LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

The Kindest Act

In a world where people seem all too eager to get in heated discussions about raising children, how to fix the environment, or how best to drown the tea party, it's time to take a look in a different direction.

Let's spend some time remembering the kindest acts you've done for a complete stranger. It'd be terrific if you'd share some positive actions that you've been the recipient of too.

I initially remembered simple things - offering extra change to someone cash short ahead of me in the checkout lane, waving someone ahead of you at a busy intersection, but we've likely all done these, or continue to on a daily basis.

Think long and hard. Go beyond simple material offerings, although they count too, and share some of your better moments with 'us'.

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

There are several things that come to mind when I think of kindness bestowed on me. A few that stand out in this moment include: being taken in by foster parents and relatives many, many years ago - this enabled me to pay it forward and offer my own home to children of various ages.

I try to make an attempt when I'm hurt deeply by someone to take the energy that could be used in something revengeful or vindictive and use it instead to do something kind for the person you've been hurt by. They don't have to know, but it helps make you grow as a person and rise above the issue.

schula 4 years, 8 months ago

On my way home from work last night, traffic was backed up on 19th Street near the high school. There was a car wanting out of the high school parking lot and one wanting in, so I let both of them go.

A kindness done to me was by all my friends I made when I discovered tRonda's blog. They were a help to me when I was going through my divorce and when my grandfather.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

That made my day and many other people's, schula. Thank you.

I'm sure as you give thought to this topic, you'll remember all types of reciprocal acts of kindness. I know you to volunteer and be giving on so many levels.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Sticks and stones . . . While online, especially here, I am bulletproof! (Well, you may know better ;-)

However . . . back in the '70's our newspaper was delivered by a young man with the help of his father. This young man had Down Syndrome, and one day while collecting for the paper he rang the door bell while I wasn't home. Mrs Roe was a little uneasy when he barged in asking to talk to me as she opened the door. Disappointed that I wasn't there he told her," I like Roe, he treats me like a real person." That statement has stayed with me all these years and guides my response to everyone, regardless of ability or lack thereof.

Most of the time . . .

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Great story, Roe. I hope he's still in your life in some manner - or more importantly, you're in his.

It's interesting how much 'we learn how to treat other people from those with disabilities, and it's always nice to learn you've left a positive touch on someone's life.

I'd have to agree with his assessment. Well stated.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Indeed! But go ahead and share acts of kindness you've received. :)

Did you get my private the other day?

RJM 4 years, 8 months ago

I know that the kindest thing that anyone has ever done for me was the article that Ronda wrote about my recent illness and the thoughts that she had about me. We hadn't talked for at least 30 years and to know that there was still a place for me in her heart certainly helped in my healing process. I don't know any of you that read her blog but from that post it tells me that youall are blessed to have her in your life.

Ralph mims

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

A few years back at an Interstate rest area, I saw a group of people standing around a car, trying to do something to it. I was a little curious, so I kept my eye on the situation for a couple minutes. Then, everyone except for one woman got into the car parked next to it, and drove away.

I walked up to the woman and saw that she was trying to jam a coat hanger into the window of her car. "I locked my keys inside my car," she told me.

I knew that wouldn't work and so I told her, "Don't do that, it won't work, and it will leak forever! You need to call a locksmith!"

Then she said something about how money was tight, she was visiting relatives that she hadn't seen in 14 years, and she sure didn't want to show up asking for money. I told her (this was from experience) that it wouldn't be that much, and she should go over to the pay phone and call a locksmith. So she headed over to the phone.

A couple minutes later she came back and said, "I can't get a locksmith."

I looked at her and said, "We can get a locksmith." Then, I went to the pay phone and dialed 911. I told the emergency dispatcher about the situation. It was starting to rain, and could he please send a patrol officer out right away to wait with her while she waited for a locksmith?"

OK, I think I made it sound like a much greater emergency than it really was. Anyway, next thing, the dispatcher wanted to talk to her. I don't know what he asked her, but she had to think a while, then she said, "Four." Then she hung up and told me that a locksmith was on his way.

We waited for a bit, there were just the two of us. After a while, the locksmith showed up, and started to do what locksmiths do in that situation. While she was on the other side of the car, I quietly asked him, "How much is this going to cost?"

$37.50 was the answer. So I handed him two $20 bills and told him, "Well, I gotta go," and quietly idled my engine as I left.

I took one last glace back as I was leaving. She was looking over the locksmith's shoulder, still obviously concerned, and she didn't notice me leaving.

I have often snickered when thinking about that event, and about what she must have thought when she asked what the fee would be, and received change instead.

And then being all alone inside her car again, with no one around.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Great story, Ron. I must be jaded though as my concern was that the locksmith pocketed the money and charged her anyway! I know, I hate how my mind is untrusting too.

Hopefully, he was as nice a person as you are. Maybe she'll see this and finally find you all these years. Stranger things have happened. Just look at RJM's and my story!

I hope she has paid it forward as they say.

How about you -what acts of kindness have been bestowed on you?

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, it did occur to me that he might have pocketed the money, but he didn't know that we were strangers so I tend to think that's unlikely. And as for meeting her again, I doubt that very much, she was from Denver and not headed to anywhere near here.

I had to leave out some details. We talked about a few things while we waited. She was a Pentacostal, and I am sure that when she got home, she had the whole church praying for me!

There's no other explaination for how I got so lucky in so many situations later, and how I got out of a couple speeding tickets!

But back to the locksmith pocketing the money, here's a clip from the web:

Q: Should tzedakah be given to someone we suspect of deception? It is better to give to a deceiver than to risk depriving the deserving of relief.

Q: Is it preferable to give tzedakah openly or anonymously? Every effort must be made to avoid causing shame or humiliation to the recipient of tzedakah. As it is written in the Talmud, when R, Yannai observed somebody giving money to a poor man in public, he said: "Better not to have given him anything than to have given and caused humiliation." The most famous formulation of laws concerning the relationship of donor to recipient is Maimonides' Eight Degrees of Charity.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

The Talmud is beautifully written as seen from your examples just now. I need to read it. I'd love to read it.

I know how grateful the people at the homeless shelter are when we provide simple meals. I've often wondered about open and obvious means of giving. I'm sure they do affect how 'the person feels about themselves and their self worth. Thanks for bringing this to light.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

You're in luck about reading the Talmud - a definitive translation into English by Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz is just about to be published. But that would take quite a while to read, because it's in 20 volumes. It's approximately the length of the Encyclopedia Britannica. And since it was completed about the year 700, a lot of it is not applicable to our modern times. (That is the Reform Jewish point of view, Orthodox is different.)

However there are other books that contain the essence of it without many parts which are not applicable to our modern times, and without its enormous length. I'll ask the rabbi for a suggestion for you.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Well I just really showed my ignorance on that one! I was clueless as to how long it is. Please do let me know what your Rabbi suggests. Thanks!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

P.S. Saturday is Yom Kippur, so this is a very appropriate time for this blog!

Mazel tov!

BorderRuffian 4 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm, from the Christian scriptures, Jesus stated, ""Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."(Matthew 6:1 NIV) These acts of righteousness, (tzedakah) are best done simply because it is right, without thought of fame or reward as a result.

He also, in the25th chapter of Matthew equated acts of righteousness (tzedakah) to others as being equivalent to doing the same to Him. I note that in those passages, there are no qualifications placed on the righteousness of the recipient, simply the obligation on everyone to help those in need.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

How does this relate with handing someone food?

This seems to be a valid point as far as not embarrassing the person receiving the act of kindness, but often there is no other way to assist except publicly.

I always enjoy hearing the stories at Christmas of people dressed as Santa who give random gifts to people.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

Back to your question, "What acts of kindness have been bestowed on you?"

Let's leave that one alone, but there have been very many, and they were very personal. In most cases it was when people were very non judgmental about my problems.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Understood. In the darkness of night a light shines. Sometimes another hand turns the light on, at other times a hand guides us towards 'the light. Often, the light comes from above.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Wow, RJM, I'm touched. It's been an example to me' of how important it is to let people know how much we care about them on a regular basis. That seems to be a life lesson that keeps coming up to me again and again. I'm hoping I learned it this time. :)

I'm truly thankful that I had a chance to let you know what an impact you made on my life when I was in shock and loss over my Father's homicide. I know I didn't have a clue at the time how much your standing beside me helped. Sometimes 'we' do get a second chance. I'm grateful we did. ! I love you!

RJM 4 years, 8 months ago

I read the other day that "the true measure of friendship is not how long you've know someone but is the ones that come into your life and never left. " You come into my life so many years ago and never left my heart.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Would you stop making me cry then! Seriously, but they are years of joy. :)

I love the saying - it's right on target! Back at you, big guy! Now if 'we actually ever get an opportunity to meet in person again. Your wife looks lovely and I'm dying to get a picture with you holding my children on your lap now! Hehe

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 8 months ago

My son was born a month early and had special needs. As a consequence, the first year after he was born I couldn't work. He was receiving care through the Shriner's Hospital in St Louis and the first Christmas after he was born the Shriner's unit that sponsored him got together and bought all kinds of toys for him and his sisters for Christmas. They also bought well over 300 dollars worth of groceries. I sat in the middle of the living room on the floor and just bawled at the kindness of these men. Two years later in a "pay it forward" I anonymously "adopted" a woman with three children in a battered women's shelter. She was moving in to her own apartment for the first time and had absolutely nothing.I provided a complete Christmas for her and her children including even the tree, lights and ornaments. I worked with a tremendous number of single moms. One of my best work friends was the dingle mother of two teenage boys. She had told her sons that they were going to have to wait for her income tax refund to get Christmas. She couldn't qualify for Christmas assistance because her kids were teenagers. After work one day I insisted she come to my house for coffee. I handed her a Christmas card with 200$ in it and told her to go buy at least a few things for her boys so there was something under their tree and to get the stuff for Christmas dinner. She sat in my couch and bawled too, bless her heart.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Wonderful examples! Don't you wish you were someone like Oprah so you could afford to surprise people in wonderful ways daily!

It's nice to pay it forward. Think of how many others you've encouraged to do the same thing!

I've heard that MRI's show it's more enjoyable for people to give rather than receive, I absolutely agree.

schula 4 years, 8 months ago

RJM -- I must say I agree with your assessment of Ronda. I have been truly blessed to have her in my life.

When my grandpa died, all of my co-workers provided a very nice lunch for my family after the funeral. They were truly a blessing to us. On a personal note, one of my co-workers wrote in a card that I do so much for everyone else that I need to remember to take time for myself. That note really touched my heart.

As Ronda mentioned, I do lots of volunteer work, mainly with the Humane Society when they have their annual garage sale. It is a lot of work to get everything sorted and ready to sell. The reward is the money made for the animals. They don't have a voice and need us to take care of them. The Lawrence Humane Society does a great job of taking care of the animals.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Just thinking of all those furry beating bodies with huge, dependent eyes looking up at you lovingly and thankfully. Sweet! :)

kernal 4 years, 8 months ago

I think it's all the little things we do for each other day to day, whether it's holding a door open for a mother who has her hands full with babies and packages, for someone on crutches on an icy day or letting someone go ahead of you in the grocery line when their child is obviously sick. They all add up and I really believe by setting the example, those we help will in turn help others. It all comes back somehow, someway.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree! Perfect examples of how we can live in the moment in an enjoyable manner instead of rushing through our lives striving towards 'the future. I know from experience how quickly a kind act can change a mood - and again, being the person who gives is greater than receiving.

Jay_lo 4 years, 8 months ago

As I enjoy writing simple poetry, I do so many times simply as a way of saying thank you, or acknowledging someone's accomplishments.

Following a bake sale at work, I wrote a simple little poem extolling the delicious pies that one of my co-workers provided. She emailed me back that what I had said was the nicest thing anyone had ever said to her.

As I pondered that response, it occurred to me that she apparently had not received very many compliments in her life.

From that point on, I have made it a priority to tell people thank you when I see them perform an act of kindness or helpfulness, to compliment people when the opportunity arises, and to congratulate people on their accomplishments.

For example, every year following the Relay for Life, I write and send company wide a poem praising the efforts of the company team. One year I handed out a personal thank you along with a single flower to every member of the team.

Another example, when we reach a certain number of accident free days, we are treated to a free meal at work. I always write a company wide poem expressing thanks for the meal to those who made the meal possible, the company executives who allow the expense, those who either prepare or help serve the meal, the safety committee, and especially my fellow co-workers who worked safely over that period of time.

I know that most people who perform charitable acts do not do it for the acknowledgement, but I also think it only takes a few seconds to let them know that they and their efforts are appreciated. And for all you know, it might be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to them.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

And make no mistake, Jay, your kindness shows through every time you appear on my blog. Your huge heart beats loudly enough that 'we all hear it. Thanks for being a part of my life through your online words and person of good will.

Never take for granted simple acts or words, 'we may truly not appreciate what they can mean to those who aren't accustomed to such things. Sad, yet precious.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

I hope this isn't my kindest act, but it is the first to come to mind. I live in Phoenix, and in the summer the heat is just brutal. 110 to 115 isn't that uncommon in the summer, and it is almost always above 100. So I always have a case of water in the car. I regularly stop and give people a bottle who look like they can use it. This includes people waiting for buses, the "Will work for food" people on the street corners, and the day laborers standing out in the heat looking for work. It isn't money, so they can't buy drugs or anything, but it is what they need. I rarely get turned down when I offer, and people are always grateful. It is a little thing, I know, but I like doing it.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Dehydration is a sneaky killer. You may have saved a life or two. Sounds very kind to me . . .

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

As Kernal stated so well, it is often the small acts of kindness that add up. Even if you didn't save a life, which you may have, you likely saved many from dehydration headaches which are quite nasty. And think how long the memory of that surprise event has lasted for them - likely a lifetime.

How about acts you've had bestowed on you?

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Christown mall is now named Spectrum (everyone still calls it Christown, however). I don't go their much. A bit out of my way, but I do remember the sand sculptures during the holidays. Not sure if they still do it. Always very fun.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll bet anything you've remembered his name by now! Our minds seem to keep digging until they find that knowledge. In any case, that was a terrific story, act of kindness and Xmas story all rolled into one. You told it so well - unexpected kind acts are the greatest!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

So, Jesse, did you reconsider that karma thing after your neighbor's assistance?

You sure went above and beyond helping others out that Christmas morning (I love how two of these have occurred at Christmas time) and I'm sure the recipients still remember your act of kindness. It sounds as though your neighbor is like minded - either that or he wanted out of the house - tired of wrapping gifts and putting things together. Lol.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 8 months ago

I must be getting sentimental in my old age. Reading these posts have had me choking up through the whole thing! As for acts of kindness that I try to show; my family raised me with pretty traditional "country" values. I'm only 27 but I tend to act like a 1940's housewife in many areas of my life. I find myself unable to stop from giving everyone a compliment, even if it's for something as simple as their nail polish or how well behaved their children are. You wouldn't believe how BIG that makes some people smile! I've gotten out of my car at 23rd and Louisiana in 5 inch heels and helped a mom with 2 babies in the car push her car out of the intersection (when no one else would help??) Given people all the help I'm capable of giving, both friends and strangers.

As for the acts of kindness I've received, the ones that are most special to me are really quite simple. I've suffered with depression for most of my life and as an adult, when I'm feeling extremely low and all around worthless I keep it very hidden. No one knows anything is wrong. Yet, somehow, it's like God? is guiding them but I will get a random text message from a random friend saying "I was thinking about you today! I hope everything's good!" and that manages to lift the dark and depressing feelings, even if only for a little bit. Also, when I was in junior high and high school, I had a really rough time with my parents. I used to walk down the block, sit on the corner and cry my eyes out. I mean, I'd really be sobbing. Toward the end of my senior year I was considering some really bad choices one of those times and without knowing anything other than I was crying, my neighbor - a woman a little older than my mom, came outside and just hugged me for an hour and never said a word. Thanks to her I'm still around today.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, your story certainly put tears in my eyes!

I'm glad you're still around and have survived some of 'the tough 'growing pains' times. I think, hope and pray, that surviving those rough times helps make it more likely to survive future ones - it's no guarantee. I believe sometimes young people will have a loss, or experience, they just don't think they can survive.

It's not fun having to go forward, but 'we come to appreciate that 'we can and do survive, still have moments of pleasure, find areas of peace, and look forward to lending other people a helping hand. I suspect you continue to be very good at that - wearing five inch heels or barefoot! :)

Thanks for expressing yourself so well and sharing some touching moments from your life with 'us'.

schula 4 years, 8 months ago

Here is an act of kindness for all of you -- I am giving everyone the day off starting at 11:15. Have a great Friday afternoon and rest of the weekend!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

That's truly kind! It's a beautiful day to have the afternoon off too. I think lazing on a blanket with a good book would be the thing to do. That and random acts of kindness. Thanks, Schula!

schula 4 years, 8 months ago

That sounds like a great way to spend Friday afternoon. However, I will be having lunch with my uncle and my grandma. We will probably do a bit of shopping, too.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks schula! And without knowing it I clocked out at 10:30 and came home!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Who said life has to be fair? Did anyone actually say that? I'll be working until six. :( But looking forward to a very fun filled weekend.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh great. Here I was, ready to sneak out early and go see a movie, and schula has given everyone the day off! With everyone off, who will be running the projector? Who will be putting too much butter on my popcorn even though I told them just a little butter? Who will take my ticket? Gee, thanks schula.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Schula is kind enough to go to the movie and butter your corn, run the projector, etc. You may need to buy her a plane ticket to your area, however.

Schula, were you giving the entire world off or just Kansans? Think carefully before answering this one. :)

schula 4 years, 8 months ago

I was only giving the the day off to those that participate on your blogs.

Bea -- I think you will be ok to enjoy a movie and some nice buttery popcorn. Please let us know what you see and if it was worth the time/money.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 8 months ago

This is a fun discussion thread, but sometimes the kindest thing you can do for a stranger is stay out of their business. Especially in places like Lawrence people are way too aggressive about approaching strangers, and it's just a little self-important drama they are putting on to show what "Good Samaritans" they are. People need to use better judgment and more perceptiveness about when to bother those they don't know. People around Lawrence have been trained up into a mindless version of profiling and bigotry("Help the old lady"..."Help the cripple" ) that involves choosing people out for different, demeaning treatment for profiling and discriminatory reasons. I certainly don't welcome braindead people getting overly personal. It's a safety hazard, and no one should have to put up with such a terroristic onslaught to their dignity. It's politically and spiritually unaware.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't really see it as "helping the old lady" or "helping the cripple" so much as just plain manners. I think in the future, the happiest moments of my life will be to see my children act with the same type of manners and values as I was brought up with. I can't tell you every decision I've made in my life is the right one. However, I CAN tell you that even being 27, not exactly the "little old lady", I find it helpful and kind when someone holds a door open or if I have my hands full with a fussing baby, a shopping cart, keys, purse, and diaper bag the helpful stranger that stops to help me pick up the pacifier that dropped or even helps me load my groceries into my car means the world to me and I try to turn around and do the same thing for others. I don't think thats being pushy or overly personal, and I certainly don't think it compromises my dignity, in fact, these people give me hope in a society of "every man for his self" ...of course there is a limit to kindness where it pushes at the edges of creepy but these stories seem truly done out of the goodness of peoples hearts and are received as such.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Equal, I understand what you're saying, I think it's a bit generalized or overstated, perhaps. I don't think everyone anyone, is any specific way every time. I personally would rather be asked several times if I needed help when I did need it rather than not asked once.

It's hard to overdue kindness -enabling, that's a whole different discussion.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

I had to think about this for a while, then I remembered one of the nicest things anyone ever did for me. Actually, it wasn't just one person, it was at least three.

I was driving to California but hadn't made it out of Kansas yet when the alternator went out on my car about midnight. I was fortunate that I made it to the very small town of Bucklin, Kansas, where it seemed that my broken down car was the whole town's problem.

First off, a relative of the West Side Motel's owner took a look, and agreed with me that the alternator had failed. So, I was checked into the motel for the night at a rate that was unbelievably low. The following day, I met Mr. Travis Price, who owns a car repair business in Bucklin. He dropped everything and replaced the alternator the next day with a rebuilt part from O'Reilly Auto Parts. He explained to me that it came with a replacement warranty that would cover the part but not the labor, and with the paperwork, the warranty was good nationwide.

The next day I left the repair shop, turned the corner, and the new alternator went out. I drove around the block and they were surprised to see me again, since they thought they had sent me on my way to California.

Mr. Travis Price was not pleased at all. He ordered in two different makes of alternator, and I had to wait another day at the West Side Motel. And even though the labor to replace the part was not included in the O'Reilly Auto Part alternator's warranty, he didn't charge a dime extra for having to replace the part twice!

Moral of the story: If your car ever breaks down in a town where you don't know anyone, hope that town just happens to be Bucklin, Kansas!

mom_of_three 4 years, 8 months ago

Bucklin, Kansas is a friendly place! When I was just a kid, my dad, step mom, half sister and younger sister were on our way to Garden City, towing a trailer with horses. Back in those days,we could ride in the topper in the truck and were fine. Well, my dad was slowing down and we were getting off the highway. My sister and I looked through the window and my baby sister was turning blue. My dad was waving anyone down to find out where the nearest hospital was. He got a truck to stop and the truck led us to the hospital in nearby Bucklin. The hospital was on one end of the building and a nursing home on the other. My parents were with my little sister, and the hospital staff checked on us, bringing us popsicles and all. The hospital found someone to take care of the horses and took me and my sister in for the night. We were terrified and the family went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and fed us dinner. We left during the night, my baby sister in the ambulance and us following in the truck and trailer. I always remember the town of Bucklin fondly.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Wow, if not for the charity of strangers. Great story, mom. I'll bet you've found lots of ways to pay it forward.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Actually your story just reminded me' of another, Ron.

Several years ago I was in my Buick and it stopped running after a few weird sounds. I was across town but here in Lawrence. I called Triple A and a nice young driver came out. He said he knew a lot about cars as his grandfather had owned a station, so instead of towing it to Rich's station, per my request, he put oil in it and said he'd fixed it and left. I began driving the car and soon it began to smoke. I, like the idiot I am, was determined to make it to Rich's station this time. As I pulled in, Rich happened to be standing by the gas pumps and when I rolled my window down, he informed me my engine was ruined. I was devastated. I was a younger single mom with no money. He tebuilt the engine and took it upon himself to have the tow company the Tripe A sent out reimburse me'. Unfortusnteky it went bust and Rich never got his money back. He never told me. A woman who worked at his station informed me' at the grocery store one evening. Needless to say, I stood there and cried. I've Bern a faithful client ever since.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

'Were' works for me. The song, 'son of a preacher man' just came to mind. Yes, he was, yes, he was. Oh, yes he was!

In this case, not 'the preacher, or the daughter of one. I've never been to Ottumwa either. Everyone should own a Buick, though. :)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Sorry about the above errors - with iPhone.

I had a chance to give a car to a woman with several small children following that time. She was having to walk to a bus stop, then take her children to daycare, walk back to a bus stop and then catch a bus to work. She'd repeat that process in the evening. I was thrilled everytime I saw her driving that car. (especially since my own children would run and hide when I'd go to pick them up from school). It was a very old Subura that just didn't stop. And her children were still too young to care! :)

BorderRuffian 4 years, 8 months ago

One simple way to do something good, for not a whole lot of money: next time you go grocery shopping, grab a few cans of stew or chunky-style soup and carry them with you in the car. Then, the next time you pass one of those "will work for food" guys on the street corner, roll down the window and hand them a can or two. It will give them something to eat without having to feel guilty about the possibility of giving them cash to buy booze or drugs with. Try it - it'll give you a great feeling to be truly helpful.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

This is a terrific suggestion as long as the canned goods aren't freezing, then thawing. That could make the good toxic indeed, particularly if they contain a protein source.

Judy Grant 4 years, 8 months ago

We were in France a couple of years ago, driving on our own. It was getting rather late. We were to stay at a bed&breakfast that night,but couldn't find it. We stopped at a convenience store to get gas and ask for directions. The people inside all gathered around to look at our directions and give advice. Of course, they could speak English. We couldn't speak French. As we left with some guidance, a young man came out and got out his own maps to search for where this place might be and called the number and found the directions. He spent his own time and his own phone minutes. Anybody who says the French people aren't friendly, probably hasn't been there.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Judy, good point. I hate hearing American tourists bad mouthing the people who live in the country they're visiting - and it's sad when we're referred to as 'ugly Americans'. It's great you had a positive experience, but it's equally difficult imagining the two of you being anything other than gracious and friendly. Wonderful memories!

I'm glad to see you on here.

twinetowngirl 4 years, 8 months ago

This is not my greatest act of kindness but I was downtown on Mass and came across one of the homeless guys selling their monthy newsletters. I was interested, and bought one, after a few min of talking with the fellow, I felt the biggest desire to give the guy a hug. It just came to me, and I felt guided to do so. I asked him if I could hug him...I don't know if it made him feel any better, but the feeling I got has lasted for years. Hugs can do wonders. And yes, he was clean cut and shaven, but I think that even if he was not, I would have felt the need to hug him.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, I'm sure he remembers. He probably thought he dreamed it the next day! You give great hugs.

You're doing an act of kindness very frequently and I only know what I've observed. You're making quite a difference in at least one little life. And you're reaping the benefits along with some heavy heart moments.

I hope to see you soon and get a hug myself. I've met someone who knows your parents -well, kinda sorta met them! :)

Have a terrific weekend, Twinetown girlie! :)

acg 4 years, 8 months ago

A few weeks ago I was at Kwik Shop (QT?) at 6th and Waka area and I noticed this nicely dressed gal buying a gas can inside. She started filling it up near where I was pumping my gas a few minutes later and I asked her if she ran out of gas somewhere. She had, a little way up 6th street. So I helped her fill her gas can (she was having a heck of a time, spilling it all down her pants and stuff) and then I gave her a ride to her car and waited to make sure it would start. She seemed legitimately surprised that someone would do that for her. I get it, these days you can't just give rides to strangers and all, but I would hope that someone would do it for me.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure she did appreciate it if it was as hot 'the day you assisted her as it has been this summer. It sounds a little scary for her if she had spilled it on herself. That could spark some danger!

I'm benefiting from an act of kindness right now. Some friends invited me along to the comedy club at the Legends.

MaryKatesPillStash 4 years, 8 months ago

I was visiting Boston in 2004 and was out late partying with some friends one night. I was taking the subway back to my hotel, and I stupidly (and probably drunkenly) put my handbag down on the bench right next to me at the station. A man sprinted by and snatched it. It all happened so fast, all I could do was shake my head in disbelief as pretty much no one in the vicinity even batted an eyelash at the act.

I made my way back to my hotel on the local train, panicking, as I had to be on the plane home the next morning. I stopped at several stops to look for a police station. How would I get on the plane without my ID? How would I drive my car home from the airport without my keys? How would I do anything without any money or my cell phone to make phone calls?

I asked the person at the front desk of the hotel if I could use the phone to file a police report so I could maybe get on the plane. She said "hold on--what's your name?" I told her. She retrieved my handbag from behind the desk. She said that a woman had delivered it there, and that the woman had seen a man throw it into a dumpster. The woman told the hotel clerk that she had gotten it out of the dumpster, looked in my wallet, found my hotel card, and called Holiday Inns until she had found my hotel. Everything was there, except the 10 or 15 dollars I'd had in my wallet.

I wish that woman had left her name. I would have sent her flowers every day for a month. She saved me so much inconvenience and worry. Even more importantly, she taught me a lesson--the power of doing such a kind act anonymously. I get tears in my eyes when I think about what she did. I hope that she still gets an amazing feeling when she thinks about it, and that she has told the story of her kind act just as people are doing here.

MaryK,

I hope the thief didn't take your stash of pills along with the 15 dollars! :)

Terrific story - now that's an example of going above and beyond to assist someone. What have you done to pay it forward?

I've found a couple of purses that have been lost as someone went around a corner and the purse, left sitting on the roof of the car, slid off. It's a great feeling to be able to return something you know is so important to people.

Me, I only seem to leave coffee cups on my car's roof and then I hear a crash as I take a cor ner too fast. It beats a baby in a car seat, though.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Ha! That reminded me . . . Several years ago I saw a car leave Walmart as I was pulling into the lot. On the back bumper of her Jeep Wagoneer sat her purse. Instead of going in I followed her, trying to get her to stop. The more I tried to get her attention, the faster she drove, so I backed off and followed in case the purse fell. When she pulled into her driveway she jumped out of her car screaming at me to stop following her. I didn't say a word, just pointed at her purse that had somehow hung on for over 14 miles. She flagged me back to thank me, and said part of her panic was she couldn't find her purse or cell phone to call the police on me.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

I bet she was scared to death! For all those people who don't already know this, do not drive to your house if you think you're being followed. Drive to the police station.

I'm glad she didn't appear to be armed, Roe. You just never know these days what people are carrying or concealing! I bet she felt badly for giving you the come Jesus, but understandable.