LJWorld.com weblogs Linda's Backroad Musings

Freezing Corn on a Hot Day

Almost two bushels of corn and that is only half of it. Time to begin the harvest that started here.

Our process:

First, we locate our propane turkey fryer and the big stainless steel stew pot we purchased to make Frogmore Stew. (Which, by the way, sounds pretty good right now with all the fresh vegetables.) This setup will provide boiling water to blanch the corn.

I dig out a huge muck bucket, scrub, run a disinfectant clothe over it and rinse again just to make sure, then add three gallon milk cartons of ice and water.

It is best to get the corn from the garden to the table or freezer quickly. So, we pick and immediately shuck and wash the corn to get as much of the silk off as possible.

By then, the water is boiling. The pot has a basket so we fill it half full and drop in the boiling water. Most information says to blanch sweet corn four minutes. That time seems too long for our tender ears. We end up leaving them in for only one minute. In that time, they taste done.

Then comes the trick. Dumping the hot corn immediately go into the ice water without a burn or scald. After time to cool in ice, drain and slice kernels off with a sharp knife, bag and spread about in the freezer.

Family arrives to help around 3:00 pm and by 5:00 we were mostly finished except for the cleanup. It went smoothly. And in a couple days it will be even better now that we have the routine.

The day was hot but maybe that memory plus the tasty homegrown corn will add a little warmth to cold winter days in only a few short months.

Comments

Ronda Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

Linda, does it work at all to freeze the corn raw and do the cooking once you are ready to consume? I know some corn is so tender it literally can be eaten as is.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I know when it is frozen fresh it is at its best. I zap mine in the microwave for a minute or two and go from there, but I am not doing the amount you are.

Still waiting for that stew, btw! ;)

Linda Hanney 5 years, 5 months ago

Ronda, I've tried not blanching and it seems to develop an off taste in the freezer. Perhaps if it was eaten within a few months, it would be OK. Careful blanching and cooling seems to work best for us. This would be the time of year to cook up a batch of Stew. Everything is fresh.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I should try the recipe since I still have not received that invitation...I don't hold my breath for long or well! :)

I know it seems that everyone I know does blanch their corn before freezing so it appears it must be a valid concern....off taste if not done properly. Thanks!

Kathy Getto 5 years, 5 months ago

Linda:

I've been making the delicious Gullah Frogmore Stew since I met a gal in college from S. Car. It is wonderful and would be good this time of year. If I remember, it is traditionally eaten as a celebration for the harvest. You will love it Ronda, I'm sure. Thanks for the tips on corn prep!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

Even more incentive to make and try it, Kathy! Thanks, and I'll be sure to come back and let you know how we enjoyed it. I have some down time with weekend (children out of town), so it will be a good time for me to make it with fresh produce from the Farmer's Market! ;)

Kathy Getto 5 years, 5 months ago

Good! Be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand - it's messy. Perfect with cornbread and sweet potato pie with a crunchy pecan topping!! Makin' me hungry.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 5 months ago

Linda,

Thanks for the tip about submerging the corn in the ice water after blanching. It makes a lot of sense.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

Kathy, now that is a full meal deal...healthy, filling, and out of sight yummy...I am game for your suggestions.

Hey, Alia!

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi, Ronda. Hope you and your family are doing well. I know your son leaves before long for the service. You must be appreciating all these days leading up to his departure.

David Lignell 5 years, 5 months ago

Recipes beyond scrambled eggs and cheese burgers generally confuse me, but the link to Frogmore Stew looks delicious!