LJWorld.com weblogs autie

GAC day

It was 133 years ago today, George Armstrong Custer for a second time split his command into two columns. He rode off with five companies as Major Reno approached the encampment. Of course, no one knew what happened to George and his command until the next day.

Generally speaking history has branded GAC as an incompetent fool for making such a bold yet stupid error in judgment. Though some may branded him a pompous, self serving dolt, others may use words like bold, intrepid, dashing as he was the youngest breveted major general in the civil war. He had a number of horses shot out from under him. His brother Tom, was one of the few in history to win two Congressional Medals of Honor.

So, what would you have done if it had been you that fateful day in Montana? Attack an enemy of unknown strength? Consolidate your force in a holding/blocking action? Gone fishing in the Little Big Horn creek?

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

very good question Autie.
his wife is especially interesting, and she published at least one book.

I always wondered how much of Clausewitz GAC had been taught at West Point.

he certainly earned and deserved every honor in the civil war. many in the U.S. Army were cashiered after the civil war, and the remaining force was tiny in comparison, many officers lost rank/commands in that time.

personally, I think with or without recon/scouts' info, he made a huge mistake splitting his force.

and, what about the rumored affair between Major Reno and Mrs. GAC?

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

prospector (Anonymous) says…

If only Comanche could have talked.…

If the incident had never happened, we would be saying who?"

Marion writes:

George Custer was headed for more stars and perhaps all the stars on the flag and it is quite likely that we would have heard from him and remember him quite differently.

"All the stars" refers to all the stars on the Flag as Custer was considered to be the front runner in the race for the presidential nomination of.......................

..the Democrat party....

and would quite likely have carried the nation and swept his party into the White House.

How different history might have been!

Autie is correct; Custer was a Brevet Bigadier General at 22, a Brevet General at 25, Colonel General of Volunteers in 1865; during the Civil War never lost a command, never lost the Colors, never lost a battle, was the first American officer to receive the surrender of The Army of Virginia and was present as an observer at Appomattox.

Like him or not, he was a man of his time and a genuine war hero.

Not that his treatment of the Indians was right, it was treatment that about 90% of the population agreed with at the time and was unfortunately also fairly effective as that treatment eliminated about 90% of the Native American population.

Custer hadn't counted on one of the great military strategists, one as brilliant as himself.

I refer of course to Tȟašúŋke Witkó; Crazy Horse but that is another story for another day.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

"Disappearded"?

Just had little interest in the blog until a few of you decided to get cute, so on with the show!

I would have paid attention to my Indian Scouts and gotten the Heck out of there, so there is nothing more to discuss as the notorious "Last Stand" would never have happened.

Would have paid attention to the research and acted on it.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

He is buried in the national cemetery at West Point.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Hmm...I think Custer is either at West Point or back home in Monroe, MI.

jaywalker 4 years, 9 months ago

Isn't Custer buried at Ft. Leavenworth?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

The Little Bighorn was on a trade route....

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps Custer accidently found himself on a trade route.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

It is after lunch. Marion should be napping. I would imagine he will be up around three. Unless he is googling Custer and figuring out how he lost because all his troopers had swine flu or polar bear infections.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

After the battle, it was discovered that GAC was wearing an Arrow shirt. (not the oldest joke in the world, but close to it)

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

"If you are related to GAC or something, please don't take the Marion thing personal."

Did Marion get dissapearededed?

Good post, Autie. It is also National Handshake Day. Coeincidence? I think not.

passionatelibra 4 years, 9 months ago

Since I am Apache I will say that if I had been around I probably would have been extremely pissed off and torturing/killing to defend my people.

But I stink at history and I am still just learning about my heritage so I could be wrong...

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Seriously autie, are you related? Some days I wonder Roe, some days I wonder. I've just always had a fascination with the man. He was a paradox to say the least.

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

From Wikipedia;

USMA Cadet George Armstrong "Autie" Custer, ca. 1859

From where you look at Little Big Horn historically, 'Autie' Custer was undergunned and needed a couple of these, or the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho Indians didn't

Seriously autie, are you related?

;-)

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

If only Comanche could have talked.

If the incident had never happened, we would be saying who? We loved our martyrs and the press of the day did not have 24/7 info, so facts are short for the account and lore prevails.

Recon? Yep, look before you leap. I kind of see GAC as a way back days Marion.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

In so much that the Lakota had never before come together in such large numbers, I can only imagine the surprise. And they were are gloated by a previous victory over Crook's column just a couple of weeks earlier. I believe I might have reconned the situation at bit further.