LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Holiday Haiku, Loku, KUku, Politiku, Felisku, free verse or rhyme - just make it seasonal

Tis the season to embrace them all - people, cultures and religions that is.

Allow your loving, forgiving hearts and minds the ability to extend over space and time.

Stretch your belief system, drop tradition and wrap your mind around the endless possibilities of poetry.

Today's poetry blog will encompass whatever form your words and thoughts want to take.

So be it Haiku, Loku, KUku, Felisku, free verse or rhyme, all is fine - just make it seasonal. I will pick twelve winning entries (with a little help from my friends), to post in an online blog 12-26-2011.

Viewers may then cast a vote for whom they think should win. (I'm sorry, but there can only be one winner. You may post as many poems as you wish) The winner receives an autographed copy of BEGIN AGAIN: 150 Kansas Poems (edited by Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg and published by Woodley Press).

Have fun! Safe travels this holiday season. Ku ku ka jube!

Examples:

Haiku: (remember the first line is traditionally five syllables, the second line is seven syllables and the third line is five syllables)

Winter solstice bliss

Say goodbye - a final kiss

Stark lunar eclipse

Loku: a poetic form made up of three mono syllable words: the first two words are separated from the third word by a comma. Each line is complete, but additional lines can be used for a more complex story.

Snow comes, white

I hear he's best anyway

What else do I hear

From up on the hill?

Raises for staff - nil

More work, less pay

Makes those who stay

Swallow pride, a bitter pill

Those who can, retire

Others left to inquire

Why? It's just not fair

With increased cost of living

All the knowledge and sweat

They give and share.

Have fun! I'll stop by to insert my own poems from time to time as well as read and enjoy yours. The contest ends Christmas Eve at midnight!

Comments

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Say 'Merry Christmas' Or say 'Happy Holidays?' I like both just fine.

Rock,

The only haiku You, the winner by default? Just don't hold your breath!

(thanks for getting us started - and I'm with you, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays both work just fine by me. I'll celebrate just about anything. :)

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Shopping is all done, Only purchases for one, The rest done by her . . .

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Wrap it quite nicely With paper, ribbons & bows, Or use a gift bag.

Roe

Roe is one big elf Merry Christmas to you/yours And happy New Year!

Rock

Plain brown paper wrap Counting package before sent Waiting at mailbox

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Snow blows Tuesday night Turning our brown world soft/white Bringing smiles and frowns

rockchalker52 3 years ago

that's pretty, ronda. If there's gonna be snow, I am more ready from the reading of it.

A free form still under construction:

Winter sunshine through my window On a trip across the southern sky. A yearly ending, such a beautiful show I watch the seasons & the time go by.

I believe in Mother Nature. And I believe in what She can do. I believe in every living creature. They are part of me & they are part of you.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

You're really getting into the swing! Terrific. Ducks on horizon A blue moon is now rising Grass crunches under foot

Winter shares beauty Children's faces full of glee Sledding families

Squirrels finding food Frozen breath explains the rest Dog and owner too

Slipping and sliding Make my life more exciting Winter comes alive

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Round belly, red cheeks, Silver buckles on his boots, Santa's come to play.

If it's nice you've been, Old St. Nick will leave some loot. Naughty? There's no way.

Rock,

This is very nice. Great work. I see competition just came on too! The nice thing is I believe Jay_lo has a fair share of BEGIN AGAIN: 150 Kansas poems.

Christmas coming Children waiting Little hearts Anticipating

Birth of Jesus Some prepared Others Santa's Reindeer paired

No matter how You celebrate Hope your season Turns out great

Let differences By wayside fall Wish joy and peace To one and all

Share love with neighbor, Family, friends And hope the feeling Never ends

Wish every day Through out their year Contains a little Christmas cheer

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Now that could be a Christmas card!

Simply beautiful, The essence of holiday, Makes me warm inside

Holidays to me? Beautiful simplicity Family held close

Jay_lo 3 years ago

Gentle snow falling Partridge in pear tree calling Joyous time of year

Wishing Ronda best Season's Greetings to express Hope joy fills her heart

Jay_lo 3 years ago

RoeDapples behind Santa's reindeer you may find Long trip from their home

Hold they could not do In the bright white snow they poo Smells like cinnamon?

Hold up close to nose Take a deep whiff I suppose Christmas aroma

Sweet candycane smell Just below the reindeer's tail Christmas scents abound

'chalker52 I will cast my vote for you Much enjoy your rhymes

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Jay_lo's back in town Jay_lo throws his weight around He has much to say

Speaks in nicest way He's heavy in poetry Good cheer is his name

This blog now a game Makes other poets look lame Rock strong contender

Jay_lo 3 years ago

How much weight I throw? Belly like jelly you know Maybe Santa's twin?

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Big enough to love Arms still fit around to hug It's your heart that's huge

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Many days to go Others will come on to play Haiku queen is one

Fun and games galore Ronda is keeping the score For Santa's poets

Time to go to bed Sugarplum fairies in head Have sweet Christmas dreams

Christ mass key So is family No need for shopping spree Just oranges and candy

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Gobble up the jerky Toss it aside The rest of your poem Lovely as a bride.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Lol @ Ron - short and to the point!

Freezing season short Enjoy beauty while it lasts Spring will be here soon

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Wind's ablowin', It's asnowin', I'm aknowin, I ain't rowin', More like towin'.!

Much better!

Winds ablowin I'm a knowin I anint roein Or northtownzin

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

When you're told, that it's cold, and you're old, and you're bold: Lang syne, auld!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

I hate the snow because I know, the wind will blow.

But this I know, the fire will glow: There's always Poe!

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

The light burns bright many a night Pondering a Poe book of poetry or prose In this house where blood red walls rule. He's so frightful at times, With his purple prose rhymes That a run into the night sounds good!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

One cold evening there I sat, wondering where the summer's at.

Knowing far inside the wall, Deep within that damn black cat.

For my back a heavy pat, they'll never know where it's at.

If still young, I'd be a brat, I tapped the wall with my bat.

Oh no!

Put Poe away Bring out your sleigh Reread the rules That's all I'll say

(sorry, seasonal does mean different things to different people, but back into the Hanukaku and xmasku spirit.)

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Winter's cold, that we know, there's so much deep white snow.

Of course the wind will blow, freezing both friend and foe.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

It seems there's a rule, When writing about the Yule. That's a real tough tool.

It's a big morass. But if you can find success, You found words to bless.

I'm one of the fools, one that doesn't follow rules. Words are only tools.

OK, I'll try again, and this time try to be more Christmassy!

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

These are just fine It's just about time Aligning your mind Not only with season, but mine Take yourself back To your childhood past Let memories encompass

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Christmas time is drawing neigh, but for me it's just a sigh.

With no family that's nearby, bright side is no gifts to buy.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Stick your wallet between your thighs Make em' pry it loose with pumpkin pies Have them bribe you with a kiss Or take them off your hanikuku list

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Ha!

Not only did they help themselves to their Christmas presents last year from my room, they went through my suitcases and got more!

The Moral Of The Story Is:

Don't visit your relatives if they are related to me!

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

This is a sad Christmas story.... Likely more common than not But now that they're caught And you've fret and you've fraught Get over your feud and forgive Just keep your things under locks!

Jay_lo 3 years ago

Ears are turning blue Cheeks and nose are freezing too Wait all year for this?

Lips becoming ice Can't feel toes and fingers, nice Even butt is numb

Need to light a fire With cocoa and book retire Like "Begin Again"

Snuck in plug for book If you get a chance take look Poetry from heart

Will inspire you Many talents that is true Sure to warm your heart

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Thanks for the plug And speaking of I've curled my hair Lips smack with red lipstick I've got to get ready quick A reading in lecompton soon Wish I had a funny tune or poem Like my favorite largest ball of twine Reading it would feel sublime

Ron Holzwarth 3 years ago

Yes, so close we are, minds so close and yet so far, thoughts that only mar.

When I drive my car, thoughts of Christmas only jar, black as pitch and tar.

I avoid that bar, but for me that's right on par. Just like Zanzibar.

Kids, a candy cane, it will only melt in rain, thoughts are only pain.

Christmas joy I feign, 'tis the season that I bane, may as well be Maine.

Joy upon the lane, joy felt by a foreign Dane, that I only feign.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

Not a haiku, but a poem I wrote eleven years ago for Yuletide. http://www.sunflower.com/~caitlin/Yule.html

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Very nice, Cait. You put a lot of thought into that. It is officially entered in our contest.

Santa Claus is real Here right now through poetry Giving gifts of verse

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Perfect form and message. You're in it to win it! :)

rockchalker52 3 years ago

There ain’t nobody faster than Old Saint Nick. Presents to everyone incredibly quick. Santa has his mystery, his tricks & his ways Or maybe he just uses a couple hundred sleighs

The elves are prob’ly driving them, a sky born fleet. More Keebler than Kringle might be what’s in the seat. From country homes to city streets with buildings so tall Teams of elfin helpers could be visiting them all.

What else could explain the magic of the season? For one fat man to do it all is way beyond reason. On Christmas Eve if you think you see that jolly old soul Could be fair to say he’s still tucked away, at home at the Pole..

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Magnificent!!! I love it when a poem tells a message from beginning to end. This is very nice and complete.

riverdrifter 3 years ago

summer soltice clear cliffs pool ripples deep and clear no one near to know

Lovely.....

Cliffs are there all year Wait for me, dear, I'll visit Come spring roads are clear

DustyAcres 3 years ago

a poet i'm not love to read all of your prose makes me laugh out loud

DustyAcres 3 years ago

just a bit of snow but none on the roads, oh please would make me happy

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Dusty acres knows Crops grow best layered with snow It's what makes crops grow

rockchalker52 3 years ago

There’s a modern polar factory sitting at the top of the world. High atop its flagpole, Santa’s banner flies unfurled.
The things inside are made with pride by Kringle’s techno-elves. Electronic gear doth spread good cheer & that’s what lined the shelves.

Though the elves worked fast, like Christmas past, it was hard to please the hordes. With every Wii needed, an X-box competed for a shortage of new circuit boards. Things looked so bleak that the foreman did seek the wisdom of dear Mr. Claus. Awaiting the answer to gift-gadget cancer, the rest of the techies took pause.

To the messenger elf, Santa said, “Ask yourself ‘why do gadgets make people so crazy?’ It’s because the old joys from plain Christmas toys are just fond recollections, now hazy.” Back with the asker, St. Nick sent a tasker, an old elf to help with the chore. The techies were pumped, but Santa had dumped a non-techie to show them the score.

They ask him to solder which he thought was odder than making new toys in the shop. Instead he did fling a toy wound with string, a shiny new red Christmas top. It danced & spun its innocent fun as the techies looked on with amazement, Save for one frantic elf who stood by himself & thought this a bad tech replacement

“A top is,” he said, “a toy that is dead. Giftees want gadgets & gear. There’s no way to show them how to properly throw them & that is the problem, I fear.” An elfin apprentice said, “How ‘bout we send this with instructional video? We could load all the Macs with spinning top FAQs & lessons on how to throw.”

After Santa agreed on how to proceed, the techies retooled their shop. All technical ware was now much more spare & paired with a shiny new top. Elfin spirits were lifted while nice folks were gifted with presents both old & new. Old celebrations & new innovations let the Holiday Spirit shine through.

Rock,

Did you actually write that? Very fun and impressive. :)

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Yah, I'll fess up to it's creation, a journeyman's offering, but I enjoyed the effort.

Thank you, Ms Miller, For your gift of poetry. This blog is great fun!

So glad you enjoy Participation is key But no more cheating! Hehehe

lonelane_1 3 years ago

It's winter I hate. Makes me wish I could retire and just hibernate.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Is it snow that you hate Or cold winds you wish would abate Snowflakes fall on sounds of lamenting Extinguishes them all Take a soft feather falling Listen to what nature's calling to you It's serine, Be kind to yourself Go outside in the still of the white night Swallow your fear and your pride Lie down in the snow, feel your cheeks glow And make snow angels!white extreme A hushed breathe as it falls

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Here it is only Monday & I'm already stumped. Not following the cheating admonition as cheating while competing is completely defeating the traditions we're repeating. A thousand pardons, effendi, for any missteps or mistaken perceptions. Perhaps a clarification?

Don't know much about birthin' no verses, but I studied it some while slidin' around these intertubes & one of the places I landed had these definitions of the four main meters & sample words of each: iambic - ta TAH , like the word 'about' trochaic - TAH ta, like the word 'higher' anapestic - ta ta TAH, like the word 'unabridged' dactylic - Tah ta ta - like the word 'screwdriver'

If you put them in order, they go 'ta TAH TAH ta ta ta TAH TAH ta ta Then, if you try to make a seasonal poem with that meter, you might get something like this:

Big red fat man, rosy cheeks, Santa Claus. Rudolph's red nose, reindeers games? Not so much. Foggy Christmas! light the way? Red can help. Trek completed, other deer pay good cheer. Now a hero, Red can play all damn day.

u wan me stay wid haiku, mon?

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Fa la fa la Tru lay tru lay Fa la fa la Skip a doodle day

I didn't create that either.....

You're getting an A, perhaps a book of poetry, for your efforts in study and crime. Just remember to keep it light. The idea is to have a good time.
You aren't required to rhyme.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Snow storm skirts Lawrence Collective sighs of relief Disappointment some...

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Secret flight path filed, Norad radar is primed To track the fat man.

He'll bring me a gift For I'm innocent of crime, A poetry fan.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Fat man I am not Poetry fan I applaud You'll hold book in hand Before singing Auld Lang Syne Our acquaintance made Your address the trade (unless other comes on and blows contest away!)

Jay_lo 3 years ago

Ronda with the red haired mane, dear Writes some finely crafted prose But if you ever read it You'd surely say her poetry glows

All of the readers who come here Scan the blogs to find her name They can't wait for Ronda To lead them in a poetry game

Then when the season rolled around They all came to say Ronda with your wit so bright Won't you, for us, a poem please write

Then how the readers loved her And they all replied with glee Ronda the poetry writer You're the best there'll ever be!

Merry Christmas Ronda - Keep Shining!!!

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Jay_lo could still win this game If he continues using my name Hard as I try, I'm still very vain But with all things equal and same Rock is doing so well, it is lame The vote will displace any blame For poets who went after they came Jay_lo's kind words are his fame Never a cruel word, better world, his aim Even though I'm a simple minded dame His words touch my heart all the same.

Christmas 99

If Santa is a "Jolly Old Elf" There's one thing I can't figure Compared to the ones all dressed in green Why is he so darn much bigger?

Why must the small "elves" work so hard To make the toys all year When the "Jolly Elf" can take them all And in one night spread good cheer?

The fat cat gets the credit For just one day of work While the others toil everyday He seems some kind of jerk

He uses "elfin magic" To place presents under trees So why then can't the little elves Use it, their load to ease?

Give the people what they want Fill orders from their list Work the poor elves overtime It kind of gets me pissed

Santa rakes in the profit The milk and cookies as a snack You never hear of the little guys Getting crumbs that he brings back

I really hate to say it But from everything I read Santa seems to be the pattern For modern corporate greed!

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

You did yourself proud on this one Jay_lo! It's your best to date in my opinion on this blog.

You've got Santa's number on your list, and you appear to be checking it more than twice. My advice? Steer clear of the Old dear with the reindeer Until after the New Year Or at least till he visits my house Afterward we can picket he and his spouse!

rockchalker52 3 years ago

cool beans! hat's off! thumbs up!

rockchalker52 3 years ago

It seems like every single time Jay_Lo's thoughts are penned sublime, His words portray sage justbegin With truthful praise from a kind dear friend.

A few more verses I may try Inspired by this bar so high Shared address, is it in the works? Or do other Christmas Eve entries lurk?

As a newbie, a novice, a wordy beginner, It feels as if each of us is truly a winner. We read & we share the thoughts that we nurse And we all are the better from the beauty of verse.

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

You're still in the running No other poets oncoming But we will let it run its course So hold your horses Let loose your jingles It will all come out in the wash You're doing just fine Your poetry is divine Jay is a shameless flirt. :)

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Lovely thoughts For no store boughts The list can go on and on Homemade candy or candles Clean someone's shambles Give of yourself however you may A kind word or two goes a long ways And lasts past Christmas it's true. She precedes knows what the needs Are for wealthy and poor alike It's the doing good deeds Not the speed and rushing about.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

As winter approaches, KU has new coaches Beginning their football reign. Here's a pro tip: One has a new hip And that's not a candy cane.

So if the players will listen, the offense should glisten like snowflakes as they fall. Look for the defense to bravely commence Decking more than just the hall.

Rock Chalk!

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

Not my original work (obviously) but my traditional midwinter post for the solstice.

The Coming of Winter

I have news for you; the stag bells, winter snows, summer has gone. Wind high and cold, the sun low, short its course, the sea running high. Deep red and bracken, its shape is lost; the wild goose has raised its accustomed cry. Cold has seized the birds' wings; season of ice, this is my news.

(Irish, author unknown, ninth century. Trans. Prof. Kenneth Jackson, A Celtic Miscellany, Penguin Classics)

There is also another poem I wrote for the Winter Solstice ten years ago. According to legend, on the night of the Solstice the Great Hunter raises what's called "the Wild Hunt". This god of the hunt, known as Herne to the Saxons and Cerrunos to the Celts, has the body of a man but stag antlers grow out of his head. (http://sunflower.com/~caitlin/herne.jpg) During the Wild Hunt he rides a ghost white horse and courses ghost dogs. Here, then, is my poem to the Wild Hunt.

Ride, Hunter, ride Tall on your milk white steed
The spirit hounds at your side Baying in their bloodlust greed

The moon is full tonight Soft light flows through the trees The ages call with might To raise the hunt wild and free

Beware, oh traveler on the road To hear the baying of the hounds It makes your blood run cold And shivers your heart to hear the sound

The pale white dogs fill the sky Their Master follows closely His antlered head held so high On his steed so ghostly

Through the valleys and the fens The wild hunt makes it's way Until dawn's light on horizon thins To greet Midwinter's Day

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

Cait, that is a lovely poem. Thank you for sharing. It's officially entered in our contest. I'll be traveling over the weekend and this image will travel with me.

She, your shambles have just been cleaned. Lol. Ok, or stolen. Sumthin sumthin.

The contest appears to be over with no new entrees - although, if I spot any posted before midnight 12-24, it will still be considered.

I'll post those to be voted on Monday, 12-26.

Merry Christmas all.....

Jay_lo 3 years ago

Cup then, the child's ear that they may hear the faintest jingle of holiday bell Share with them the bright eyed wonder of this most joyous time of year

Upon your lap make them a place where they may rest and know all that has been told amongst the generations Tales of generosity, love and hope displayed

Place in their eyes the sparkling twinkle of holiday delight to shine with eager anticipation and help preserve the magic of Christmas

Hold them close and let them feel the warmth of heartfelt holiday wishes for peace to all upon the earth

Give them the gift of all that is Christmas to carry in their purest hearts And in their sweetest dreams

Ronda Miller 3 years ago

This is lovely and contains those key Christmas elements. Thank you, Jay!