LJWorld.com weblogs autie

Alternative to OTS

To rephrase the OTS question, "Are you going to watch the Super Bowl"? If you do, are there any traditional things you like to eat while watching the game. I imagine it will just be me and Momma at my house with a platter of baby back ribs and some baked beans. I don't really care who wins but if I have to pick, I'll be pulling for the Saints. It is not like the Chiefs or Raiders are in the thing. The bigger decision of the evening will be what to watch during halftime. I kind of like the puppy bowl on animal planet. That would be far better than that sham of a show called super bowl halftime.

Comments

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

We're going to friends with 2 lbs of boiled 21-25 shrimp, a nice bottle of champaigne and a half-gallon of Crown Royal. We'll get there about an hour before game time to take in the pre-game hype and pig out on the spread. We'll watch the first half and halftime with the Who and then come home. We'll watch the rest of the game if it's any good. If not, Masterpiece Theatre & then bed. Who Dat??? Go Saints!!! Could you imagine Mardi Gras if the Saints win? Jump back and whoa, Nellie!

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

the classics live forever. and everybody likes the classics. everybody.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 2 months ago

amen on halftime. i hope the aliens never see it.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't stand football, so I decline any invitations to super bowl parties, as I wouldn't want to be the wet blanket on the couch! Made sure to marry a man who has no interest in football, either. If I watch any sports that day, it will be NHL (partial to Red Wings and Black Hawks), but it's more likely that we'll be doing something else entirely.

As a nod to Mardi Gras, I may spend much of the weekend making to-die-for gumbo--I cannot take credit--you can find the recipe on Chuck Taggart's most excellent blog: http://looka.gumbopages.com/, along with lots of other great recipes for food & cocktails.

The gumbo truly is O My God good, but schedule at least 2 days of cooking--and be prepared to do some driving around for authentic (as much as possible in KS) ingredients. It's not cheap to make, either.

With the Saints in the Super Bowl, Chuck's gumbo would actually be a very apt dish to serve at a party this weekend, but only for the dedicated cook. Wienies swimming in BBQ sauce would be a lot less labor intensive and would probably satisfy the average beer-swilling football neanderthal (haha--just kidding, Autie--had to get in a swipe at football fans!).

As many women have noted, Superbowl Sunday is often a great day for shopping, as the stores are less crowded. I probably won't do that, but maybe we'll take the kid skating at one of the KC-area rinks or something like that. And if I don't do the gumbo pot this weekend, Sunday would be an excellent time to avoid a crowd while going out to dinner--as long as we pick a place w/o big-screen TVs & a public watch party, of course.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

111 and still ticking away.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Plus, they shouldn't wait for two or three weeks after the playoffs. They just need to T it up the weekend after the NFC/AFC championships. Then, for halftime, just have some high school bands instead of old worn out rockers or wardrobe malfunctions. There is way too much glitz. Keep the commercials. That may be the biggest reason I watch...at least the first half. Some of those are sure to make me laugh.