LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

In a Perfect World

Friends of mine seem surprised, and certainly questioning, when they learn I'm pro life. The questions my stance, which is a life style choice not a political siding, garner include the standard ones. I'm asked why I feel it's okay to tell someone else what they have to do with their body - my response is that I'm not telling anyone what they should do with their own body, just what they shouldn't do to a body too small and defenseless to stand up for itself.

Hasn't that been the American way since the beginning of the American dream? Don't Americans put themselves into harms way and travel across the sea to protect those who don't have the physical abilities to defend themselves against cutting swords or toxic poisons another entity uses on them?

It's easy for me to answer the 'when life begins' question. My response is that as a human development major I was taught that life begins with the zygote. I believe that.

I appreciate people come from different belief systems, lifestyle choices, opinions, cultures and religions.

In a perfect world the smallest form of human life would be cherished, protected, coddled, nourished. Once that perfect world of respect for the most fragile of human life begins, then our climate of a world at war begins to change.

Our focus shifts and we begin to look inward towards the smallest movement, the slightest sound of a beating heart.

I don't want or expect the reverse of our present culture where women for the most part retain secondary rights in respect to equal pay, sexual bias, and exploitation. They don't need to be put on a pedestal.

But our culture would be vastly improved if our focus was placed on the family - the smallest of life's form was cherished to the ultimate end of giving it the optimal in physical, emotional and educational care. Women wouldn't be subjected to the fear of rape or incest because they would be cherished as the sacred houses where honored life begins.

In a perfect world no one would need to defend their reasons NOT to kill an unprotected life.

I know we don't live in a perfect world, but let us begin doing what we can. It starts at home - it begins within.

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Hmmm . . . As all pregnancies I have been involved with are accounted for . . . and doing fine, thank you. And . . . since I have never been and it is extremely unlikely I ever will become pregnant I choose to stay out of and form no opinion for the wombs that do.

Me thinks your blog title nails it. "In a Perfect World", many things we deal with would be different. As it sits, we have to deal with the world we have. Improve it? Yeah . . . maybe. Perfect it? Never happen.

Good to see you blogging Ronda!

Think I need to get the corn in the popper for this one . . . ;-)

Ronda Miller 2 years, 1 month ago

Roe, does corn in the popper hold a gender based subliminal message? ;()

Yes, this blog is meant as fantasy writing in a sense. But I think we have to start somewhere in making changes within our society - one that becomes more and more violent. I don't believe abortion is a religious issue or a political one - it shouldn't be overseen by government - there shouldn't be a need for the government to intercede. Life, minuscule delightful fragile life in all its pain glory beauty profundity complexity and simplicity should be embraced.

Why are our blogs buried? I'm also having people tell me they are making comments that aren't showing up.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Free the Blogs. End discrimination. First page status for blogs.

All my corn has already popped, so I enthusiastically endorse women's right to choose. And if they choose the right cowboy, well, let's just say sometimes shootin' blanks at target practice will get the highest score if you sea where I'm sailin.'

Armstrong 2 years, 1 month ago

Ronda, the following is what a liberal meltdown looks like. Enjoy

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

Free the blogs, please! Perhaps the ljworold could catagorize them, as in political, general and whack-job.

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh, and Ronda, to address your blog, I always channel this topic into a matter of privacy. Inotherwords, what goes on with, say, your daughter and her doctor is no business of mine. Whether it's a sore throat or a pregnancy, it's not my business. None.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

nicely written indeed!

privacy?

all well and good, but who speaks for the privacy and rights of the weakest, most vulnerable, least able to speak, among us?

in our culture we decree a death penalty for rape, death for the resulting baby who is the innocent, when the rapist often goes on to commit rape again.

the baby is the innocent. if the life is indeed a real life, then how is it correct to compo8und the crime of rape with the killing of an innocent, and one that often that goes on to shelter the perp?

thanks Ronda! you display courage in posting this.

Godspeed to you.
now, get some other things straightened out.

Jay_lo 2 years, 1 month ago

A perfect world

And what it means

To different people

Are different things

To some perfect is

All lending a hand

To all those in need

And helping them stand

To others perfect means

That for their own sake

They get to hold on

To what they grab and take

But most of us fall

Somewhere in the middle

We like to take some

And to give back a little

It's not hard to see

That there's those who feel

They haven't the time

For tiny hand or small heel

But for us who feel sad

Whose hearts are torn

We can't help but cry

At tiny lives left unborn

We wish somehow

That each one had

The chance to know

A mom and dad

And grandparents too

Whose faces do beam

When little ones show

Up on the scene

We just had ours

A few days to snuggle

Even if their small noses

Did run and did bubble

Our world is perfect

When little ones we can hold

Though they left us both

With the perfect cold

Yes we know they're not perfect

Nor their parents, nor we

But together we make

A perfect family

Ronda Miller 2 years, 1 month ago

Good comments, friends and 'freaks'. We all know who we are. ;()

Ret, what would you prefer the term pro life to be changed to? I agree that it sounds strange. I mean, who isn't pro life. I am a life coach not a death coach even if I'm coaching someone through their final days of life.

Gnome, it's nice to see you out and about. I hope all is well.

Jo_lo, some fine word choices you shared. Your poetry always goes to the core and into the heart - thank you!

River, would you be so close mouthed if your neighbor was being ripped apart? I don't think so. For those of us who are 'pro life' that is exactly what is transpiring. I would think you'd be the first one to go to a defenseless persons defense. I do agree with your suggestion about blog positioning however. ;()

Roe, make me a sign and I'll march on ljworld and company! Hehe

Ken Lassman 2 years, 1 month ago

Ronda, I don't claim to have any more insight on this topic than the next grown zygote, and as it has a deeply personal component to pretty much all of us, feel respectful toward all conclusions in this area as I believe they are all heartfelt.

Given this premise, I'd like to share just one thought on it all. When I hear folks say that life begins with the formation of the zygote, my mind always goes back to my school biology classes, where I learned the details of, well, biology, if you get my drift. And I clearly remember learning that both the egg and the sperm were just as alive as the zygote, right? So life, as life has been there all along, --right?-- preceding even the joining of the sperm and the egg, going back, I suppose, for millions, even billions of years. It's certainly can be seen as a sacred type of realization, but I don't see the zygote gaining a special status just because a couple of living cells joined and could eventually develop into a living human after 9 or so months if all the conditions are right. That zygote aborts for all kinds of reasons on its own, and certainly the owner of that womb may have some legitimate reasons to add to that list, many of which I refuse to cast judgement on.

Well, 'nuff said: this discussion has been uncharacteristically civil, considering the topic and I don't want to change the nature of that discourse! Thanks for sharing your perspective and creating a small, gentle forum for the rest of us to share as well.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 1 month ago

Doug, thank you for your comment and your awareness of the civility of this blog. It is indeed a touchy and tender topic.

While I wouldn't disagree with your statement that sperm and egg may be termed 'living', until they join and become zygote they aren't on their way to development as a human - hence human development of the fetus and infant.

Do the egg and sperm react to measurably stimuli that can be discernible as pain? I don't know the answer to that. I do know the embryo does. The movie The Silent Scream was a life changer for me and my belief system - so many things in my life experiences have been. I don't believe there is a magical moment when the soul enters the body - I believe it begins to grow and develop along with physical makeup. . So I don't think aborting at one age or stage is acceptable over another age.

As a woman who has miscarried, I believe it is one in four pregnancies, it isn't an easy process mentally or physically. I think of my infant often as do numerous other families who have lost an infant early.

Thanks Doug!