LJWorld.com weblogs autie

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Did you ever have one of those "ideas" that just backfired on you? Like the time I tried to defrost a frozen mouse in our microwave. We have a ball python and tried to get it used to taking already dead mice for food. I purchase a dozen pre-dispatched mice for this purpose. The snake would not take them. So knowing the snake sensed the heat in its prey, I thought maybe we should warm them up a bit. I did thaw them to room temp first, that didn't work. So I tried putting one on a light bulb to warm it up. Mrs. Autie objected to that vociferously. So...I put a frozen mouse in the microwave that I THOUGHT was set on defrost. It of course, was on the highest setting. Within twenty seconds of pushing the start button, mr. frozen mouse exploded, spewing its inner contents in the microwave. Again, Mrs. Autie was not please, nor humored by this scientific experiment. When she inquired as to why I was so friggin stupid as to put a frozen mouse in the microwave on high, I could only exclaim, "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Or like fixing certain mechanical devices with wire, duct tape or electrical tape..that never worked again. Or picking Syracuse to go to the final four. Or trying to drive through a snow drift. It just seemed like a good idea at the time. So how about it? Any rocket scientist out there that had a humorous epiphany that turned into an epiphafailure?

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Having always done most of the mechanical repairs around home, I told Mrs. Roe to take my truck to work so I could repair her windshield wiper motor. After taking away all appropriate parts, shields, etc., I turned on the wipers to "see" what was wrong. seeing nothing I shut them off to give them a '"shake" to check for something loose. Problem being, I didn't turn them off, only delay. As I reached in, the motor turned grabbing the tip of my right "pointy" finger, nearly cutting about 1/4" off the tip. With no one to call that day, I wrapped a greasy work rag around it, then had to reassemble the car to drive myself to the emergency room. Arrived with bloody rag still wrapped around hand, am sure to this day emergency room doctor made it hurt worse so I wouldn't pull that trick again

schula 5 years, 8 months ago

Autie -- great topic! I will post something a little later. I look forward to reading all the funny things everyone has tried to do.

viewfromahill 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I recently spent a Saturday night pursuing what seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I'm condemned to repeating it.

,;-)

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

view Looks like a scene from "Tremors"

8O

viewfromahill 5 years, 8 months ago

Just tryin' to mitigate your domestic fallout.

,;-D

Christine Anderson 5 years, 8 months ago

Bet I win the "boobie" prize. Five years ago was the first time I had ever owned a computer, or had one in my home. After a year of searching for a colored I-Mac(my son wanted a purple one) I finally purchased one from an individual. Between myself, my then-teenager, and two little boys dirtying the keyboard, I soon found myself with a filthy keyboard and no knowledge of how to clean it. I called the place next to George's, and Burger King. They told me to take the individual keys off the keyboard, and put them in the silverware drawers of the DISHWASHER! Yeah, I did it. And killed the keyboard. I could hear the keys hitting the inside of the dishwasher like space debris. Had a helluva time finding one compatible with a Mac then equipped with MacOs 9.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Had a couple of friends over for beers and BBq in my old one-bedroom apartment. We're grilling on the front walk, and I have to go inside to get something. Everyone else is on the other side of the door as it's swung outward, and I'm walking indoors, holding my metal bbq spatula. One of my buddies says something stupid that I take some fake offense too, and motivated by a few many beers, I lean barely around the door and wrist flick my spatula in his general direction. Apparently Ninja runs strong in me, because it smacks him right between the eyes, and he literally gushes blood in sprays all over the place, and we have to take him to LMH emergency room. Five drunken college kids spread all over the lounge like grounded fish, and my friend explaining that he was hit in the face by a flying spatula.

Four years later, I go back to the ER for some reason, and the deskie sees me and goes: "Hey, aren't you the spatula guy?" and I have to say, "yes."

riverdrifter 5 years, 8 months ago

In early February it got really warm for a few days and I propped open the hinged roof of my lab's kennel to allow for additional ventilation. She came in heat for the first time in four years and escaped that night to go swimming for canine troop ships. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Pups any day now. Sheeiit...

Ronda Miller 5 years, 8 months ago

What color of lab, river? They are great personality dogs and maybe she'll be making you some money.

Speaking of escaping into the night and going swimming, going skinny dipping the night of my graduation from the police academy seemed like a good idea until I saw a patrol car with lights spot lighting us.... ;) Well, as they say, "Oh, Well!" Streaking through a McDonalds in Topeka seemed like a good idea at the time also.... okay, so those are the only ones I can think of that I can mention....and, no, I really am not an exhibitionist..... no matter what the view.

viewfromahill 5 years, 8 months ago

"and, no, I really am not an exhibitionist….. no matter what the view."

:-\

What the...?!

Music_Girl 5 years, 8 months ago

I have no truly good stories to tell because I've always been a very cautious person but I do have a funny story about my brother. My brother is a firefighter and was helping my dad burn some trash and brush around the house. The fire kept wanting to burn out for some reason unknown to me. My brother got the bright idea of dumping gasoline from the 5 gallon can onto the fire to "get it going better". Needless to say he ended up with second degree burns on his hand and forearm as the flames traveled up the stream of gas and onto the gas can that he held. He gets heck for it even today!

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 8 months ago

There was the time when I was - eight? - when I tried to make an electromagnetic elevator from my construx pieces. Took an old stereo cord (that you used when your boombox wasn't being played by battery power) and put two bare wires into each hole. Attached the other end of the wire to the magnets, and tried to plug it into the socket. Flames and sparks shot out a good foot. To this day that outlet still doesn't work in mom's basement!

Man I'm sure I've got others, but was probably too drunk too remember them! (ah, college...) Oh yeah, like the time I tried to jump over a hammock. Back ain't been right since! Oh man, the more I think and type, the more stupid I feel!

viewfromahill 5 years, 8 months ago

The burning anecdote, above, reminded me of the plight of an elementary school classmate who spent a weekend with his father removing poison ivy from their rural property. They had been very careful to avoid contact, wearing gloves, etc. But then they decided to dispose of the plants by burning them. A simple gust of wind had bathed my friend in the smoke, and, when he reappeared at school several days into the week, he was unrecognizable, with only eye-slits where eyes once were. Thankfully, he would recover completely in the days to follow.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Reminds me of when I was swallowing goldfish to show it could be done. Another idiot tried it and started gagging. Seems he tried to swallow them tail first. (Fins lay down head first, stand up tail first). Fortunately we were able to get him to gag it up....................

riverdrifter 5 years, 8 months ago

Nine pups, all beautiful black diamonds. Ronda, this chocolate's lineage carries a very strong black pigmentation gene, as most all do. I'll be giving these away for shots & dewclaw removal cost. They should be great dogs. Hoping for a lab father, lots are in the neighborhood. Momma is one hell of a gun dog -and very popular with the neighborhood canine residents... Yep, just a little fresh air there for the ol' potlicker -seemed like a good idea...

Ronda Miller 5 years, 8 months ago

river, you are giving the pups away for a small fee of around 50.00 or 100.00? Curious. I am sure they are lovely. Potlickers need fresh air...ideally nightly..... ;)

roe...was having you putting on the sombrero an example of "It seemed like a good idea at the time".......did we embarrass you? ;O