jesus? I wish your social worker a merry Christmas as well as she is probably feeling overwhelmed with a huge caseload.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 10 months ago

I want someone to tell me where in town I can buy Ice skates. PLEASE.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

way to go donnuts! that was hot.

All I want for christmas is for another couple of hundred 'stripper-blogs' and maybe the randy leach case to be solved. f-f-finally

how about a fresh start by opening up the suspected cave and letting in a private investigator?

I suspect most people involved are dead now anyway, so why would anyone oppose it?

1029 4 years, 10 months ago

1029 4 years, 10 months ago

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

denak, here's to all of the red tape and the waiting disappearing and you getting your christmas wish ASAP. :) cheers!

nbnozzy 4 years, 10 months ago

Is this a joke? Or are you really this dumb and misinformed? I'd rather see one person die than see that one person defend misinformation that will eventually lead to countless others dying. So good luck with that cancer, you selfish, malicious person.

1029, care to make that statement to my face? Everything I said is true. Current estimates are that health care costs may be 25% of a persons income. Can you or anyone here afford that?

It's real nice you wish me death, and I'd gladly like you to be the one to try to end it. Up for the challenge you gutless bastard???

acg 4 years, 10 months ago

wow all of a sudden a holiday wish list turned really ugly. How about no death wishes or gutless bastards comments on this particular thread today?

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

"Dear Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors. I would like to thank you for bringin' me and my mama together, and also that my kids no longer sound like retarded gang-bangers."

"Dear tiny Jesus, with your golden, fleece diapers, with your tiny little fat balled up fist" Ted Manson (Chip): "he was a man, he had a beard" Will Ferrell: ... look, I like the baby version the best, do you hear me? From Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

jehovah_bob 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm hoping for Rapture so that I'll never have to celebrate Christmas ever again.

Anna: Could your current employment be exacerbating your rib injury? Perhaps your trip to Paris will allow you to heal.

Irish: Wait a second, we all get $1000 Borders cards if the Health Bill passes? Sweet! I knew I voted for the right guy.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

^^^ what's this you say about borders cards??!

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 10 months ago

@nbnozzy Thank you so much for your kind words. I am very sorry to hear that you are ill. ::hugs:: I will keep you in my thoughts. You sound like a good fighter!

@honeychild Thank you. My sister blames herself for everything and it's so hard. Nothing any of us can say or do will change her mind. On one hand, she knows in her mind that there's nothing she could have done in this situation, but in her heart, she feels so guilty. It's so hard. She is so sad about it that people in her church--who were initially amazingly supportive--avoid her. She understands why but still wishes they wouldn't do that. It hurts all of us to watch this happen. I will tell her today that you are praying for her.

@jehovah_bob I have this injury from a work-accident in early July. I thought it was gone. I think I alluded to it being gone in one of the drafts of a recent post, too. I don't even know what I did last night to exacerbate it; it just suddenly started bothering me and the pain built to such a point that I had to drive my wimpy, crying self to Lawrence Memorial at four in the morning. They gave me some pretty strong painkillers to last me for a week. I'm going to need it because I'm signed up for the next four days straight. Don't worry; I know how to perform injured when I have to from my (long gone) days of ballet. Sigh. :) I miss those days.

Paris Paris Paris! I'm so excited. If I'm still hurting when I get there, their health system will take care of me free of cost. Imagine that! :) Out here it's hard to afford the things like antibiotics that I seem to need all the freakin' time.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

anna, tell your sis to look into the compassionate friends chapter in whatever town she lives in (or lives close to). i used to work w/ a woman who had lost her son AND her granddaughter and she was a member of that organization. i think they do a great job of bringing people together who probably feel as if they are all alone w/ their problems.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

oh, and anna, i just watched the documentary sicko and you're right-- they'll hook you up in france if you take ill or get hurt! :)

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 10 months ago

@honeychild I'll pass that information on to her. God knows she needs it now. Of course I try, but there is absolutely nothing I can say or do that will change her heart/mind about where responsibility lies with this tragedy.

I can't tell you how surprised we were when so many people showed up for the funeral. She was such a beautiful child, inside and out. Everyone kept going up to the mic and telling story after story about how she touched their lives. She may have been barely over a year old, but people were very attracted to her truly exceptional beauty and outgoing personality. Every time her parents went to get her at the church nursery, another parent was holding her. She was a little magnet.

I carry her picture to remind me of how important family is. Anyone can be gone at any moment. It's important to make phone calls and make plans to see each other frequently so we have no regrets in the end.

I love France's health care. I'd be miserable with all that money taken out of my pay, but when you consider possible alternatives--such as paying for ER visits and medication out of pocket, like I just did--you start to reconsider. I don't know. :P

Sicko. That movie had me in tears in under five minutes. Can you believe that poor man had to choose which finger to re-attach? And the girl who was told that being able to hear in both ears was too 'experimental'? Health insurance companies are evil, evil businesses. We all just need whitelighters like in the TV series Charmed, which I am way too into.

KansasPerson 4 years, 10 months ago

@Anna -- my heart just aches for your sister and your whole family. At first I thought, maybe she just needs more time -- I think the whole grief process is too rushed sometimes -- but reading further, I see that she is feeling guilty for it, and that has to be stopping her from healing. I'm no expert on these things but I second honeychild's recommendation and I'll pray for your sister.

denak 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Irish and Mel but I think we are going to have world peace before the end of red tape. :)

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 10 months ago

@KansasPerson Thank you. I will pass that on to her, too. It means a lot to me that you guys are moved by her grief. Like you said, she definitely needs to avoid blaming herself so she can actually heal.

Her daughter was such a wonderful little girl. I tear up every time I think about what happened.

Mary Darst 4 years, 10 months ago

Cuzin Audie I needs a truck, one of themins okalhoma cuzins bard mine. ifn he doesn't poor in oil ever 50 miles or so she'll qiut on him sur.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

Sorry it took me a little while to get back here!

@nbnozzy I sincerely hope your cancer remits. I had a serious health problem (still do but its doing much better now) and I understand that feeling of the sword hanging over your head. I know your little dog helps you every day. Do something special for him or her this Christmas.

@Roe, i wuntsa hav a cuzins reunionn so we can hav a escort coleckters car sho at the saem tiem sank wil be the escort prinsess ---hey, du I get the beer consesssion thar? Cud be pretty gud!

Anyway Roe, you and Mrs. Roe have a very good Christmas. And try to be careful ‘round dem cuzins! Ya kno thay’re truble!

@Don-nuts I want a beluga whale that can play basketball (pool and maintenance staff with fish food supply included), a G.I. Joe doll that is soon to come out after the nearly arriving movie, a 49th edition of Julia Child's Master the Art of French Cooking, Camile Paglia's latest book, a jar of jelly belly jelly beans

---man, the whale and the G.I. Joe sound really cool. Please post directions where to find them! But generally Don I think you’re the hardest man to shop for in Lawrence. LOL.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

@ACG, I want to be able to know, in my heart of hearts, that my husband quitting his job and going back to school full time isn't going to screw us in the end. I want my cousin who's dying of MRSA related heart valve failure to get better. I wish that I could undo the tragic death of annaundercover's sister's child. And I would love a new bed. Mine is getting old and it hurts my back. Oh and I think my best friend's kid is autistic. I haven't said anything to her about it and I think she's oblivious, but I'd like to know by next Christmas, that I was dead wrong.

---Oh ACG, my heart is moved, you really have had a hard year.
Apparently with economic hard times, a lot of people are choosing to go back to school. I hope your husband makes the most of the material in the classes plus the networking. I also hope you’ve shared your fears with him and that he’s understanding about them. I can tell this is a lot of stress for you. ---I know something about MRSA, and it is viscious. Help your cousin (him or her) to enjoy each day that’s coming and make this time the best it can be. He or she has major limitations on activity, but within the limitations, there can still be fun and pleasure. Try not to just focus on the coming loss and the disease. Your cousin is much more, and your cousin is scared and lonely.
---having serious bed troubles sure makes everything worse, doesn’t it? So, for Christmas, you’d just like your bed fixed, or a little better? Can some inexpensive fixes make a difference at least in the short run like putting a plywood board between the matress and springs? That’s just one example of a simple fix for some problems. If I remember right, you’ve got a very young child too. I hope your Christmas shines despite these difficulties ACG! ---if he does have Autism, there are excellent people at KU for working with Autistic kids. Whether or not it is Autism, you’re seeing something seriously different about him and he needs to be examined and diagnosed carefully, as early as possible. Sometimes there are conditions that resemble Autism which are treatable and reversable with early treatments.

@Irish

$1000 gift card, you got a sugardaddy?

---I had meant to mention here the wonderful work of the Holiday Bureau. Hundreds of Lawrence families have a much brighter Christmas than they would have had otherwise because of the volunteer effort and the very benevolent donors!!! All done without government confiscation, just voluntary for love and a desire to help. Great job everybody with the Holiday Bureau!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

@Napoleon,

@Denak I wish the social worker who is handling my (hopefully soon to be) son's adoption will hurry her butt up. I was hoping we would get to visit before Christmas but that doesn't look as if is going to happen but it would be nice. That is what I hope for the most. ---Right on Dena! Maybe just ask for the visit though the adoption is not done? This is not just a great possibility for you, but for the kid you’re adopting! Keep at it, maybe the red tape will part! If not, maybe you get him a Christmas gift anyway. And during your Christmas you record him a letter describing what is happening. That way, when you get your son he gets your Christmas a little late.

@MomX2 I want someone to tell me where in town I can buy Ice skates. PLEASE. ---Try Sunflower outfitters, if they don’t sell them, they’ll know who does.

@Jacob I want to end the national debt. ---oh, remember I said don’t wish for the unattainable! LOL. But, first step is vote for responsible congressmen/senators and get involved with the political process. If they know we hold them accountable for a debt that robs our grandchildren, and it could effect their reelections, they’d do something very quickly.

@Grammaddy Can't wait for Christmas and the smiles on the kids and grandkids faces. Who could ask for more? ---Yes, it’s the kids. If someone is reading this and feels down, perhaps he or she could join some activity at christmas where kids are included. The joy and wonder, anticipation and excitement in simple kids’ reactions are treasure to our hearts.

Godot 4 years, 10 months ago

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

@Anna Thank you. My sister blames herself for everything and it's so hard. Nothing any of us can say or do will change her mind. On one hand, she knows in her mind that there's nothing she could have done in this situation, but in her heart, she feels so guilty. It's so hard. She is so sad about it that people in her church—who were initially amazingly supportive—avoid her. She understands why but still wishes they wouldn't do that. It hurts all of us to watch this happen. I will tell her today that you are praying for her. ---Anna, you don’t change her mind and the most important thing is to be alongside her in this most horendous kind of grief. She doesn’t want a monkeywrench to fix it, she needs shoulders to cry on. I fear that her church family feels overwhelmed too. I hope she’s talked with her pastor, arranged for a series of counseling meetings. I’m praying for her too. Parents aren’t suppose to lose their children and certainly not so young. She needs to go through the grief how ever long it takes and guilt is a natural part of that grieving. Sometimes arguing with her can make it worse.

@ylime An investor/gift/partner :) ---try setting up your own foundation with your name on it? LOL. Good luck with that Ylime!

@autie, is that thar still one of them new fangleled digital still with corn inverzion? I herd it relly pushes up the alkyhol content!! Just don’t lite 1 of yer stogies in the same rum wid it! Youd put yerself on the moon! Yeah, but I cant talk about it neither.

@godot A break from work so I can have time with family. We have all agreed to forego presents, except for the kids. We are going all out for them. I am looking forward to a family Christmas dinner of chicken tacos, beans and salad. And maybe some ice cream with chocolate and nuts. ---Godot, ever the traditionalist! Even to Christmas dinner. Those Christmas tacos buddy? Yes, put the kids first. You and I remember how our parents did that for us, it’s the right thing to do. You go man. I hope your Christmas break from work is relaxing and you get lots of family time. The family needs you as much as you need the family.
Any board games or cards in that family time? Or Touch Football? Or, family musical jamming together?

And 1029 shows himself to be completely classless. Wishing for someone else’s death because you disagree politically, that’s far beyond sad. That’s evil. .

Godot 4 years, 10 months ago

bearded_gnome, Merry Christmas wishes to you and your family. Yes, we will be jammin', big time. Music is the stuff of life!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

For Roe, Autie and CJ, by Jeff Foxworthy: 'Twas the night after Christmas and all through the trailer, the beer had gone flat and the pizza was staler. The tube socks hung empty, no candies or toys, and I was camped out on my old Lay-Z-Boy. The kids they weren't talking to me or my wife, the worst Christmas they said they had had in their lives. My wife couldn't argue and neither could I, so I watched TV and my wife, she just cried.

When out in the yard the dog started barkin', I stood up and looked and I saw Sheriff Larkin. He yelled, "Roy I am sworn to uphold the laws and I got a complaint here from a feller named Claus." I said, "Claus, I don't know nobody named Claus, and you ain't taking me in without probable cause." Then the Sheriff he said, "The man was shot at last night." I said, "That might have been me, just what's he look like?" The Sheriff replied, "He's a jolly old feller, with a big beer gut belly, that shakes when he laughs like a bowl full of jelly. He sports a long beard, and a nose like a cherry." I said, "Sheriff that sounds like my wife's sister Sherri." "It's no time for jokes Roy" the Sheriff he said. "The man I'm describing is dressed all in red. I'm here for the truth now, it's time to come clean. Tell me what you've done, tell me what you've seen." Well I started to lie then I thought what the hell, it wouldn't have been the first time that I've spent New Years in jail.

I said, "Sheriff it happened last night about ten, and I thought that my wife had been drinking again." When she walked in from work she was as white as a ghost. I thought maybe she had seen one of them UFO's. But she said that a bunch of deer had just flown over her head, and stopped on the roof of our good neighbour Red. Well I ran outside to look and the sight made me shudder, a freezer full of venison standing right on Red's gutter. Well my hands were a shakin' as I grabbed my gun, when outta Red's chimney this feller did run. And slung on his back was this bag over flowin'. I thought he'd stolen Red's stuff while old Red was out bowling'. So I yelled, "Drop fat boy, hands in the air!" But he went about his business like he hadn't a care. So I popped a warning shot over his head. Well he dropped that bag and he jumped in that sled. And as he flew off I heard him extort, "That's assault with intent Roy, I'll see ya in court."

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Those were two different wishes. One for the health reform bill to be passed. Two, a thousand dollar gift car from Borders. Okay so that last one is probably not attainable, but I really love to read and I can wish.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

Godot (Anonymous) says…

bearded_gnome, Merry Christmas wishes to you and your family. Yes, we will be jammin', big time. Music is the stuff of life!

--Thank you Godot and same to you! I hope the music is really hot! you have a great time! maybe put some on video?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

Irish, well, I wondered how attainable...

okay so if somebody wants to make a really wacky* senior very happy, give her a gift card there!

I have to add that I was moved by the suffering and pain expressed by Anna especially about her sister, and ACG. I also know Dena really wants this adoption to go through before Christmas.

Let's hope the angels have access to LJWorld then.

anybody else got something that is a real strong anticipation this season?

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

I want a deer rifle that will make a 150 yd anchor shot 17' up on a tree stand with a north wind rocking everything around. In half light. I asked for it. Sigh.

"and a pair of AnnaUndercover's scented panties."

Double sigh...

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

Drifter, wow, what a wonderful long gun!. hope you get it. imagine the fun you'll have with that one!

Oh yeah Godot, I meant to add: I mentioned videoing the jammin'!

remember when I was a kid, probably when you were a kid too, Christmas always meant the family and friends pictures! and then, the cameras were complex gadgets so usually the pics were taken by one of the uncles, Dad, or a Grandpa. because, of course, back then it was men who conquered the gadgets. glad that's not so today [smirk].