LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Reminder to submit science fiction September - excerpt, "The Poet - That Madman"

"Lattw Niwamh moved smoothly and confidently to the front of the packed auditorium. The poetess had given readings of her poetry so many times previously that it caused as much excitement as her morning cup of caffeine free tea. She didn't begin to realize until hours later, having removed her dramatic bright red lipstick, sheer foundation and deep magenta eye liner with matching mascara, as she climbed into bed that evening, that the poetry she had read that day was not her own.

At the exact same instant, another poet, Lyiem Kensocdin, crossed and uncrossed his legs impatiently. He was old fashioned. He was as computer savvy as any of the upcoming poets of the day, but he preferred to sit with his bottle of scotch on the balcony overlooking the courtyard where women and girls in multicolored skirts and peasant tops sashayed far below. Sometimes he could catch the faint odor of their perfumes as they mingled together and made their way to where he sat.

He felt frustrated; he'd been trying to write a poem that he couldn't seem to push out of his mind all day. It wasn't until he closed his eyes for a brief moment that it became clear what he was going to write. He was delighted with the final product - it had flowed out of him as a vessel; the way poetry is supposed to come. It was good, really good and he was excited to share it with his mistress of the past six months - Lyiem went through women like most men consume wine or cigars.

He rang Lattw on his iPhone. No sooner did he begin to recite his poem when she joined in, completing word for word everything he had just written.

What they didn't know, but were about to find out, was that every poet in the world had just written the same poem. There would be many more to come, but where were they coming from. Were they a message from God delivered through the poet to the masses in order to save humanity, or were they something more sinister? Perhaps, they were simply another sign of the poet - that madman."

The previous paragraphs are from my science fiction piece, "The Poet - That Madman"

Rules for the contest:

Submit your original science fiction short by August 1st to ronda@sunflower.com (or via ljworld at random)

Your submission must not be longer than 999 words, but it can be shorter.

There will be a panel of five judges from varied backgrounds. Please submit one story only.

Prizes include gift certificate to Borders (supplied by our Fiction 500 winner Roe), and a $50.00 gift certificate to your favorite restaurant.

Top winning stories, along with names of the author, will be published online during the month of September.

Have fun - make it 'unreal'!

Comments

adewvall 3 years, 8 months ago

Aww shucks. I just logged on to see when the deadline was, only to realize it has passed. Silly me, I thought a Sci-Fi September contest would be IN September. I will know better for next year! Looking forward to reading the entrants' pieces.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry I didn't see this until my return home. There were many people I would have enjoyed looking up. Not nearly enough time, but I sure had a terrific time. I'll be going to the next reunion!

As far as your previous story, Ron, that could be turned into a book with your creative imagination. Go for it! And it may inspire you to dream another sci fi piece. We do have control over what we dream - we are the creator. Ask yourself to dream something.......

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Ron, Mr. Kealing can answer your question better than I. My understanding is that it's still your story to use as you desire, but I think anything we write can also be used by the World Company if that makes sense.

Your story was over 999 words. Quite a good one at that and I agree you don't want to shorten it.

You'll never guess where I am in a million years, Ron!

Step it up, the first story has been submitted and it's a dandy! :)

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 10 months ago

Ronda, do the authors lose their copyright if they win and are published here?

And, is it possible for you to do a word count on 'The Ride', which I sent you a copy of a few months back, to see if it is less than 999 words? Actually, I think it went way over that. Sorry, but I really can't shorten it any more, it's already been condensed as much as I believe is possible without losing essentials.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

More time to come up with science fiction stories! Good plan. Thanks, Schula.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

BTW -- everyone can have afternoon off, starting at 11:30. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Geez, do you do novels as well, schula? :)

you may be kept very, very busy.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

If anyone else wants me to proof their work, you can contact me through here or Ronda.

tange 3 years, 10 months ago

What's going on with the LJW website, tonight?

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Water towers like onions - she walked to the moon. You've got some delightful images going on, pro life. It seems as though I'm about to be sprayed with blood though. Remember sci fi isn't the same as horror, although they can certainly hold hands and feed each other popcorn. Please keep writing, submit it for our contest.

If anyone wants to assist in the judging department, please contact me.

Schula proof reads wonderfully well, Roe. She helped me a great deal this week as did Lonelane and jemerson. Besides, werds seem to be treakie fur ya.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

Cousin Roe -- if you want me to proof read your story let me know. I will be happy to do it for you.

prolifersforwar 3 years, 10 months ago

As she hotwired the el camino, she said I could come too if I didn't want to stick around to see if any more semi-dead were coming. I didn't even have my door closed when she floored it. The third semi-dead we hit kicked over the hood and spiderwebbed the windshield. I hated when they still had their eyes. There's no way we'll get to Omaha, she said. We drove and until we ran out of gas and coasted into a town just off the highway. I would've known where we were except they'd knocked over the water tower, and it lay name side down like a big broken onion. You're on your own, the woman said. She walked toward the moon. I never saw her again. I wandered. If only Stevie could've seen this place. But he'd already been, well, I won't say. I never should've left him at the Assistant Oracle's house. The semi-dead seemed organized that night, like they'd learned to think, or do simple crosswords. We'd given up looking for the chosen one. All the real heroes had already been eaten anyway. Mostly I liked finding bags of hamburger buns and eating them with ketchup. I was free. I missed Stevie though. I heard them shuffling around in the nuclear fog. They chased me to the silo and there I made my stand. The chainsaw finally screamed to life as I yanked the cord. I halved three semi-dead who'd gotten too close and waved the saw around as they encircled me. This is for Stevie, I said. And for America.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

You certainly seem to have a way with werds. No shortage atall.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Dang, up to 600 werds an aint gots the story half did yet! dint know the cuzins culd be socolorful two rite bout. gues i gots plenny of tiem to edditit

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, the cuzins best be in top writing form. Remember, it must be under a thousand words and I know your lives are stranger than fiction, but make it sci fi!

You will really have fun with this one and the rest of us will love reading your story.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

an roedy we's better look to sum improffed werds and uses sintince structured cuz i think ronada wood recoenize ar ritin stiiles

tange 3 years, 10 months ago

I may be up for a 99-word lo-fi... or maybe a little sciku...

my phaser on stun hers cranked to full overkill boldly, I go... gone

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

i beter get on them vaykayshuns with sum cuzins and dremed sumpthin up but it weren't no lie cuz it really happens but wuz a lie cuz i sed it dint......OK? how many werds did you says we cain't use? an we cain't fight none? geez ronada yu took all the fun out a ready.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

See there you go. Got me thinkin, then writin', now I gots 400 werds writ already. Heck, at this rate I could write the Cuzins Encycopeddlia Britiania by September!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Put your weapons away - grab a poet, fight with words of love

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

durn raygun teknolligy too dam nue never noe wich way its gonna shoot

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with that assessment. Roe, you could present a follow up short from your first story.

I wonder if any cuzins will submit funny sci fi! That'd be a great blend.

Kontum, you accidentally hurt your liver with your ray gun? Point away - always the other direction.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

Roe -- I will be interested in reading your sci fi story. I really enjoyed your short story from the earlier contest.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Waaaaayy too soon to think boutit!! Let me know around, oh August 25th. Otherwise I will over think it and ruin it. Just so happens I'm in a scifi reading mood lately so plenty of material to plageri... I mean give me ideas to work off of.

(Already have a couple of good ideas...)

Ronda Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm not a big sci fan either normally, but I've been writing a couple recently oddly enough. I did have a fine science fiction professor, Mr. James Gunn, and I suggest you read anything he's written (available in most languages too!) to gain love and insight.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

Not a big fan of science fiction but the beginning of your story has be intrigued!