LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Hot Air and Horns: A Musical Tuesday

Driving to and from St. Francis, Kansas this past weekend gave me the opportunity to enjoy not only the scenery, but many other things I truly love about our great state. I'm sure there will be more along that line coming from me in the form of poetry, but for today the topic turns to hot air and horns.

I could picture the Cavalry atop one of the russet colored bluffs and imagined I heard a lone soldier playing a bugle medley. I could also feel the hot wind that mid to western Kansas has flowing through it like the national treasure it has turned out to be. (think windmills)

So today, in honor of all the hot air that exists in our world - man made or natural - our musical Tuesday will be about musical solos in your favorite songs that include hot air and horns.

Please take the time to share a link to your song, the performer's name and the instrument that's causing all the stir. I realize you might think harmonicas, but lets do that one another time.

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Louis Armstrong

"Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" - lots of raw emotion in this one!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm an obvious fan of his and never tire of listening to Louie's hot air in voice or horn!

Hello Dolly

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Practice and more practice...So much practice......

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

That is one of my absolutely favorite songs of all time. Got to hear it live a few years ago during a concert encore....

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Lucky you! I'm jealous. That would have been worth your ticket price alone.

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

speaking of hot air! I'm already "winded"!!

Kontum1972 4 years, 5 months ago

"yippie skippie"... Woody Farmer.....on the swineharp....

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Herb Alpert -"Whipped Cream Whipped Cream"

1965 . . . 17 years old, THAT album cover. What more can I say . . .

schula 4 years, 5 months ago

My parents had/have the album that you are referring to!

Kontum1972 4 years, 5 months ago

"Did that come out of Me"..... Pink Peach Mob

Romans832 4 years, 5 months ago

I can't find any video, but our own Lawrence Kansas has quite the jazz trumpet player: Paul Gray. Ever heard of the Gaslight Gang? He was part of that. He's scheduled to perform on July 22 as part of the brown bag concert series at noon at 9th and Mass.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi, oak. Haven't seen you for a time. Hope all is well.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for that heads up, roman. I am indeed familiar with Paul Gray's fabulous 'hot air' And that is a performance worth taking some heat for.

Roe, Boots and Herb are tops. Good choices!

Schula, country hot air? :). Why not!

schula 4 years, 5 months ago

Ronda -- will look for some "country" hot air soon. I was at my Weight Watchers meeting and then at Taco Tuesday!

schula 4 years, 5 months ago

INXS -- "Never Tear Us Apart" sax solo

One of my most favorite songs ever!

schula 4 years, 5 months ago

INXS -- "Mediate" sax solo

One of my most favorite bands

riverdrifter 4 years, 5 months ago

Made me think of World Cup soccer games. Nightmarish sound, not that I'm watching much soccer. The Vuvuzela horns have taken over...

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Interesting article. That concert in July with Philip Glass would be incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Good ones! I'll have a chance to find some later.

riverdrifter 4 years, 5 months ago

Stan Getz. Here's some Getz & Gilberto. Perfect mojito sippin' music on a hot summer evening. Iconic song.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Say it three times as fast as you can - quite difficult.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Haha, Sharp eyes, thanks for catching that.

For our native Anericans one might have represented the other.

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

I am partial to saxophones, although the topic is about horns. I always liked Huey Lewis and Heart of Rock and roll.

Then there is anyone's trombone solo on Bein Green. Kermit just covered it.

I also like the brass and sax in Lucretia McEvil by Blood Sweat and Tears, and In the Stone by Earth Wind and Fire. 'Sing a Song' isnt bad either. It has awesome brass and sax.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm with several of the ones you name, mom. Love a good sax player.

Roe, love Miles Davis too. We'll be strutting with some BBQ come Saturday. Any Wild Bills among us? :)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

That will work. Add some hot sauce and move a little faster. Any cake walks? ;)

lonelane_1 4 years, 5 months ago

Another favorite rock horn solo!

Rolling Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"

Ronda Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Nice ones, lonelane. Love them both and in particular, Can't You Hear Me Knocking"

IndusRiver 4 years, 5 months ago

Bows and flows of angel hair and ice cream castles in the air And feather canyons everywhere, I've looked at clouds that way. But now they only block the sun, they rain and snow on everyone. So many things i would have done but clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now, From up and down, and still somehow It's cloud illusions i recall. I really don't know clouds at all.

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels, the dizzy dancing way you feel As every fairy tale comes real; I've looked at love that way. But now it's just another show. you leave 'em laughing when you go And if you care, don't let them know, don't give yourself away.

I've looked at love from both sides now, From give and take, and still somehow It's love's illusions i recall. I really don't know love at all.

Tears and fears and feeling proud to say "i love you" right out loud, Dreams and schemes and circus crowds, I've looked at life that way. But now old friends are acting strange, they shake their heads, they say I've changed. Something's lost but something's gained in living every day.

I've looked at life from both sides now, From win and lose, and still somehow It's life's illusions i recall. I really don't know life at all.

IndusRiver 4 years, 5 months ago

Listen people to a story that was written long ago, 'bout a kingdom on a mountain And the valley folks below. On the mountain was a treasure Hidden deep beneath a stone, And the valley people swore They'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end. There won't be any trumpets blowing, come the judgement day, On the bloody morning after One Tin Soldier rides away.

So the people of the valley sent a message up the hill, Asking for the buried treasure Tons of gold for which they'd kill. Came the answer from the kingdom, With our brothers we will share, All the riches of the mountain, All the treasure buried there.

Now the valley cried with anger, Mount your horses, draw your swords And they killed the mountain people, So they won their just rewards Now they stood before the treasure On the mountain dark and red Turned the stone and looked beneath it Peace On Earth, was all it said.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, Go ahead and cheat and friend, Do it in the name of heaven, You can justify it in the end. There won't be any trumpets blowing Come the judgment day, On the bloody morning after One Tin Soldier rides away.

IndusRiver 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh...horns...figures.

Nobody touches Blood, Sweat, & Tears. Nobody.

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm thinkin' the next reincarnation she should come back as "hun" . . . might take, oh, three seconds less to out her

camper 4 years, 5 months ago

Always liked a good horn section in the backround. Seems to add a lot to the overall performance. The horn players are always underated. Here are a couple that come to mind:

schula 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey Camper -- great songs! I especially liked the one by the New Standards.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 5 months ago

The whole Eddie and the Cruisers soundtrack.

schula 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey everyone -- I am so sorry that I forgot to give you the afternoon off. Please forgive me! To make up for it, everyone can have the whole day off on Friday, July 2.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

Thanks, Schula. That should make it up to us. I'd like to request all of next week off as well? Any thoughts on that? ;)