LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

November 11 - Take your Veteran for a Sundae

Veteran's Day is no joke. I hold nothing but respect and honor for the several veterans I've been influenced by in my life time. I'm sure you do as well.

On the other hand, we wouldn't want to totally ignore the fact that it's also National Sundae Day. (sometimes I feel like nuts, sometimes I don't!)

My suggestion - combine the two and show your Veteran how much you care by taking them out for a sundae. If they are on a restrictive diet, perhaps frozen yogurt or custard would be a healthier choice. You can also split the sundae. After all, it's the time spent together that counts.

What's your favorite sundae flavor and who is your favorite veteran?

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Uncle D, I would love to take you for a sundae! I wish we lived closer. I also have Uncle Lee and brother Cal and brother-in-law Carl to honor.

I hope all of you feel honored and loved today and every day. Thank you for all you have done for America and all Americans.

Btw, my favorite is hot fudge, with or without nuts. How about you?

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 1 month ago

I will take my Dad out for a sundae tomorrow when I get home. He was in Korea and never talks much about it but this way I can thank him in a subtle way. my fav would be Fareway (store brand), french vanilla, with hershey's chocolate syrup. Chocolate should never be hot. No nuts, whipped cream, fruit. Just plain ol' vanilla w/choc syrup.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

I've never had Fareway - I'll check it out. I 'do love French vanilla though. Never have 'hot' chocolate - not even the drink? I agree with your sundae though - less is more. Ok, so I like it with berries and bananas and nuts and cream and cherries. I like it! Iike it!

Thanks to your father on our behalf and enjoy your special time together!

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 1 month ago

Ronda--I think Fareway might be an Iowa/Illiois thing but there may be stores around here.
Nope, I dislike hot chocolate with the burning intensity of a thousand white hot suns. Okay that may have been a little strong but I do dislike hot chocolate.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Now that's descriptive. My tongue is rotting in my mouth just thinking about 'the intensity of a thousand hot suns'. Lol

Is that with hot chocolate only, or do you avoid coffee, tea, soup, etc. as well? Have you considered having your tongue desensitized?

And the thing about hot chocolate - it's great cold! I use to warm ice cream in the microwave so it wasn't so cold.

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 1 month ago

it's only hot chocolate that gets the "burning intensity" descriptive. well hot chocolate, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, hot weather, iced tea, hot tea and sitting around playing cards.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Does some toliet paper also rub you the wrong way? Lol

You sound rather wimpy. I think there are tongue excerices to help you overcome this condition. But first you have to want to change.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, that would be exercises. I'm still in agony about the burning suns.

denak 4 years, 1 month ago

My favorite sundae is just your basic vanilla with fudge and some peanuts.

And my favorite veteran is ME, closely followed by all the amazing men and women I served with in the Marine Corps.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for your service, Denak! I hope you'll treat yourself extra special today - sundae or not! Steak and lobster is always good! :^)

schula 4 years, 1 month ago

My favorite veterans: 1. My father who served in Viet Nam 2. My cousin, Tommy, who is in the Air Force 3. Sid, the son of one of my good friends, who is in Afghanistan as we speak

My favorite sundae flavor: Vanilla ice cream with hot fudge, whipped cream and nuts.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

You likely know your Father's choice in a sundae, how about the other two?

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

A great Sundae for all our great veterans! And also a great Mondae through Saturdae too! Thank you veterans of all conflicts, police actions and wars for your service.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

I know you're trying to quit, but what's your flavor?

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Jamoca Almond Fudge with chocolate syrup and shaved chocolate on top. whipped cream and a cherry too.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Yum. That's my favorite ice cream flavor of all time. Do they offer this at johnnies west.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Last time I had it was at Baskin Robbins when they were still in town 8(

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

I know what you mean. And that would have been oh so close to J west! I've found a similar yet not close enough product at the store but I haven't seen it lately and I don't remember the brand.

Only one thing better was turning it into an ice cream pie over grahmn cracker crust, adding more fudge and cherries.

I think you should go to the nearest BR and stock up. You could get rich selling it door to door!

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

And my favorite veteran was my dad. Wounded twice in WW2 Pacific Theater, Philippines. Recovering in Australia from gunshot to left shoulder when Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed or would have joined invasion of Japan

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

So many of our veterans had incredible circumstances they lived to tell about. I'd like to encourage all veterans to share their stories today. Too many never have.

And what was his favorite ice cream?

justmesis 4 years, 1 month ago

I did just that ! Took Carl to supper and then a hot fudge sundae. It was "fantastic" We saw veterans from all over and had a lot to talk about with them. What an interesting group of men and women. We should all be so proud of our veterans.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Cool! I'm sure he appreciated the extra special treatment. When you put 'fantastic' in quotes like that, it makes me think you're talking about something much more special than ice cream, sis! :^)

I had an email from cousin K saying he wished he could take his Dad for one too. He did call him.

Love you, Sis. Hello and hugs to your special vet!!! I went to the movies last night and they were allowing veterans in for free.