LJWorld.com weblogs bearded_gnome

Hearse in a roundabout

In a hearse, there goes the dearly departed,stuck in a roundabout;round and round he goes;where he'll stop,nobody knows;hell or heaven, will have to wait;because Lawrence thinks it has traffic "woes;"slow that final funerial route.

Comments

Larry Powers 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you for your humble suggestion bearded-gnome, but I like the message of your poem. It is a quite creative metaphorical view of the those crazy round-abouts. They have one out by where I work and there is very little traffic there at all. Sometimes I wonder if they are not for 'decoration' in some places. Anyway, I like your poem.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

I apologize to KansasPoet for displacing him/her with this very humble entry. yours is yours shoould somehow stay at the top of this blog. much better.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Hurray for bearded_gnome. I am glad to see this has been posted. I agree with kansaspoet that this is creative and metaphorical. Makes us stop and think about all of the other ways we waste our lives and how we get stuck in relationships, work, how it (all) reflects on important life and death matters.

Thank you for posting!

pearlgirl 6 years, 11 months ago

i am glad to see your poetry here gnome, i hope you will keep writing and i like your poems. you wrote very beautifully and in this way you brought out an issue that you noticed around you and brought it out in humurously. keep writing.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

thank you all for your comments, and yes I sometimes wonder if the roundy's are for decoration, or to divert our attention. we have 31% broken streets and we build these things. also, these do not make intersections safer for pedestrians.

Ronda, thank you for your comments, my goal was writing very succinctly to make a point.

kansaspoet, I am flattered and grateful for your very kind comments.

pearlgirl, thank you and with your support, I keep writing.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 11 months ago

Nice...makes me want to write in my way that's

Around About

I was hit by a hearse in a roundabout. They put me in and they threw death out, Then found a hospital by the shortest route.

I was dead by then, sitting with my pal Will killed on the way to his funeral. I wonder if this city will pay our bills,

And wonder what's the best, a long or short route, depends, I guess, how your life plays out, and if you're killed or spilled in a roundabout.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

nicely done JJ. thanks. it flows from my posting rather well.

Marion, too bad you don't still have that hearse, restored. you could name your price I bet.

hearses are unique vehicles because of their function and design. there were horse-drawn hearses too.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

wonder if there are other roundabout poems lirking out there?

Ronda Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Marion - what a cool person to have a hearse. For whatever reason I have always been fascinated by them. Must be the death thang.

JJ - what a great poem! You and beaded will have to get together and do a poetry book on roundabouts - you could go before the city and read them?!?!?

See what you started bearded_gnome!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

yes, if this continues, we'll need our own blog, just on roudabout poems. now, if we could get them inscribed on the roundabouts, to be read as you drive around them...

Ronda Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Now that idea is a grand one! How much do you think it would cost? We could paint them on to begin with if we wouldn't get in trouble for vandalism!

Your job is to go out and count the roundabouts so we can figure out how many poems we need. Any guesstimates?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

wow, roundy's as vehicles for poetry. maybe there are ten? or, am I low here. now, if the roundys become poetic islands, does that justify their existance? no, I think not despite the value of poetic islands in the street to be read in that little driving interruption they enforce.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

I would have guessed fifty. Anybody out there know? There were two huge ones put in north on Kasold. Everyone needs to turn in their roundabouts.

gnome, this could turn into a full time gig for ya. Interested?

"...to be read in that little driving interruption they enforce.." or while stuck in the hearse!

Ronda Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow Marion! Way cool on those photos. Great cars.

pearlgirl 6 years, 11 months ago

so bearded_gnome, you started an interesting discussion! it seems you are all making a plan of going around and counting those vehicles. good luck with your plans.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

While round a bouts do their job Lawrence does not have a traffic problem. Speeding problem yes. Cool poem.....absolutely.