LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Amy Winehouse found dead in N London apartment

News sources are saying that Amy Winehouse was found dead at her Camden apartment in n London. She is 27 years old. Winehouse has had previous difficulties with addiction, but no reports of 'the suspected cause of her death have as yet been released.

It's always difficult to say goodbye to anyone, especially someone as young and gifted as she was.

Please post your favorite song performed by Winehouse along with any tribute you'd like to add.

Comments

Ronda Miller 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd suggest those who are harmed by her, or another addict's, actions seek help where they feel most comfortable. Places such as Alanon, churches, clergy or therapy can be helpful. Sometimes those on the perimeter can be pulled in and feel a great deal of loss, pain and responsibility.

LoveThsLife 2 years, 8 months ago

I thought Russell Brand's comments on her addiction were pretty spot on.

It's sad to see someone make poor choices and reject the help that was available to them.

I hope those that cared about her are able to find some solace, watching an addict destroy themselves is difficult.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Another maladjusted rich chick... Sorry for her. Sorry for her anger. Sorry for her inability to deal with reality. Just a sad situation to a sorry messed up person.

Now for a moment of pity.... Now back to work.

erck 2 years, 8 months ago

"Tears Dry On Their Own"

Her genuine vulnerability was a sharp counterpoint to the swagger of the overall sound, and sometimes the lyrics; her breakthrough album was a reflection of a relationship that fell apart and her own attempts to deal with it. If testaments to her talent from people such as Quincy Jones and Tony Bennett don't hush the haters (it's so facile to sit at home and send nasty messages.... how many Grammy awards have you won?) perhaps you might pause your dismissiveness to reflect on the pain that probably drove the recordings you think are proper, from doo-wop to hip-hop

bootlegger 2 years, 8 months ago

RIP WINEHOUSE ..............................GOOD RIDDANCE...........

camper 2 years, 8 months ago

I used to not understand how some of my sports heroes, and basically many good ballplayers could mess up by failing drug tests. How could they? They had the best job in the world.

Suppose getting older taught me that we can become prey to many things and things are not quite so simple. I think Jesus had it right when he said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

I know squat about Amy Winehouse' music. I guess her work just got by me. She must've been good, I suppose -and death at 27 from booze & drugs speaks for itself. Purely a waste of talent, not to mention of a life. . I like musicians like Stephen Stills, Joanie Mitchell and Robbie Robertson, among others, who withstand the test of time. Now there's one for ya -Robertson. He's released a new CD last spring that totally kicks ass: How To Become Clairvoyant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_R...

jimmyjms 2 years, 8 months ago

How does one give tribute to the unknown? Amy Winehouse accomplished more than you have by the time she was 22, and you sound appropriately bitter.

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

I see no tears or tributes to the unknowns everywhere that work hard and lead moral lives to only fall over dead. How can you have such an outpouring for someone who flaunts morality and willfully shellacs herself until she dies? When we glorify the addict we glorify the addiction. Not a good road.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"Access doesn't equate cure. It's a disease, O. Do you blame someone who dies from a genetic cancer or a genetic heart defect. I say who are we to judge another person's life. "

" It's a disease,"

She knew that and continued to feed it. Dollar Signs.

"Do you blame someone who dies from a genetic cancer or a genetic heart defect."

Come on, Ronada. Show me where one can get cured of a genetic cancer or a gene defect. This gal put out an album based on her being a glorified drug addict and felt she the need to keep up that image rather than relying on her talent .

Ronda Miller 2 years, 8 months ago

You don't have to like everyone, nor do we need to have the same taste in music, but simple respect for another human (or animal) is an appropriate expectation.

What did Amy do to you?

David Lignell 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe a bit overwhelmed by her fame. Our first clue should have been the denial of treatment. R.I.P. Amy.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"snap_pop_no_crackle (anonymous) says… Her enablers will now have to find another meal ticket.

July 24, 2011 at 7:56 a.m. ( permalink | reply | suggest removal | ) collapse justbegintowrite (Ronda Miller) replies… And they're easy enough to be found. Some even disguise themselves as medical professionals as we've found out, sadly. "

Dr. Drew Pinsky treated her? He's killed a couple addicts through his reality tv show.

I know of this chick, but other than the constant tabloid news, she hasn't done anything creative (other than mixing horse tranquilizers and coke and heroin) in years. I may have a black heart, but I don't feel sorry for her. Just her family. She had millions of dollars and had access to the best treatment facilities in the world. She was 27, not 17. And, Lady Gaga is on the clock now.

/I have a really hard time feeling sorry for millionaires that made their money off being junkies.

beatrice 2 years, 9 months ago

I can't say I was shocked by the news.

Winehouse had obvious problems with drugs and alcohol, the means to do something about it, but chose not to. It is sad, because she had a real talent and Back to Black is an exceptional album -- I was listening to it just last week in the car. However, it is just one album (and the one before that, "Frank," isn't all that). She didn't define her era like Janis or Jimi, or even Kurt for that matter. Someday, we will be listening to Adele's latest, "48" or "53," and Winehouse will be basically forgotten, nothing but a footnote. A real tragedy to see such talent and potential wasted.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 9 months ago

cait48 says "TBH I never thought Amy Winehouse was all that good :( If you want bluesy jazz about addiction Billie Holiday was a whole lot better."

To each their own I suppose. Winehouse had a sultry, contralto voice and an obvious knowledge of music. We will never know where this could have taken her, very sad. Just curious cait - what is this "bluesy jazz" of Billie's you speak of? Jazz is so misunderstood.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

Her enablers will now have to find another meal ticket.

grammaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

So sad, we only got a small glimpse of her talent. In her short career she had already won 3 grammys.There's no telling where she could have gone from there. Addiction is truly the worst of all demons."Back to Black" will always be my favorite of her albums..

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

I think she is dead. And not many will remember her after a couple of weeks. A blip on the radar and a trivia question.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it's hard to say what she could have become. Were they comparing her talent to Jimi, Jim and Janice or the fact that she was also 27? Besides, her name didn't start with a J. :)

I think she had a lot of raw talent and charisma.

meatandpotatoes 2 years, 9 months ago

GMA ran a story this morning comparing her to Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin. Really?

Steve Jacob 2 years, 9 months ago

"Back to Black" best song.

That whole album was a cry for help. She had problems before she got rich and famous, and those don't get any better with money. She has been working on a new album for years, so I would think we will her some new songs. Would Adele be as big here if not for Amy?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 9 months ago

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Amy Winehouse - Procrastination

Too young, just too young . . .