LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

How Your Neighbors Know You've Been On Vacation

Generally speaking, we tell our neighbors when we're going on vacation so they can be on the alert to any unusual comings and goings at our houses. Sometimes, if we're very close, we'll ask them to water the houseplants, check on the pets, and even perform yard work.

If you're like me though, you tell them when you're going away, but you neglect to tell them when you've arrived home.

So here's the fun - what things do you do upon arriving home that alerts your neighbors that you're home. Be precise enough in your answers that we get an idea of where you've been on vacation.

As an additional challenge, write your response in Loku. As you might recall, Loku is a poetic form I created in February of 2009. Loku: simple three word, three syllable format. (loku is pronounced low coo)

Example:

towels dry, sun

Comments

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

sounds fun, man! :) (btw - monkey_c monkey_ do?

monkey_c 5 years, 3 months ago

You got that right. Monkey drink rum...I do to. Then I'm hanging out with a drunk monkey what's a cat to do?

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Kook kat having some fun but don't drink so much you fall on your bum. Nothing sadder than a messed up Catie!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

And I realized I haven't followed my format in any of my examples except my last! Ouch!!!! Out of practice.

Try hard, bum! (that's me talking to myself)

schula 5 years, 3 months ago

It is hard to write in loku!

Hey everyone -- I am giving you the rest of the day off beginning at 11:00. Have a great weekend!

Thanks, shula! Yes, Your word open is two syllables as well! It is hard

We appreciate the afternoon off - lots of yard work, sunny skies! Get outside and do it.

dogs out, bark

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Autie, your neighbor must be like minded, or have similar tastes. Now is this the neighbor who fathered the wife of your son's first cuzin or am I thinking of your half sister twice removed to the county jail again?

Hag, where'd you throw that grass? On potatoes I hope. I couldn't resist calling you by hag - it made my day and hopefully didn't upset yours! :)

Roe, I let the other cuzins slack, but you must rewrite since you're the learned cuzin. Follow the loku format, please!

Thief found, jail?

Tom Shew, wins

(unlike the other cuzins, flattery works fine on me. It's right up there with chocolate).

Vertigo has been camping!!! Am I correct? Huh, huh?

Sun burn, peel!

Deja,

trash can, stench trash man, retch!

Tom, you've reversed your words and turned the loku into a kulo. Attention to detail, man! I hope you're not flipping your hot doggy around on the grill like that!

Yards, I like that idea - vacationing at Free State! TGIF. It seems to work for consumer. Whenever he/she goes the tan seems enhanced.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 3 months ago

Okay I think I'm lost on the loku thing..... the only "vacation" I'll be taking soon is to have a baby so what would be a good one for that?

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Autie and Bob had very appropriate ones for you Deja!

Hold child, love

sing soft, sleep

rock slow, nod

save bucks, school

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Charlie, nice attempt! You must be a quick study

river, some horse race, eh. Excuse me:

some race, eh?

I bet on Lucky as my second place winner. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the Belmont.

I watched the race from a new/old friend's house in Florida so that was a first.

Place bet, win!

riverdrifter 5 years, 3 months ago

The 2010 Triple Crown has fallen apart. Lucky shipped to Long Island (it's home) but isn't running in the Belmont and neither are a bunch of others from the first two races. We'll see who shows up and put some kind of a wager together. Probably across-the-board bets on 2-3 horses. Think they need to spread out those races, make them the first Saturdays of May-June-July. Lucky ran well in the Ark derby, 3 weeks later won the Derby, 2 weeks later ran in the Preakness and finished out of the money and is done for the year.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

I was having the same thought when it comes to the triple crown. It seems more and more unlikely that we'll see a horse able to do the three. I'm sure you're correct in that the horses need more down time following each race. I'm sure some of them require time to settle in after travel - I know I do.

It's a whole different race coming up!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Bad horse, whip! (just kidding animal right's activists!)

catch fish, fry (still kidding animal right's activists!)

denak 5 years, 3 months ago

car space back

Ok that isn't a great one, probably doesn't even qualify, but every summer they go away for about a month, and for a month, I know I can go home and not have to worry that those bums are in my parking space.......again.

Dena:)

It worked fine, Dena. You may want to try:

car space, back!

Yes, those spaces are important places. Or is it our places are important spaces.

Car park, lark

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Lol joy, fun. (lol in this context is one word)

good one, friend

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Good ones, Ron (see format used - all are fine, break down with two words, comma, one word.

Take hike, thu!

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

thuja does not play? will not post long I hear say! will be quite okay . .

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

From Wikipedia

Thuja - (pronounced /ˈθuːdʒə/ or /ˈθjuːdʒə/)[2] is a genus of coniferous trees in the Cupressaceae (cypress family).

does everyone with a wood related name have to be obnoxious?

is thuja related to the "Oak" species? is thuja really "Oak"?

Give us about 30 seconds, shouldn't be that difficult . . .

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

About now is when I should be getting told where to go. In 3, . . .2, . . .

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Think thuja NOT Oak . . I hope can take bit of joke, If not can go soak

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Strange thing, life odd blend, joke? roe's mind, plague no guess, here. Times up, safe

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Sun hot, sweat sick ivy, get? Take bath, fast watch for, signs ooze seep, itch more of, bitch! :)

Interesting last post.

FYI, it has come to my attention that there are at least two other definitions of loku besides mine - one used as a flower description and one used as a bad example of a haiku. Guess we now have several meanings for the same word. Are there any words that don't have several meanings?

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

we all know 'no' means "NO!", don't we? maybe? most of the time? except . .uh . . oh, nevermind!!

Ron Holzwarth 5 years, 3 months ago

Wait, that should have been:

Hitched back, broke.

Because it's a long hike back from Las Vegas!

Hell to, pay?

Ron, watch your syllable count.

Hike back, slow

Thumb out, ride?

Slow down, please!!!!! Glad you made it and safely we trust.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years, 3 months ago

What? Aren't burned, hiked, and hitched all one syllable words? I checked with http://www.thefreedictionary.com, and that site says they are. It is very different for burning, hiking, and hitching.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Excuse me, Ron. I was pronouncing them: burned ed, hiked ed, hitched ed! :)

what can I say, it was past my eleven o'clock curfew. :)

so now that you've been bitched ed, will you still be coming back?

Ron Holzwarth 5 years, 3 months ago

Of course! I'm always checking to see if you've got a blog going!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

I've been on a poetry jag recently. I just submitted seven to the Ljworld so watch for them!

I'll get a couple of blogs posted this week - I was in Florida last weekend and I've yet to catch up. Feels as though I brought Florida home.

Thanks for participating in our online forum and so nicely! Obviously a western Kansas product!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Trying to assist in putting those ideas into the loku format - sounds as though you had a nice getaway.

Parked van, aired Trash bin, filled Home now, rest!

make_a_difference 5 years, 3 months ago

I do, daughter three days, ex good mom, me home now, whew!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Breathe now, done should feel, proud kick up, heels take off, slacks. Job well, done! :) do just, once