LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

How I missed the 138th running of The Kentucky Derby and safeguards to win The Preakness

We all have our specific superstitions on what we think will help a winning team, or in today's case, the horse we want to cross the finish line first in The Preakness.

As a four year old living with an aunt and uncle in Ft. Collins, Colorado, it meant I rode my stick pony for days in advance of the race. When that stick pony tripped me up and I landed chin side down on the cement behind our house and had to go to the emergency room for stitches, I demanded my aunt burn my pony in the backyard incinerator. Fast forward three years, I rode my Shetland Pony, Blackie - short for Black Beauty, in preparation of the big races. When he bucked me off and then fell on top of me (I forgot to release the reins as I toppled head first), I wanted my Grandmother to burn him as well. Luckily she did not and told me to get back in the saddle.

More recent years have found me watching The Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes in pool halls, at the houses of friends, even in airports willing to risk missing my flight in order to see which horse crossed the finish line first.

The past several years find me likely to watch and ride from the comfort of my own home. I don my silk burgundy racing shirt, massage and dress my favorite steed (we wear matching bandanas), and begin chomping at my bit in anticipation as the newscasters drone on in pre race information.

So how did I miss the 138th running of The Kentucky Derby? I was dressed for action, ready for the start of the race and already mounted on RoBoCop (my steed of the hour). I was relaxed and confident that today I'd be on the winning horse. I rode through the opening announcements, was beginning to sweat and salivate...then ......we were off and running. I moved as one with RoBoCop, and then it happened, seconds before the race ended, a wrong move and I was in the zone, totally unable to comprehend or look at the ongoing race before me.

Today's safeguards? RoBoCop stays closeted. I'm riding Creative Cause. I can feel Daddy Nose Best breathing hard as he comes up behind me on the inside....we move closer to the rail....Teeth of the Dog begins to nip at Creative Cause's hindquarters.....it only spurs him further ahead...... somehow RoBoCop breaks out of his holding pen and begs me to ride him.....I toss a match at him as I throw my hands high into the air and look in the direction of the winner's circle.

What are your superstitions about winning a race or game? Which horse are you riding to the win in today's race?

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

My old friend/coworker back in the '80's said his wife placed bets based on how much she liked the jockey's outfit. He said she always won far more often than he did.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't doubt that in the least. I certainly know people who place their bets based on which jockey is riding as well. They can really make or break a win. Others like to discuss trainers or a specific horse's bloodline. There are many variables to factor in. You can have a damn fine horse who might be having an off day. As we known from other sports, an off day makes the difference of a win or a loss.

Will you be watching today?

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

I've seen little old ladies bet on a horse because they liked its color. Nevermind that it was a 30-1 shot. I've decided on a 9,6,11 trifectecta box from the morning line. As usual I'm going to let the big money come flooding in on the favorites and will put down a couple of exactas later this afternoon. An exacta hit on the bet-down favorites might buy you a hot dog and a beer today. I think one of the outliers is going to hit the board and one of the favorites will mail it in and therein hangs the tale. Ronda, watch the race today from an easy chair. Or with me.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

I thought you were out of town....

You're the one I run to when it comes to horse sense and stats....I hope this evening finds you dining on lobster and washing it down with champagne.

Did the little old lady win? Hehe. (ok, say that as a whinny)

I know people who vote for President based on how elderly and sexy he is - if he's a war hero, even better. :)

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

If the 9,7,6,5 trifecta box hits it will probably one one of lowest trifecta payoffs in history because a gazillion folks are gonna have that on one of their tickets -just like me!

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm clueless, what's the lowest it ever paid?

Do you have someone at this race placing last minute bets for you? I'm ready to watch them line up. Anticipation is driving me crazy!

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

I like I'll Have Another on top (1st) and underneath (2nd) with Went the Day Well, Creative Cause and Bodemeister in an exacta wager, So: exacta part-wheel box 9 with 5,6,7. That covers 9-5, 9-6, 9-7, 5-9, 6-9, and 7-9. Now to come up one with a mid to longshot.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

This wil be a great one to watch. Interesting information about the jockeys.

Mid to long shot....pick a horse, any horse. ;)

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

4-wide trifecta box 9,2,6,7. That's it, my money is down (gone?!). Bode is now 2-1 and IHA is 3-1.

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

I'll never understand why they always sing "Oh Christmas Tree" before this race.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

Lol. Tis annoying. They should sing a great song like Home on the Range...

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

Whoa!!!! Quite the race. May just have a Triple Crown winner this year!

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

The Triple Crown lives and show me the money!

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

So, River, how do you like the song, I'm in the money....

Congrats on picking some winners! Lobster and Champagne it is. Enjoy!

Ronda Miller 2 years, 7 months ago

Lol, they can both run the course fast on occasion.

You just gave me a fun idea for the next race blog though.

OldGuysRule 2 years, 6 months ago

I thought is was very freudian as well. Maybe you get a gold star.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 6 months ago

A gold or silver star will do Occasionally a pat on the back, it's true I write for fun, to make people think Although some say I'm on the brink Of taking a blog to far

OldGuysRule 2 years, 6 months ago

Choosing horseflesh has always been an art for me. Presentation, spirit, & muscle tone is all important. I've even used smell to make a decision. I once had this sorrel mare that kept all the spirit of a young filly. What a gal she was!

At times her appitite was insatiable. This girl was a very free spirit that was almost beyond the control of any man. Weirdest thing though, when I was with her, she was as calm as could be. There was a trust & respect between the two of us that I can't explain, but you know it when it's there.

We had a lot of fun. I miss her and those days on the farm.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 6 months ago

Was this a mare or a filly? Yes, a good ride is irreplaceable. When the match is made, it's as if the two once separate animals blend as one. I'll bet you miss riding your sorrel. Did she take command or did she command you? Was she a fence jumper?

OldGuysRule 2 years, 6 months ago

Since foaling twice - she was technically a mare. Oh, but what a spirit she had. She threw me once, but I got back on. We were one after that. She was a cutting horse. Good at trail and western pleasure too.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 6 months ago

Leading my Shetland pony behind the windbreak Down to our pond we'd pretend was a lake Cottonwoods, elm, a mulberry bush or two The freedom to grow our bodies changed Childhood through teens the seasons flowed An endless summer until we were grown running wild and free pleasureable memories brought out to share with a like minded Spirit who stopped by today