LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Musical Thursday: har har hardly the weekend!

Two work days to make it through before the explosive thought of July 4th, and the day following as paid vacation for most of us, so let's pass the time sharing some of our favorite performers and performances that have instrument solos with the letters 'har' in them. I'm thinking harmonica (a personal favorite), harp and harpsichord.

Who are your favorite 'har' pos, 'har' poons, and 'har' pers? Yeah, yeah, yeah - Lennon could really play a mean harmonica as can Dylan.

List your song and performer and share a link so we can enjoy. One post per comment, please.

Comments

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

After some "slow blues"?

There it's James Cotton you want to take the cotton out of your ears to listen to.... ;)

schula 5 years, 2 months ago

Bruce Springsteen -- Thunder Road

harmonica to begin the song

K_Verses_The_World 5 years, 2 months ago

Dylan's "Every Grain of Sand" as it appeared on Biograph The harmonica will make you cry if the words don't

"That was an inspired song that came to me. It wasn't really too difficult. I felt like I was just putting words down that were coming from somewhere else, and I just stuck it out."

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

K_Verses, that is an incredible song - I didn't realize just now that George Harrison did a version of it too - as did Emmy Lou Harris...I'm trying to find a link with Dylan so if anyone finds one post, please.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

"Hey Baby, Won't You Be My Girl" - Bruce Channel (love this song)

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

That was an incredible sound coming out of that little instrument!

This would have been worth being in San Quentin

Johnny Cash with two harmonicas!!!!

"Orange Blossom Special"

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

Harpo Marx

He really did have a talent with the harp . . .

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

I actually didn't know that! thanks....

K_Verses_The_World 5 years, 2 months ago

Got to be an important person to be in here, honey Got to have done some evil deed Got to have your own harem when you come in the door Got to play your harp until your lips bleed

myvotecounts 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree, Ronda! That's the first song I thought of when I saw you thread. Here's the next one:

"Piano Man", by Billy Joel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9rfWucgeY

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

Love that song. Today's game is one of those where each song that is played makes me think - That's one of my favorite songs!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

Cool song - I liked the combination of all the instruments - spoons included.

myvotecounts 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Steven Tyler is a master. I loved the big hair flashback in some of those clips.

Ok, one more fave before I leave...

"Never Comes the Day," by The Moody Blues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzRdy...

Kontum1972 5 years, 2 months ago

Duane Allman..live at the Fillmore (the whole album) and Eat A Peach

schula 5 years, 2 months ago

Before I forget, I am giving everyone the whole day off tomorrow! Happy 4th of July!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

I've known of him and have met him and listened to him. Great performer and entertainer. Good on you for mentioning him!

Romans832 5 years, 2 months ago

I had a momentary (or longer) lapse on the name (even if I've been to one of his concerts), but the internet came through, using a couple of key words!

Greg Buchanan playing Amazing Grace on the harp... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj9t94...

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to hunt down and post!

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey, river. John owns it in that number. Not forgotten in the least.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

45 years since Alice's Resturant? Say it ain't so, Roe! :)

I'm guessing he still performs but I've never been fortunate enough to catch in concert. Have you? Amazing Grace - amazing performance.

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey, he's on tour! Scheduled to be in Salina, Ks March 17,2011

Not too late to get tickets!

Sonny Boy Williamson

"Your Funeral and My Trial" gotta love the lyrics in this one too! "....cut out the off the wall jive - if you don't, it will be your funeral and my trial....." Boy do I ever want to use that line!

lonelane_1 5 years, 2 months ago

First, I gotta' say K_Verses_The_World quoted one of my favorite songs in the world. More than once in my life I've asked myself "What's a sweetheart like you doing in a dump like this?"

Second, I gotta' say, I saw Arlo Guthrie at the Lied Center not really all that long ago. Great show.

Lots of good suggestions here. I think Willie Nelson's long time harmonica player, Mickey Raphael is really great.

But here's Mick being awesome on the harmonica on "Midnight Rambler" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht1VIn...

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh yes. Absolutely love it! I'm amazed no one had played that one but it had slipped my mind until now. I wrote the lyrics down and placed it under beachlady's pillow one night while she was out being a midnight gambler?

And I didn't go with you to Arlo why? How many concerts have you been too? You also are the type who has your ticket stubs too.

lonelane_1 5 years, 2 months ago

BTW, the "Midnight Rambler" Mick is a totally different Mick than Willie Nelson's Mickey :)

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

You can say that again, but you don't have to. :)

vacation, it's just a breath away, breath away.

lonelane_1 5 years, 2 months ago

My ticket stub tells me it's been longer than I thought since I saw Arlo at the Lied Center. :)

It was his 2005 "40th Anniversary of Alice's Restaurant" Tour. Seems like only yesterday.

Let's just say my ticket stub collection spans more than 1 or 2 decades. I'll get back to you on that "how many concerts question." It might take me a day or 2 to figure out. I'm looking forward to seeing Dylan for the 4th time this summer. Maybe he'll play the harmonica.

Vacation days - roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I'm interested in seeing your tally.

I'm excited about seeing Dylan too. I've seen fewer concerts but I should still gather them together for rocking chair remembering days.