LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Mike Finnigan (Phantom Blues Band) and Monophonics: a must see, The Bottleneck @ 8 pm tonight

If you've lived in Lawrence for any length of time, you've heard the stuff legends are made from. Amazing keyboardist, song writer and vocalist Mike Finnigan (he originally landed in Lawrence to attend KU on a basketball scholarship) makes it big.  Ok, make that huge!

Back in the day, we danced to Finnigan and Wood and held our breath. We knew he was bound to leave us. And we wanted him to. He had music to share with the likes of Bonnie Raitt, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Etta James, Taj Mahol, Cher, Ringo and Leonard Cohen (yes, I picked a few at random).

Finnigan and Woods hit, Crazed Hipsters, is a frekin classic.

I was thrilled to hear Finnagin and his band were playing at The Bottleneck last night and again tonight. I hadn't heard him play for years.

He may be the old kid on the block, but he brought a new kid with a newbie old sound along  His son, Kelly Finnigan, and band Monophonics (mono phonics.com/).

The pride with which father introduced his son last night was obvious - and for good reason. Kelly has stage presence, voice, soul and talent to die for.  He may not resemble his dad physically, but he inherited the music gene and then some.

In a society where offspring of famous talents (think Julian Lennon and Presley), often disappoint, Kelly surprises and just keeps bringing it. And bringing it.  His performance of My Baby Shot Me Down was my favorite of the night, but each performance was brilliant.

Monophonics isn't 'just' Kelly Finnigan - here then are the rest of the band, each one a stand out in their own right: guitarist, Ian McDonald,  Myler O'Mahony, bassist Alex Baly, saxophonist Ryan Scott, trumpeter drummer Austin Bohlman.

With voice and soul reminiscent of Joe Cocker, Kelly oozes stardom.

The Monophonics music is described as psychedelic soul - known these days as black rock.

Students, if you've completed summer finals, treat yourself to this two in one concert for $16.  If you have a final tomorrow, you know you either know it by now or you don't!

Music lovers of any generation really do not want to miss this concert.

Comments

Ronda Miller 1 year, 8 months ago

Alceste,

I'm sorry to say I just noticed this. What were your thoughts on the second band? It's a shame you were so disappointed. It sounded good to me.

Alceste 1 year, 8 months ago

Finnigans lackluster performance on July 23 was most disappointing. He and The Phantom Blues Band started the show and, I suppose, played to the crowd: short, 4min long ditties with not one single extended solo by any of these quality players. Didn't play very long; perhaps a little over an hour and then the monophonics play. Finnigan don't play that way on the west coast, but what can you expect when there are only about 150 people in front of you? Have no clue what the July 24 show was all about; or what tonight's show at Uncle Bo's in Topeka is going be about. Maybe he's saving it all for the Friday, July 27 show at Knuckleheads. Who knows? All Alceste knows is that the July 23 performace was lackluster at best. Nothing like it could have been. Then again, maybe Finnigan saves it all for them rich folk who travel on them cruises for $5grand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdyhZ... is what Alceste went to see. No brass ring.

Ronda Miller 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, it's terrific to acknowledge all the people who assist with sound, lighting and any special effects used. It's absolutely a group effort.

I'm guessing you were at Tuesday's performance? What did you think? Get your socks knocked off? ;()

Grammaton 1 year, 8 months ago

Proud of my brother working the sound board tonight.

Ronda Miller 1 year, 8 months ago

Consumer, just noticed your comment. I wish I'd have had the energy to be on the dance floor tonight but last night finally caught up with me. I hope you're there!

Ronda Miller 1 year, 8 months ago

Kernal, yiou've got that right. I'm not sure if you're talking about father, son, or each band member, but they are all amazing.
It would be hard pressed to find better musicians anywhere. The price is amazing for one band, let alone two.

I hope the place is jamming this evening.

kernal 1 year, 8 months ago

This man loves playing the music and the music loves him. If tickets are still available, the price is well worth it!

consumer1 1 year, 8 months ago

WOW!!! DOUBLE WOW!! Finnigan's music is exactly what Rhonda has stated. This guy is an amazing artist. He has made a major influence on music across the country. So many people are un-aware of the number of really talented and succesful musicians that came from the Lawrence area during the 1960's. There is a guy named Jim Stringer, who has matched licks with Eric Clapton and many, many more. This town is full of great Musician, However, since I am getting old, I can only come up w/first names, John L, excellent guitarist can be seen playing the blues/jazz and some very tasty rock licks. Paul - the original bassist from tide. If you see him play, you are assured that anyone playing with him is a fenom.