LJWorld.com weblogs autie

GAC day

It was 133 years ago today, George Armstrong Custer for a second time split his command into two columns. He rode off with five companies as Major Reno approached the encampment. Of course, no one knew what happened to George and his command until the next day.

Generally speaking history has branded GAC as an incompetent fool for making such a bold yet stupid error in judgment. Though some may branded him a pompous, self serving dolt, others may use words like bold, intrepid, dashing as he was the youngest breveted major general in the civil war. He had a number of horses shot out from under him. His brother Tom, was one of the few in history to win two Congressional Medals of Honor.

So, what would you have done if it had been you that fateful day in Montana? Attack an enemy of unknown strength? Consolidate your force in a holding/blocking action? Gone fishing in the Little Big Horn creek?

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

From Wikipedia;

USMA Cadet George Armstrong "Autie" Custer, ca. 1859

From where you look at Little Big Horn historically, 'Autie' Custer was undergunned and needed a couple of these, or the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho Indians didn't

Seriously autie, are you related?

;-)

passionatelibra 5 years, 6 months ago

Since I am Apache I will say that if I had been around I probably would have been extremely pissed off and torturing/killing to defend my people.

But I stink at history and I am still just learning about my heritage so I could be wrong...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

After the battle, it was discovered that GAC was wearing an Arrow shirt. (not the oldest joke in the world, but close to it)

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

The Little Bighorn was on a trade route....

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

Isn't Custer buried at Ft. Leavenworth?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

very good question Autie.
his wife is especially interesting, and she published at least one book.

I always wondered how much of Clausewitz GAC had been taught at West Point.

he certainly earned and deserved every honor in the civil war. many in the U.S. Army were cashiered after the civil war, and the remaining force was tiny in comparison, many officers lost rank/commands in that time.

personally, I think with or without recon/scouts' info, he made a huge mistake splitting his force.

and, what about the rumored affair between Major Reno and Mrs. GAC?