LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Sweet potato oatmeal breakfast pancakes with a spinach omelet..

When temperatures head south outside, you can find me turning up the heat inside! It's nice to even think about the joys of baking, frying and cooking 'inside' again.

So with the daily race to squeeze as many veggies and fruits into our diets as possible, here is a tasty way to start your day with three of them. (and if you're like me, you can't manage 5 - 6 daily servings let alone 7 - 10!)

Recipe for sweet potato oatmeal pancakes:

2 C old fashioned Quaker oats 3 C skim milk - place both in bowl and refrigerate overnight. Add 3 eggs - or substitute

1/2 c wheat flour

1 cooked and mashed sweet potato or butternut squash

1 1/2 teas. Baking powder

Dash of salt

1 T peanut or olive oil

1 teas. vanilla

1 T cinnamon

1/4 cup chopped pecans

Mix ingredients together and cook on lightly oiled griddle or pan. (makes about 16 - 18 small pancakes)

These are great rolled up with peanut butter spread on them and then dipped into your favorite syrup.

As breakfast sandwiches, you may place an egg, sausage patty, or omelet between two pancakes. We enjoy them with a spinach omelet as yet another means of adding a veggie. Serve with sliced cantaloupe, watermelon, or OJ.

Do you have a favorite way of getting your day started right with fruits and veggies?

Comments

schula 3 years, 3 months ago

Sounds pretty good!

For my breakfast today, I had 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal and a cup of raspberries and blackerries with some 1% milk.

Part of my lunch will consist of vegetables (green beans, carrots, red peppers) and a banana.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 3 months ago

Good morning, Jean! Yes, it's a hearty and wholesome healthy choice. I tend to eat light most mornings with a protein drink made with kale, spinach, blackberries, banana, cinnamon, low fat yogurt, vanilla, skim milk, protein powder and flax seed. It's nice to mix it up once in awhile though. And a French continental breakfast would be grand! :)

That's three servings, Lori, with bfast and lunch depending on your serving sizes. It's not easy! :).

I've not tried Kashi cereal - do you actually like it?

schula 3 years, 3 months ago

I will get more fruits and vegetables in with my supper tonight. By the end of the day I should have at least 7 - 8.

I really like the Kashi cereal. The Go Lean Crunch is really good and I also like the Cinnamon Harvest (just like shredded wheat). If I am going to eat yogurt (which you know I am not a fan of) I like to put some of the Go Lean Crunch and berries in it. Makes the yogurt tastes pretty good.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 3 months ago

Schula, you're awe inspiring! I'm having a spinach salad for lunch with hard boiled eggs I purchased from the Farmer's Market - love the bee man - apple slices, peas, grilled onions and mushrooms.

Dr. Oz recommended eating a half cup of onions daily as an olvarian cancer preventative. They also talked about eating bass and raw endives twice weekly for that purpose too.

I'll try the Kashi. I love shredded wheat.

schula 3 years, 3 months ago

Ronda -- you are awe-inspiring too! Your lunch sounds good.

We are having grilled chicken, salad and vegetables for our dinner tonight.

schula 3 years, 3 months ago

One thing about the Kashi cereal -- it is a little more expensive than other cereal. I think Target has Kashi items on sale right now -- buy 4 get the 5th one free.

broadpaw 3 years, 3 months ago

That pancake recipe sounds amazing! Will definitely be trying it this week. I'm already eating sweet potatoes and oats almost every day, and spinach several times a week...now I can fit them all into one meal! I try to eat oats every morning

My go-to lunch lately has been a baked sweet potato, along with a salad of spinach, garbanzo or red beans, fresh tomato chunks or cherry tomatoes, shredded carrot and parmesan. There isn't a ton of protein in that meal but it's got everything else: good quality carbs, lots of fiber and colorful phytonutrients. I like to add a glass of organic milk for more protein to keep me going all afternoon. The beans have some but not quite enough. As for the baked sweet potatoes, I bake several at a time and then just fridge them and pull one out to reheat throughout the week. Easy and delicious!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 3 months ago

Hi, broadpaw,

Yes, the pancakes smell like oatmeal cookies when they cooking. I've considered tossing in a few raisins and/or dark chocolate chip chunks - maybe for special occasions like every Thursday! Hehe

Your lunch sounds tasty too! Dr. Oz says we should eat 3/4 cups of sweet potatoes daily. I love them, but it isn't an easy task. Your planning ahead is very wise! I try to bake a medley of veggies weekly. I do them to save time and energy. I usually bake red potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, asparagus, and onions and garlic. They're so yummy and easy to assess.

Do you like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, etc.? They'd also boost your protein for your salad!

Let me know how you like the pancakes.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 3 months ago

Schula, oddly enough, your messages from this afternoon just came to me! :)

I appreciate the information about the sale. I've found that healthy eating can be more expensive, but it supposedly saves us a lot of money over our life span in good health. I've also found that our society is used to super sizing everything; even cereal. I've taken to using a half cup measuring cup to dish food up with so I get an accurate portion serving. Small bowls and small plates are worth their weight in gold! :)

We had meatloaf with oatmeal, cherry juice and squash mixed in, grilled potatoes and onions on the side, and sliced peaches. Yum. No one asked about the meatloaf!

jjt 3 years, 3 months ago

Ronda
It may be that you feel the need to eat these things but it should always be Bacon Tea Bacon Tea Bacon TEA BACON or maybe Kippers. The first time I had breakfast with my American wife (out) she ordered a normal fry up and as well pancakes and syrup? When the waiter arrived with the order he wanted to know where the third person was. I was soon to learn that in America they eat and drink all sorts of strange things. Why is Broccoli a specialty in a restaurant "Whats the vegetable today?" I ask "Broccoli" he/she says. Why is it always Broccoli? Even Pres Bush did not want to eat the stuff.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 3 months ago

And a good morning to you, jjt!

I was fearing you were calling me a dog when you suggested kippers as my mind was associating kibbles - not much awake yet. :)

I do have to agree that a bfast diet of kippers, bacon and tea sounds, well er, interesting. And it has the basic requirements of the Atkins plan. Protein plus fat plus carbs. Hehe. Do Brits consider tea a veggie? :)

I know a few other folk who believe bacon is a must for any breakfast, along with a large side of biscuits and sausage gravy.

I do know what you mean about broccoli. It surrounds us! I ate at 715 last night, and you'll be happy to note I had cauliflower soup, chicken livers and beets with turnips. I'm truly a farm girl at heart and love those chicken innards and root foods.
Kippers? Blindfolded with cream cheese and a shot of vodka, maybe.