LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to have.......paw paw!

Three years ago, I tried a paw paw for the first time and I loved it! I thought I was one of a select few who had never tasted the deliciously smooth textured vanilla, mango and banana fruit. Most recently, last Saturday at the Farmer's Market, I noticed a vendor was selling them.

The friend who accompanied me had never heard of them, and when I posted a short blurb about wanting to find areas where paw paws grow wild on Face Book, I was amazed that no one, and I mean no one, knew what they were. However, a couple of people were familiar with the song, "pickin up paw paws, put 'em in your pocket."

So, now I'm on a one woman mission to educate America about a delicious fruit that is ripe and wasting all over America right now.

I've already described what they taste like, and you may be walking right past them and not realizing what they are. They are about the size of an avocado, or mango, and have a greenish yellow skin. They can be eaten by peeling off the thin skin and slicing them into fruit salads, creaming to make an incredibly smooth pudding or pie filling, a taste-bud teasing ice cream, or just as they are. How do you know they're ripe? Firm paw paw's are better in my opinion, but some people like their fruit firm, while others prefer it to be softer.

The fruit has several almond sized seeds along their core, but I've found that I can pop the core into my mouth and suck the meat of the fruit away from them. (Paw paw seed spitting contest anyone? What would mawmaw think about that)

Additional information I learned about the paw paw - they have more nutritional value than apples or grapes! Really? Wow!

If any of you are familiar with the paw paw fruit, please share your thoughts. Do you love the flavor as much as I do?

I'm headed back to the Farmer's Market for more paw paws this Saturday, and I've also made arrangements with the vendor to bring me my very own paw paw tree, although, I've discovered through my online research, that I have to plant two varieties in order to have cross pollination and fruit bearing trees.

To make this blog more fun, name a song with a title, or lyric, that includes any type of fruit - replace that name with the word paw paw!

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Ah yes, brings to mind a favorite campsite (private) where the paw-paws are heavily infested near a stream bed. First time we discovered the fruit we carried back armloads of the stuff to the campsite. Believe me, there is too much of a good thing.

How about, Fats Domino "I found my thrill on Paw-paw Hill..."

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm hoping your source is close to where you reside at present. Any chance I can beg, borrow, paw my way to some. And a couple of saplings. And the location? :)

What happens when you over eat paw paws. Do you founder yourself?

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, no longer have access. Owner passed away and sons sold to developer. Probably dozed under by now 8-(

Damn, I feel like crying. Seriously. Lol

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

i had the pawpaws when i was in Nam....pepto bismol cured it plus an anti-biotic.

Or, Shake Your Rump- The Beastie Boys

"I got more rhymes than Kansas got paw-paws..."

(bea oughta give me fits for this one!)

lonelane_1 4 years, 3 months ago

"Eat a Paw Paw" by the Allmon Brothers

Then there's the old silly song "Yes, We Have No Paw Paws"

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Ha! That last one you named was one of the first that came to mind.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Of course there's this . ..

Candyman- Christina Aguilera "...He's a one-stop shop, makes my paw-paw pop..."

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

This should get you on the front page . . . or banned forever!

Paw-paw Pie- Jennifer Lopez "I can be your paw-paw pie and you can be my cream on top..."

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

With friends like you, who needs paw paws!

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Under the Paw-paw Moon-Prince "I'll die in your arms under the paw-paw moon..."

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

"Ma, ma, where's my pa? Gone to the White House, ha ha ha!" -Election of 1884

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

I think Palin should run under that slogan the next Presidential election. Bea ware.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Naw. Christine's the babe du jour. Czars are unconstitutional, you know.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Do you have the ability to detect paw paw in scat?

A true classic . . .

"Paw-paw Tree"-Peter, Paul & Mary

(Sorry, apparently no PP&M video available for this song)

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely greatest "fruit" song evah . . .

Little Green Paw-Paws ~ O.C. Smith

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

That is a terrific version! I wasn't familiar with it.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Don't sit under the paw paw tree with anyone else but me, anyone else but me...

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

All around the paw paw bush, the monkey chased the weasel.

Paw-Paw Boat Song ~ Harry Belafonte

Here's my favorite version ;-)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

I take that answer to mean you suspect someone laced your food or drink with them at some point.

I wonder if they're more of a generational item or only countryside people know about them.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Okay, here's another version. (Previous attempt from movie "Beetlejuice")

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

A little Country influence? How about . . .

Paw-Paw Blossom Special ~ Johnny Cash

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

I'd bet money Johnny Cash had tried paw paws and loved them!

I have to say I'm in disbelief that cusin autie wasn't familiar with them. I figured he made paw paw wine and duck encrusted paw paw

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Surely Ronda you have heard this ;-)

Paw-Paw Fields Forever ~ The Beatles

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Back in reality, Ag? On the internet? You're such a kidder . .

;-)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Agno, have you eaten them? Thanks for the informative links.

Yes, do be warned. I'm not sure how it affects those who are allergic to the paw paw, but do be careful.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Alright! If that don't get autie on here nuthin' will!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, continuing to say his name may work too. :)

Practicality, those are terrific informative links. Thank you. I'd love to try the wine. I think the paw paw would make a delicious syrup to pour over ice cream or pancakes, waffles. Even vanilla frosting flavored with the juice would be yummy.

Paw paw cookbook, anyone?

Practicality 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I am relatively sure Autie already knows about paw paw wine. In fact, I think one of his cuzins' tried to sell me a bottle out of a Ford Escort one time.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Omg, now that was funny! This is a good time to remind people not to buy anything from a cuzin, or from anyone selling from a ford of any kind. (perhaps even from autie) but you didn't hear bout it here cuz I'm knot sosp tlk bout tit

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Is there absolutely nothing I get to do first? This happens to last born children.

That paw b q sandwich looks interesting. And the ice cream. Yum!

schula 4 years, 3 months ago

I have never had paws paws nor do I know what they look like. I will have to look for some or maybe Ronda can share with me.

Song: Put the paw paw in the coconut and shake it all up

from: Harry Nilsson, Coconut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8P...

I love that song.

I'd be happy to share if I can get access to enough. I'm hoarding all I can find at this point. I'm hoping they freeze. I'm sure roe will post a handy guide any second. That couzn is fast with his fingers. Beware.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

That'd be morin I'd a thunk you'd member bout tat incidedent. I member u waz hidin cuz u r tat boyz mom n paw paw

The paw paw don't fall far from the autie tree

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for checking. I was quite certain that if they were in your area, you would know about it. I am not real familiar with persimmons either, but I have tried them. I don't reckon we had either in nw Kansas. Now, if I find out I could have been eating these hedge apple/Osage oranges all this time, I'll really be happy.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 3 months ago

I've enjoyed paw paws when they are still a bit green-skinned and firm. I've had a paw paw cake but it wasn't very good. I prefer the fruit right off the tree. If it falls when you give the tree a shake, it's usually just right for eating fresh. I try to catch them before they hit the ground. I began to think I might be a bit allergic to them after eating several at a time. Too much niacin, perhaps?

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

How do they make you feel if you've eaten too many of them, JJ? I prefer fruit that hasn't hit the ground too. I don't like bruised or battered fruit unless I beat it up myself as in a recipe. Have you had other cakes made by the same person? Perhaps it's the butcher, the baker, the candle stick maker, or the partaker, and not the paw paw.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 3 months ago

You may be right that Bad Cake Disorder wasn't the paw paw's fault!~) If I eat too many, I feel like I took a huge vitamin B pill. It's kinda like a hot flash...I imagine!~)

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 3 months ago

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

That doesn't sound like a pleasant experience in the least. I certainly wouldn't want to suggest you try them again in case you are allergic to them.

I've heard from a couple of people, who eat and love everything, how they can't stand the flavor. I think they're so mild, how could people not love them?

I just read an article about how they contain a chemical that is more potent than some chemo drugs in fighting prostrate and other cancers.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 3 months ago

I think that the fruit has a slight smoky flavor which develops as they age and could put people off.

I've heard about those cancer fighting paw paw chemicals. Interesting stuff!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Smoky taste? I haven't noticed that in the least. Do they develop that taste as they ripen, or are you referring to an older tree and its fruit?

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

My Dad liked paw paws and ate them when he found them in early autumn. He could spit the seeds a half a block. I never did care for paw paws. Haven't tried one in probably twenty years, so OK, I'll try one soon & see if my opinion has changed. The coolest thing about paw paws is the unique bloom they put out in spring. I find them when hunting morels. BTW, I wouldn't eat a persimmon for nuthin. Bleah!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 3 months ago

I like the earthy smell of that bizarre, dark puce flower. I've heard the smell, and possibly the color, attracts sarcophagic flies for pollination purposes. http://www.vaiden.net/pawpaw_flower.jpg

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Lovely flower. I've read not to plant them close to where you might have a deck or likely to open a window. I guess it's supposedly quite pungent, although there again people vary considerably on what they think smells good. I can hardly stand the smell of lilies and some early bloomh bulb flowers.

Thanks for the view, JJ

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

I've read that the bloom is quite pungent and draws many winged friends. I'm hoping I'll get bushels from your source.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

Send "Paw Paw Love" Ringtone to your Cell frame And they called it Paw Paw love Oh, I guess they'll never know How a young heart really feels And why I love Paw Paw so

And they called it Paw Paw love Just because we're in our teens Tell them all, please tell them it isn't fair To take away my only dream

I cry each night my tears for you My tears are all in vain I'll hope and I'll pray that maybe someday You'll be back in my mouth once again

Someone help me, help me, help me please Is the answer up above How can I, how can I tell them? This is not a Paw Paw love

Someone help me, help me please Is the answer a tree above How can I, how can I tell them? This is not a Paw Paw love

This is not a Paw Paw love This is not a Paw Paw love

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Good one, gnome! I'm adding that to my phone now. Do you eat paw paws?

deadanimals 4 years, 3 months ago

I hate to tease, but I had a really good one the other day from a tree near downtown. Based on that tree, and another that i keep an eye on, it should be a good crop this year.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Now you're being just plain cruel. If I give you a location, will you tell me if I'm getting warmer or cooler? :)

I guess I'll be strolling around through nature a lot the next couple of weeks. I'm assuming the ones I've had were either a different variety or in full sun and that explains the ripening difference, or does the fruit actually ripen differently over a few weeks?

schula 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey everyone! I wanted to give you all the afternoon off! Have a great weekend. Happy paw paw hunting!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks. Have a great weekend yourself. I do plan on exploring the wilds for paw paw. Okay, so that means south park.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 3 months ago

Try the Woodridge area of Clinton Lake, very near to the south end of the camping area.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks. I appreciate the tip. I've also been made aware of some in town. Cool.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Cool paw paw cream, nice paw paw tart. I feel your taste while we're apart.

The Beatles: 'Savory Truffle'

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Good afternoon, have I missed anything??!!!

Found a few more . . .

"Old Dogs, Children, and Paw-Paw Wine" by Tom T. Hall

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

She's got the way to move my paw paw! Lol

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

And here it is. really. at least a version of it. for you Ronda

;-)

Paw Paw Song

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Roe, I remember when that was recorded. It wyz a famly reuon last tim we waz al togethy. Autie waz singin 'the led per usul

Did you read below the title? It said rhonda wore a dress because of gas. I kid you not. Lol.

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh my Paw Paw To me he was so wonderful Oh my Paw Paw To me he was so good... :)

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

Low by Flo Rida

"Shawty had those Paw Paw Bottom jeans boots with the fur. The whole club was lookin' at her."

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani

" Let me hear you say This Sh*t is Paw Paws, P-A-W-P-A-W-S"

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

"God didn't make Little Green Paw Paws And it don't rain in Indianaplaws in the summer time"

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

I'll take that vote and 'run' with it, Jay_lo!

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

What can I say? You gotta love Louis Prima

"Paw Paw Split for my Baby"

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

I never did a Paw Paw eat Though Ronda says they can't be beat When in the mood for something sweet Her dear Paw Paw she likes to greet

I never have a Paw Paw ate But Ronda says they're really great When fruit's in season as of late A Paw Paw eater is her fate

I never did a Paw Paw chew Though Ronda says they're good it's true "Good to the core" she eats a few And likes to spit the seeds out too

I never did a Paw Paw chomp Though Ronda speaks of them with pomp Over miles she'd surely stomp To a Paw Paw patch where she could romp

I never did a Paw Paw munch Though Ronda says they're good with lunch Says they really pack a punch So grab yourself a big ol' bunch

I never did a Paw Paw sample But Ronda says they're truly ample That through the woods she'd even trample To find a sweet and ripe example

I never did a Paw Paw nibble And have the juice down my chin dribble I'm sure Ronda would never quibble They're so much better than bits and kibble

I never did a Paw Paw bite But thanks to Ronda I just might If ever one crosses my sight I'll see if they're a true delight

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah, Jay is back in town! :)

I hope you're feeling well I hope you're feeling swell I thing I can tell and that is 'you write poetry very well'

If I had a paw paw, I'd share it with jay jay You could count on it night and day day If I had a paw paw, I'd share it with you you Enjoy watching you chew chew If I get some paw paw, gonna give you a call call Maybe meet you halfway at a mall mall And split em' and spit em' with y'all! Yes, that's what we'd do do

cveejer 4 years, 3 months ago

My wife and I attended the Ohio Pawpaw Festival September 17-19, 2010 and we were pleasantly surpised at the quality and selection of venues. Fresh pawpaws, pawpaw beer, pawpaw flavored deserts, and a host of other Ohio/Midwestern oriented vendors, including a snake tent(!) from Hocking College of mostly indigenous species, provided a most welcome diversion from the norm. Certainly we'll attend next year! Needless to say, the pawpaws we purchased were delicious-as were those we sampled from the Ohio Pawpaw Competition! Further, with Ohio Univeristy, my alma mater, just minutes away, we had simply a terrific and rewarding trip and lots of laughs! Highly recommended!

Cvee,

Thanks for sharing your experience and information. You won't have to go all the way to Ohio, unless you want to. I went to the local Farmer's Market this morning, and although I didn't find a tree to buy, I did find several fine paw paw to purchase. Select choices they are indeed. Butternut Thai curry this evening followed by fresh paw paw with lime juice.

One of the other vendors knew I was on the search. He shared that there is a paw paw festival this coming weekend. Bring your Maw and paw! I hope to see you there. Btw, was the paw paw beer non alcoholic?

Haha. Good one. Catchy song

Paw paw in my mouth. :)

So I searched on the KU campus for the elusive paw paw tree but found none. Lots of crab apples, almost ripe persimmons, walnuts and acorn though!

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

Paw Paw - Novel

Paw paw, paw paw, fresh squeezed juice drippin when I soak it up. I know it's ripe sweet paw paw, Can I have a bite get ya fruit on. Paw paw, wit the chocolate melt, Let me dip ya paw paw in my glass of milk. My paw paws peel the skin, We could have a fruit salad, you can call a friend.

Chorus:

I can eat a paw paw for an hour, especially when it's sweet not sour. I love it when it's juicy, doin somethin to me. I can eat a paw paw for an hour.

Maybe we can talk for an hour, maybe take a rain drop shower. You can be my queen, I can be yo king. I can eat a paw paw for an hour.

Paw paw fuzz, no stem, Rubbin' on the hairs of my chinny chin chin. A special taste makes a fine wine, I could crush paw paws turn it into fine wine. Girly girlies know what I mean, that thing, whipped cream get ya fruit on. All these girls all the same, Paw paw, paw paw , paw paw.

Chorus

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

Wow. I'm impressed! :)

How are you doing?

Jay_lo 4 years, 3 months ago

Doing pretty good. Still have a couple of issues. Go back to the doc this week to get progress checked out.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Keep me informed. I'm hoping you're feeling well enough to backyard it with us in October.

This week is what Fall is all about. It's been a long wait, but well worth it.

Practicality 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey Ronda,

They mention Paw Paws in todays 100 years ago article.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for thinking of us and sharing, Practicality. I'll check it out. I suspect more people were familiar with them back in the day.

Practicality 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah I agree. Back when it was harder to get fresh fruit I am sure they were quite popular around here.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

The stats about their nutritional value are fairly amazing. They rank right up there with the banana on some things and higher in vitamin C, niacin, protein, etc. I'd be happy to fill my freezer with a free fruit source. How about you? :).

I read if you purée them they freeze well - or freeze them whole. I figure they'd be great for protein drinks, smoothies, etc.

Arborius 4 years, 2 months ago

You just missed the pawpaw harvest in West Virginia's northern panhandle

Ronda Miller 4 years, 2 months ago

Arbor, You're supposed to tell me' 'before' the event! Lol

I see I'll have to plan my vacation time around paw paw festivals next year. That would be fun. Thanks for letting me know about this one. I have relatives in the Richmond area so it might be doable. Have a great day!

blindrabbit 4 years, 2 months ago

Here's one from Euell Gibbons (from "Stalking the Wild Asparagus") PawPaw Pie. Really good!!!! By the way, I'd tell you where to look for them, but these haunts are more protected than morel mushroom sites. None on KU campus that I know of, someone should plant some down by Potter's Lake (Ideal location)

Ingredients:

1 cup ripe paw paw pulp (peel off the skin and push through sieve to remove seeds). (Dipping the fruit for a few seconds in boiling water helps in removing the skin).

1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup white sugar 1 package regular unflavored (Knox) gelatin 2/3 cup milk 1 graham cracker pie shell (8 inch shell) 3 eggs (separate yolks from whites).

Mix together salt, gelatin, brown sugar, 3 egg yolks (slightly beaten) and milk. Heat to a boil in saucepan. Then mix with paw paw pulp and chill 1/2 hour in refrigerator. Whip egg whites, gradually adding white sugar to stiffen, fold into paw paw mixture and pour into pie shell (or serve in parfait glasses if you don't want pie)

Serve cold either open top or with cool-whip topping.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 2 months ago

Blind, now that sounds right delicious! I know what I'll be making and taking to a party this evening. Well, if I can find a paw paw source.

I can hardly wait to give this one a try. Clinton Parkway Nursery does sell the tree, so I may have to buy my own.

Thanks?