LJWorld.com weblogs Linda's Backroad Musings

Recipe Mom's legacy

As I write this, I am looking at a discolored, ingredient stained recipe card. Unfortunately, it is not dated, but I think I copied in the 60's when we were married. Mom made these cookies every Christmas and her name is on the recipe card because I put it there. However, Mom named it "Louise's Filled Ice Box Cookies." Louise was a neighbor. Even so, in my mind it is Mom's recipe so it is a little piece of her history for me.

I have many of Mom's recipes in her own writing in several recipe boxes. (Does anyone use these anymore) This might be the year to get them out and share. Mom no longer cooks or is able to attend our Holiday celebrations. The recipes will allow her warm, loving presence among us. And something to tell her about when we visit.

We might even find the original of this one.

Mom's Filled Ice Box Cookies

Filling:
1 cup black walnuts, chopped
1 lb. dates, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
Mix and boil two minutes & cool

Dough:
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 butter
1/2 cup Crisco
3 eggs
1 teas. vanilla
Mix together and add
4 1/2 cup flour
1 teas. soda
1/2 teas. salt

Cream sugar and shortening thoroughly. Add beaten eggs, vanilla and flour. Take 1/2 dough at a time, roll about 1/4 inch thick, spread filling over it and roll like jelly roll. Wrap in wax paper and put in ice box over night. Cut in 1/4 inch slices. Bake at 350 10-12 minutes.

Comments

ilovetocook 5 years, 1 month ago

Linda,

I also use many of mom's old recipes and love seeing her handwriting and the food stains accumulated through years of cooking for our family. My mom died in 1983, but her memory is invoked every time I use one of those her recipes to make family favorites, such as sour cream chocolate cake or molasses cookies.

Linda Hanney 5 years, 1 month ago

ilovetocook--those cards are precious. Even now in the age of computers, I like to have friends and relatives write our their recipes.

Mom is still alive, but our communication with her is limited. Sometimes something familiar makes her smile. I'll be taking a few of these cookies to her on Christmas Day.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

Linda, I'll bet your mom will communicate a smile in your direction when she bites into one of those cookies!

Enjoy your time with her. I personally prefer the chocolate smeared pages over Internet recipes. I know they've been tried and more likely to be true. :)

merry christmas!

DennisAnderson 5 years, 1 month ago

We have a laminated index card in my Grandmother's handwriting of a recipe for butter cookies. We cherish the card, and the cookies.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Linda, Mrs Roe's great, great grandmother arrived by covered wagon to homestead land they purchased from the Kaw(?) Indians near Perry. She has many of the family recipes handed down to her from her grandmother, printed in her grandmothers shaky handwriting in a box of index cards she keeps in the kitchen. One of our favorites is "banna bread" (banana bread, of course). She also has a few of the hand painted dishes brought here by covered wagon.

Linda Hanney 5 years, 1 month ago

Why do these comments bring a tear this evening? Perhaps its a time of remembrances. Thank you all for contributing.