LJWorld.com weblogs Linda's Backroad Musings

Slide Shows with Digital pictures

Making a slide show of digital pictures is fun, fairly easy and usually free. If your computer is anything like mine, there is no shortage of material. So let's make a movie!

Smilebox is an online free program that only requires signing up. Be prepared for spending time trying to decide between format possibilities. By following the prompts, slide shows can be sent in an email or posted in a blog. Even though the program is free, I often pay the small charge of around $3 so there are no ads. These are perfect personalized ecards. I checked the other day and they have some great Valentines cards.

Google's free Picasa has a feature to make a slide show on their picture organization program. It uses is Microsoft's Movie Maker. Mac has a similar program. However, I like opening Movie Maker on my computer rather than in the Picasa program. If you don't have Movie Maker on your computer go to the Microsoft web site and download it for free.

Once pictures are put into the work area of the Movie Maker program, then drag them to a time line which allows different lengths of viewing time as well as transitions. Also title and credit pages can be included. The time line offers audio and video clips input. After all components of a slide show are added to the time line, then follow the prompts and the program will make the slide show for you. I use this program to upload to YouTube.

To upload movies to YouTube, you only need to register. Then from the site, follow the prompts to upload your movie you just made in Movie Maker. YouTube then gives you the code to copy and paste into your blog to share.

Picasa also has an online program called Web Albums and there is the ability to made a slide show there. I have used this program many times because I like the option to email or post on a blog the link to the online album where it can be viewed full screen. Or if the full screen view is not important, you can copy and paste to embed your sideshow in a smaller size on a blog or Facebook.

Animoto is another online program that is fun to mess around with. Go to their web site and watch the demo Valentine video. They really are simple to make too. Animoto allows 30 seconds for free. Anything longer has a minimal charge. You won't believe what fits into 30 seconds, though. I used this program to make a little slideshow of Christmas snow fun. It moves fast, but that fits some themes.

The program I used most recently for the snow storm is SmugMug. This is another online site which offers a one-month free trial. Many of it's offerings are like Picasa's Web Albums. I am trying it because of disappointment in the quality of photo processing and this site does a wonderful job, although a bit expensive but that is another topic.

If there are other slideshow programs not mentioned, please comment with the link. I'm always looking for something new.

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Linda, thanks so much for taking the time to put this blog, sharing your favorite sites and experiences with them, together. I am certainly computer disadvantaged - not having a mac or the brains to figure out much of this on my own.

I'm hoping to have time to spend checking out some of these! You may be getting an email asking for additional help.

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

I downloaded Smilebox and I already have Picassa, I just had no idea what it was for. I bought a Nikon digital yesterday and plan on having a lot of fun with it. Hopefully, one of these days you will see a slide show on my blog. Thanks.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Linda, I used Smilebox and have created a slide show. How do I now bring it into a blog?

Linda Hanney 4 years, 10 months ago

OK, Ronda, with these instructions, I am assuming you made your slideshow and have saved it. Ok, now log into your Smilebox account by typing in your email address & password when it asks in the upper right hand corner. It might remember you and already have you logged in. Then click on your email address which should be in the upper right hand corner. You will then have to log in again. It should then bring up the slideshow you made. Then across from the name of your creation should be a link which says "Post it" Click on that and it will bring up a page that has all kinds of suggestions of places for you to post it. If you want to put it on this forum scroll down the left side to the bottom where it says "Other blogs." It will then open up a window with a little box with instructions that say, "Copy and paste this HTML to embed your creation in a blog or webpage." If you do that here, it will work......I hope:) I'll be watching for it!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

I had tried all of that but it didn't show up as slide show format. I'll try again. Have you specifically used that one and posted it to a blog? Thanks, I was thrilled to make a slide show as it was! You may be getting a call. :)

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

Linda, I am doing the same thing as Ronda. I love digital cameras and computers because there is just so much that the non-expert can do with them. But, I would never have thought about having a slideshow on my blog if it had not been for you, so I do want to thank you.

Linda Hanney 4 years, 10 months ago

Mariposa, you are welcome. Would sure like to see your slide show. Ronda, here is a link to a slide show I posted here on the LJW site using Smilebox.

Give me a call if you need more help.

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, Linda, I did it. Tell me what you think. I am having so much fun with this. Thank you so much.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Okay, the proof is in the pudding! If you did it, I should be able to. I'll try again! Thanks, Linda!