LJWorld.com weblogs Linda's Backroad Musings

Morning Glory Love/Hate Relationship

We watched the sun rise from our east deck this morning. What a gentle, inspiring beginning to a day. In front of us, a Morning Glory vine was also welcoming the day with these bright blue flowers. It was beautiful.

But then, our eyes backed off from the individual flowers and focused on the total scene

A week ago, we moved the two chairs out to the edge of the deck to make room for grilling. Then we camped at Clinton for a couple days. In that short time, this is the result. The vines are invasive and probably deadly to some plants they choose as hosts. Last night I cut Morning Glory vines out of our grapes. They had wrapped themselves around stems and leaves.

One thing about this plant, it is resilient. And, at times beautiful. That can’t be all bad

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

Lovely, clear photo, Linda. Are morning glories fairly hardy or have you been having to water them morning, noon and night in this heat?

I haven't had any for quite a few years. In years past, I enjoyed having them mixed with moon flowers so I could enjoy blooming vines day and night.

Linda Hanney 4 years, 4 months ago

Thanks, Ronda. Morning Glory vines must love heat and lack of moisture--they're thriving with no water. Ahh, moon flowers. I should plant some.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I've always planned to have a white garden in one area of the yard but I haven't quite gotten there yet. It'd be beautiful under a full moon!

Hope you're getting lots of rain. Good to know about the hardy nature! Nite!

David Lignell 4 years, 4 months ago

"Resilient. And, at times beautiful."

No, not bad at all. It's the recipe for a successful life (and marriage). And it's not so bad for invasive vines, either. Beautiful pictures, Linda. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Hanney 4 years, 4 months ago

Dave, thanks! Nice thoughts too. Tange, you have the right idea, they need direction and nurturing rather than, in my case, probably planted by birds and allowed to randomly grow around and over what is available.

geoismeo 4 years, 4 months ago

I planted moonflowers this year and all of them died. I don't know if it was bugs, some chemical in the lattice or what. I kept them watered and cared for and had a few start to climb but I would find the stems severed.

Linda Hanney 4 years, 4 months ago

Geoismeo, I know Marsha Henry at Henry's Plant Farm west of Lawrence has a beautiful display of moonflowers. You might visit with her. I've never grown any but do enjoy their beauty.