LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Loku: New Form Of Poetry With Lawrence Roots Sweeps Literary World

Lawrence, Kansas is a melting pot of people and creative ideas erupting with artists, singers, song writers, performers, and entertainers of all varieties.

From this epic center of creativity explodes a new form of poetry referred to as Loku (pronounced low koo), based on the ancient Japanese form known as Haiku.

People the world over are familiar with this simplistic, yet profound, structure of 17 onji, or syllable count, structure of 5-7-5

.Other poetic forms that use a similar structure are the Katuata, Choka, Tanka, Mondo, and Sekoka.

The Katuata uses 19 sound units (onji), or syllable count, with a structure of 5-7-7.

The Mondo form is written by two poets with one person asking the question and the second supplying the answer. An example of the Mondo is as follows:

Why is there no rain

the land cries our for water

but cannot shed tears?

There will be no rain

because you wept time before

when there was some rain.

and is in the traditional 5-7-5 syllable count.

Choka is the most intricate of Japanese poems with a choice of form using either 5-7-7-5-7-7 or 5-7-5-5-7-5.

Enjoy the following example:

The Moth

there is no freedom

escaping from my cocoon

I must seek you once again

I am drawn to you

like a moth to a candle

circling nearer and nearer

the deadly flame calls

now my wings are scorched

why must my nature be so?

Teagan

The new form of poetry created in Lawrence, Kansas, known as the Loku, is a simple three word, three syllable format

.Example:"two words, three"

One interpretation of the above poem is simply, I love you, or I love thee, since love is the core value of all poetry and a universal language.

It is more difficult to write a Loku poem than it may appear.

Please spend time following the Loku format and share Loku poems of your own creation along with the meaning of your poem.

Comments

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

Care to share the meaning of your poem, multi, or is that self explanatory? lol ;)

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh, multi, you almost sneaked that one by me....Tippin' and Ronda don't count since all words must be one syllable.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

multi, thanks for all the terms of endearment! It works both ways...or as Preston says: "Going Round In Circles"...thanks for that, prospector...I hadn't heard that for too long...kick butt song!I am seeing some great input with our loku poetry. You guys are very quick to catch on...and autie is still cooking something up per usual.schula, I didn't realize you were so into poetry. Had you heard of loku before?This is for you, autie, soups on, eat!

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

autie, I totally misread this poem of yours:"add num, ber"I read it as,"add rum, beer"

schula 6 years, 2 months ago

Had never heard of loku before today but I like it

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

"I love thee?"poor girl, sadgot it badcan't blame youI've it, too... taking it to the next level: 3 x 5 poetry( just enough to fit on a note card )

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

schula, I believe it is relatively new, but you sure seem to have the hang of it. quite beautiful pieces you have written.multi as Billy Preston.....rock on, girl (hey, that works for loku also!).....I love your last entry, multi...very nice.tange, are you creating a new form of poetry? I guess just, as you say, taking this to the next level. Very nice! I think it should be three by three though.....feel love, run

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

multi, your second poem at 3:40 is disqualified...one extra syllable in salute.... You are getting rolling though...nice....."Hot babe, Salute."

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

"two words, three?"stole from me!wait the dayhell to pay(waste to lay)

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

So a person steps forward to take claim on this new breed of poetry....tange, this form has been around since chaos began........you are putting words together nicely, however...much better than you usually do....string him, alonghe stalks, her

Judy Grant 6 years, 2 months ago

Ronda, I thought Haiku with the 5-7-5 syllables was tough. Your info about Loku is new to me. I'm not sure I get it. Sitting at the computer, I thought "Eyes close, dream." Subbing for a PE teacher today brought "Gym time, joy!" Thanks.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

multi, it is more difficult than I thought.......thanks for catching me...and thanks for the buzz, tange.solomon, very nice! ;)Judy, looks to me as though you've got it! Those are both nice! Great job......

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

multi, reel/real it in...get control......fight back!!!!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Ronda: "he stalks, her"plain to seeshe stalks hedrops the lurethought, not pure... lust to cure

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 2 months ago

So hip, cool. One love, lust. Cheat me, gone. You guys are groovy. I don't think I'm doing it right.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

asleep, Your first three are right on, perfect! so him, coolone love, lustcheat me, goneI really like the last one in particular!those are terrific....hey, multi...those are funny though!tange, you leave me speechless, per usual!

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

meant to say,so hip, coolsorry asleep.....

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

I was just coming on to say,rose bloom, thorn

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

So similar, tange....great minds and hearts think alike...multi, stop that! :)

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 2 months ago

Tell lies, fakeBad words, bootOne time, nowSnow falls, crunchSun shines, glee

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

muse and kooklest we pukeget a roomspark and bloom(none too soon)

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 2 months ago

Can you use an initial? Such as:M. Phelps, cough.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

lonelane, that was a very nice poem...any particular thought behind it? ;)rachael, as far as I know you may use an initial......absolutely love your first five poems btw! great!tange, are you the muse or the kook? hehehehe (on second thought, do not answer that)....muse writes, stealcry muse, cry

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

lonelane: "red flags, signs"multi: "lone lane, win"but self taughtwith fear, fraughtnay say, not paired dreams, beamedtwo hearts, teamedtwin souls, seamed ( hey, Ronda... 3 x 3s )

lonelane_1 6 years, 2 months ago

"Any particular thought behind it"?:Friend's ship guard

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

"tange, are you the muse or the kook?"need you ask?kook and musemuse and kookeach the fuseeach the fluke

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

tange, now you are reciting poetry, muse!lonelane,good friend, shegood friends, wesafe guard, heartmuse free, soul

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't knowfast lane, slowgood friend, she?( not to me )leave me lone

FiremanChris 6 years, 2 months ago

Oddly enough, a famous Longfellow poem, "A Psalm of Life", begins with a Loku:"Tell me not"

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years, 2 months ago

Say Ain't, sewhear we gofast and slowi don't knowboy girl, no

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years, 2 months ago

I spell, notwords come, godo I caresome say no

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Susie: "boy girl, no"boy, girl, knowyet go slowto and frohearts, a-glowas they grow...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

hey, Ronda... couplettes, instead of triplettes...some timesI haveno words singlettes...fond,boy

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

fireman, very good. thanks for reminding of that simple yet profound loku by Longfellow....nicesusie, yours certainly made me laugh out loud! Way to go!!! pye just supplied three loku poems without even working up a sweat....were you secretly pulling those together all day?tange, invents yet another poetic form....fond of that boy....yes... you are rather growing on me....

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years, 2 months ago

Lights out, darkLights out, sleepLights on, can't

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

night, dream mateflight, can't waitlight, in sight( a little bit softer, now )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

late night callsays it allred bloom strewn'bout the roomblack place... swoon

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

DavidL, you got the hang of this quickly....this form seems to be about drinking rum...:)py, I would not have guessed you to be the poetic genius that you have proven yourself to be.....all of you are really taking off with this new form...bravo. The three word, one syllable format does add to the simplistic yet profound beauty...a new way of thinking.tange ends his night with it, and autie begins his day....rain fall, drownfuse muse, loveblood drips, downhand scoops, upwhite rose, dropsheart beats, quick

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 2 months ago

I prefer the OTHER new(?) form of poetry from Lawrence...FOKU.It embraces certain intransigent elements of privilege, converting it into a pure desire for guilt beyond the word.example:squirrel dies early onan ass has brayed its lead pipedreaming of old ways

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

JJ, I hadn't seen you around for some time. Thanks for coming on board to share FOKU with us... ;)kitten hit by cardonkey chokes on corn cob aloneboth lay unburied for days

oldvet 6 years, 2 months ago

More red wine?Try this one...loaf of breadjug of winethou with mesoon uh-oh!

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

another good one, schula...you could have a book of the loku format if you keep it up...such nice gentle, serene images...unlike a certain JJ and myself....and then there is tange...and honored vet...autie...large king, roarshonored vet:more red, wine?taste it, dinesteer clear, vetnot done, yetsmooth throat, downdrunk like, clownsleep with, sunwake with, moonwaste old, boozepour down, drainstart new, jug?

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

buzz to compy - phrasing and poetry have two syllables.....;)tange,one man, crazetwo men, lazethree men, hazefour men, mazefive men, raisesix men, paysno men, moreform works, this

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

schula,cool bath, soothe hot milk, broodwarm sun, burncold snow, funeat with, friendlaugh rein, in

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

multi, you went wild on whatever form of poetry you just wrote...I guess this falls under free verse....for free falling verse.....or failing free of all verse. So now we know what you have been up to! Thanks.....tell cat hi...

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 2 months ago

I asked this on the blog about Valentine's Day gifts, but since everyone here is into poetry, perhaps someone can help with finding chocolates?I went into Riverfront Suites the other day to discover Riverfront Chocolates is gone. Dismay! I asked around about where I might find something similar and the best anyone could offer was Au Marche and Penny Annie's, neither of which compare to the heavenly chocolates once sold at Riverfront. So.... Does anyone know where to buy good quality chocolates around here now?

schula 6 years, 2 months ago

Riverfront Chocolates moved to Sixth Street, near a bar that used to be called Kasper's. They also changed their name, can't think of right off but will let you know

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh sweet Jesus! Please let me know if you find it. Thanks!

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 2 months ago

Never mind, schula.It's Ricetta (which it might have always been) and it's between Schwartz and Kasold. Happy day!

schula 6 years, 2 months ago

Asleep, glad you figured out the name and where it is

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad also....the bad part is it is so close to my house. Easy access at a time I would like to lose weight...I want to look better than my "former".......

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 2 months ago

Ronda - Chocolate is a SERIOUS weakness of mine. But I found in the past, that I can eat a Snickers at 300+ calories and be sort of satisfied for the moment, or eat one Riverfront truffle (which has to be better than a mass-produced and preserved Snickers, although I don't know exact nutrition info) and be satisfied for the whole week. You deserve a champagne truffle Ronda. There's just no arguing with that.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

asleep, okay, I have to hand it to you...I do deserve a champagne truffle...I have not had one, but I think it sounds like it will make my head spin in delight...chocolate delight always makes me spin around as I say...ummmmmm...ummmmmm. ummmmmmmm....we gals have to have our chocolate fix...often..... I suspect the satisfaction comes from the peanut within the snickers bar...they are great...does the truffle have nuts in it? I was just on my blog about Breakfast of Champions talking with multi about the importance of having the right balance of protein, fat, and carbs in order not to spike our blood sugar....and to retain that healthy balance.tange...form more, lessthat a, bysssay good, byeto life, known

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

... another "death" threat from my stalker!( hmm... perhaps a "promise" )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Ronda (aka Siouxsie): "You'll never know...."... and you, lo,you'll ne'er 'no'say it's solest I go….

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

refusedabusedin a word... used( that's ok... you just keep on usin' me, 'til you use me up )

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years, 2 months ago

I think you need to take this someplace else.......Tan man, scamgen tial, man

JackKats 6 years, 2 months ago

Voice sound downLean ear closeLove says byeLeft to crySpeak soft wordCry in PrayerStreak of TearGod Draw Near!Sleep naught! Wake!Dark Moon NightYon Light's DawnMourn'in Son

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

[ sigh ]red bloom, dearview the fearno one knowsof what growsse lec tivede tec tivepro tec tive(de fec tive)quell their feartell them, dearlest our wordsstam pede herds

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

For the lone-ly and the cream-y(even the multi-ply-disciplinary)A song, dedicated fondly...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-1QeOjzEDY( they said it better, after all ) If you go down to HammondYou’ll never come backIn my opinion you’reOn the wrong trackWe’ll always love you butThat’s not the pointIf you go with that fellaForget about usAs far as I’m concernedThat would be justThrowing yourself awayNot even tryingCome on you’re lying to meWell I went down to HammondI did as I pleasedI ain’t the only oneWho’s got this diseaseWhy don’t you face the factYou old upstartWe fall apartYou’d be okay if you’dJust stay in schoolDon’t be a foolDo your eyes have an answerTo this song of mineThey say we meet againOn down the lineWhere is on down the lineHow far away? Tell me I’m okayIf you go down to HammondYou’ll never come back

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

... oh, and for the uninitiated...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8-4vb...( sorry for the cheezey video, but they do inspire the young at heart )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

"grown" are theywho nay sayspoil the daytho' grown, wekids at playcan't they see?

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

Jack, very nice poemtange, I think Jack would prefer this version:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0vOBR_3dVQWell, at least I do. No more roches, please!

oldvet 6 years, 2 months ago

Good Morning!Hello Sun!still aliveone more dayThank You, God!time to readpost a fewgo to workmake some buckslove my jobgreat peoplewife will fixgreat dinnerchat with hercall grandkidscatch some tubehit the sackweekend startsJayhawks playNascar startslife is great!Thank You, God!

webmocker 6 years, 2 months ago

Bob Dole: stiff.George Bush: gone.Oh. Bam. Ahhhh.Bill C.: perv.James Earl cares.Kiss my. ...

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

oldvet, that was quite well done. You utilized the poetic form to tell us the entire story of your day as it will unfold! Bravo...web, you just wrote the first Loku political poem....hope there are more to follow....Terrific... and the amazing thing is that I actually agree with what you did write..it was right...right on!

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years, 2 months ago

So it goesno one knowshow it flowsbut it goes

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Ronda, funny, when I saw your additional Hallelujah links, I thought I'd find different songs, but they both were renditions of Leonard's (my link) ..."'Hallelujah' was originally written and composed over the course of a year, and is said to have been a frustrating and difficult process for Cohen. Cohen says he wrote at least eighty verses, filling two notebooks - discarding most of the verses in the process of crafting the song." I see that one of your links included World Idol winner, Kurt Nilsen. Are you familiar with his story? Consider these comments...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdtey... And here's one for us ( as rumor would have it ) ...,;-Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpUpyD...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

what is soughtin words wrought?oh! so muchfound and foughtwords of lovebut for naught

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years, 2 months ago

Matt is sweetcan't wait,meetlost my jobI should sobbut life sweet

grammaddy 6 years, 2 months ago

Neverseenso muchtalentinoneplaceHeHeHe

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

"stalk-ers" darebrave the flarefor they care... the rare pair

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

Matt, you are, right in your, praise thank you, sir those kind, wayssusie, different Matt, but you would enjoy meeting this Matt also - Matt Fowler is a fellow "fellow"...Hi Matt...let's see a blog! ;)gram, I agree with you....and I enjoyed your simplistic one word, one line, one syllable poetic form also....Do you have a name for that poetic style?tange:pre, post, nowpast, piss, fewgive and, getlets for, getstart a , newso cool, you

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

red bloom (you)way cool, toolove your flairlovejustabouteverythingaboutyoucan'twaitanothermomentto...where am... er... was I? oh, yeah...love your hair

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

uh, I am going with multi on this one.....???? well, gee thanks, I guess......hummmmm??????take my, hairI don't, careleave to, heirme quite, baredon't like, snarefeel as, trapfast I , runlong legs, fun

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

long legs, funhead quite bareKo-jak hare?lo jack snare?tor-toise, mewin the racea-wait yousec-ond place

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

multi, you are a poetic genius! ;) Very nice...very nice indeed....see you tonight!tange...sleeping I hope?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

wak-ing dreamyou, 'twould seemwe, the teamin the streamglint and beamah, the cream

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

had some, fundance to, drumslost in, beatsuch a, treatkeep friends, closelaugh and, crylife moves, bymet our, autiecame to, talktime went, bymuch too, fastplease come, backtange is, outI feel, safeas he, dreamsholds me, closesoon he, willtalk with, me......I too, hetwo words, three

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

two words, threeyou-and-mewe! we! we!all the wayhome ( to thee )

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Word games are fun.But sometimes, problems with names.Japan, no Lo sound.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

低いku( hmm... will that make it through the post-a-matic? )

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure that they have some version, which is probably cuter but less voluptuous.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Luckily, we have our Ronda-lo... er... Ronaldo... um... Ro-nado....( what is that woman's name, anyway? )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Song for Ronda (suggested by Multi)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWanDJ..."can't seem to stop that train of thought"

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

Now that is one train that needs to be derailed.....even my voice is better than that mans! ;)multi, recovered from yesterday?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

FiremanChris: "Oddly enough, a famous Longfellow poem, 'A Psalm of Life', begins with a Loku: 'Tell me not'”And, interestingly, Shriekback's 'Faded Flowers' [all but] ends in a seven-line loku..."...we had somegood ma-chinesbut they don'twork no more[I] loved you oncedon't love youan-y-more " not our songno swan, wea long songtwo words, three

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

I am sick...you guys are too much for me....wild dreams through the night...glad you are well and I hope to recover at some point.tange,I like the additional to the song....good work, thee that is, allfrom here, mesick fever, free

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

poor girl, illtake no pillsha-man, me(no sham/fee)work the spellmake you welllift you uplay you downspin you round'til you pukerinse re-peat

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

I feel, sickonce more,worsewhen see, versetange did, leavespin me, roundfall to, groundhurt my, crowntange in, jailgo to, seeno set, freeback yard, glee!gnome and, multiglee they, be

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8-nGZ..."I'll warn you, if cornered, I'll scratch my way out of the penWired, an animalThe claustrophobia beginsYou think I'm scared of girlsWell maybeBut I'm not afraid of youYou want to scare me then you'll cling to me no matter what I do...Infatuated with a lunatic and cornered by the museAnd it goes down every nightThis must be what jail is really likeAnd I will scratch my way out of this pen, againLonely?MaybeOr maybe notIt all dependsYour ideal, your imageYour definition of a friendIf what you're shoveling is companyThen I'd rather be aloneResentment always goes much further than it was supposed to go " ,;-)Lovin' the muse.( Mine to follow, hopefully. )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCf7csY1ooHear me now and don't forgetI'm not the man my actions would suggestA little boy, I'm tied to youI fell apartThat's what I always doThis ain't about regretMy conscience can't be foundThis time I won't repentSomebody's going downFeel it now and don't resistThis time the anger's better than the kissI must admit when so inclinedI tend to lose it than confront my mind'Cause it don't bleed and it don't breatheIt's locked its jaws and now it's swallowingIt's in our heartIt's in our headIt's in our loveBaby it's in our bedTonight I go to hellFor what I've done to youThis ain't about regretIt's when I tell the truthAnd once again the monster speaksReveals his face and searches for releaseA little boy is tied to youAttracted [even when] it comes unglued

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

Both are quite nice. The lead singer looks like a young Lennon...do you agree?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

What a gem, Greg. Like Lennon, he always had the spark.But we digress. Loku, briefly supplanted by nuku.Moon now fullfeel its pullris-ing tidecoast-er ridenow to sleepper-chance to...

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

feeble, source discarded, renga? so you, sayso you, thinkdo not, judgequite so, fastme does, thinkschula, hope your Monday started off well....great description in our "loku" tradition......

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

renga:As a rule, kasen must refer to flowers (usually cherry blossoms) twice, and three times to the moon. These references are termed hana no za (花の座?, "the seat of flowers") and tsuki no za (月の座?, "the seat of the moon").Nice combination that moon, those flowers.moon those, flowersflowers those, moonthose moon, flowersthose flowers, moonflowers make, swoonflowers bloom, moonmoon bloom, flowersmoon flowers, bloomheart beats, loudlyloudly beats, heartbeats loudly, heartbeats heart loudlyslowly go, insanego insane, slowlyinsane go, slowlyinsane slowly, goluna flowers, insaneflowers bloom, luna

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

flow-ers, whitelight my nightgive me sightend my plightlove takes flight

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

ah, day-lightwill we fight?love, in spite?just wax trite?fly a kite?in-to night?moon-light flight?mid-night rite?

schula 6 years, 2 months ago

Ronda: Had a good Monday, was quite busy at work, hoping Tuesday is just as busy. Hope you are feeling better.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

schula, I am a bit better, thank you for asking. Hope your Tuesday flies by as quickly as your Monday did!full moon, nightmade life, brightlove, out a sightsuch a, lightchanges a, moodfast over, broodnoth ing, lewdsuggested, here