LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

It's Halloween Night in Your Neighborhood

The wind picks up leaves

swirls them around

teens commit pranks

while adults act like clowns

You make chicken chili

heat up spiced cider

put beer in the fridge

stock up on candy

Carve pumpkins to

look like a fright

bring in the cat

turn on the porch light

Get in your car

Dirt roads wind you around

Take you far out of town

Where haystacks seem bleak

Until scarecrows peek

from around them!

Witches on horned owls

screech high overhead

Demons pop up from

under the hood

Clouds cover the moon

You hear a loud thud

You have a flat tire

in three feet of mud

You arrive back at home

It's time to disrobe

You sneeze once or twice

You've caught a damn cold!

Have one last beer

with your favorite candy

Pull on warm socks

Put your feet up.

Oops, turn out the light

Blow out the candle

Put out the cat

Spirits creep in, see you're asleep

Let themselves out with

hardly a peep.

Your snoring is loud

you're all tuckered out

Your dog jumps into bed

howling in fright!

Realization sinks in

it's gonna ba a long frekin night

On Halloween night in your neighborhood

(10-28-2007 - Ronda Miller)

Comments

Lawrence Morgan 2 years ago

It's a very nice poem. Definitely perfect for Halloween. Thank you!

However, because Reader's Blogs are no longer on the front page (just like my most recent blog on The World Series), most readers will never know about this poem or that it ever existed.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Roses is red,

Punkins is yella.

The zombie at my house,

is one smelly fella.

(RoeD - 10-31-2012)

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Okay, punkins is orange . . .

But what the hell rhymes with THAT?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

Okay, how about this?

I am going to bob for an or-ange,
With best pal Jessica L-ange,
Who unfortunately has the m-ange.

So, what do you think?

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

I'm impressed! There are a few words that are just about impossible...

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

Kansas, it's true. I didn't know about your blog. Thanks for your kind words though and have a terrific Halloween!

Roe. I've seen a few off color pumpkins - yours can be whatever color you want! I like the whitish gray ones - they seem so contrary and scary!

bevy 2 years ago

Nice work, Ronda. Thanks for sharing it again!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

Thank you Ronda, I hope you are impressed with yourself for writing that, because it is very, very good. So, what kind of beer does go best with candy corn? Isn't there a really sweet liquor that would be wonderful with chocolate candy?

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

I actually don't drink much of anything but from past halloweens I've been aware that some residences give adults a beer and children candy. It must have been a wealthy neighborhood! ;()

I'm never too impressed with myself, but this holds fond memories. It was one of the first pieces I wrote as a citizen journalist.

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

Thanks for your support, bevy! I was happy to find it online through poets showcase as I'd misplaced my copy.

Happy Halloween!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

One of my favorites. Say, I was just wondering if, maybe, when someone wrote something like don't speak to me again, they meant like for five minutes but it didn't quite, erm, cough, come out that way, could that be reversed, or will the moderator intervene? Just wondering?
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

I am wearing it even as we write at Maizeys Place. Bars have to have wifi now you know You can get a free beer at Maizeys if you can tell me if I am wearing it as a bangle, earring, or piercing, and if it is a piercing, where is it? Be warned, this is a trick question. ;--)

Jay_lo 2 years ago

For a brief instant the fairy princess

with the oversized gown

balances on wobbly heels

upon the step of the web strewn porch

The goblins and superheroes

pay scant attention as she pitches forward.

Star tipped wand escapes her grasp

And plastic pumpkin rolls down the walk

spilling its hoard of

Halloween treasures

into the darkness.

The skinned knee oozes

slightly thickened dampness

through the sparkly dress

and princess tears roll

down reddened cheeks.

Somewhere in the deepening darkness

of the hallowed eve

her plight draws a gasp

from the creatures of the night.

The hollow eyed ghost

and the wide eyed owl

reply in unison

to echo her cries

Boo! Hoo!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

That is so good, I can just see what is happening and I care about that little girl. Please tell me that someone helped pick her candy up and that she got it all back.

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

I'm so glad I've heard you read, Jay. Now I hear every poem you post in your voice. Very cool! Happy Halloween!

riverdrifter 2 years ago

"Oscar, you look worse than I do." "That's because I've been feeling well." What's Halloween without a little Spike Jones? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3iyf...

Hope you are feeling better Ronda!

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

Thanks, river. I'm beginning to think I'll survive at this point. Hopefully I'll recover without the help of an antibiotic. It's what I generally strive but fail to do. I hope the rest of you are avoiding this super bug.

riverdrifter 2 years ago

I'm blacked out for trick-or-treaters, not many kids in this old part of town. I have friends who have a ranch in the middle of nowhere in SW Kansas and when I heard that they got more treaters than I did I gave it up! This spook eyeballed my trail cam a few years ago. Aiiieeee!

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

Cool photo, River. Did you ever figure out what it was?

Btw, is there any means to upload photos to this site direct from an iPhone?

riverdrifter 2 years ago

You might direct your question to Mark Potts at mpotts@ljworld.com.

That's a windigo spirit from the north woods driven south by climate change.

OK, it's a whitetail fawn mugging the camera. I probably had pizza or something on my mitts when I touched the cam or perhaps the infrared glow was attracting it.

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

Thanks, River, for all the information. It's a cool photo. I'll ask Mark about the photos! ;()

classclown 2 years ago

"You make chicken chili"

Ugh. Two words that don't belong together in a sentence. Yes I'm aware of the whole concept of white chili, or as you call it chicken chili, but seeing as to how chili is a meat (that means beef) dish, I see that as a crime against nature. So call your concoction whatever you want, but know in your heart that it's not chili.

My mother in law made meatless chili once. She was real proud of it. Though she got mad every time I referred to it by its more commonly known name, beans.

Ronda Miller 2 years ago

Lol. I think of chili as in flavor, not how much beef, pork, chicken or beans are involved. Where is your love of variety? Only liking meat chili is similar to saying you only like your eggs boiled. There are few chili recipes I haven't liked. My least favorite though would be one with only ground beef. I really enjoy veggie chili with tofu too. I didn't like corn in chili until more recently and now that is acceptable if there isn't too much of it. And my chicken chili doesn't necessitate white beans - although that's quite good - it is more of a tri bean affair.

And this is some good chili weather coming up!