LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Song Title and Lyric Game: it's about St. Patrick's Day!

Give us your favorite 'green' songs today in celebration of the Irish we all seem to have within on this date.

Your song title or lyric must include the word green, Irish, or beer in order for it to count in today's game.

Please share the performer, song title, and link to your favorite version. If you've got a special memory to share about the song, or even a Saint Patty's day from your past, feel free to share it.

Have a fun, safe day. Don't forget to go 'green'!

Comments

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

When Iris Eyes Are Smiling. - one of my favorite anytime songs.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Hehe - that is Irish Eyes - and yes, I am part Irish, and no, I haven't touched a drop of beer!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 10 months ago

That was the first song that came into my head! Other than that, no original ideas from me at all.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Saol fada chugat Ronda! (Long life to you, Ronda!)

Irish Lullaby - Nicolette Larson

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, Roe. I wasn't familiar with the saying or the song. I sure enjoyed listening to the song and viewing the photos though. Breathtaking!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Hi, Sis! I hope you're having good weather there for your trip. I told Chad to hop his bike and go see you. Urban dictionary's word today was Irish twins - read it. We were Irish triplets! :)

Good morning. Schula!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Love the lyrics you did remember, cuzin Autie. Wot's thee nam o tot toon?

I picture ya dancin the jig whil smokin de piggy. Maks me hoppy, happy

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

The Song of Amergin http://www.sunflower.com/~caitlin/amergin.html (Which actually predates St. Patrick by around 1500 years but what's a few years between friends when it involves a good song?)

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

I learned something new today thanks to you. I loved the poetry. Thanks, Cait48. Happy day to you!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Are those Irish 'green' eyes? Or 'green' from too much green beer? :)

Boosh 3 years, 10 months ago

Thin Lizzy-Whiskey in the jar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehFZ3...

Or anything else except "the boys are back in town" (radio seems to think that's the only song they ever did)

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Boys are back, is a terrific song, but I agree that they did others equally, if not better, that should be acknowledged. Thanks, Boosh! Have a fun, safe day.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 10 months ago

That's a very interesting tune from the Middle Ages. And from Wikipedia:

"What Child Is This?" is a popular Christmas carol written in 1865 by William Chatterton Dix, set to the "Greensleeves" tune.

A variation was used extensively in the 1962 film How the West Was Won as the song "Home in the Meadow", lyrics by Sammy Cahn, performed by Debbie Reynolds.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Good day, Ron! You're always such a wealth of knowledge. Or is that knowledge of weath! Interesting facts. Thank you.

I know you well enough that as your brain warms up there will be more to follow, even a few German drinking songs. Lol

Brandon Devlin 3 years, 10 months ago

"Monto" as sung by The Dubliners

"Now when the Tsar of Russia And the King of Prussia Landed in the Phoenix in a big balloon, They asked the police band To play 'The Wearin' of the Green' But the b**s from the depot didn't know the tune."

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Sounds great! Do you have a link for us to listen to? Thanks!

Brandon Devlin 3 years, 10 months ago

The version from 1966 that I was brought up listening to. . .with the infamous, often banned, last verse.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Parade's over - next year you should be in this one too!

Jay_lo should be showing up soon!

LadyJ 3 years, 10 months ago

OK, I just can't resist, besides we can't have a blog without some mention of Obama "There's no one as Irish as Barack O'Bama" It's quite funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplZ_t...

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Tsk tsk, Lady J! Must be a little Irish in you that made you do it - or a gnome, elf, sumthin - cuzin?

Actually I was just reading about how our next President, Donald Trump, still does not believe President Obama is a citizen either. Wow!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

The white part of him actually does have Irish roots. His great grandmother was a McCurry. People tend to forget that Barack Obama is half white.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Wilie would be wild to party with! Lol. Great jigging song.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

I can't tell you my favorite Irish song. There are just too many of them. I have to say that this ranks up there in the top ten. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYkg6styqfM

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Fear an Bhata (The Boatman) I have four different versions of this song by four different artists but I have to say my absolute favorite is by our own Connie Dover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhI_L... (The video has absolutely nothing to do with the song.)

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely beautiful voice and lyrics - music. It also made me want to go horse back riding. Beautiful country.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

If the Donald became POTUS would he then tell Obama, . . You're FIRED!!?

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, he likely would. Maybe Charley Sheen can be his VP! You're Fired cuz we're WINNING!!! Lol. Ok, I've just sickened myself.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

Good morning everyone! I am stopping by to give everyone the afternoon off. Have a safe and fun weekend!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, Schula. My cold and I can use the extra time to recover!

Have a terrific weekend.

Jay_lo 3 years, 10 months ago

"Oh Irish Iwuz an Oscar Mayer Wiener..."

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

That wins as worse Irish joke I've ever heard! Do we credit you for that one?

I've been hoping to have a chance to play some of the links you've been kind enough to share. Thanks for the varied selections. I hope your patty's day was a good one.

Jay_lo 3 years, 10 months ago

And if they should be green wieners, would it still Shamus to tell it?

I be hearing that it be so hot on the sidewalks of Ireland this week that you could make a Paddy Melt!

How many Lepers could a Leprechaun con, if a Leprechaun could con Lepers.

I heard they invented a boulder over there that could absorb 20 times its weight in liquid. They sold it to the Sham Wow! people and now it's called the Sham Rock!

I best be quittin' while I'm still behind.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Ok, Jay! I should have known there are always more where those came from. Do not get me in trouble again. Hehe. You know I have low impulse control.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 10 months ago

I always liked REM. Thanks for posting the link!